Chapter 4

Young Money

Mr. Horvejkul just got an important document from the president of Jang Corporations. Mr. Horvejkul didn’t want to leave it to the post office or e-mails, that’s how important.So he pressed the elevator door since he was on the 86th floor.

 

When the doors opened, he saw a face that he could never forget.  Eugene Jung.
 

“Oppa,” She whispered, her eyes wide.  She bowed her head as did he.He got and pressed the lobby, but realized that it was already lit.  Yes, Eugene Jung made him do that – stupid things.

 

“How are you?”  She asked softly.

 

“Good,” He nodded. “And you?”

 

“I’m okay,” She shrugged.  “How is Khun?”

 

“He’s good.  He is leaving for New York later today to take a meeting for his mother’s company,” He revealed.  He looked up from the ground to beautiful Eugene.  She was smiling softly and nervously at the ground.  “And Jessica?”

 

“Left for New York yesterday,” Ms. Jung said softly.  “To see Wooyoung-goon.”

 

Mr. Horvejkul nodded, “Ah.  I see.”  He looked down and saw the ring on her finger.  It was new, shiny, and gold.“Engaged or married?”  He asked.

 

“Engaged,” She said softly.

 

“To whom may I ask?”  Mr. Horvejkul asked curiously, trying to seem cool.

 

“Ok Jingu,” Eugene said in a small matter-of-fact tone.

 

Mr. Horvejkul simply nodded.  “Interesting choice.”

 

“It was for the company,” She replied quickly.

 

“You’ll always do anything for your company,” Mr. Horvejkul said softly in sort of a laughing voice.

 

Ms. Jung felt a pang of guilt run through her chest.  “Oppa, don’t misunderstand-“
 

“Always in the interest of your company,” he repeated.  He looked to Ms. Jung and sighed.  “When will you start doing things for yourself, Eugene?  You are a thirty-nine year old woman.  Don’t you think it’s time?”

 

“It’s always been like this,” Ms. Jung sighed.  “And it always will be.”

 

“Then you deserve to have sporadic moments for yourself.”

 

“Pardon-?”

 

But before she could even finish her question, Mr. Horvejkul’s lips were against hers.It was a hungry kiss, and Ms. Jung was left helpless.  She wrapped her arms around his neck, and he pressed his hands against her hips.  They kissed like this until they heard a distinct ding, signaling that they were at the lobby.

 

Like they would in College when some was coming, the two immediately pulled apart and quickly fixed themselves.  When the doors opened, they quickly maneuvered away past the people.  The two nodded, and pretended like nothing had ever happened.

 

***

 

They reached Minjun’s apartment in an hour.  Wooyoung parked in front of a small church right by Mosco street.

 

“Is this good?”  Wooyoung asked.

 

Taeyeon nodded. “Mmhmm.”  She took her bag from the backseat and said, “Thank you.”

 

“Come back down to let me know if he is in or not.I don’t think he will be,” Wooyoung said.  “So leave your bag, just in case.”

 

She dropped her bag back.  It was a good idea.  She left her bag and scurried into the building. She ran up the stairs back to her brother’s apartment.She knocked on the door fervently, hoping that he was home.“Oppa!  Oppa!”

 

The red haired woman came out again. She was in a white large T-shirt and her hair looked messy as she let a young man walk out of her apartment.She leaned against the doorframe as the man passed her a large wad of money.She smiled and let him kiss her lips on the back.She then saw Taeyeon.

 

“Hey!  Have you found him yet?!”The red head asked her.

 

Taeyeon looked to the door.“He… has not… come back?”  She asked slowly and disappointedly.

 

The red head sighed, “No.”

 

“Are you… sure?”  Taeyeon asked.  “Did… you leave… and maybe… he come back?”

 

The red head laughed.  “Honey, I live and work here.”

 

“Oh…”

 

“Good luck, Taeyeon,” She smiled and looked over the bannister to see another man walk up.  “Hey, Dan.  Come on.  Clock is ticking.”

 

Taeyeon watched as the man kissed her on the lips and walked in. The Red head waved goodbye before letting the man in.

 

With wide eyes, Taeyeon shook her head and shivered. She didn’t want to know what was about to happen in there.  She quickly ran down the stairs and back to Wooyoung and his shiny dark blue Camaro.

 

“Was he there?”  Wooyoung asked as she came up to the window.

 

Taeyeon nodded, disappointed.She reached for the bag.  “Thanks for the ride.”

 

“What do you mean?  You need a place to stay, don’t you?”  Wooyoung asked.  “Well, I have a place with an extra room.”

 

“I can’t ask that of you,” Taeyeon countered.  “You already drove me here-“

 

“And I have to go home either way.  Come on, Kim Taeyeon.”

 

Taeyeon smiled, but shook her head.She began to reach for her bag through the window again, but she pulled her arms back when the car jerked forward.

 

“What?  Having a hard time?”

 

“Yah!”  She shouted.  She tried to grab it again, but Wooyoung moved the car once more.  “You’re going to pull off my arm!”

 

Wooyoung leaned over and pushed open the car door.  “Then get in the car.”

 

Taeyeon let out a loud huff. She slid in next to him and mumbled, “Thank you.”

 

***

Kwon Yuri sat alone in a small coffee shop.  She was a very natural beauty with long wavy black hair and naturally tanned skin.  She had also a very well toned body that she gained from extensive amounts of yoga.

 

Despite her very natural beauty, Yuri was also extremely intelligent.  She ranked first in her class during her time at Jang Elite Private School, which she attended through a scholarship.

 

Today, she was sitting, reading The Great Gatsby in English.  She envied the lavish life that Jay Gatsby and his friends enjoyed, despite doing all of it for the affections of one woman.

 

If life were only so easy.

 

“Sorry, I’m late.”

 

Yuri looked up from her book to see her longtime and secret boyfriend sit across from her.  His name was Jang Donghae.  He had paler skin than his girlfriend and big brown eyes.  His brown hair was shiny, and his bangs were swiped to the left.He wore a crisp black suit and had a brief case in his hand.

 

“It’s okay,” Yuri smiled, just happy to get some time with him.  Both of their schedules were so hard to work around.Donghae worked odd hours as the CEO of his father’s company, and Yuri worked whenever she could as a tutor – so her’s were so unreliable.

 

Donghae sighed as he looked at the book.“In English?”  He picked it up carefully, without losing her place.  “That seems hard.”

 

“I want to teach it to one of my students in English since he wants to go back to America… if he decides to actually try to get into school,” Yuri sighed, running her hands through her hair.  She set her hands down in front of herself.

 

Donghae put his hands on top of hers, which surprised Yuri since her boyfriend wasn’t a very physically affectionate person.  “Yuri, you look tired.”

 

“We all can’t be rich and let our housemaids take care of cleaning,” countered Yuri with a playful smile.

 

“I can send someone over to your house,” Donghae offered.

 

Yuri shook her head.“It’s okay. I clean specifically.”

 

Donghae dropped her hands and gave her a faux-glare.“Then don’t complain,” he teased.

 

Yuri smiled.  This was one of their lighter moments.  It was hard to be with a man you shouldn’t. His career was important, and dating a poor hoobae from high school isn’t the best option since technically Donghae should be available to marry a rich lady from Seoul whenever his father deemed fit.

 

“I was thinking about a vacation for a couple of days…”  Donghae started off in a small voice.“In the Maldives, or something like it.”

 

“Send me a postcard,” Yuri deadpanned as she began to put her book in her bag.

 

Donghae rolled his eyes.  “I was talking about both of us going.”

 

Yuri thought the idea sounded lovely.  A vacation in the Maldives with her long time boyfriend?  Who would be stupid enough to pass that up?  “Oppa, you know that I can’t.I have to work.”

 

“I can pay off the money, you wont be making,” He countered.

 

“No, I can’t.  My job is about reliability.  I can’t just leave, Oppa. And what would your father say.”

 

Donghae let out a long sigh.  He was about to counter, saying that he didn’t give a damn what his father thought.  But just in that moment, he got a call from his father.  He let out a deep sigh.  “One second,” he said sadly as he picked up the phone call and got up.

 

Yuri watched as her boyfriend got up to take the call, which was normal.  The dates normally ended like this.  So, Yuri took a sip of the remaining portion of her coffee and slid her book back into her handbag.  She waited patiently as her boyfriend finished up the conversation.

 

Donghae clicked end and looked at to his girlfriend apologetically.  “Yuri, Sorry, but I got to go-“

 

Yuri stood up and shook her head with a smile.  “I know, I know, Oppa.I have to go too.”  She closed her bag and kissed her boyfriend on the cheek.  “I’ll call you later.”

 

She walked away first, so this time she didn’t have to watch her boyfriend do it first.

 

***

 

“Liar.”

 

“I am not.”

 

“You are a liar.”

 

“Am not.”

 

“This cannot be all yours,” Taeyeon muttered as she looked the humungous old-fashioned brownstone on the upper east side.  Holy , Taeyeon thought.  The place even had its own personal garage, which they just came out of.

 

There were three floors and all beautifully furnished.  Some rich houses like this were tacky, but his was gorgeous.It had a classic air to it that Taeyeon couldn’t resist to stare at.

 

There was a grand dining room, a lavish pure white kitchen, and a large living room on the first floor.  As Taeyeon looked up by the staircase, she realized that a large portion of the place was open space. On the second and third floors, there was a banister to make sure people didn’t fall.

 

Wooyoung motioned for her to follow him.

 

Taeyeon shook her hand quickly.  “It’s okay, I can sleep on the couch-“

 

“I have a spare room,” Wooyoung objected.“Come on.”

 

Taeyeon didn’t try to reject that idea since it was a blatantly good one.She picked up her bag and followed the oddly kind friend of her brother.The two stop on the second floor where there were three rooms: a large study/library, a small bathroom, and a guestroom.

 

The guestroom was pretty grand with tan wall paper, a white bed, and a brownish cabinet.  There was also a door that immediately went into the lavish bathroom, with a granite sink, long bathtub, and an abnormally nice looking toilets.  Taeyeon didn’t even know that toilets were that nice.It was a lovely place to stay to say the least.

 

“You can stay here as long as you need,” Wooyoung offered.

 

Taeyeon nodded kindly as she dropped down onto the bed.She set the suitcase right by her side an said, “Thank you.”

 

He nodded.  “No problem.There is a towel in the bathroom as well.You can take what you want from the fridge, I don’t care.”

 

Taeyeon nodded kindly.  Wooyoung was about to leave the room, but Taeyeon called him back. He raised an eyebrow at the pretty girl.“Yeah?”

 

“How do you know my brother?”  Taeyeon asked curiously.

 

Wooyoung leaned against he door frame.  “He works at my favorite bar and restaurant,” he explained.He also chose to leave out the part where Wooyoung got so drunk and Junsu took care of him one night when he was only 17.

 

“Ah… Minjun oppa has always been good at making friends.”  Taeyeon smiled longinly, missing her brother.

 

Wooyoung ruffled his hair.  “You don’t need to worry about Minjun-hyung.  He takes care of himself very well.”

 

Taeyeon nodded softly.  “Ne, Thank you.”

 

Wooyoung pressed his lips together and looked away awkwardly.  “Well, Night,” he nodded as he left.

 

The young man was in sort of disbelief at what was happening.  He couldn’t believe that he had Minjun’s sister in his place because he got taken for work by some gang.  It was unbelievable.  And not to mention, she was hot.

 

He left the room and saw through the cracked door that Taeyeon had walked into the bathroom with some other clothes – it looked like sleep clothes: a pair of yellow boxer shorts and a big shirt. Wooyoung watched quietly as she put her hair up in a bun at the top of her head.  She showed off the five piercings on her ears, all small, but very spunky.  Wooyoung was paying too much attention to her cool earrings and pretty face to notice that she was in fact taking off her shirt.

 

Wooyoung’ eyes widened when he realized that she was now in a simple white bra.  He turned around and began walking upstairs quickly.Is she dumb or something, changing like that with the door open in someone random guy’s house?  Stupid…

 

Breaking Wooyoung’s concentration, his phone rang.He looked down and saw that it was Tiffany, which surprises him in all honesty.  Twice in one day?  Within an hour?  Tiffany isn’t the persistent type.  In a normal situation, she would let you call her back if you wanted to.

 

He put the phone to his ear and answered, “What’s wrong, Fany-ah?”

 

“Wae?”  She asked harshly.  “Can’t I just ask how my best friend is?”

 

Wooyoung scoffed, “No – it’s not in your nature, Hwang Miyoung.”

 

Tiffany chuckled lowly in the background.  “I’m not nice enough for that, am I?”  She asked with a chuckle, but honest truth behind it.

 

“No, you’re not, Fany,” He laughed too as he began walking down the stairs.  “Bad girl Tiffany Hwang forever.”  This caused Tiffany to laugh loudly on the other side – it used to be an old inside joke between the two.

 

Taeyeon peeked out of the bathroom door as she washed her face to hear the conversation.  She noticed that it was a girl on the other end, and that the girl and Wooyoung were rather close.Maybe it was a girlfriend.He’s handsome enough to have one.

 

Taeyeon washed her face and brushed her teeth.  She was going to head straight to bed until her stomach let out an insistent growl.  She cautiously walked through the second floor and back towards the stairs, tip-toeing quietly.  She didn’t want to be nuisance into someone else’s home.

 

She was almost down when she heard Wooyoung shout:

 

“SEOUL?  WHY?”

 

Taeyeon paused and looked down towards the kitchen in the back.  Wooyoung had one hand pressed insistently against the counter in the middle of the kitchen with pots and pans above it.  His eyes were wide with shock.

 

She couldn’t hear what the person on the other line was saying, but Wooyoung shook his head.  “Fany, you want to go back?  Why would you ever?  You hate Seoul.”

 

The girl replied quickly, causing Wooyoung to huff impatiently.“Seriously, Tiffany?  That’s such a bull excuse.  I just wanna go back, I think it’s time ­– bull excuse.  Why?”

 

Taeyeon sat on the steps and wondered what they were talking about.  It sounded like a couple fight almost.

 

Wooyoung was too just as confused.Tiffany Hwang?  Wanted to move back to Seoul?  The city she loathed the most.  After they broke up, a month later she told him that she was off to LA, to see the sun and go back to America for a bit, and she needed break from Seoul.  Like forever.  At first, she thought it was because of him that Tiffany wanted to move.  Their break was rather sudden, and so Wooyoung tried to be a man about it and let her go.  However, just when he was about to go get his first love back from LA, he was moved to NYC.  However, not once since the time that she had been in America, had she ever mentioned visiting Seoul again.

 

“My step-mom’s husband is going to take the reign over my company,” Tiffany said shortly over the phone, her voice becoming serious and stern rather than her naturally aloof cool voice. 

 

Wooyoung’s eyes widened.This would be the reason.  She hated that man, and Wooyoung didn’t know why.  He could never get it out of her why she hated that man so much.

 

“You’re going back to a place you hate because of one man?”

 

I refuse to let the company that my family built from the ground up to be handed over to anyone.  Especially him.”Tiffany went on.There was a brief pause, neither side knowing what to say.“… Do you think I’m being dumb?”

 

“No,” Wooyoung said honestly.  “I’ve never seen you so passionate about something in a long time, Fany-ah.  If you want your company back, go get it back from the man you hate.”  Little did Wooyoung know what this man really did.

 

Thank you, I wanted your approval…” Tiffany smiled.  The two laughed.  “I’ll call you later.  I’m going to go buy a ticket and start packing.  Seriously, thank you.”

 

“Anytime time, Miyoung,” Wooyoung said before shutting off his phone.  He let out a long sigh before heading back up the stairs to see Taeyeon sitting on them.  “Bed not comfy enough?”He asked coolly.

 

“Girl problems?”  Taeyeon countered as she stood up.

 

“Ex-girlfriend,” Wooyoung shrugged as he put his phone back in his pocket.

 

Taeyeon’s heart lifted a little, so he’s single.  “Sounded a little closer than that.”

 

“Ah, she’s still my best friend.”

 

Taeyeon nodded skpetically as Wooyoung walked upstairs, smirking.  He looked down at her as she headed over to the kitchen, wondering if she was jealous.