2.

The Benevolent Killer

 

"I was right. The police are stupid," Taeyeon sneered. The Chosen One took a sip of water and gave a lopsided smirk. 

 

"Of course," he replied, "And not to mention, I make an excellent criminal." 

 

An excellent criminal. 

 

Wait what? An excellent criminal? 

 

But… But… I thought I had been selected to uphold justice, why have I been downgraded into a criminal? 

 

The Chosen One looked down at his hands. They were pale and cold as usual, but he couldn't help but to feel a little revolted at his own hands, after all, they had indeed been tainted with other people's blood.

 

 An unsettling feeling in his stomach made him feel queasy. Yes, I'm doing these for justice's sake, but… But why does it feel so wrong? 

 

He smacked his forehead vigorously, trying to push away the negative, questioning thoughts he had, but failed miserably. His conscience was tearing his heart apart and he found himself unable to breathe due to the acute ache. 

 

By killing others, he had turned into a criminal himself. 

 

"You know, if I were you, I wouldn't think that much." The voice rang in his head. "Don't you know? It's never good to over think. However, I know exactly how to make this mission more fun." 

 

The Chosen One stopped dead in his actions and listened attentively. Oh, how he loved the thrill of challenges. 

 

"Send a letter of challenge to the police and kill your next victim in front of their eyes." 

 

A mocking scoff appeared on his face. 

 

The heck with conscience. 

 

Slowly, yet gradually, he felt the burning ache in his heart diminishing. 

 

Lub dub. Lub dub. 

 

Then, numbness enveloped his whole being. 

 

5 down, 5 more to go. 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Seriously? A challenge letter? F***!" The police head yelled as he ripped the plain white envelop apart. Kris stood beside him, eyebrows knitted into a frown. In the past week, 2 more innocent lives were taken and the whole nation had been in a state pandemonium. Now what? A challenge letter? The killer was indeed bonkers in the mind. 

 

Peering curiously at the letter, Kris had to squint to make out the message hidden beneath the untidy scrawls. 

 

"25 December 2013. XXXX alley. 2347. Deathbed of my last victim." 

 

The head police gripped the letter so tightly that his knuckles turned white. Kris bit his lip in exasperation. 

 

25 December. 2347. It was their last chance to arrest the criminal. 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"Please, please don't kill me, I won't even report you to the police! Please spare me, I have a family to feed!" The man pleaded, horror and dismay shining in his eyes. 

 

The Chosen One let out a snigger, sending chills down his victim's spine. 

 

"If I spare you, you'll go running off kidnapping your boss' daughter, then kill her after you have obtained the ransom to clear away any trace of evidence, right?" 

 

The man's eyes almost bulged out of their sockets as his mouth dropped open, gaping like a goldfish. How did he know of his evil intentions? 

 

"See? I can't spare you. If I do, someone else will have to die." 

 

With a last chuckle, The Chosen One pulled the trigger of the pistol. 

 

Bang. 

 

The sound of the gunshot resonated through his heart.