Chapter 2

"Dance with me. That's all I ever wanted."

[HARU’S POV]

Suho: “Hey.” I looked up from my book to find Suho, standing beside the table I sat at. “Oh! Hey.” He chuckled. Suho: “Can I sit here?” I nodded. He took a seat beside me. Suho: “What are you doing?” I pointed to my books. “Studying.” Suho: “You’ve been doing that for the past couple of months. Don’t you ever give yourself breaks?” I chuckled. “Breaks are my goals at the end of studying.” I spotted Jihye making her way to us. Suho: “Your friend?” I nodded. Jihye: “Your guy friend?” These two have so much in common. I nodded. “Jihye, Suho. Suho, Jihye.” They shook hands and had an awkward moment with one another until Jihye: “Haru, come with me.” I stopped. “Eodiseo?” Jihye: “Just come.” She took my hand and rushed me outside.

I heard music thumping in the air. I finally had an idea what she’s about to do. I stopped her immediately. “Jihye, I know what you’re thinking.” She looks at me. Jihye: “But, it’s going to be so fun, though. Just dance with me.” I shook my head. “You could dance with people in there. You do know how to have fun.” She chuckled. Jihye: “I don’t want my boyfriend to get jealous.” I saw her eyes staring at a guy. I followed where they were pointing to and it was Suho who stood coolly with his friends. I saw him behind Suho, too. “Jihye, I can’t do this.” I tried to pull back, but she held onto me. Jihye: “It’ll be fun, trust me.” I kept shaking my head. “Not with him here.” Jihye looked like she got the message and looked at Suho. Jihye: “So, your first crush was actually one of those guys?” I nodded. “Mian. I just can’t do this.” I took my hand back and headed straight to the library, bumping into Suho and his friends. My shoulder bumped into him, but it looked like we could not even care about each other.

[KAI’S POV]

I stood behind Suho to find Jihye leading Haru to a dance crowd. Music was thumping in the air and it made me wanting to dance. It had a good beat that we can both dance to. Haru saw me and after a brief discussion with Jihye, she ended up walking towards us. Her shoulder bumped into me. I stood in the position. I couldn’t help but turn to look at Haru, watching her walk away from the scene. I felt those heartaches again. Suho: “So, it’s her, isn’t it?” I knew they were staring at Haru also. I nodded. “Song Haru…”

After getting out of my class, I slowly walked into the hallway with an opened book in my hand. Students from the same class dissolved quickly, so I was left alone. I flipped through the pages as I heard footsteps walking in my direction. I looked up to find Haru also with a book in hand. I scoffed silently to myself. While walking by one another, I tripped her on purpose, causing her to almost fall over, but I caught her hand in time. “Be careful.” I said it with a poker face. She didn’t look at me in the eyes, but at the ground. She took her hand away and continued walking in her direction. I let her walked away for a bit. I wanted to dance with her again, so I walked behind her quickly, taking her hand. I made her turn around and pulled her towards me. She pushed me away and continued walking. I chuckled. This was like our usual dance routine. I did the same thing again, taking her hand and making her turn around. I pulled her towards me again and I saw the same sincerity in her eyes.

Haru: “Stop. I don’t want to do this with you anymore.” I held my poker face. “Haru, talk to me again.” She stood quiet and this time, she really looked at me in the eyes. Her eyes were reddening. Haru: “Wae? Why would I talk to you again when you’ve been avoiding me like crazy?” I fully grasped her hand and held her in my arms. “I know. I’m sorry.” She pushed me away. I could tell she wasn’t going to back off. Haru: “No, you’re not. Your apologies are worthless.” My poker face disappeared. I was feeling those heartaches all over again and these heartaches were even more hurtful.

[HARU’S POV]

“No, you’re not. Your apologies are worthless.” His face was telling me that he was truly sorry, but I didn’t want to fall for that same exact face expression. That same heartache feeling came back, causing me to be even more miserable. I turned around and continued walking in my direction. I slowly walked, though because of the tears in my eyes. When I exited the building, I sank down and sat on the stairs. I wish I could’ve gone to a different university.

[KAI’S POV]

I walked around the campus and ended up entering a dance room. Memories of us dancing together came into my head. I could picture the old dance room back in high school and that was where I heard my heart pound very fast. It was the last pose of the couple dance and I held her in my arms. My arm went around her back while we held each other’s hands. I looked into her eyes and smiled. But, that odd feeling kept hitting me, causing my smile to fade. Am I falling for her? I asked myself that question. I was afraid to fall in love and I didn’t want her to be the one getting hurt. I let her go and straightened myself. We laughed off the awkward feeling before she left the room.

Now, that same odd feeling came back, making my mind go crazy. I threw my stuff down and plugged in my iPod. I was going to dance one last time to make this feeling go away forever. Our song started playing and when that one good beat came on, I started moving. I knew the lyrics well, so I let out my emotions. I couldn’t stop these heartaches that made me feel this way. When the song came to an end, I dropped on my knees. Tears were strolling down my cheeks already and my eyes were red. I was panting as I looked at the mirror in front of me.