First Coincidence

Now That You've Found Me...

"So, Sungjoon." Lizzy called out to Jinah who was in the bathroom that was connected to Lizzy's room in her dorm suite. Nana stopped what she was doing for a moment in confusion before replying.

"Yes? What about him...?" 

"Well, he's cute." 

"I don't have time for boys."

"You and Kris have been over for almost a year."

"And?"

"You need to get back out there."

"I hardly know that guy!" Jinah said walking out into the room

"So that's how a lot of great relationships start."

"We're friends...not even that but I don't know him."

"Get to know him." 

"I'll probably never see him again." Jinah said sitting down on the bed next to Lizzy.

"He's friends with Woobin you're definitely going to see him again." 

"I don't think so, let's not talk about this."

"He makes you nervous?"

"No, I just have no connection to him and want no connection. I need to get to the library though, are you coming?" Jinah looked at Lizzy who just stared back at her. 

"Seriously? You're asking me that? Of course not!" Lizzy said rolling her eyes. 

"Fine, later" Nana grabbed her back pack and then left the suite while Lizzy shook her head. 

-x-

Sungjoon let out a long breath as he stared at the large book on the table in front of him. He was seriously regretting picking medicine as his future profession. He desperately needed a cigarette but he promised Seolhyun he would give it up now that he was moving up in the world. Promises were of course meant to be broken - no no no stay strong, he thought. Closing his eyes he leaned back in his chair - which was rather uncomfortable - and ran a hand through his hair.

"Oh," his eyes popped open at the sudden noise and he sat up and saw her.

Her hair was in a bun on the top of her head and she was wearing a pair of mint shorts with a white tank top and a simple denim jacket. She had no makeup on from what he could tell and she still looked so beautiful.

"hi," He said with a smile. She looked around awkwardly as she smiled back

"How are you?" she asked clearing .

"I'm fine just studying for class, lots of reading and the year hasn't even started. How are you?"

"I'm doing the same, we have an exam on the first day."

"That , but my professor said we'll likely have a pop quiz on any of the material in the first six chapters so I guess that means I'll have no time for sleep. These chapters are like 50 pages each." She laughed pulling out the chair across from her instinctively

"Yea I know! It's totally crazy but it'll be worth it once you start actually being able to work on patients and make a difference in peoples lives. As in save them."

"I know, it's the one thing I'm looking forward to. And being able to take care of my mom and sister." Jinah nodded before her eyes went wide

"I'm sorry I didn't even ask to sit down." She jumped from her seat like it was on fire and Sungjoon just laughed

"No you're fine, I'm in need of a break I've been here for hours." She nodded sitting down again and pulling her books out of her bag.

-x-

Every now and then when he'd stop to rest his eyes while reading he would look up and remember that she was there. She was so quiet that he didn't notice her presence. She had a slight frown as he read which made her look like a frustrated child. It was kind of cute he couldn't lie. After she sat down she didn't try and spark any conversation and pretty much focused on what she was there to do. Looking down at his phone he checked the time finally realizing that he had been there for six hours. how the time managed to pass him he had no idea. What was it like to be outside? he thought as he looked at the exit door with longing.

"Is that your girlfriend?" He jumped a little to look at the girl who suddenly seemed to not be consumed by her book and actually noticed his phone background. He looked down at it too and realized it was a picture of him and his younger sister, Seolhyun.

"No my sister." her cheeks turned pink slightly as she nodded. "A lot of people ask that actually, she looks quite old. I have my friends practically stalking her at home to make sure no bums approach her." Sungjoon said seriously.

"You would get along with Sukwon - my older brother - he's very protective of me. When the whole situation went down with Kris he handled everything. Talked to my parents explaining why everything was happening and why I wouldn't further contact with him and even got Kris in trouble for some things that he had been excused for. He kind of just takes care of me in a way no one else could. Your sister is probably very thankful for you, even if she doens't tell you often."  she smiled at him before looking back down at her book as if she had never stopped to have the conversation in the first place.

-x-

About an hour later Sungjoon decided to leave the library, and his stomach wouldn't stop growling and it was getting louder with each time. When he walked out it was night and he was shocked since it really didn't feel like he had been in there that long. He hit his pants pocket feeling the pack of cigarettes and lighter and inhaled deeply trying to decide if he really wanted to do this. He continued to walk but pulled out the pack and stared at the cigarettes inside. Maybe if he just had this one pack and once it was gone, it was gone. Then he would really be done, only smoke when he thinks it's worth it and once this last full pack was gone, it was done. 

He reached the convenient store that was across from campus and went inside buying some food and decided he couldn't wait to get back to his room and just ate there. He was exhausted, he hadn't had a full nights sleep since he got there and honestly didn't know if he ever would again. All of the reading he had to do was already a lot though he was quite interested in the stuff he was learning. 

"Hi again," he looked to his left and saw Jinah smiling shyly setting down her noddles.

"Why are you here?" 

"I was insanely hungry and I got sick of reading. I actually have been at the library for hours but I like to change spots every few hours to keep me more awake and not so secluded." 

"I see," 

"What a coincidence seeing you here though." 

"Yea, we just keep bumping into each other."

"I think this means we're friends now."

"Oh we weren't before? I'm hurt."

"Stop, we are officially now. I don't have many friends so-"

"Oh well I'm honored!" Jinah laughed

"Stop, I just meant..I only have Lizzy."

"Well add me to that list." Sungjoon held out his hand which she took and they shared a smile.