Dinner

Read Between the Lines

I don't know how good this is but I tried. I hope I didn't let anybody down. I kind of lost my inspiration, but I tried my hardest.


                    Amber was completely frustrated when hiding in the bathroom and a fake stomach ache didn't work. She really didn't want to mess things up. But Krystal insisted that they go. With great reluctance she left the building with her. Burying her face into her scarf she slid her hands into her pockets, there was no way she could mess this up. She'd just have to be a really good actress. Krystal walked right next to her, practically on top of her really. Amber tried to ignore the distance, or lack there of, between them. Swallowing she went through as much possible conversations that there could be. 

 

                    Once they arrived at the restaurant Amber was surprised to find that the woman at the front seemed to know Krystal on a personal level. The cold faced girl had ordered for them both. While they waited Amber had pulled off her scarf, finding it too hot. Tapping her fingers against the table she shifted her weight, little nervous things like this went on for five minutes before Krystal finally called it out. "Yah, stoopid. Why are you so nervous?" Amber laughed, "Because you kidnapped me genius." Oh, that was actually a good one. Maybe this night wasn't going to be the death of her. Krystal snorted. "You act like this hasn't happened before. Only you were the kidnapper. You've done this to all of us when our schedules were too rough. It was fine then, why not now?" Amber pressed her lips together and played with the metal chopsticks. "I 'unno." Krystal snorted and looked off the to side. She spoke in English now, her tone rather cold.

 

                    "What did I do to make you hate me so much?" Amber was hurt by her tone and words. "Krys, it's not like that. It's really not." Krystal gave her a look of disbelief. "You want me to believe that? Even in the photo shoot you couldn't look me in the eye. It's not just today either. You've been kind of distant since we went to the states. Why on earth do you have to torture me? Huh?!" The tomboy looked down at the table, hurt by how much she'd been hurting Krystal. "It's stupid and complicated, okay? I just... It's easier for everyone this way." Krystal let out a laugh, it was very sarcastic. "What. are you planning on leaving the group? Pulling yourself away from us so it's easier? That's the only explanation I'll accept, and even in that case you'll be in trouble."

 

                    Amber frowned. "Are you done? I have my reasoning. Can't I have a personal problem? Everyone else has their moments, but when it's me suddenly it's important?" This caused Krystal to close . "Krys, you know I care about the group. Whatever I'm doing probably has to do with keeping us together, we're family. Sometimes family members do stupid stuff, but you just have to support them and help them reach the right choice in the end.  Right? So why don't we just pretend this conversation didn't happen? We can eat dinner, have fun conversation and then go home." The last sentence out of wasn't so much an order or a request as something she was practically begging Krystal to do.

 

                    Krystal nodded, she was right. Amber was more than right, but Krystal wanted to be selfish like this. How could Amber not know the effect she has? Being uplifting and cheerful and fun. How was Krystal expected not to get her feelings confused? Exhaling she nodded. "Fine, just this once. But don't you think I'll let you continue to pull away from us. Whatever your issue, talk to Vic unnie. She's good with things and keeps secrets well." Amber nodded once, glad this tension was over. Honestly too much more and she might have just blurted out something and run off. That, she would totally regret.

 

                    The meal ended up going rather well, most of the conversation was small talk but it was okay. When they left the restaurant Amber had a bit of guilt eating at her, but she felt that maybe Krystal was right. That talking to Victoria would help .The walk back to the dorms was a lot less than fun, it was cold both figuratively and literally. Krystal had stopped talking all together once they left the restaurant and wouldn't even look to Amber. This had been a real knife to the chest to Amber, but she could understand. It was a stupid feeling, but if she could just talk to Victoria maybe things would be okay. Victoria could help her get over it, right? She would, wouldn't she? All this doubt was eating at Amber and once they reached the dorms she'd headed straight for her and Luna's room where she took off her coat and climbed under the bed covers. She could change later.

 

                    That night she hadn't slept well, she knew for sure she needed to just resolve this once and for all. She was going to talk to Victoria after breakfast.