III Preparation

Wings of Jade

“Is this the family of Choi Jun Sung?” A man in silk robes arrived at our door, and our guards let him in almost immediately. I could already tell that he was a messenger for the palace.

“Yes it is.” I replied, recognizing my father’s name. “How may I help you, sir?”

“Ah,” He looked at me, almost with recognition. “You must be the famous Joseon flower?”

I had to refrain myself from grimacing. That name made me uncomfortable beyond measures. “That is what they call me.”

“You do know that the people already requested for you to go to the palace.” He stated, more sternly now.

“Yes, I am aware.” I said politely, still not daring to face him.

“I am here to bring you to the palace.” He finally admitted.

I suddenly whipped my head up to stare at him, which he probably didn’t enjoy much. “N-Now?”

“Of course. The sooner you get to the palace, the more you will learn and the faster you’ll get settled in.”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean for that to be offensive, sir.” I quickly explained myself. “It’s just that this is such a short notice. I still need to pack and-“

“Everything you’d ever need can be provided in the palace. Clothes, needles, thread, accessories... the list goes on.”

“But sir, I must say goodbye to my family.” I stated. “My mother and sister are in the house right now, if you just give me some-“

He cut me off again. “Of course ma’am. The people also said that you have a little sister that they believe also should be in the palace.”

“Yes, they have said that before.” I thought of the old man who showed up at our door a few days ago. “Should I bring her out right now?”

“Yes I would like to speak to her and your mother.” He said.

“Of course, sir.” I bowed. “Please wait here while I go get them.” I slowly backed away and briskly moved into the house.

“Ummoni! Yeonhee-ah!” I called into the corridors. I was about to shout again before I heard a door slide open.

“What is it Yeonhwa?” My mom’s voice answered.

“Ummoni. The palace messenger was sent here to bring Yeonhee and I to the palace.” I told her.

“Already? With such short notice?” She questioned.

“I know, I know.” I nodded, just as frantic as her. “He wants to see you and Yeonhee.”

“Why, of course.” She said while brushing her dress a few times. “Yeonhee-ah!” She called

Yeonhee peeked her head from behind the door that was just open. “You heard our conversation.” My mother stated. “Come out.”

Yeonhee cautiously stepped out of the room. “But Ummoni… are we just leaving now?”

“Well. We’ll have to see.” She said while pushing me to lead them to the messenger.

As I walked into the courtyard, I saw the man standing with his hands behind his back, pacing around in circles, occasionally kicking a rock in the way.

“Here they are.” I said to get his attention.

“Ah, Ummoni.” He immediately bowed to my mother in respect. “I must show my respect to the mother of these two beautiful girls.”

My mother’s smile widened. “Why, it must have been difficult for you to have traveled such a long distance.”

“It’s worth it.” He assured. “You must be Choi Yeonhee.” He said while turning to my sister. “You are just as lovely and beautiful as your sister.” He praised.

I watched as Yeonhee beamed. Countless times when we walked in town together, people would only praise me and act as if Yeonhee didn’t exist. It made me uncomfortable just as it made her extremely sad. This messenger sure had his way with words.

He cleared his throat before talking. “Ummoni. I am here to bring these two young ladies to the palace for their education.”

“Yes I have been informed.” My mother nodded.

“I would like your permission to do so.” He said while lowering his head.

“Why, by all means, of course you have permission to do so!” My mother exclaimed. “I have been waiting for the day my two girls would be able to see the palace.”

“Then, we should get going.” He said, again bluntly. “The trip to the palace is not an easy one.”

My mother looked slightly gray. “Let me help these two girls pack their clothes and some food for the journey. You are welcome to come inside for some tea.”

“That sounds lovely.” He replied, basically inviting himself in.

“Great.” My mother smiled. “I’ll have our servant guide you.” She nodded at our cook, and she brought the messenger into the kitchen.

“Ummoni,” I asked. “Are you sure you’re going with us two leaving like this?”

My mother sighed. “What other choice do I have, Yeonhwa-ah?”

My sister let out a sniffle. “Ummoni. I don’t want to leave you.”

“Aigoo.” My mother smiled as she pulled us both in for an embrace. “I don’t want to leave you two girls either, but going to the palace will be exciting for both of you. Remember to study well and to be good role models. Ah, and Yeonhwa, keep your eyes on the prince. Yeonhee, keep your eyes on the second prince.”

I laughed at my mom. “Ummoni. Are you still thinking about what the old man said a few days ago?”

“Why, of course!” She admitted. “What fortune would it be for my two daughters to both be married into royalty?”

“Aigoo Ummoni.” Yeonhee said. “You have such high hopes!”

“I know dear, I know.” Ummoni assured us.


A week after we left our little town, Yeonhee and I arrived at the palace. The palace was nothing like what we had ever expected. Our little wooden home was considered luxurious back in our village, but the palace was beyond our imagination. Everywhere we looked, all we could think of was what it was worth, how much work was put into making that and what kind of people called this grand place their home. For once in our life, we were truly aware of the position of royalty.

Yeonhee and I were the first two girls of the twenty that were selected to come here. The messenger that brought us here turned out to not be a messenger after all, but actually the king’s right-hand man. We were escorted right away to our rooms and were prepared to meet with the king, queen, and prince.

“Unni.” Yeonhee whispered in my ear while walking towards our room. Two servants were carrying our luggage behind us. Before Yeonhee asked me her question, I turned around.

“Are you sure you don’t want me to carry something?” I asked. I knew it wasn’t my position to be asking such a question, but they seemed to be having such a hard time. They immediately shook their heads violently and the person leading us to the room turned around and gave me a look of disapproval.

“Unni.” Yeonhee said again, exasperated.

“What is it?” I leaned towards her direction.

“Do you think we’d see the second prince today?” she whispered.

“Aigoo.” I said while pinching her nose. “So it wasn’t just Ummoni that was thinking about that.” I laughed. “Yeonhee-ah, do you know why he’s called the prince in the shadows?” When she shook her head, I continued. “people aren’t really supposed to know about him. He may be royalty, but he is simply one of the princes. He holds power, but very limited. His only power comes from his birthright.”

“So basically, he’s not really supposed to be in the palace?”

“Basically.” I confirmed.

“We’re here.” The man in front of us stopped.

In front of us was a giant courtyard, filled with the blossoming flowers, all in different colors, signaling the arrival of spring. Around the courtyard were different rooms. I wasn’t sure if it was designed for all of us to fit in this one area, but Yeonhee and I were each given the privilege to pick our own room. Naturally, following my mother’s example, we picked the one furthest in the courtyard that was facing east.

The man seemed to approve of our choice since he smiled as we entered the room. The interior of the room was just as luxurious as the outside. Paintings hung on the walls while tables and chairs of only the finest wood stood around them. Our beds were decorated with silk sheets and feather pillows. At this point, I wasn’t sure just what I was signed up for in this palace.

“Originally it was supposed to be us who chose who lived in the same room as who,” the man began. “But since you two are sisters, I supposed you two should be living in the same room. I’ll leave you two to unpack and settle in. When you are finished, ring the bell outside your door, and the maids will come to prepare you to meet the king and queen.” He left the room as soon as he finished, closing the door behind him.

“Unni,” Yeonhee said. “Am I dreaming?”

I laughed at her innocence. “It sure seems like it, huh? I never thought I’d be able to live in such luxury.”

“Let’s get unpacking.” Yeonhee said. “I want to meet the king and queen.”

I nodded in agreement and took the bags that the two servants set down earlier. I opened a few of the windows to improve the lighting and the air quality. Even though we packed quite a bit of stuff, it was all clothing. We both quickly folded them away into our cabinet by our bed, and went outside to ring the bell excitedly.

As promised, a group of four maids walked up the staircase leading to our room. “Good morning Choi Yeonhwa-sshi and Choi Yeonhee-sshi. We will be preparing you for the meeting with the king and queen.” They bowed as the head finished speaking.

“Thank you for the amount of work you guys have to do because of us.” I said while bowing to them. They didn’t seem to know how to react to this and turned to each other with shocked faces.

We quickly invited them in and they set up everything they needed. Yeonhee and I both were to dress up in hanboks and elegant, but enormous, hair pieces. I was worried about my own balance with that thing on my head.

After I had taken off the outer layers of the dress I was wearing before, they started to wind the pieces of silk around me. As they got to the outer layers, I realized that my dress was a daring combination of purple and gold. I looked over to Yeonhee and realized that she was dressed in much more pure colors of pink and light green.

Our hair was taken out of the braid it was in before and then washed, dried, and combed. The maids switched now and I realized that each one of them much have a designated role. I watched through the mirror as her nimble fingers folded my hair into four sections and somehow braiding them in a way that I could never do. It seemed that the giant hairpieces that they brought with them were not us. Rather than that, my hair was tucked into a tight bun after the braid was finished, as was Yeonhee’s. A red amulet was placed on the top of my head and my bun was decorated with flowers. They then carefully painted my lips with a deep red. I thought they were going to continue with my face, and they seemed to read my confusion.

“It is better for someone who meets the king and queen to stay modest in terms of their appearance.” The maid explained. “Besides, you two girls don’t need it.” She smiled.

“It’s time for them to go to the king and queen.” The man from earlier came into the room. He was a little taken aback by both of our transformations. “My, my. As if you two weren’t already beautiful enough.” We both blushed at his compliments.

We carefully put on our chosen shoes and followed the man to the king’s quarters. Around us, I could see the government officials and other servants whispering to each other about us. I didn’t want to leave an impression here. I wanted to get my education and get out of the palace, but it seemed that was not possible.

“Is that,” I heard a familiar voice. “My Yeonhwa and Yeonhee?”

“Abeoji!” Yeonhee shouted behind me. Many heads turned towards the man who spoke earlier and then to us. I turned my head and sure enough, my father was walking towards our direction.

“Aigoo.” He said, staring at us. “Look at my two beautiful daughters. I am so proud of both of you.” He patted both of our shoulders.

“Excuse me, sir. We’re on our way to the king’s quarters.” The man who was leading us said.

“It’s ok.” I replied for my father. “This is our father that we haven’t seen in weeks.” I explained. I heard a few gasps come from around us. We seemed to be attracting a bit more attention then we should.

“Yeonhwa-ah,” Abeoji said. “It’s fine. I’ll see you around enough. I’m worried more about your mother now.” He sighed. “I won’t disturb you two anymore. Leave a good impression on the king, ok?”

We both nodded before Abeoji walked away from us. “Let’s continue moving.” The man said, irritated.

We followed tightly behind him before we reached the biggest structure of the entire palace, and I knew it was the king’s throne room.

“I will go announce your arrival.” The man said while walking up the steps. We were expected to stay there and wait until they invited us in.

Inside of me, my heart was thumping at an unbelievable pace. I was so nervous, maybe even terrified. What was a small village girl like me meeting royalty? Why is this happening to me? Is this the fate that was meant for me?

And then I thought about it again. Maybe, and just maybe, the old man the other day… was he really telling the truth?  

 

a/n: annyeong readers ^^ todays chapter was a little on the long side. >.< happy (late) lunar new year :) hope you enjoyed the chapter!