First Glance

Now That You've Found Me...

Seoul National University was written in bold blue font at the entrance of the campus. Sung Joon stared at the sign with a scowl on his face as he lit a cigarette desperately needing one for what was likely waiting for him. His mother insisted that he transferred to this University after his advisor at his community school suggested he go into a more suitable profession. His plan was to be and engineer or something but he took this filler class that involved medical things and he had straight A’s the whole semester compared to the B’s he got in his other classes. Of course this excited his mother and he had to start applying himself so he would be selected to be in the medical program here. His grades in high school were always A’s, though he didn’t seem like the type to get those grades from first glance. The full ride he received here was enough to convince his mother this was a sign and that his father would be as proud as she was. Anything to make her happy and allow her to stop working 4 jobs would be great in his eyes, even though it meant being here.

"Where’s your dorm sweetie?" His mother said rushing up behind him with his younger sister Seolhyun close behind. 

"Uh, somewhere…." He looked down at the packet he got from the registration lady and read it. "the welfare dorms are…on the far end." He grumbled handing the packet over to his mother who read it over nodding as she took in the information.

"Okay let’s get moving I have to drive back and make it to work so we can’t take long." She turned and ushered Seolhyun back down the path to their car before shouting over her shoulder "Oh and take that cigarette out of your mouth! I raised a young man not a bum." She shook her head before adding under her breath "If only he would fix that mess of hair on his head, it looks like a mop." Seolhyun laughed looking back at her brother who was watching them as they walked with a bemused face. 

Sung Joon took a long drag from his cigarette and gave one last look at the hell hole he was going to be spending his next few years. He dropped his cigarette to the ground stepping on it before following his mom and sister to their car. 

-x-

 

Jinah looked at herself in her mirror taking in her outfit. She had on a floral circle skirt and a cream colored sweater. Her dark brown hair was down with a light wave to it. Being the daughter of an elite family meant she always had to look her best since she represented her family and was always looking for a future suitor. Jinah was definitely a daddy's girl from day one, he father was wrapped around her finger; though she wasn't the type to take advantage of her father because of it. She was a quiet girl and often was reading and to herself always following the rules and focusing on making her dreams come true. 

 

When she was 16 years old she volunteered at a hospital over the summer and in her time there she realized she wanted to go to school and become a nurse. Being from the family that she's from she of course didn't have to further her education and could travel or marry. She wanted to do more. Her brother Jungsuk was more of the socialite out of the two, very popular with the girls for his looks and his passion in soccer. He's set to take over the family company when their father retires, then likely marry his long time girlfriend Hyojoo. Jinah was really close to her brother and would talk to him if there was ever anything bothering her.

 

"Miss Jinah." She jumped a little turning and looking at her bedroom door to see her maid standing there smiling. "Your car is ready." She said in her soft voice nodding her head before walking away. Jinah stared at the doorway a little longer before looking at herself in the mirror once more. She nodded in approval before going to her bed grabbing her purse and rushing out the door. 

 

-x-

 

"This campus is so beautiful.." Sung Joon's mother said looking out the window in awe. She looked over at Sung Joon who was slouching in the front seat and hit his arm "Seriously be more excited this is a big achievement. I'm so proud." She gave him a smile before looking at Seolhyun in the rearview mirror. "If you apply yourself maybe you can go to school here...or any university." Seolhyun smiled knowing she aimed to make something of herself though her passion was acting. 

 

"That's the building over there." Sung Joon said lazily pointing at tall old brown brick building that was behind the nicer looking dorms

 

"This is lovely." She said always being the optimist of a situation which made Sung Joon smirk a little knowing he'll miss his mother while he was gone for the semester. She parked the car in the designated spot behind another car with a family unloading. 

 

They all exited the car and started unpacking so they could carry the few duffle bags and two suitcases that Sung Joon had. What he packed is pretty much all he owned since they didn't make a lot. As Sung Joon was closing the trunk a black car with out windows sped by. He shook his head at the site and walked the the sidewalk when someone bumped into him.

 

"Hey watch it!" Sung Joon said glaring at the guy who walked into him.

 

"Sorry I was looking at the same thing as you." The guy said with a smirk confusing Sung Joon 

 

"Which was..?" Sung Joon asked

 

"That car." Sung Joon stared at him blankly "You must be new, no worries you bumped into the right person I can help you out. I'm Woobin." The guy held his hand out to Sung Joon who hesitantly took it. "Now that car it belonged to IMTech, the presidents daughter goes here. She's gorgeous but such a nerd, you'd know her as soon as you saw her cause trust me she'll take your breath away." 

 

Sung Joon took in this information and looked back at the road the car disappeared down wondering about the girl. He shook his head and listened to this guy who lived in one of the nicer dorms near his own. He helped them carry stuff upstairs and quickly found a place with his mother and sister who asked him to watch out for Sung Joon. Soon he was saying goodbye to his mother and sister who both were trying not to cry. He had to do well so he could get better for them.

 

-x-

 

"Jinah good to see you again." Mr. Choi said smiling at Jinah as she walked into his office and took a seat.

 

"It's nice to see you also," Jinah said smiling back as he sat down also. 

 

"I looked over your schedule for the semester and you're taking a lot of classes, are you sure you're going to be able to handle the load?" He asked always being one to get to the point since he knew that his more elite students always had better things to do. Jinah smiled shyly.

 

"Yes I will be fine, I honestly was thinking of signing up for more volunteer hours at the hospital." She said 

 

"Oh I wouldn't think you'd have time, when would you fit in a social life?" Mr. Choi asked knowing that Jinah was more of a shy girl but always wanting her to break out of her shell. 

 

"I know I will find time, you know Lizzy is always inviting me places."

 

Lizzy was Jinah's best friend and also her cousin so they were together a lot. She also went to Seoul National University and was getting her degree in Law. Lizzy was very different from Jinah; she was loud and social and loved to party and live up life. Though she was smart she didn't worry too much about school much to her parents dismay. Jinah didn't have many friends but Lizzy was family and she was always there for Jinah even though they were so different. 

 

"Yes of course, well let's look over your classes shall we?" Mr. Choi said hoping he could talk her out of one class at least. 

 

-x-

 

"You want to go into med school?" Mr. Jung said looking at Sung Joon over the transcript paper he printed out. Sung Joon didn't have time to relax since he had to rush over to his meeting with his advisor. 

 

"Yes," Sung Joon replied with a bored voice.

 

"I see," Mr. Jung eyed him skeptically not completely buying it. Looking Sung Joon over he more looked like a homeless man than a future doctor in South Korea. 

 

"Look I have the grades to get into the progam and they accepted me. If I fail then why don't you laugh at me then, for right now just tell me my classes so we both can go and do other things." Sung Joon said seeming to get a common ground with the advisor who shrugged and moved the meeting on quickly.

 

-x-

 

Jinah walked towards the exit after calling her car to come get her. She pushed through the first set of doors and saw a guy standing outside looking around, just standing there. He was wearing jeans and a grey plaid shirt even though it was a pretty nice day. She looked around trying to see what he could be looking at but saw nothing of real interest. She pushed through the last set of doors and he turned hearing her exit and turned back around. Just as quickly as he looked away he was looking back at her. She tried not to look at him but she could feel his eyes and gave in looking back at him. She couldn't see much of his face since his hair was a mess on the top of his head. He didn't look like anyone she had ever seen before yet he looked around her age maybe older. He must be a transfer, she thought, a medical intern since he came from this building. She blinked realizing she was stared at him yet she found it hard to look away since he was different...she smiled and quickly looked away none the less. 

 

She stopped at the curb and waited for her car to come. She felt him look at her again but she felt awkward and didn't want to look back. She saw her care coming up the hill and let out a thankful sigh. The guy started walking away and she took that chance to look at him. Just when she was going to look away he turned and they locked eyes. Interesting, she thought as he smirked looking forward again just as her car pulled up in front of her.

 

-x-

 

Sung Joon squinted as he walked out of the building and sighed looking down at the schedule in his hand again before folding it and stuffing it in his pocket. The door opened behind him and he looked over his shoulder at the person before looking forward again. He stopped though feeling his heart stop in his chest making him look again as a girl walked towards him. This must be her, he thought as he stared at her. He stared so much she looked at him them both making eye contact not breaking it for a while. She smiled before breaking contact and stopping on the sidewalk a few feet from him. He looked forward and cleared his throat not believing this was the girl that everyone lost their over. He looked at her again but her face was hidden by her hair that was blowing with the wind. He smirked shaking his head again before looking forward. He saw the same black car coming up the hill in the distance knowing that it was for her. Since he had a walk back to his dorm he started moving down the sidewalk and felt his bak stiffen so he turned and looked back at her only to see that she was already staring at him. They locked eyes again but this time he broke contact shooting her a smirk before continuing on his way. 

 

Interesting, he thought. He was already fascinated by her and knew that she was only going to cause trouble if he even thought of trying to get close to her. Not that they even would have anything in common but...there was some type of mystery in her. Maybe this will be a fun year for him. First Glance this campus doesn't seem so bad.