Chapter 56 - Dark Love (Part 16)

The Pre-existence Seekers

When I stepped out of the door, I was at the plains just as what Siwon said. I saw poppy flowers of various colours blooming  underneath the greyish skies of the Underworld. The poppy seemed to be under magical spell which emitted alluring scents and I was simply lost in the sea of poppy. The skies suddenly rained. I was surprised and I stretched out my palm to catch the rainfall. The feeling of the raindrops was the same back home. So it also rained in the Underworld?

My vision was captured towards a corner of the plains. Yesung in his purple, opened collar robe was standing peacefully in the rain, the clear raindrops rolled down from his chest and his long hair fluttered away. The surroundings seemed to have paused. The child like boy transformed to a matured young man now.

I did not know that there were outstanding figures here in the Underworld. Hades-Siwon, God of Death-Heechul, God of Sleep-Leteuk, God of Dream - Yesung. Suddenly, F4 came into my mind.

"What did you call for me?" I spoke after looking at Yesung for a long time.

"You are here? This is fast." Yesung was surprised seeing me.

"Ya, I came through Hades's dimension door." I smirked.

"What! You are saying Hades ..." Yesung appeared shocked now.

"Oh yes. I bumped into him when I was admiring the Manjusa."

"Manjusa!" The shockness changed into a solemn look," You and Hades talked about Manjusa?"

"Er Hmm, I was telling him that Manjusa was so beautiful."

Yesung turned pale," Do not mention about Manjusa in front of Hades. There was an attendant who mentioned about Manjusa and she was banished to the Sorching Valley."

"Huh?" My eyes grew wide.

"Because..." Yesung bit his lip," Hades hated Manjusa!"

"What? If he hated Manjusa, why did he plant them around his palace?" I was curious yet I am thanking the gods that nothing happened to me.

"Don't ask anymore but just remember what I said." Yesung smiled at me," So, did you have a good dream yesterday?"

Before I could answer, I heard a soft melodious music played from a Harp. The music came in series and I sensed a vibe of heartache and sorrow and it could reduce the heartless man to tears. I was mesmerized by the melody. "Who play it?"

Yesung looked in the far distance," Donghae is playing for his lover again."

"Donghae?"

"His lover Eunhyuk died due to an accident. Donghae came to the Underworld to rescue Eunhyuk. Hades and the Queen were touched by Donghae's love for Eunhyuk and his music and permit them to pass through Bliss land. However, the only condition was that Donghae must not look back before he reached the mortal realm." Yesung gave out a long sigh. " Donghae looked back and Eunhyuk was to remain here forever. Donghae remained behind with his lover."

"They are so pitiful." I also sighed. " I wondered how long they had been here?"

"Yesung closed his eyes," This happened during Ancient Greek time."

"What!" I was shocked. They had been here for more than 10,000 years! More than 10,000 years which sounded terrifying to me. How did they survived all those dark days? "Can I visit them?"

                                                           *******************************************************************************

I took in a big gulp of cold air when I saw the scene in front of me. A pretty blond boy stood underneath a tree, the portion from his shoulders down was stonified. His short blond hair fluttered slightly and he had a beautiful smile on his face. Another dark haired boy stood by the blond and he was picking at his harp softly. He must be Donghae. Donghae closed his eyes and his hair moved slightly with his movement. The silver harp emitted a soft melody under the skillful fingers. Donghae looked handsome despite his pale cheeks and lips. They were really compatible.

Donghae stopped playing and stood alert at us. Once he had a better view, he resumed his calmness and bowed slightly at us.

"Greeting, I am Kim Dongwan. I apologize for disturbing you. I er... Heard about your story and so I...." I flustered as to how to continue my sentence.

"Greeting, I am Eunhyuk and he is my lover, Donghae." Eunhyuk smiled sweetly at me," Donghae does not talk much."

"Oh, please continue and don't mind me. I am sorry for disturbing." I felt like an intruder who disturbed the young lovers' time together.

"It is okay. It had been a long time that someone visited us and chatted with me." Eunhyuk smiled. " It would be nice if we can talk for a while."

"It would be my pleasure." I nodded and sat near Eunhyuk, chatting away. I noticed Donghae looked at Eunhyuk happily and resumed his music. I told Eunhtuk what I knew about the mortal realm and he seemed interested and atonished. I did not know how long we chatted till Yesung hurried me that it was time to go.

"Wait Yesung. I have not finish talking to Eunhyuk."

"Oh then I go off first."

"Okie."

"Then you have to go through the frightening valleys yourself."

" Roger, I am coming with you."

Before I parted with Eunhyuk, we became good friends and I even promised to visit him again when I am free. Though I was pleased to make a new friend, I did not forget my mission in entering the Underworld. It was an uphill task to get into Siwon's palace, let alone hunt for the orange Manjusa.

"Yesung. There is only red Manjusa here?" I asked Yesung while he was working.

"I suppose so."

"Only a single colour? It's so boring."

"I have never heard of other colour."

I was certain that Yesung did not know about orange Manjusa. Even Yesung had not heard about it and I wondered if it really existed?

I woke up in the middle of the night and I was unable to fall back to sleep again. I tossed and turned in bed for a while before I decided to get up. I wore a coat before I walked out of my bedroom. In this place where day is same as night, I think I lost track of time.

I looked around and sneaked out if the palace. I saw Siwon's palace but strangely, I saw someone standing outside. The darkness covered the side profile of the stranger and I could not see his face. I noticed that he was staring at the red Manjusa but I felt a feeling stirred inside me. I could sense his longing and helplessness around him. Unknowingly, I stepped on some stones and the rustling sound was loud in the night.

"Who is there!"

I recognized it's Leteuk's voice. "It me, Kim Dongwan." Since I was discovered, I might as well show myself openly.

"You can't sleep too?" Leteuk resumed his lazy voice. I looked at Leteuk with his smiling eyes and his flowing dark blue hair.

"I can't even differentiate when it is day and when it is night." I sighed. 

Leteuk chuckled. "You seemed so different when you are at the blood pool." 

I tensed up after hearing Leteuk talked about our first encounter and I was scared that he would take revenge on me.

"You need not be scared. I am the almighty God of sleep and I would not stoop so low to seek revenge. Beside my brother...." Leteuk paused.

I felt relieved and I wanted to strike up a conversation with Leteuk to avoid the awkwardness. I was thinking of the topic when I recalled Yesung talking about the Queen. I did not pay much attention to him earlier and now to think about it, I did not see the Queen at all since I was here.

"Leteuk, how come I do not see the Queen around?" I saw Leteuk's smile frozen and he glared at me.

"There is no Queen here."

"But Yesung mention about the Queen..."

"The Queen is no longer with us." Leteuk cut my sentence and he looked at the Manjusa," Also, do not mention this in front of Hades!"

"Manjusa as well?" I saw Leteuk's gaze.

"Yes!" There was a fleeing moment if sadness in his eyes.

I was getting suspicious. There used to be a Queen but I am not allowed to mention her and also Manjusa in front of Siwon. Could the Queen had any connection with Manjusa? If so, what was the connection? Leteuk seemed suspicious too.

The next few days, I visited Eunhyuk and Donghae when Yesung was strolling about. Days passed quickly and I am getting anxious. Essence of Night pill could only last for a month and I had to complete my mission before the expiry. But I was totally clueless on the whereabouts of the orange Manjusa and I had not get my chance to enter Siwon's palace. 

"Dongwan, you seemed troubled?" Eunhyuk smiled at me.

i shook my head and looked at Eynhyuk," Eunhyuk ah, you must be suffering. For you and Donghae, in this eternal darkness..."

Eunhyuk startled a bit before smile returned to him," I am suffering but I think it is worst for Donghae."  Eunhyuk looked at Donghae who was not far from us, playing on his harp.

I did not know why but I think of M, he must be suffering too....

"I should get on my way." I stood up," Yesung would be coming soon."

"Dongwan, thank you." Eunhyuk's smile looked like spring time. The only way that Eunhyuk could keep smiling was probably due to Donghae.

I turned back and wanted to tell Eunhyuk that I would visit him a few days later. I turned back to find Eunhyuk again but I saw Donghae kissing Eunhyuk. It best that I did not interrupt them. I was about to move off when I heard Eunhyuk's voice.

"Donghae, do you regret? To be by my side and remain in this place where you can't see sunlight ever again and lost your freedom."

Donghae just smiled and patted Eunhyuk's head and smiled.

"Answer me Hae, truthfully. I just want to hear from you." Eunhyuk was persisted.

"Hyuk," Donghae spoke gently and it was the first time that I heard him talking." The only regret that I had was my failure to bring you back, to see the sunlight. I am sorry. As for me, there is nothing important for me back in the mortal realm anymore. I would feel at ease when I am by your side. Because of you, your love and that I am able to play the harp for you; I already feel the sun here."

My tears was flowing when I heard Donghae's last sentence. So there was someone so great who could forsake being in the sun for the sake of love.... My heart ached... I wiped the tears with the back of my hand while I turned away. Suddenly I bumped into someone.

"Why do human cry so easily?" Yesung wiped off my tears with his fingers.

"Didn't you hear their conversation?"

"Hmmm..."

"Then Yesung, how could you not be touched? They are so pitiful and I wish I can go back in time to change their destiny. I grabbed Yesung's sleeve and wiped my tears.

"Yuck, don't rub your snot on my precious clothes!" Yesung rolled his eyes," Even the gods can't help them, let alone you."

"It is not impossible right? There is a way right?"

"Yah we are going back now because Hades is having a banquet in a few days' time. I need to prepare for it and I will be extremely busy."

"A banquet?" I was excited," In his palace?"

Yesung nodded. 

I was screaming with joy in my heart! Finally, my chance is here. "Wow, it must be a magnificent banquet right?" I pretended to be immersed in the idea. "Sigh but I would not have a chance to attend, especially when I return back. The next time I be here would mean that I am truly dead. Who knows which hall or valleys that I might be in." I wailed a bit.

Yesung smirked," You spoke so much so that I can bring to the banquet right?"

I coughed a bit as my little trick was exposed. " Oh you are the smartest, most handsome and kind hearted god here!"

Yesung chuckled," I can bring you to the banquet on 1 condition."

"What? Firstly, I am poor, secondly, I have no power, thirdly, I am not charming, fourthly, I...."

"I will tell you when I think about the condition. You just promise me now will do." Yesung smiled.

"Okay." I am agreeable so long I get a chance to get to Siwon's palace.

"That settled. You will come with me to the banquet then."

"Thank you so much."

"it is okay because you will to fulfill my condition." Yesung let out a devilish smile.

"......" I rolled my eyes. " I am taking back the part about thanking you.

"Haha. You are so funny." Yesung was laughing away.