—Three: Ritardando

Preludio de Armónicos

_________________________________

You would think that after all of that, it would be the younger boy's name on everyone's lips.

But of course, the moment Jongin was forcefully hauled back into the gloom of reality, the first thing he heard was,

"Did you see Chanyeol's performance? It was amazing. He's most certainly the most talented one they've got at Joonghwa." The moment he heard it said, he wanted to fall asleep all over again. But he couldn't, he was awake, and soon enough his parents had gotten ear of it and were rushing into the cramped little room with a thoroughly confused doctor in tow. Of course, it didn't take long for him to grasp the situation, and so the explanations began.

Exhaution. Malnutrition. Dehydration. Everyone sent him a glare upon hearing the news. "We told you this would happen. If you had just listened to us in the first place, and had taken a break, everything would be fine!". He found it quite funny that they didn't even bother to bring up his performance until he had made more than enough implications of that fact that they had neglected to. He knew they cared about him, and about his achievements, every bit as much as they did Chanyeol. Or at least, that's what they told him. It was at times like this when it really didn't feel like they would ever be pleased with him.

He sighed as his parents continued on their over-enthusiastic praising, a futile attempt to make up for their prior scolding. He let their praise fall upon deaf ears as he began to think about what had been said. There was a term that came up multiple times. Over-practising. But how was that even possible? How could one possibly practise too much? As far as Jongin was concerned, you could never be too ready.

"We're sorry for being harsh, but you've put so much money, time and effort into this Jongin! This whole mishap isn't just affecting you, it's taking a toll on all of us. How do you think Chanyeol felt, having to perform knowing his brother was being rushed to hospital."

How do you think I feel, knowing that your love for Chanyeol will never be the same as your love for me?

The doctor seemed to sense that Jongin had had enough of his parents' presence in the room, and asked for a private word with them. A short nod and a quick goodbye, and once again they were left in the waiting room. The tanned boy had to admit that the silence was  extremely peaceful. For a short period of time, he allowed himself to be completely suspended in nothing at all. No air, no world, no people. There wasn't a noise or sight in existance. No ideas, no violin, no Minuets or Allegros. Nothing. Jongin liked the presence of nothing so much, he decided that it was superior to every other state he had been in. 

But reality faded back in, sieving through the peace like raindrops on a spring afternoon. He could still hear the faint muttering of the people outside of his room. The ache in his head had evolved into something more reminiscent of spiked steel boulders being juggled inside of his head ruthlessly by a man of extraordinary strength.

There was a soft knocking at the door, and, as much as he wished to remain polite, the only response he could muster to it was an extremely pained and frustrated "What?" He saw the doctor again, but behind him was a vaguely familiar face. The stranger's large eyes were focused on the ground. His gaze flickered up for a mere second before going back to the floor. It was a strange situation, and not one that Jongin understood very well.

"Jongin, this boy said he would like to speak with you. Is that okay with you?" he asked. He couldn't tell if he was supposed to answer yes or no. Honestly, had it been anybody else, Jongin probably would've had them out of the room before they could manage a word in protest. But there was something there. No, it wasn't some cheesy 'true love at first sight' feeling, but rather an unexplainable feeling of kinship. Yes, it was undeniable that he'd seen this face before, and for some offbeat reason, he wanted to know where.

"He can come in." The pale boys eyes shot up at the words, and, upon being motioned to by the doctor, the moved towards the bed. Jongin was sent a look that said 'call me if theres any trouble' before the door was closed, and he was alone with this familiar stranger. Uncomfortable silence filled the room quickly, spilling over in every corner and edge. It was the other boy who began.

"So you're the imfamous Kim Jongin. I...I saw you perform last night. You were amazing," he trailed. He was clearly still too nervous to look Jongin in the eyes. The boys words brought confusion like a tidal wave. Was this some sort of...sasaeng fan? Honestly, why would a mere spectator come to his hospital bed to praise him? 

"Yea...uh...thanks. If you don't mind me asking, who are you? What's your name?" 

"My name is Do Kyungsoo. I'm one of the people who watched last night's performance. I'm sorry for imposing on your personal space. Really! I just...I wanted to make a suggestion..." his frail voice had died down so much by the end of it, he couldn't make out what he had said. 

"Sorry, could you repeat that?"

"Oh, sorry. I just wanted to make a suggestion." Jongin's false smile dropped immediately. This person, Do Kyungsoo, had come all this way, disturbed his peace to make a suggestion? It was clear what this would be. Take some time off. Eat more. Sleep more. Stop over-practising

"Of course," Jongin snarled, his expression darkening. Kyungsoo quivered at the raw tone of his voice, not daring to look up at him. He was sure, even without seeing, that his face would look well-prepared for eating him alive. "That's what everyone wants, isn't it? So tell me, Do Kyungsoo. How are you going to word your suggestion?" The accent he put on the final word was terrifyingly bold. 

"W-what do you mean?"

"Well, you know. Are you going to say I should take a break? Or maybe you think I should eat more? Or—" the tanned one let out a sinister chuckle, "—are you going to be brave, and say straight out that I'm an over-practising, over-dedicated moron? Go on Kyungsoo, take your pick. Or not. I don't care. I don't need anyone else reminding me of those things I've heard it so many times it's practically etched into my ear drums."

Kyungsoo shook his head violently. "No! I...I wasn't even going to comment on any of those things! If anything, the way you practise and the way that you manage to have this much raw determination...it's admirable! My suggestion...it's stupid. But it just might be what you need."

The other boy's ears were wide open, and suddenly every word leaving the latters mouth was important. He nodded, signifying that Kyungsoo could continue on, and so he did.

"Well, I watched you. And I watched your brother. I have to say, you were both amazing. But I also noticed that there was a slightly different quality in the way Chanyeol played it." The moment his brother's name was said, the bitterness gushed back in. The visitor, having noticed this, was quick to make amends. "And before you get upset and start believing that this is about Chanyeol, it isn't about him either. It's about you."

He took a deep breath. He knew exactly what he wanted to say; he'd been practising in the car. He just hoped and prayed that everything came out the same way that he had planned it to.

"You have impeccable talent. Your technique is flawless, your musicality? Phenomenal. But then again, so is your brother's. And with the two of you, there are millions of other people just like that. People who can play without trying, and people who try hard enough to be great. But no matter how hard you try, there's only so far that technique can get you, Jongin. It's important, that's for sure. But music is a balancing act, and the technique is only part of it. The quality of your violin, the way that you play, posture, and everything like that only makes up one side of the scale, but so many people see it as the whole thing. You're one of them, aren't you Jongin? You don't see much else other than that?"

Silence. There was a long, drawn-out silence before a small voice whispered, "What more is there to playing an instrument?"

"The story. You're missing the story! When you play, your eyes are dead on the fingerboard, watching carefully so as to ensure precision. But when Chanyeol plays? His eyes are closed. It isn't phenomenal finger-memory, Jongin. It's because he's feeling the story with every bow, every pluck. With every noise he makes, he tells a story. You perform something written out for you on music sheers, but Chanyeol takes people on a journey. And...maybe that's it. Maybe you just need to see more than just the music. You need to play more than just "C, C, F, G, C", but rather the falling of someone's heart as he realises his true love is gone."

And by some miracle, Jongin understood. Actually, it was more than that. He...agreed. Somehow, by spectating him, he managed to detect something so phenomenal. The signs were small, but the discovery was more than amazing.

"Well, how do I do it? How do I get in touch with 'the story'?" Jongin asked, more interested than he had been at any other point in this meeting.

"There's a youth music retreat. Starts on Saturday, and it's two weeks. No school, no family, nothing. You're in a mountain retreat with people who are just as passionate as you, and there aren't any leaders, you learn from each other. There are guides, and regulators, and they provide a rough outline, but the real program is decided by you. I know it's not exactly your style, but maybe you'll find what you need? What do you have to loose? And then, after that, in four weeks there's another showcase. We can find a way to get you in, and that scout, he'll be there. You were trying to impress him right? Well, you have a second chance. So...please?" Kyungsoo had become more confident in the situation than he had been in a long while. He desperately wanted a yes. He wanted to spend the retreat with Jongin, he wanted him to improve. But most of all, he wanted to watch it happen.

"I'll think about it."

It wasn't exactly the answer he'd been hoping for, but it was good enough for the pale, moon-eyed boy. It wasn't a yes, but it wasn't a no either. He'd just have to wait and see.

 

 

_________________________________

 

 

Chanyeol was never good at respecting other people's personal space. Ever.

So it wasn't exactly a surprise to Jongin that his brother had been eavesdropping on his conversation with Kyungsoo. He sat on the edge of Jongin's bed, watching as his little brother contemplated. In all honesty, Chanyeol had never seen Jongin this focused on a matter. Most things were black and white to him, so the discovery of this new 'gray patch' was enthralling.

"Go. I'll come. It'll be good for the both of us,"

Jongin frowned slightly at the mention that his brother would be there too, but his brother's appearance wouldn't stop him. 

It took a little bit longer to separate the spaghetti of his thoughts, but soon enough it became apparant that Jongin did want to go. So the applications were filled in and sent to the address stated.

"That Kyungsoo, he was good looking. Quite cute too. I like him."

And in that moment, Jongin wished there was a way for him to transform his eyes into lasers and make Chanyeol disintegrate off of the face of the Earth.

 
 
 
 
_________________________________
 
 
 
 
A/N:
Hooray for quick updates?
Yey I'm so happy I'm FINALLY on school break and so I have a lot more time to do all of this.
Hoped you like it! They finally meet~
Comment/Subscribe :D