I Before

Wings of Jade

YEONHWA’S POV

“Yah, yah, yah,” A man said over in the bar. “Look its Choi Yeonhwa.” He pointed a finger at me. Even with my hat on, people could still recognize me. Wow, people are sure improving.

“Yah,” Another man said as he smacked his hand away. “Who gave you the right to call her by her name? No one else calls her that but her family. Joseon’s flower, Joseon’s flower. Get it right, man.”

I sighed. It didn’t matter what people said now. I already caught the attention of all of the people. I hate going outside. Why does it matter if I’m pretty or not? Why should they care? What’s it to them?

“Unni…” I heard my sister call from my side.

“Neh, Yeonhee?” I leaned a little in her direction.

“At least try to look happy.” She whispered. I sighed. I plastered a fake smile on my face and slightly bowed at the people who were talking about me.

“Aigoo,” One ahjumma said. “Joseon’s flower is so polite. Aigoo Jinhae-ah. Learn from her.” She tapped a little girl’s shoulder.

“So pretty. I’m jealous.” I heard two girls from the side say.

I was about to explode in rage, but I kept it to myself. I walked faster to catch up to my mom. “Umma. Next time, don’t bring me.” I whispered in her ear.

“My daughter,” She said as she turned towards me. “I know it’s painful, but it’s almost the prince’s birthday and the king will be looking for candidates for the queen position. We need people to recommend you.”

“Ummeonim. Abeoji is already a government official. Don’t we have a good enough chance?” I hissed. “Besides, it’s not like I want to be queen.”

“Aish,” Ummeonim blurted out, louder than it should have been. “Just be grateful with what you have, ok? Even if you don’t want to be queen, you can just have the title. Yes that’s right, just take the title.” She finished before walking faster, getting ahead of me now.

“Wooow.” I said in awe. “I’ll just take the title. Simple enough.” I whispered sarcastically.

When we finally arrived back at our house, I immediately dropped off what we bought in the kitchen and stormed into my own room.

“Don’t expect me to come out anytime soon.” I said before slamming the doors.

I sat down and stared at everything in my room. Books on etiquette, needles for embroidery, brushes and rice paper, nothing but stuff that a “perfect Joseon lady” would do. Why is the world so judgmental?

“Why are you so mad?” Ummeonim called from the other side of the door. “What is there to complain about? You got your first breath of fresh air for the first time in ages!” she exclaimed.

“Ummeonim.” I said, not bothering to open the door or look in her direction. “What part of ‘I don’t want attention” is so hard to understand?”

“Wae?” She said. “What’s so bad about having attention? You should be grateful that the gods blessed you with your beauty. Do you know how difficult life is for the ugly in this country?”

This time, I got up and opened the door to face her. “Ummeoni.” I said sternly. “I don’t think that being pretty is anything bad. I really don’t. I enjoyed looking at my reflection in the mirror. But no one told you to go around this small town calling your own daughter Joseon’s flower! Yes, ok, it’s a blessing I’m pretty. It’s a blessing you and Abeoji had a beautiful daughter, whatever, but why do I have to deal with all the attention? Do you think I’m the only one that’s suffering? Do you not think that Yeonhee is sad that people only call your oldest daughter pretty and not your younger one?” I was about to continue when I felt a pain all over the right side of my face. I looked up to see Ummeonim’s eyes full with anger and her hand, an ugly shade of bright red.

“You, you ungrateful child.” She said before walking away.

I felt my tears slide out of my eyes and I felt the sting on my right cheek. “I hate my life.” I muttered before sliding the door closed.

JONGIN’S POV

“Around 300 years ago, the Mongols conquered all of the Chinese continent, including the past Korean dynasty of Goryeo.” My teacher said.

“I thought we were independent from China now.” I said.

“We are. Let me continue.” He said with an irritated expression on his face.

“Eventually, the black plague that spread throughout the Silk Road, which led a drastic population decline. The Chinese rebelled, since they still believed in the Mandate of Heaven, and that is how the- did you just yawn?" 

I paused in the middle of putting my hand over my mouth and stared at him with guilt. 

"I think it's time this lesson ends." He closed his book loudly before storming out of the room. Honestly, it's not like this isn't the 3rd time i heard the story of the Mongols and the Silk Road and blah blah. I don't need to do this over and over. 

I shuffled around the room, putting the books back where they belonged and then walked out into the sunlit garden that led to my own room. 

"Good afternoon Prince Jong In." An eunuch said as he passed by. I bowed slightly at him and continued to walk my way. 

"Good afternoon Prince Jong In. How was the food?" The head maid said as i passed by her. 

"It was nice." I replied blandly. I continued to walk away.

"Prince Jong In, how is your day?" A court official said as he walked by me. 

"It was nice." I said again. I walked faster towards my room. 

I sighed when i finally closed the door to my room. Then i realized i wasn't the only one present.

"Good afternoon Prince." I heard a deep masculine voice say.

"Abeoji." I said as i bowed. He was sitting down in front of my desk, reading my notes. "What are you doing here?" 

"I came to talk to you." He said as he got up and walked towards my window. "Spring is early this year, is it not?" 

"Yes, yes it is abeoji." I answered. 

"It's almost your 18th birthday." He said getting to his point and then turning. "I hope you know what this means." 

"I am not sure what you mean Abeoji." I said while holding my head down. 

"You need to find a bride soon." Those words. Those ugly, nasty, putrid, rapacious words. 

"Why is that, Abeoji?" I asked, trying to keep my voice calm. 

"Well. You need to take the throne soon." The Emperor said calmly. "We need you to have a woman by your side, no?" 

I stared at him for a long time before he continued.

"I won't force you to marry anyone. If you don't want to marry any of the women that are brought before you, we will try again next year, and the year after if it happens again. Be grateful. I was forced to marry based on my mothers preference." He said as he faced the window again. 

"Abeoji, I-" I began.

"Son. No one takes the throne because he wants to, unless he is a malicious tyrant. I know that you are not a tyrant, and i know that you are not malicious. The sad truth is that we don't get to choose what we want and you need to accept that." 

A silence set in the room until my father continued again. "Expect candidates for your marriage to arrive in the palace soon." 

 

a/n: annyeong readers :) how was the first chapter? please don't be a silent reader ^^ XD 

just a disclaimer, i'm not completely sure about how the government systems worked in Joseon. Everything i'm writing now is based on historical kdramas. XD I'm pretty sure 18 is a little old for a prince to be getting married at that time, but i'll just leave it for now. :)

Thanks for reading :) don't forget to comment, subscribe and upvote ^^