Chapter 1

Young Money

 

A/N - Hey everyone.  Here is the first chapter.  Please review and subscribe!  It means a lot.  And Merry Christmas!!

***

It was a cool sight, like it belonged in Teen Vogue or Glamour.  The young man stood in a pair of faded blue jeans and a simple white V-neck.  He was leaning against the 96th street entrance into Central Park.  It was a cool August day with soft winds and a bright sun in the Big Apple. 

 

The young man pulled out his iPhone from his pocket.  He went through his contacts and clicked on a contact to call.  The contact was Tiffany Hwang’s.  A picture came up of a beautiful young woman with smiling eyes, dyed copper-ish hair that not many Asians can pull off, and bright white skin. 

 

The phone rang a few times before a husky attractive low voice came on.

 

Jang Wooyoung,” Tiffany said happily on the other line.  “Or do the Americans still call you Jason?”

 

Wooyoung scoffed before saying in English, “Happy Birthday, Fany-ah.”

 

She laughed a little and said in English, “Thank you.  I can’t believe you remembered, normally I have to send you a threatening text message.”  Her English was much more clear and fluent than his, but his was still quite good for a Korean foreigner who only lived in the country for a year and a half.

 

In Korean, he replied with a smile, “Did you get my gift?”

 

Yes, I love the necklace.  It’s beautiful.  Did you really get it at Tiffany’s?”  She asked curiously.

 

“Yeah – it’s pink.  You’re favorite.”

 

I know.  I love it.  I’m wearing it right now.” 

 

Wooyoung could picture the platinum ring with alternating circular pink sapphires and diamonds (Tiffany Legacy) wrapped around her slim middle finger.  It would look lovely against her complexion.

 

I’m not going to even ask how much it cost,” she laughed.

 

Wooyoung laughed, “It wouldn’t make much of a difference in either one of our pockets.  And plus, you only turn 18 once.” 

 

It’s out of courtesy,” Tiffany countered. 

 

“I know,” he replied.  He was never able to win a conversation, even when the two dated for a moment before both of them left Seoul.

 

It would’ve been nice for you to visit me here in LA,” Tiffany added longingly.  “We could have went surfing, sunbathing, and all that.”

 

“Now you’re just teasing me.”

 

She laughed innocently, “I don’t know what you mean.”

 

“You know that I’m practically being paid to attend high school here and never leave,” Wooyoung sighed. 

 

Yeah, I know,” She muttered.  “I just miss you, Wooyoung.  How is everything on your end?”

 

Wooyoung sighed as he saw his group of high school friends walk over to him in a big group.  The girls were all in their bikini tops and small jean shorts, while the guys had on similar outfits to Wooyoung.  It wasn’t Korea for sure.

 

“All right,” he shrugged.  “How about you?  How are Chansungie and Sooyoungie?”

 

Ah,” she groaned, “as lovey-dovey as ever.  It’s disgusting.”

 

Wooyoung laughed, “We were never that lovey-dovey were we.”

 

If we were, then I give someone permission to throw us off a building,” she said shortly.

 

Wooyoung laughed lowly.  “Agreed-“

 

“Hey Jason!”

 

Wooyoung looked up to the person who called out his American name.  It was his friend, Dylan, a white male who was about the same age as him with short dirty blond hair and blue eyes. 

 

“Hey Dylan,” Wooyoung smiled. 

 

“Got the ball for soccer, let’s go,” Dylan smirked.  He went up to Wooyoung, wrapped his arm around his shoulder and pointed to one of the girls he was walking with.  The girl had tan skin, brown hair, and light brown eyes.  She was a pretty thing to say the least and rather busty.  She wore a green tiny bikini top and just as tiny shorts.  “Laura got a new bikini.”

 

“I see that,” Wooyoung smirked.  “Give me a second, I’m talking to a friend.”

 

“Who?”  Dylan asked curiously. 

 

“Is that Dylan?  Yah, Jang Wooyoung, don’t you dare tell him that it’s me.  Do you want to die,” Tiffany threatened in Korean.

 

“Tiffany,” Wooyoung smiled proudly to Dylan, disregarding Tiffany’s petty threats.  “You must remember her.  She visited during the Winter break.  My Korean friend living in Los Angeles.  It’s her birthday today.  In American terms, she just turned seventeen.”

 

“Oh!”  Dylan smiled happily and greasily.  “Tell her the next time I see her, I’m going to give her a big birthday kiss.”  He began running into the park with his other friends and gave him a big wink.

 

Wooyoung began to laugh loudly.  “Ok, Dylan,” he laughed before going back to Tiffany.  “You heard him right?”

 

I hate you…” Tiffany said irritably after her teeth, a trademark of hers when she is angry.

 

“That’s what you get for charming your way into my high school friend’s bed,” Wooyoung smirked. 

 

Sue me, I like to have ,” Tiffany said coolly.  Woyoung could imagine her flipping her hair sarcastically with the statement.

 

“I know, me too,” Wooyoung laughed.

 

Tiffany laughed.  “How is Donghae oppa?”

 

Wooyoung froze for a moment.  How long has someone actually had the balls to utter Wooyoung’s older brother’s name?  it’s been a while.  But of course, only Tiffany would do it.  She was the only one who had the liberty to do it.

 

“He’s fine, I think.”

 

That’s good.”  Tiffany said softly. 

 

There was a long and notable silence between the two, but it was the silence that only two very close people could have and it not be awkward.  They listened to each other’s quiet breathing over the connection.  You would think that these two would be more awkward, being each other’s first boyfriends and girlfriends. 

 

There was a loud beep that interrupted the comfortable silence, making the Wooyoung jump. 

 

Ah, sorry, it’s my step-mother,” Tiffany sighed.  “I’ll talk to you later, WooyoungieThank you for the birthday gift.

 

“Okay, I miss you, Miyoung,” Wooyoung smiled softly, smiling at her old-fashioned Korean name.

 

“Ah, It’s a good thing you’re my friend,” she said in a loving tone before clicking it off. 

 

Wooyoung chuckled to himself before slipping his phone back in his pocket.  Yes, he loved Tiffany dearly since they were each other’s oldest friends, first kisses, and first relationship, but speaking to her while they were both in America made him sad. 

 

It reminded him of the country that she was running from, and he was banished from. 

 

Now, back in the other country’s capital, Seoul, it was just about to turn twelve the next day.  There was a small coffee shop in Hongdae called “Soul Coffee,” which stayed open until one in the morning.

 

Behind the counter to the cute coffee shop was a young woman named Kim Taeyeon.  She had long light brown hair, which was tied up in a messy yet endearing bun at the top of her head.  She had large almond shaped eyes and milky white skin.  She was eighteen as well, but had a baby face.  She wore a white shirt underneath her brown apron.

 

The coffee shop was only filled with two people, a young couple that were finishing up.  Taeyeon did not want to be here, but she had to pay the rent somehow.  The money her big brother would send from America was a big help; she would only need two jobs instead of four.  But she was tired, wanted to sleep, and should probably study even though it was her summer break. 

 

Taeyeon could feel her head beginning to collapse to the side, but her phone buzzing made her jump.  She saw that it was text message from her long time friend, Nichkhun. 

 

Taeyeon opened it curiously, wondering why Khun was texting her so late and why he would texting her if he was in beautiful Thailand.   It said: “Yo, don’t fall asleep, Kim Taeyeon.  And two Americanos.”

 

She texted aloud, cursing him, “Yah, Nichkhun-“ she froze when she realized the text was not only teasing, but a demand.  A demand that could only be made if he were here.

 

Excitedly, Taeyeon leaned over the counter.  She peered her head to the right before turning to the left to see her friend, sitting at a table by himself on his phone. 

 

Nickhun Buck Horvejkul was a handsome young man to say the least.  Girls fawned themselves over him and would do anything to just get a peep at the Thai and Chinese earth-bound god.  He had light brown hair and big eyes.  He was roughly 5’11 and had a lean build.  He wore a short sleeved blue button up shirt and dark jeans. 

 

“Khunnie,” she smiled as she went over to him.

 

He smiled at her, but put up a hand to her.  “Ah, wait.  Two Americanos, please, Miss Kim Taeyeon.”

 

Taeyeon frowned and crossed her arms over her chest childishly.  “Oh, so coffee over friends.  I see how it is, Nichkhun.”

 

Khun laughed softly as he watched his friend turn her back to him. 

 

“When did you get back?”  Taeyeon asked, easily getting over her anger.

 

“Just got off the plane forty-five minutes ago,” he said in a cool voice.

 

Taeyeon’s eyes widened as she made the coffee.  She turned to him and said, “Yah, your girlfriend is going to be angry that you came here first.”

 

“She’ll be fine,” Khun said as he began texting on his phone.  “I’m meeting her here anyway.” 

 

“Oh and seeing me here will make her much happier,” Taeyeon scoffed. 

 

“I’ll be here, so she’ll be happy,” Khun smiled with a joking grin. 

 

Taeyeon’s and Khun’s dad went to American school together, even though neither one of the were from an English speaking country.  Taeyeon’s Dad went because it was cheaper than any other private school, and Khun’s dad went because he wanted to learn English for a job in business.  Eventually the two became very close friends.  Taeyeon and Khun grew up together as a result.

 

“What are you doing for the rest of break?”  Khun asked Taeyeon.

 

Taeyeon rolled her eyes as she brought him his Americano.  She sat down beside him and laughed, “Is that even a question?  Work is life, Khun.”

 

“You should come over for dinner soon,” Nichkhun offered after he took a sup of his Americano.  “My dad thinks that you are too lonely.  He also misses you.”

 

“Tell him he has no need to worry,” Taeyeon said as she dismissed the thought.  “I work all the time.  The night shifts are good.  Gives me something to do.  And Seohyun takes the ”

 

Khun gave her a worried and anxious look.  “When we get back to school though, when are you going to do work?”

 

“Afterwards,” she shrugged as she took a sip of her Americano.

 

“And when will you sleep?”  Khun asked shortly.

 

Taeyeon frowned.  “Hey, why are you getting pissed?  I have to do this?”

 

“When was the last time you talked to Minjun hyung?”  Khun asked quickly.  “When was the last time you ate a decent meal?  When was the last time he sent you money?   When was the last time you slept for more than five hours?”

 

“Oh, stop nagging,” Taeyeon groaned irritably.

 

“You work too hard,” Khun said.

 

“If you know a better way to pay the bills and debts my parents left after the car accident, then do share, but right now, Nichkhun, this is all I got!”

 

The couple from the other table looked over at Taeyeon and Nichkhun curiously, probably thinking that the two were a couple themselves, bickering. 

 

Taeyeon sighed as Nichkhun sat back in his chair.  He gave her an apologetic look and said softly, “I didn’t mean to raise my voice.  I’m just worried about you.  You look tired and you must be.”

 

“A little, what can I say?”  She took another sip.  Taeyeon knew that Khun was right.  She overworked herself, but she needed to.  Nothing was cheap anymore.  She lived in a tiny little two-room house in the bad part of Itaewon where she was barely at, except to do work and sleep.  Minjun-oppa would send money every other week, which normally paid of weekly food and half of the rent.  Her two jobs helped pay off half of the rent and the weekly payment to the loan sharks.  Her life was far from easy, but she had to make do.

 

“Okay, but come over for dinner soon?”  Khun asked hopefully, doubting his friend would say yes.  “My dad will make us beef-“

 

“Yah, Nichkhun!”

 

The voice made the two teenagers jump in their seats.  They looked to the door to see pretty Im Yoona with an angry face.  Her cheeks were puffed out and her arms were crossed over her chest.  She was a pretty thing despite that ugly face she made.  She wore a thin white dress that reached right above her knees.  Over her dress, she wore a light blue jean jacket with a pink scarf around her neck. Her light brown hair was in a wavy ponytail.  

 

“Why are you inviting her to dinner?  At your place?  What are you going to do with her?”  Yoona nagged as she began to stomp over to their table. 

 

“Baby, I just invited her over for dinner because my dad asked,” Nichkhun whined cutely. 

 

Yoona momentarily stopped in her nagging because she was overwhelmed by her boyfriend’s ageyo.  She frowned and then snapped her head at Taeyeon.  “Yah, Kim Taeyeon!  Why are you stealing my boyfriend!”


 

Taeyeon rolled her eyes.  “You’re much prettier than I am, Yoona.  Don’t worry yourself, you’ll get wrinkles faster.”

 

Yoona lightly touched her face, a vain attempt to smooth her skin.  “At least, you have the pretty part right.”  She grabbed Nichkhun’s arm and pulled him up.  “Come on, Nichkhun, we are going!” 

 

Nichkhun followed obediently and threw the cash at her.  He called out to Taeyeon, “I’ll text you about dinner at my place.”

 

“No, he won’t!”  Yoona shouted, half way out the door of the café. 

 

Taeyeon chuckled to herself as she got up to walk back behind the counter and finished her Americano.  She wasn’t friends with Yoona – the only interaction she had with the girl was through Nichkhun.  She was a bit clingy and definitely possessive.  But on the other hand, she was pretty, smart, and came from a wealthy family.  And she treated Khun right, and she might have loved him as much as he loved her.  When Taeyeon watched Nichkhun and Yoona, she thought she might hurl at some points, but they were still cute.

 

Except when Yoona was nagging, like right now.

 

“Why do you always talk to her!  Why did you see her before me!  Why are you even friends with her!”  Yoona nagged as she walked through the streets of Gangnam.

 

“Eh, she’s my oldest friend.  I’ve known her half of my life, Yoona-yah,” He said cutely.  He pulled back with a strong hand, so they were now standing right in front of each other.  “She’s my friend.  That’s it.  You, Im Yoona, are my girlfriend, okay?  So let’s not fight.  It’s been three weeks since I’ve seen my beautiful girlfriend.  I want this to be a nice night.”

 

Yoona pouted prettily and hesitated before saying, “Fine.  What are we going to do by the way.  It’s past midnight.  Barely anything is open now.”

 

Nichkhun walked towards his Mercedes, which he bought from Hwang Automotives, and said with a smile, “Beach.  Water.  Dinner… Yacht?”

 

“Really?!”  Yoona asked excitedly before reaching.

 

“I told you – I don’t want to fight,” Nichkhun said kindly before leaning against the car.  He pulled his girlfriend in by the waist.  “I missed you.”

 

“Missed you more.”
 

He pulled her in and was about to kiss her when Yoona pulled back cautiously.  “Khunnie, we are in public,” she said in an embarrassed tone.  She looked around, but Nichkhun took her by the chin gently.

 

He shrugged and said, “Who cares?” before pressing a gentle kiss to her lips.

 

***

 

After a long night, finally ending at 1:30am.  Taeyeon took the bus home and walked a bit.  Despite it being a late week night, the city was still bustling in Itaewon.  It was a popular foreigner district.  And the area, she lived in was cool and hip.  However, the street she lived in was sort of messed up.  She walked quickly through the streets, but something didn’t feel right. 

 

Taeyeon turned around to see three men following her.  She tensed up and began walking faster.  When she noticed that their footsteps sped up, she realized that she was being followed.  “Crap,” she hissed lowly.

 

Not knowing what else to do, Taeyeon began to run.  She knew the winding streets well, but apparently these three men did too as well.  She made lefts and rights, taking a much longer route home than usual to run away from these men. 

 

When she turned the last corner to her home and thought she was free, she bumped into a large chest and fell to the ground.  She took out her metal keys and shouted, “Don’t touch me- Ah, it’s only you.”

 

“Only me?”  The man asked, offended.  He was a shorter man, about 5’7 with a kind face and light brown hair.  He was in a dark leather jacket along with two other men.  The three men who were chasing after Taeyeon and stopped, bending over to catch their breath.

 

“Yah, Leeteuk hyung, you should’ve let us take the car,” one of them groaned.  Taeyeon only realized now that it was only Eunhyuk.  “I didn’t know she could run that fast.”

 

“Seriously,” groaned a second and third, whose names were Kangin and Shindong.

 

“Ah, she’s one 18 year old girl,” Leeteuk’s left hand man, Heechul, said coolly.  “Yah, Kim Taeyeon, why did you run?”

 

The one on the right of Leeteuk helped her up, Yesung. 

 

“When I see three men,” Taeyeon said coolly, “I run.”  She brushed herself off and then glared at Eunhyuk, Kangin, and Shindong.  “If I had seen their faces, I would’ve just laughed.”

 

“Oh cute,” Eunhyuk scoffed. 

 

“Why don’t you let us in?  Be a good host, Taeyeon-ah,” Leeteuk said with a smug grin plastered on his face.

 

“Isn’t it a bit late for you guys?”  She asked coldly as she got out here key.  “Bedtime?”

 

“Aish, why are you so mean to us, Taeyeon-ah?”  Yesung nagged. 

 

“Because you are trying to take all of my money!”  She said as if it were obvious.  She opened the door to her house.  It was uncomfortably small, but it worked for Taeyeon because a) she was a small person and b) she was the only one living here. It was a narrow room that had a counter top, a sink, mini fridge, and a microwave lined up against the left wall.  At the other end of the room, there was a small floor table with two cushion seats.  On the right, there were two doors: one was a typical white door that led to the bathroom while the other led to her tiny bedroom with only enough space for her sheets and comforter that she pulled out from her small cabinet.   

 

“Wow… it is small,” Shindong muttered lowly.

 

“If you have a problem with it, then you can stay outside for all I care,” Taeyeon said coolly as she slid her shoes off.

 

“Little brat,” Shindong cursed.

 

She walked into the room and rested her bag down by the table.  She looked at Leeteuk, who also took off his shoes.  “The normal amount, right?”  Normally, only one or two guys would come to collect the money every Thursday or Wednesday.  She wondered why there were all six of them this time. 

 

“Mmhmm,” Leeteuk nodded.

 

Taeyeon sighed as she went into her room.  In the last drawer, she pulled out 250 dollars.  She looked at it longingly and sighed.  She walked back out and said, “Here.”  She then looked at all of the guys.  She wasn’t a fan of any of them, but she was glad that none of them used force on her.  “Now, leave please.  I’m tired.”

 

“Ah, one minute,” Leeteuk said as he passed it to Eunhyuk to count.  He walked closer to Taeyeon, but she backed away with every step.

 

She looked at him anxiously and said, “What do you want?  I paid like usual.  Get out.”

 

Leeteuk sighed, “SM wants more.” 

 

“More what?”  Taeyeon asked harshly.

 

“Money, ,” Heechul said arrongantly. 

 

Taeyeon’s eyes widened like saucer pans, and for a minute, she felt her heart stop.  “More?!”  She asked incredulously.

 

“He wants to double,” Yesung replied.

 

Eunhyuk added, “Making it-“

 

“You want 700 a week?!  Are you out of your damn mind?  The reason we set up 350 a week was that I was able to provide it without question.  I can’t do 700 dollars a week!”  She shouted, stomping her foot against the ground to make a point.

 

“It’s what he wants, Taeyeon,” Kangin said sternly.  “We are merely the messengers.”

 

“How… why… I can’t do that.  I need that money to pay my rent, eat when I can, and pay the electric and water bills.”

 

“Well, you’re a smart girl,” Heechul nodded.  “You can figure it out.”

 

Taeyeon frowned.  It probably wasn’t meant to be patronizing, but Taeyeon didn’t care.  She clenched her fists and pointed to the door.  “Get out of my house!”

 

Leeteuk became stern as well.  He was more relaxed in comparison to the rest.  “Taeyeon, we need to show up with 700 dollars-“

 

“Please!  Get out!”  She shouted again.

 

“Look, Kim Taeyeon,” Yesung said in a soft, yet threatening tone.  It was sort of like he was talking to a stray dog.  “We don’t want to hurt you-“

 

“I DON’T HAVE IT!  NOW GET OUT!”

 

Leeteuk groaned as he ran a hand through his hair.  He motioned to the guys to do something, and Taeyeon only realized it then when Kangin and Shindong quickly ran up to hold her arms while Heechul and Yesung went searching in her room.

 

“What the hell do you think you’re doing!  Stop!”  She shouted as she tried to wiggle her way out of their grip. 

 

“Check the cabinet,” Eunhyuk muttered.  It didn’t look like he was happy about this, but what could he do?  He just worked for his boss.

 

“Stop!”  Taeyeon screamed as she mauevered her way out of their hold. She quickly ran towards them, hitting their backs to get away from her cabinet.  However, Leeteuk and Eunhyuk pulled her back.

 

“Shindong, Kangin.  Get the car ready,” Leeteuk instructed, struggling with Taeyeon. 

 

Shindong and Kangin quickly left the house to ready the car. 

 

“Taeyeon, I’m really sorry,” Yesung said as he pulled out another 350 dollars, leaving her bottom draw without the money she needed to pay the impending July rent.

 

Leeteuk and Eunhyuk looked down at her apologetically and left behind Heechul and Yesung. 

 

Taeyeon almost collapsed to the ground, but instead held onto the counter.  She clutched her chest, finding it suddenly hard to breathe. 

 

“We will be back next Thursday, Taeyeon-ah,” Leeteuk said in small voice, looking at her with sorry eyes.

 

“Get out,” she whispered harshly as she turned around.  She didn’t want to give him, any of them, and even their boss the satisfaction of her crying.  Once she heard the door click shut, that’s when she let out a tiny sob.  “Dammit,” she cursed as she slid to the ground. 

 

Taeyeon wiped her tears and dialed her older brother.  After three rings, he picked up.

 

“Taeyeon-ah, it’s late in Seoul, why are you still up?  Have you eaten?  Are you sleeping well?”  He asked quickly with worry in his voice.

 

“Oppa,” She said, trying to hide a sob.

 

There was a long pause.  Minjun must have noticed the sob.  “Taeyeon, talk to me.  What’s wrong.  Tell me.”

 

“SM doubled the weekly payment,” she said softly.  “I don’t have the type of money for that.  I don’t make enough for that.”

 

“…” Minjun said angrily.

 

“Oppa, when are you coming home?”  She asked softly, finally letting her tears stop falling.

 

Minjun sighed.  “I cant come home yet, Tae.  But, I will be back soon. I promise- Yah!  Don’t touch that!  Who the hell are you! … Taeyeon, it’s SM’s New York idiots.  I have to call you back.  Ah, !  Hey stop!  Taeyeon, sleep well.  Oppa will take care of this.  I promise.”  There was a click on the other side of phone and the call ended. 

 

Taeyeon sighed as she brought her knees up to her chest.  She looked at the homescreen to her phone and it was a picture of her parents, Minjun oppa, and herself – a few days before the accident.

 

Before hiding in her tiny knees, she whispered, “What did you two leave us with?”