HanHan 5

Romance Playground ~Hiatus~

Hansol drummed his fingers on his desk, staring at the clock just above the whiteboard. The day, to him, felt extremely long and lately, all the days had been feeling like this. His eyes slowly drifted to the empty desk in front of him and Hansol became more antsy. As soon as the bell went, he jumped up, surprising everyone.

He sat down again and looked to Byungjoo who was leisurely packing his things away. "How can she not come to school?" Hansol asked. "It's been days. She's a scholarship student, she'll lose her scholarship!"

"She called in to take some days off," Byungjoo said. "Haneun-sshi isn't one to just leave without letting people know."

"Yeah but...the school won't let her take any more days off," Hansol muttered then frowned and grabbed Byungjoo's shirt. "You said she called in. How did you know she called in? Did you talk to her?!"

Byungjoo stared at Hansol, looking a little scared. Hansol took in a deep breath and let go of his brother, smoothing Byungjoo's shirt out for him. Byungjoo straightened himself and stood up, walking out of the classroom with Hansol trailing behind like a puppy, waiting for him to talk. "She talked to eomma. Eomma called her to check on her and she told eomma that she wouldn't be in school for a while. Something about her mother isn't feeling too well and is hospitalised so she has to work and take care of her siblings."

"Her mother isn't feeling well? Which hospital is she in? Where is Haneun working? Do you know which school her siblings go to? Tell me!"

"I don't know! Eomma was the one who talked to her, not me."

"Then let's go home and ask her."

Hansol grabbed Byungjoo's hand, dragging his brother behind him. In record time, they managed to reach home and Hansol dashed off to look for Yoojin. 

"Ne...Okay then, take care of yourself, Haneun-sshi. I shall talk to you again," Yoojin smiled, hanging up the phone just as Hansol walked in. Hansol ran up to her and grabbed the phone out of her hand, shouting for Haneun to stay on the line but Haneun already hung up. "Aigoo! Hansol ah, what are you doing?" 

Hansol handed her phone back to her and grabbed Yoojin's shoulders. "What did she say? Did she say where her mother is hospitalised? Or did she tell you where she's working?"

"I don't know," Yoojin chirped, pushing Hansol's hands off her shoulders. "And even if I do, I won't tell you. You'll have to find out yourself and go to her to apologise."

"Eomma!"

"Don't you eomma me," Yoojin warned. "You're in the wrong, you need to start doing things yourself and fix it. Be a man. I'm going off to nag Byungjoo now. You've understood everything, right?"

Hansol nodded and Yoojin smiled, jumping up before walking out while shouting Byungjoo's name. Hansol sighed, heading up to his room and dropped onto his bed. "Do things myself and fix it...fix it...how am I supposed to fix it when she won't even pick up my calls or reply to my texts! ARGH!"

~Few Days Later~

Haneun was still a no show at school and Hansol was gradually losing interest in going as well but the hope that she might be there the next day kept him going. However, each day was more painful than the previous to get through. It wasn't easy for Hansol to stay for the entire day and after school, he just locks himself in his room, grumbling to his pillows.

Hansol threw his books across the room, rolling around on his bed. He kept mumbling to himself, turning the lamp on his nightstand on and off. He groaned, keeping the light on this time, staring at the ceiling. "What are you doing right now? Are you thinking of me too?"

He jumped when his phone rang and looked for it frantically because he recognised the ringtone. It was a special ringtone that Hansol purposely set for Haneun. He finally found the ringing phone underneath the covers and quickly pressed the answer button.

"Yeobeo...yeobeoseyo?" Haneun whispered. Hansol frowned, keeping quiet. Her voice didn't sound quite right and he somehow felt that this call wasn't meant for him. "Hanmin ah...it's unnie. *Cough* Hanmin ah...can you get Hansoo from school? I don't think I can come and get you guys..."

Hansol hung up and grabbed his jacket, rushing down the stairs, nearly tripping over in his rush. "Hansol ah, be careful!" Yoojin frowned, coming out from the kitchen holding a cake in her hands. "Where are you going? You promised you would try my cake for me. Hansol ah!"

Hansol went out of the door without a word. Yoojin sighed and looked down at her cake before smiling, about to go to Byungjoo's room when Hansol came running back in, panting a little. "Han...Han...Haneun's...Haneun's siblings...do you know what school they go to?"

"School?" Yoojin frowned, tilting her head. "Um...school...I remember she said something about XXX elementary school..."

"That must be where Hansoo is. Thanks," Hansol nodded, dashing off again.

"Yah! My cake! Are you not going to eat it?! Hansol ah!"

Not knowing where to go, Hansol took the taxi instead. He arrived outside the elementary school and stood by the gates, looking impatient. He got several weird looks from mothers and that got him to calm down a little as he figured he must look a little suspicious. 

He kept looking into the school and finally spotted Hansoo coming out with his classmates. Hansol stepped out from behind the gates so that Hansoo could see him. Without a doubt, Hansoo recognised him and walked over. "What are you doing here, Hansol-hyung?" Hansoo asked. "Where is noona?"

"Hansoo."

Both of them turned around and Hanmin headed over to them. She took Hansoo's hand and looked at Hansol, frowning before glaring at him. "Annyeong, Hanmin-sshi."

"What are you doing here? Is it not enough that you've hurt unnie? Come on, Hansoo, let's go."

"Wait...I got a call from your sister. I think she was supposed to call you but called me accidentally. She sounds sick."

"Sick? Ah...that's why she didn't come and pick me up. I thought she was busy at work..." Hanmin muttered. "Come on, Hansoo, we're going home to see unnie."

Hanmin walked past Hansol without a second look at him, holding her brother's hand tightly. Hansol let them walked in front of him and waited until there was a bit of distance between them before following behind. He followed them all the way home and stood outside the door as the siblings went in.

"Unnie!"

Hansol frowned at the shout and went into the house without thinking. On the floor near the kitchen lied an unconscious Haneun with Hanmin trying to wake her up. Hansol went over and checked to make sure she wasn't hurt anywhere then touched her forehead. "She has a fever," he mumbled and picked Haneun into his arms. "Get me a wet towel, glass of warm water and some medicine."

With Hansoo's directions, Hansol took Haneun into her room and put her in bed. "Hansol..." Haneun groaned, catching Hansol's hand in hers and gripped it tightly, not letting go. Hansol then remembered Haneun's habit of holding onto whoever was nearby when she was ill like so.

"I'm not going anywhere," he said as Hanmin came in with everything he asked for. "Haneun ah, I'm not going away but you have to let me go so I can take care of you. I promise I won't go away. I promise."

Slowly, Haneun let go of his hand, allowing Hansol to take care of her. Hanmin watched and sat at the foot of Haneun's bed. Hansol made Haneun take the medicine and placed the wet towel on her forehead, looking at Hanmin.

"Is there anything else I can help you with?"

"Unnie's supposed to be doing the chores," Hanmin said. "I have homework to do and Hansoo's too young. Someone has to clean the house. And cook for us."

"I...can't cook," Hansol said. "But I can buy you guys takeaway. I'll get going with the chores then."

Hanmin waited until Hansol was out of the room before going up next to her sister. "Unnie, I've taken revenge for you!" she grinned a little. "You said he's a rich guy, didn't you? Doing chores must be really hard for him. Just you wait, I'll make him clean the toilet as well. Rest well, unnie. I shall go and have my fun!"

As Hansol was doing chores, Hanmin followed him around, picking on him purposely. "Yah, you've missed a spot," she said, pointing to where he didn't wipe on the window. As he was cleaning the floor, she purposely dropped crumbs from biscuits she wasn't even eating onto where he had just cleaned. 

With much hardship, Hansol managed to finish all the chores and ordered takeaway for Hanmin and Hansoo. Before he left, he went to check on Haneun. Her fever had gone down though she was still fast asleep. Not wanting to intrude further, he decided to leave. Hanmin closed the door behind him and frowned a little.

"He didn't even complain..." Hanmin whispered. "Hansoo ah! Did that guy complain or say anything while he was in your room?" Hansoo shook his head and Hanmin frowned even more. "He can't just do the chores and leave with no complaints if he's who unnie said he was..."

"Hanmin..."

Hanmin heard Haneun calling for her and went to her sister's room. "Ne, unnie?"

"Oh? You're home...I'll make dinner for you and Hansoo then," Haneun said, trying to get out of bed but Hanmin pushed her down.

"We've eaten already. We've left you some food as well."

Haneun smacked Hanmin's head, frowning at her sister. "How old are you? Who said you could go near the stove? And since when do you know how to cook? What if you burnt down the house? What if Hansoo gets food poisoning?"

"I didn't cook!" Hanmin shouted, rubbing her head. "Your boyfriend ordered takeaway for us. I know I'm not allowed near the stove...I wasn't even going to go near it even if your boyfriend wasn't here."

"Boyfriend?"

"Kim Hansol," Hanmin said, leaning against Haneun's bed as she sat on the floor. "He was at Hansoo's school when I went to pick him up. He said you called him."

Haneun frowned and checked her phone. Her latest call was indeed to Hansol and she sighed. "I was going to call you but I must have pressed the wrong button..."

"Well, he followed us home. I didn't allow him in at first but I found you on the floor unconscious and he heard me shouting so he came in. He carried you to bed and took care of you, saying those cheesy things," Hanmin shuddered. "And I took revenge for you."

"Revenge?"

Hanmin nodded proudly. "I made him do all the chores. And I kept picking on him and making him do more work. I made him clean the bathroom for us as well."

"Is this what eomma taught you? To treat one like a slave when he's helping out."

"Mwo? He was mean to you, wasn't he? I was only taking revenge for you. Why are you on his side?"

"I'm not on his side."

"Well...he did everything without complaining...he's so weird. He kept checking on you as well...Unnie, are you sure he did all those things you said he did? It didn't look like it..."

It was silent for a while when Haneun noticed a note stuck on her nightstand. She took it off and recognised Hansol's handwriting instantly.

Haneun,

You should know by now that I came by. I know you probably won't forgive me but...I really miss you and I was stupid to hurt you. Somehow...I found myself really liking you. I'm not going to ask for your forgiveness but if you can, please come back to school. I'd really like to see you again. And if there's anything you need, you can call me.

Hansol

"Ugh! Oh my god...I'm getting goosebumps from reading it," Hanmin frowned, getting up. "I'm going now. I'll leave you to your cheesy note."

~Few Days Later~

Hansol hadn't seen Haneun since he took care of her when she was ill. Byungjoo was starting to grow concern for his brother as Hansol's energy depleted more and more each day with Haneun not turning up at school.

Hansol sighed deeply, resting his head on his desk. It became a regular pose that Hansol had adopted over the last few days. Byungjoo suddenly starting hitting Hansol's back. Hansol frowned and slapped his brother's hand away but Byungjoo continued until Hansol looked up. In front of him, Haneun walked up to her desk in front of his and sat down.

All the energy that was zapped away from Hansol suddenly came back as he sprung up in his seat, staring at Haneun even though it was just the back of her head.

"Staring is rude," Haneun said.

"Not when the person being stared at is beautiful," Hansol smiled.

Haneun smiled a little to herself but bit her bottom lip to stop herself from smiling anymore before turning around to face Hansol. "Don't barge into someone else's home next time. I can call the police on you."

"And tell them what? That I took care of a sick person and did all her housework for her?"

Haneun turned away and kept herself busy with her school work. Hansol continued staring at her and smiled to himself.

"Are you...are you staying for good?"

"An idiot asked me to come back to school because he wants to see me. He also said something along the lines of missing me."

"Oh really? Well, that idiot must have great taste in girls. I bet he's handsome too."

"Nope. He's an idiot. And a jerk. He played with my feelings." There was an awkward silence between them and Hansol hung his head in shame. "But this idiot came to my home and took care of me. He did all my chores and let my little sister bully him. I...I also missed this idiot."

Hansol smiled and looked up. "So...are you giving this idiot a second chance?"

"If this idiot hurts me again, I won't see him again. I'll delete him from my life."

"I promise to never hurt you again," Hansol said with his hand on his heart. "Ever."

"I was talking about an idiot, not you."

"Well...from now on, my name will be Kim Idiot."

~.~

"Sleep on the floor!" Haneun whined, trying to push Hansol off the bed but he didn't budge. Instead, he lied down and pulled Haneun down as well, holding her tightly by the waist and against his body. "Yah!"

"What? This is my bed. You're the one intruding."

"Who said I'm intruding? I only came for a tutoring session when you suddenly forced me to sleep over. And since when are you so close with Hanmin? How is it that she knew about me sleeping over before I did?"

"Secret."

Hansol smirked and held her tightly as Haneun struggled. Soon, she gave up and looked at him with his eyes closed. "This isn't another bet, is it?" she asked. Hansol shook his head. "Do you seriously like me?"

Hansol sighed and opened his eyes. He lifted Haneun's chin and kissed her on the lips. "I know I did something stupid and now you don't trust in me but please, just believe me when I say...I seriously like you, commoner."

"Idiot..." Haneun muttered. "I won't ever, ever forgive you if you hurt me."

"You've said that a million times," he laughed. Before Haneun could say anything else, he kissed her again but longer and more passionately this time.

The door to Hansol's room opened and Yoojin hummed softly to herself before stopping in her tracks when she saw the two teens. "Omo! Omo!" she gasped and turned around. "Aigoo...Yoojin ah...I'm sorry! Please continue, kids! No! No, don't continue. I'm too young to be a grandmother. You have to marry her first, Hansol ah!"

"What are you talking about, eomma?" Hansol frowned. "We're fully dressed."

Haneun blushed bright red and got off Hansol's bed. "I um...I'll sleep in the guest room or something," she said, heading out despite Hansol's protest.

"Eomma!"

"Omo...did I ruin everything?" Yoojin asked, looking at Hansol. "Boys sure are full of energy...Do you think Byungjoo is like that too? Either way, I'm too young to be a grandmother. Remember that, Hansol ah."

"We weren't going to do anything!"