Chapter 1

"Dance with me. That's all I ever wanted."

[KAI’S POV]

“Beat him.” I watched my friends gather around a guy who talked trash about me. They threw punches, knocking him down on the ground. They started kicking him in the guts. He deserved it for saying so much crap when he should be the one watching what he has to say. After a couple of minutes, they stopped. I bent forward. “Better watch your mouth next time.” I straightened up. “Kaja.” We left him on the ground, groaning in pain.

When we got back to the hideout, Kris took out a pack of soju. Kris: “Let’s drink!” I scoffed. Sehun went to grab the snacks, while everyone else gathered around. We decided to drink outside because of the beautiful night sky. Lay: “You know what I’m curious about?” They were already drunk after a couple of drinks. I drank one bottle of soju only because my thoughts were not on them as of this moment. Xiumin: “What are you curious about, Lay gege?” Lay started laughing weirdly. Chanyeol: “He’s curious about you, Xiumin.” Xiumin looked at Chanyeol with a drunk glare. Xiumin: “Chanyeol-yah, are you ready to die?” He started laughing along with everyone else. “You guys are so drunk.” I laughed and took a sip of my soju.

Lay: “I’m really curious why Kai hyung isn’t dancing anymore.” I looked at him, who acted like I wasn’t there. Lay: “Every time I ask him to do a dance routine with me, he’ll give me stupid excuses like my foot is asleep or I have to go do something right now.” I understood him because he has been asking me about a dance routine repeatedly every day. I sighed. “Lay-ah, do you really want to know why I’ve stopped dancing?” He took a sip and nodded. Suho: “Tell us, Kai! Tell us.” I laughed as they all positioned themselves toward my direction. I felt like I was a teacher. “It was because of her.” Chen: “There was a girl?” I chuckled and nodded. “It was a girl, all right. She danced with me, so she was pretty much my dance partner. I was beginning to like her when we did a couple dance together. The feeling of liking someone was indescribable.” I took a sip and put the soju down. Tao: “What happened next?” I began to recall back those memories. “I fell for her hard. I got to a point where I avoided her because I didn’t want her to fall in love with a jerk like me. I kept pushing her away and make excuses. When I kept doing that to her, I didn’t realize that she was going farther away. I couldn’t bring myself up to talk to her, even though I was dying inside. My heart ached because of that situation.”

Kyungsoo: “What happened to her, hyung?” I played with the soju bottle. “I let her slip from my hands.” I could picture what happened during that time. “We never talked since then. I walked past her in the hallways sometimes and I just pretend like I don’t know her.” Luhan: “Kai, whatever happened to you, man.” I shrugged my shoulders and took another sip of my soju. “I don’t have a clue also. I’m not the same anymore.” Chen: “What’s her name?” Kris: “Do we know her?” I chuckled. “Her name is…”

[HARU’S POV]

Jihye: “Hey, Haru!” I arrived at a restaurant in my usual tomboy clothes. I waved at her and gave her a hug. Jihye: “Yah, you were supposed to dress nice to my party.” I chuckled and twirled in a circle for her. “I’m cleaned up, aren’t I?” She pinched my arm and linked her arm around mine. Jihye: “You are such a tomboy, woman. I wish someday I can dress you up.” I laughed as I followed her lead. We arrived a small table with the rest of our friends who were waiting for us. Haerin: “Is that you, Song Haru?” I spotted Haerin standing up and making her way to me. I chuckled and gave her a hug. “Yes. Yes, it is, Kang Haerin.” She looked at me up and down. Haerin: “Wow. I wish I was in the same attire as you are.” I whispered into her ear. “Trust me, you don’t. Jihye just threatened my earlier.” She chuckled. Jihye: “Yah, Song Haru!” I laughed. “Coming, miss.”

After eating, we waited for our desserts to be served when Yebin brought up about dating. Yebin: “We’re all dating, right?” I put down my glass of wine and cleaned my mouth with a napkin. Jihye: “Of course, except for Haru dear.” I shot her a glare and chuckled. “I’m living the single life.” Yebin: “I thought this entire time you had a boyfriend?” I shook my head. Haerin: “You had a boyfriend before, right?” I shook my head. Their eyes widened. Yebin: “Mwoh?? You never went out on a date then?” I took a bite out of my dessert when it was being served.  I shook my head. Jihye: “Crush?” I stopped as I began to recall my dancing years. Jihye: “Oh?? So, she does have a crush then.” I put my spoon down and smiled. “Yeah. I did, but that was back in high school. Let’s talk about something else.” They chuckled. Yebin: “Sorry, but we’re not letting you get away this time, Haru-ah. Tell us.” I sighed in defeat. “Fine. But, this is going to be the only time I will share this with you gals, araso?” They laughed and nodded.

“I loved to dance.” Haerin: “As in k-pop dancing?” I nodded. “I haven’t done it in a while, so anyways, dancing was a hobby I was good at and later on in high school, he came along. He surprised me so much with his dancing skills that he had me at hello.” They giggled out loud. Jihye: “Awww…” I chuckled. “He became my dance partner and we did a couple dance together. And because of that couple dance, I was starting to fall for him.” I was beginning to recall back the memories of dancing. It made me sad. “But, things were not falling into place and I ended up being played around. I didn’t get to dance very much, even though I wanted to. I didn’t have that same feeling or energy anymore. I was so close into finding another person to dance with, but no one danced like he did. He would make sorryass excuses for himself and that made me sad. He started to avoid me. As soon as I started noticing why he was acting like that, I couldn’t keep up with him any longer and lost all hope for us. It was probably because he didn’t like me. I was a tomboy that time.” I looked at them. Haerin: “Yah, being tomboy isn’t the reason why he doesn’t like you.” Jihye: “Yeah, I agree. Have you asked him why he was avoiding you?” I cracked a smile. “That’s the thing. I don’t know why.” They bummed out. Yebin: “Where is he now?” I sighed. “I walked past him before. I didn’t like the silence between us, but I started pretending as if I don’t know him at all. I’m sure he’s doing the same thing also.” Jihye: “Song Haru…” I chuckled as I brushed a tear away. “Girls, stop it. I’m telling my first crush story and I don’t want to end up crying.” They chuckled and got up from their seat. They came around me and gave me comfort. Yebin: “Let’s take a picture.” I was confused. “W-Waeyo?? This isn’t a good time to take one.” I chuckled nervously. Jihye: “Don’t worry. It’s a good time.” Yebin: “We’re taking one because this is evidence for getting teary over your first crush.” I giggle and she snapped the picture.

After having a blast, we departed ways. Jihye: “You sure you don’t need a ride?” I shook my head. “I’ll be okay. Get home safely or else your dad will come kicking down my door asking for you.” I joked around as she pinched my arm with a smile. Jihye: “Araso. Get home safely, too, okay?” I nodded as she got in the car and drove away. I sighed and turned around. To my surprise, I saw him again. He was walking slowly in a black trench coat with his hands in his pockets. I wished my house was in the opposite direction, so I wouldn’t have to run into him. He stopped also when he notices me. I clung onto the strap of my bag and walked in his direction. I wasn’t going to take notice of him since he’s been giving me the same treatment also. As soon as I walked past him, my heart was beating rapidly and I could feel my cheeks turning red in the cold. When I kept walking further away from him, I could feel this large gap between us. We were so distanced.