Letter of Case

No Air

Dear Jieun,

I hope you woke up already! It's been five days so far when I'm writing this. I just want you to know that I'm alright, not exactly cured, but better. And that Jongin did not betray you in the way that you thought he did. There's a story that you need to hear.

When I was fifteen, the year after I met you, I met a very strange boy. He was blonde and cheeky. He treated me very well and we were like brothers. So when his father started a hunt to find the elixir of immortaliy, he told me all about it. His father researched books and watched documentaries on it. He told me that he was going to devote his life into helping his father. I thought it was ridiculous and I just laughed in his face.

It wasn't until a couple months later that I met your best friend, Jun Hyosung, that I found out the elixir did exist. Whether it worked or not, I didn't know. Hyosung invited me over to her house, you were there too. She had a playroom in which all of her toys were in. There was a fancy little box sitting on a tea party table. I asked her what was in it. She playfully laughed and said it was the elixir of life. You probably don't remember, but I do.

Being the big-mouthed teenager I was, I ran and told him. He was fascinated on why something as precious as the elixir could have been kept in a playroom. I just shrugged. He then told me he had homework to do. I knew he was lying because he never did his homework, but I just let it slide. Day by day, we stopped talking. He stopped asking me to hang out with him. My thought then was that he was probably busy.

One day, I was walking to your house and you were at the front door with a bouquet of flowers. You quickly turned around and saw him. He had given you the flowers. He gave you a quick wave and ran away. I saw you smile at this and I took all this in with a positive attitude. He had been busy with you. He had sent candies, bouquets, and gifts to your front door every single day. I thought he was madly in love with you.

Then, Hyosung invited you, him, and I to her house. Both of us showed up on time, except for him. We waited an hour for him, but he never showed up. We wondered that day where he was, well now you'll know. He arrived before us. He broke into Hyosung's house and stole the elixir. He told me this a week later, and I was speechless. I thought he truly was in love with you and that he really saw Hyosung and I as his friends. Of course, I didn't ask him why he betrayed you and Hyosung and why had he used me.

So that night, when I was over at his home for dinner, I asked to be excused to the restroom. Instead of actually going to the mens' room, I crept into his bedroom. I found the tiny box inside his closet. I was going to put it in my backpack but then his bedroom light . He told me to give him the elixir and we could start fresh. I didn't say anything and he demanded that I gave it to him or else he would kill me. He wasn't bluffing either, he was holding a gun and everyone knew how to use a gun.

His father entered the room and saw me holding the small box. He questioned me on what it was. His son told him that it was the elixir of immortality. His father told me to hand it over or else there would be consequenses. That's when I decided what I would do.

So I grabbed the elixir bottle and ran for my life.

I approached the park and I could feel his bullets speeding around me. I tripped and hid behind a tree. He shot the bullet at the tree. And trees aren't invinsible barriers. So the bullet shot through the tree and caught up to me. I was shot from my back to my stomach. I called 911 and told them I was at Segler's Park. Then everything turned black.

When I woke up, they were doing an operation on where I was wounded. To my surprise, I was still gripping the elixir bottle with all my might. They noticed I was awake and if I wanted a sleeping shot before they continued. I said I wanted them to hide the elixir somewhere safe. They told me that they couldn't help me with that. I told them that I want it in a place no one would guess to find it.

My heart.

Their eyes widened at this. I pleaded them to insert it inside my own, beating heart. They told me that I could die, but I said that I don't care and that they should just do it quickly. They gave me the sleeping shot and did it. They poured the elixir inside my heart. So now if anyone wants the elixir, they would have to break my own beating heart to get it.

Oh, and I forgot. The boy. I don't know where he was after that. He probably ran away with his father. I never forgot his name. Kai. Except now, he calls himself Jongin. I was angry that he played with your feelings just to get to the elixir. I spent years constently trying to cheer you up. In the process, I fell in love with you.

I saw him on the day you were suppose to meet up with him. I dressed up nice so you would think I had business to attend to. We met up at Segler's Park. He told me that if I don't give him the elixir, he would hurt you. I told him to get lost. He re the night of Hyosung's 18th brithday party and took me away. That's when I knew he would stop at nothing get the elixir. This time, he played with Hyosung.

They locked me in this room that was really dark. I couldn't see anything. Then, I saw blue spots in the dark and realized that the room wasn't dark. My vision was blinded. They gave me a shot that blinded me. The elixir kept me alive. When I could see again. I snuck out to their ship and sailed back to where you were. I found you at the park. I covered your mouth so you wouldn't scream. But they found me and I didn't want them to find you so I had to knock you out for a while so you would lay low. I'm sorry about that.

What really messed me up was when they took away my memory. I couldn't remember what we had. I couldn't remember everytime I held and kissed you. They took away the part of me that kept me alive. It was terrible. When I woke up again, I saw you. But my mind made me think that we were back to four years ago. When we were just friends. My memories are slowly coming back.

Don't worry, Jongin's probably far away now. I won't let him hurt you again, I promise. Please get better soon. I need to see your beautiful face again!

Your one and only,

Daehyun

P.S. If you ever see my eyes turn blue or something, don't be freaked out. It's just a side effect of the elixir.