IV Purity

Wings of Jade

“Announcing Choi Yeonhwa and Choi Yeonhee of Hansi Village!” I heard someone announce my presence as the large doors that led to the king’s throne room creaked open loudly. The echoes of the even drum hits entered my ears, signaling my turn to walk down the aisle, leading to the king.

Every step I took seemed to be a struggle. I was so nervous that I was pretty sure that in spite of the flower bath I was given earlier, I smelled of sweat by now. I was worried that my makeup would run, that my hair would fall, everything seemed to be a caution in the king’s presence. One wrong move could mean my life.

“Choi Yeonhwa has arrived.” I said as I got to my destination at the end of the aisle. I bowed in front of the king, leaving my head down.

“Choi Yeonhee has also arrived.” I heard my sister say and then follow my example.

“Please, rise.” The king said.

“Thank you your highness.” My sister and I said in sync as we both rose. We kept our faces down. No matter how much I wanted to see what the crown prince looked like, I knew I had to respect the king and queen.

“Ah, Choi Yeonhwa.” The king said my name. I felt as if my heart was going to stop from how nervous I was. I was suddenly aware of the eunuchs and court officials that sat to my sides.

“Yes, your majesty.” I responded with a slight bow.

“You were given the title of ‘Joseon’s Flower?’” He asked. How did they find out about that name even here?

“Yes, that is what the people of Hansi call me.” I replied.

“Tell her to lift up her face.” I heard a feminine voice, presumably the queen.

“Please, do so.” The king said to me. I heard gasps from the eunuchs around me. At first, I was reluctant. Was I allowed to do this? But I decided that it was better to go with the king’s command. I slowly lifted up my face to make direct eye contact with the king himself.

“Ah, such a beautiful girl.” I heard the queen say. “Don’t you think so?”

“Why, of course.” The king said, smiling at me. I watched as the wrinkles on his face slowly increase and deepen. “They gave you this name correctly.”

I lowered my head again, cautiously. “Thank you for your praise, your highness.” I bowed again.

“Oh please, continue to keep your head high. A beautiful lady like you should not lower your face.” The king said.

“Yes, your majesty.” I raised my head again. It was almost uncomfortable now.

This time, however, I didn’t just see the king. I saw the person sitting to the left of him. He was staring right at me. I had no idea who he was. He seemed to only be a teenager but was already donning the same attire as the king.

And then it hit me. It was the crown-prince. It was definitely him. I had to hold back the gasp in my throat. I admired his features. He had a handsome face, but he was tan; not a feature common in royalty. His large round eyes encompassed his face nicely. His full lips and sharp jaw line made him even more handsome. Did I even have a chance with someone like this? How could the king say I deserved the name of Joseon’s flower when his own son looked like that?

“And Lee Yeonhee.” The king said. Deep inside, I was happy that the king acknowledged my sister. I let a smile slip onto my face. I saw the queen whisper something to the king, and then the king chuckled.

“Ah, my queen says that Choi Yeonhwa is happy that her younger sister was acknowledged. What a beautiful sister relationship, indeed.” The king’s deep booming laugh echoed in the halls, as well as a few of the eunuch’s light laughter, but my eyes were on the crown prince. Instead of trying to avoid my gaze, he stared directly back at me. I wanted him to be enchanted by me. I wanted him to notice me. I wanted his attention.

“Choi Yeonhee, we would like to see your face as well. Please let us.” The king asked nicely.

My sister slowly raised her face to look at the king, but instead of maintaining eye contact with the king as I did, she lowered her eyes almost immediately.

“Oh, she is much shyer than her sister.” The king chuckled. “Choi Yeonhee, look at your sister. This whole time, her head was held high. She is not afraid of the king witnessing her beauty. Please, let me see your face.”

Yeonhee visibly swallowed and lifted her face for the second time. My sister was pretty. I always thought she was prettier than me, but my mother always said we were different types of pretty. She said I was more mature and seductive while my sister had an innocent charm to her. I couldn’t tell which one was supposed to be better.

“A beautiful face like her sister’s.” The queen said. “My, my. You two sure have different charms.”

The king nodded in agreement. “Now that I can see both of their faces, I can tell that they have been through very different journeys. Yeonhwa is fairer and slimmer but Yeonhee has a charm that you cannot ignore.” The king changed his gaze back to me. “Yeonhwa, you have spent a lot of your life avoiding men, correct?”

I looked up to him. How could he tell from just my complexion? “Yes, that is correct.”

“It is because they come after you when you go outside, correct?”

“Yes, that is true.” I said, grimacing at the thoughts.

“I’m sorry that the behavior of men has made your beauty such a burden.” A different voice said. With my gaze still upon the royalty, I realized that it was the crown prince to talked. It seems that he was not one who talks often, because even the eunuchs seemed surprised.

It wasn’t the fact that he talked that surprised me, but rather the fact that he was able to put all of my thoughts in one short, direct sentence. It amazed me. I couldn’t even figure out what was wrong with my emotions and here he was, telling me what I was feeling.

The king seemed proud as well. “My son speaks wise words. Choi Yeonhwa has beauty that no man could resist. Let me ask you, and please speak freely.”

“Yes, your majesty.” I was ready to answer any question he asks.

“Did you come to the palace willingly?” He asked. This seemed to catch the crown prince’s attention as well. His gaze immediately intensified, as did the king’s.

I stayed silent, formulating the answer in my head. “No, I did not, your majesty.”

“As I suspected.” The king said. “Why is that?”

“To speak honestly, your majesty, I would not be here if it were not for the face that I was born with. People believe that I belong in the palace because of my facial features, and not my talents. Many of the people who insisted I come to the palace were people I had only met once or never at all. I felt reluctant to leave behind my family and also because I felt as if I don’t deserve this opportunity. Because of this, I brought my sister along so if anyone from my village wins the hand of the crown-prince, it could be someone with a kind heart and many talents and not someone who is chosen because of their appearance.” I finished and lowered my head. I no longer had to courage to see how they would react to my long explanation.

“Do you believe,” the king continued talking, “That you do not have a kind-heart or many talents?”

There was an edge in his voice that I wasn’t sure how to react to. Did I say too much? Did I say something wrong? What if they kick me out?

Before I could even finish thinking, the king continued talking. “I don’t know about the talents, but I can already tell that you do have a kind heart.” He paused to clear his throat. “The fact that you felt as if you didn’t deserve the love and attention of the people shows just how selfless you are. On top of that you even brought your sister, someone who you deemed suitable for the position of a crown princess. Choi Yeonhwa, do not look down upon yourself. You are beautiful inside and out. I can already tell in these minutes that I have met you.”

I immediately bowed down. “Thank you for your praise your majesty. I am undeserving of such words.”

The king’s laugh echoed through the chamber again. “My, my. I have kept you two girls for much too long. You must have much to do. Please, Hongyi, take these two girls back to their room and give them time to rest.” He said towards the man I assumed to be Hongyi.

“Yes, your majesty.” He walked in front of the king and bowed before leading us out of the throne room. As soon as the doors close after us, I heard conversations between various people erupt.

This Hongyi turned around to look at us. “You two did very well. I’ve been working in the palace for a very long time, and there are very few people who can leave such a good impression on the king. I think both of you have a very high chance of becoming the next queen.” He said with a smile.

“Do you really think so?” Yeonhee said with a smile.

I liked Hongyi. I’m not so familiar with him, but he seemed to be someone with a bright personality who I could trust. Yeonhee also seemed to be fond of him.

“Are we free for the rest of the evening?” I asked him as we entered the courtyard.

“You are free until dinner. We will call you for dinner. Based on your impression, I’m assuming the king will ask for your company during dinner.”

“The king? Dinner?” I asked in disbelief. I was taught how to act in front of royalty, but the thought of eating with them was just blasphemy.

“Yes, of course.” Hongyi explained. “If you are to one day become the queen, you must be experienced in interaction with such important people.” He said. “Good evening ladies. I wish you good luck.” He said before turning around and leaving the courtyard.

“Unni.” My sister said.

“What is it?” I asked.

“Please tell me you brought your manner books.” She said desperately.

“I know Yeonhee I know.” I sighed. “I’m just as worried as you.” I smiled at her. “You did great today, you know that? I didn’t think my little sister was so cool.”

I patted her shoulder as a smile slowly appeared on her face. “I did bring the manners book.” I answered her question.


Later that evening, we weren’t called to eat dinner with the king, which was a relief to the both of us.

It was already late in the night, but I could not sleep. Yeonhee was already sound asleep, so I decided to take a night tour of the palace. I wasn’t sure if I was allowed to do this, but a little adventure couldn’t hurt, right?

As I pulled on a shall I brought with me, I walked out into the courtyard and admired the crescent moon that evening. The cherry blossoms in the center of the courtyard seemed to be majestic as the wind blew them away. A clear black sky allowed me to see hundreds of stars.

“I see that you can’t sleep either.” I heard a masculine voice come from the gate of the courtyard.

“Who is it there?” I said. I was worried that it was someone that could tell the king I was sneaking around.

“Do you not remember me?” I heard slow footsteps move towards him and then the rays of moonlight fell on his face just right so I could tell who it was.

Just his carved jaw line alone told me who he was.

The crown prince. 

 

a/n: annyeong readers :) february break has officially started and i can update more frequently now XD hope you enjoyed todays chapter and please give me your feedback XD don't forget to comment, upvote and subscribe ^^