Fate Has Decided

If Fate Decides It

~one year later~

              Choeun walked on the beach. The sun was bright but the air was cool next to the water. The wind blew her hair and she looked down at the thing that had bumped into her. She picked it up examining the ball. It brought her back to the memory of that day; the day she met Kim SungGyu.  She was hopeful for a few months after their meet but, they never did meet again. She still held her feelings toward SungGyu close to her and didn’t involve herself in any romance. “Maybe it was just those one-time moments.” she said to herself

                “Choeun?” she looked around for the voice that she longed to hear for what seemed like forever. “Choeun, is that really you?” she turned to see a brown haired man, his eyes were small but his smile was big. He wasn’t on the skinny side but he wasn’t fat either. He was naturally cute but gave off a sort of cool manly feeling.

                “S-SungGyu?” he walked up to Choeun.

                “Long time no see huh?” he rubbed the back of his head

                “U-uh yea. So, how have you been?” he seemed… ashamed of something.

                “Choeun.” He smiled,” I’ve been good… What about you?”

“I…” she wanted to tell him how she missed him for all that time and how she waited and longed to see him again, “I’m doing good also.”

                SungGyu nodded, “S-so, what have you been up to this past…. Year? Wow, it’s been that long.” He smiled as he looked away slightly.

                “Um I, haven’t been seeing anybody and I-“ She was cut off by an girl wrapping her arm around his. Choeun was alarmed as SungGyu looked down in shame.

                “SungGyu. Whose thiiss~” she looked at him threateningly.

                “Th-this is an old friend.” He said trying to cover up his sadness. He looked into Choeun’s sad eyes, she felt she just got betrayed, “Choeun…. This….is my girlfriend, mina.”

                “Anyeonghasayeo.” She bowed at mina who was eyeing her with disgust and uncomfort. “I should get going.” She forced a smile on her face, “it was so nice to see you again SungGyu,” her eyes started to water, “it was really nice. Have a happy life SungGyu.” She ran off to the top of the beach.

                “Choeun! Wait!” he started to run after her but was held back by mina.

                “SungGyu! Why are you so interested in that girl? Let’s go.”

                “ I’m not interested in her.” He lied, “to make up for it, let’s go to the fair tomorrow.”

                “Okay!” she pecked him on the cheek as he looked in the direction Choeun went.

~~

Trying to forget the incident the day before, Choeun decided to go to the fair and take pictures. Once she arrived, she decided to go on the Ferris wheel, “the scene from up there must be great!” she waited in line and finally got onto the cart. She took a couple pictures until she saw it… at the corner of her picture, a cart got in the way and revealed two people very happy with each other. Face to face, smiling and laughing away. Choeun put a hand to to stop the sound of the escaping sobs. Once the ride was over she lost her way to the entrance and ran around trying to find it. She saw the big sign and mad a dash for it colliding with a woman standing near a booth.

                “Aish!! Watch it!” the young woman yelled.
                “Mianhayeo!” the woman got up by herself as the man standing next to her held out his hand to help her up.

“Are you okay?” he asked worriedly.

“Nae. Kamshamida.” After looking back up from her bow, she looked at his face. “Choeun?”

She gasped as she ran out the exit and departed the fair. “Choeun…” he held his hand out longingly as mina grabbed it and held it. “SungGyu! Yah! Kim SungGyu!” he looked at her emotionless. “Yah, your friend ruined my new dress!”

“Mina,” he said dryly looking away, “I… don’t want to date you anymore.”

Her eyes widened, “b-bwoh!? A-are you, breaking up with me?”

“yes.” He looked at her, “I want you to be happy. Live a good life. Meet someone who you love and who loves you too.” He held her shoulders.

“S-SungGyu…”

“Bye mina.” He ran off into the direction Choeun went. He went to the only place he knew: the beach. When he arrived, he searched by all of the stores and looked up and down the beach until he spotted her. Sitting in the volleyball court near the water where they first met. He approached her slowly from behind.

“Choeun-ah.” Startled, Choeun turned around and wiped her eyes.

“What are you doing here?” she tried to reply coldly.

“Choeun,” he stepped closer to her but she only rejected him.

“Stop. Stop doing this to me! Do you know how long I waited for you? Every day since we met. I thought, maybe I’m trying too hard and fate need to play it out like I had said that morning, but you never came.” She shook her head. “Even though you never came, I held my feelings about you and didn’t date anybody.” She started to cry, “And the day I heard your voice again I thought I was dreaming. Seeing your face again was a dream. But I should’ve known. That you would move on and find someone else. So just stop appearing around me. I don’t want this anymore.” She said quietly.

“Choeun! It’s not like that!”

“Stop!-“

“No!” he quickly hugged her and sent her into shock, “I’m not letting go this time. In fact, I’ve never let go.” Choeun cried into his shoulder. “Mina’s parents work with my parents and they thought that we would be perfect together since we were their next next in lines. Choeun, I was forced into it. And when I saw you on the beach again, I thought I was hallucinating.” He hugged her tighter, “I missed you so much.” Choeun slowly hugged him back and looked up at him.

“SungGyu-ah,” he looked at her

“Choeun. I love you.” He leaned in and pressed his lips against Choeun’s. And they stayed like that for a while, both wondering if it was another dream they were going to have to wake up from.

“Choeun?”

“Yeah?”

“You want to spend the night again?” Choeun laughed into his shirt. “Sure.”

~~

They arrived at his house and she stood with him in the hallway. “Would you like to…. Not sleep on the couch this time?”

                “l-like with you?” she shyly nodded her head. They walked to the bedroom together as they lay comfortably under the sheets with their legs tangled together. And they fell asleep whispering sweet nothings into each other’s ears.

The next morning, the sun beamed through the window and caused Choeun to flutter her eyes open. The light had softened the face in front of her and she wondered if it was just another dream. She reached out to touch the sleeping hamsters face to make sure it was real when his eyes opened.

 “SungGyu-oppa~ are you awake?”

                “My eyes are open aren’t they?” he said sleepily.

                “Hehehe I can’t tell.”

                “Yah.” he squeezed her tighter and rolled around on the bed.

                “I woke up and thought it was another dream~”

“Me too” he replied with a smile

“So do you think it decided well?” Choeun nuzzled her face into his chest.

He looked at her, “yes. It was the best decision” Choeun then pressed her lips to his.