Chapter 1: The Take-off

Serenity

t*This chapter contains profanity and those who wishes to not read such obscene language can disregard the chapter.

Ailia woke up in the middle of the night to the vibration of her phone beneath her pillow, indicating that a new text was sent. Still in her slumber, she took the phone from beneath and look to see who was messing with her beauty sleep. It was Hari, her best friend for life ever since third grade who had moved to Korea due to her parents' businesses.

Hari: "Ailia! Are you excited for tomorrow?! Your first time traveling overseas! And it's Korea!?! I'm so excited to have you with us!! Did you tell your mom yet though?" the text read.

Slowly waking up, Ailia reduces the brightness to keep her eyes from squinting through the burn.

Ailia: "I'm excited too!... but I don't want to tell her. She does not deserve the acknowledge. The woman don't even know how to take care of herself, how is she suppose to take care of me, and Sunna?! Besides, I'm most worried about Sunna. I've been her 'mom' and took care of her ever since she was born and now I have to leave her and let that be in charge of her!"

Almost instantly, another text came from Hari.

Hari: "If only you could tell your mom... I wish you would be more compassionate about her... I know you've been through a lot, but so does your mom. I mean, she was not like that from the start. I think she have the right to know... But Sunna can handle it. Your sister is stronger than you think."

Ailia: "I know Sunna is strong... But I cannot assure her safety if she is in the hands of that beast!! I don't know... I feel extremely horrible leaving her behind... What if the try to sell her too?! Oh god, let's not talk about this anymore, I'm so sleepy. I think I'm going to have a migraine from all the stress and sleep deprivation."

Hari: "Think positively hun. It's ok! Sunna is smart, strong, and she can cook! If your mom ever tries to sell her, I'm pretty sure Sunna can take her down. I'm so sorry, I forgot it's nightime over in the US!! Sorry boo! Sleep tight and I'll see you on Sunday's night!"


Ailia arrived to the airport at 9:00 a.m. on Saturday with Sunna sitting next to her in the passenger seat. Both girls were tearing silently.

"Don't cry," Ailia said to Sunna, wiping away her tears. "Not now. Do not waste your tears. You're strong, you can do it."

"Do what?" Sunna asked, her voice shaky. "What can a sixteen years old girl do?"

"Look, I know that I am being a horrible sister leaving you here all alone, but you have to understand that I can't handle all of these anymore. She was trying to sell me so she can go back and do them crack again! Do you want to be in that situation?!" Ailia exclaimed. "You're only sixteen, you're still underage. If she's smart, she can't touch or harm you at all. I know you're strong and smart. You can handle anything! Here... that's your new phone and keys. I asked Angie if you can stay with her until I'm able to have you come over with me and she agreed to help. Be nice to her for me. She's not charging us any monthly rents so you better help her out with house chores. It's time, I have to go now."

Both girls wipe off their tears and went to grab Ailia's luggages. Since they arrived early, the girls went to grab a bite at one of the McDonald's stores in the airport.

"How much do you have left?" Sunna asked.

"Don't matter. Just eat and be full." Ailia replied. She only have about fifty dollars left, which she think will be engough to last her for a month in Korea.

"Ok. When are you coming back?"

"I thought we've been through that," Ailia exclaimed and stopped eating. "I don't know if I'm coming back or not. I might stay there permanently if I get the chance. And when the chance come, I'll pass it onto you too."

"Can't you bring me with you now?" Sunna pleaded. She too, stopped her meal.

"As much as I wish to, I don't have enough. Being a high school drop out since sixteen, no one want to hire such a person. I've been saving for this ever since and for eight years I only have enough to buy a ticket for myself."

Sunna reached into her bag and pulled out an envelope. "Here, take this," Sunna said.

"What is it?" Ailia asked curiously.

"It's just... some money that I've been saving." Sunna responded.

"Saving? You have a job?! Since when? Does mom know about it?" Ailia exclaimed and reached to see how much was inside the envelope. One-thousand dollars. "Where did you get all these money?! Did you steal it? Or did you tell the so she gave them so you?!" Ailia blurted.

"No. You're the first person I've ever told. Mr. Johnson from below us found a job for me and I've been working with him ever since junior high."

"Mr. Johnson?! Why are you calling him Mister? His name is Jack and he's only a year older than me! And why are you talking to him? Don't you know he's a big ert?! He's been eyeing you ever since we moved in! He's dangerous!! He's a drug dealer! What kind of ing job did he gave you?! Don't you know how dangerous it is?" Ailia questioned angrily, feeling that her sister is up so something horirble.

There was a moment of silence. "It don't matter," Sunna said. "I'll take care of it."

"Quit now," Ailia sighed. "I don't know what kind of job he offered you but since I'm not going to be here no more, I don't want you to work with that jerk. What about school? Don't tell me you dropped out too!"

"He's not a jerk," Sunna muttered. She started to burst in tears. "Why are you only caring for me now?"

"What are you trying to say?! He's not a jerk? Not caring for you? What about all those years that I've been working just so you can eat and be alive everyday for? Why are you like this? Why are you crying?! Did that er do something to you?!"

"He didn't do anything!!" Sunna yelled. They are not the center of the room. "Let's go. It's about time you go through security."

Sunna raised from her seat, grabbed Ailia's luggages walked quickly away to escape the scene. Ailia was confused as to what was wrong with her sister and followed her to the security line.

"Hey... hey... hey," Ailia caught up and tried to talk her sister through. "Hey... what's wrong? Tell me, I'll do something about it for you."

Sunna looked away and sputtered, "I can't. You can't do anything anyways. You're about to leave the country. Just go through security or you'll be late. The flight is at eleven. You only have thirty minutes left to go through all of those ."

"Hey, watch your language Sunna. Who taught you that attitude? Was it the Johnson douche?" Ailia exclaimed, mad at the secret her sister is keeping from her.

"Just shut up!" Sunna cried and pushed Ailia towards the security line.

Being so crowded in the line, Ailia cannot go back to see how her sister is doing and have to continue through security. When everything was all done, she ran back to the front of the line but was stopped by an officer.

"Sorry ma'am, you can't cross here after you've been through security." the officer said.

"I need to get something from my sister, I need to go and I'll be right back!" Ailia pleaded.

"Sorry ma'am, that's the policy. We can't let you go."

Ailia jumped and look from left to righ to get a glance of her sister. As the last person in line walk past the X-ray machine, she saw Sunna standing face down, crying heavily.

"SUNNA! IT'S OKAY. DON'T CRY! I'LL BE BA--" Ailia yelled, but stopped dead when she saw the person walking towards Sunna. His hand on her shoulder. It was Jack Johnson, the drug dealer.

Ailia eyes widened to finally realize what her sister has done. Sunna got the money from Jack for a deal, not by working. Ailia mind went blank and when she saw the e hugged her sister closer, she lost control of herself.

"GET AWAY FROM MY SISTER, BASTARD! I'M GOING TO ING KILL YOU!!" Ailia yelled, not caring if she's causing a scene or not.

"She asked for it! Don't take it out on me. We had a deal here. I gotta say, you sister is starting to sell her body now, like how your mom is." Jack scoffed.

"YOU SON OF A ! LET ME GO! LET ME KILL THIS " Ailia screamed. The officer is holding her back, telling her to stop her actions otherwise she will be arrested. Ailia can see tears rushing out of Sunna's eyes and her face covering with fear.

"Sorry. Deal or no deal. Your sister took the deal." Jack laughed and dragged Sunna away.

"SUNNA GET AWAY FROM HIM! GET BACK HERE MOTHERER! I'M GOING TO ING KILLYOU!! SUNNA!! SUNNA!!" Ailia screamed but there was nothing to do. They've left already.

The announcement came on. "Flight 131 to Korea at 11:00 a.m. is about to take off in 15 minutes. Please get to gate AZ-034 to get seated. Thank you for choosing Korea airline."

Ailia sat there and bawled her eyes out. It was not until the five minute warning that got her to stood up again. She was escorted by the officer that witnessed the scene with her to the gate. Ailia took her luggages and took one last look behind her, one last look at where Sunna was dragged away from. 

Ailia went onto the plane. Thinking nonstop about Sunna and what she just saw. Thinking about all the possibilities that could go wrong leaving Sunna behind. But it was too late. The plane ascend into the sky. "She's strong. She will fight through it. She will know what to do" Ailia thought to herself but was not convinced fully to the positives.