Coffee

LONGING

3rd POV

 

The only way to describe the feeling of staring at a ceiling, listening to a misplaced clock on the wall tick and tock in the darkness of morning; was foreign. At least that was the only word Janelle found appropriate to sum up the nervous feeling that had settled in the pit of her stomach, causing her to pass the night roughly only to wake up significantly early.

Her mind refused to enable her rest as it felt the strange shift in scenery, although she traveled within the limitations of the United States, her mind felt the foreign caress of change.

Without consulting dawn she arose from her make shift slumber and slipped on the fluffy white slippers the hotel placed in her room. Tightening the silk scarf that was strategically placed upon her head, reminding one of a Queen from the times when Africans ruled their own land, Janelle rolled her shoulders and set her mind on exploring the hotel, or at least finding a place to reside quitely until her nerves settled themselves. As she  exited her room and made her way towards the elevator she thought vaguely of the building pressure resonating in the back of her mind. Ignoring its formation, she proceeded to push the button that signaled the elavator.

In the haunting darkness of the hallway Monae felt like two forevers had passed before she heard the churning of the elevator, sighing in relief as she heard its approach, Janelle was startled when a pair of eyes greeted her behind the parting of the metal doors.

In truth she was caught off guard, so much so that she didn't realize the dinging sound signaling the doors to close. Before she could react the hands that belonged to the current elevator attendant halted the doors, letting out a soft chuckle.

"Going down Maliit?"

Janelle stood there, taking in the situation in its entirety. She was up at a god-forsaken hour in her night attire, preparing to roam the lifeless hotel without a flashlight or any sense of given direction and in truth she knew she would have gotten lost, and if that wasn't enough the man from the airport was staring at her precariously as he continued halting the metal doors which begged to be shut.

She just couldn't take it and so she let out a laugh that reminded one of bells ringing on a Sunday morning, causing everyone to appreciate its sound. While her laughter was contagious it was short lived as the stranger pulled her into the elevator, hurridely closing its doors.

"You're going to wake up everyone if you keep that up you know?"

He felt a smile crack his lips as he watched her body shake trying to stiffle her joy.

"Sorry. Its just that the whole situation is funny."

Although her sentence was clouded by the giggling in her voice the stranger depicted what she was trying to say easy enough.

As the elevator dinged them into the lobby, the silence that engulfed their previous smiles was that of an understanding stillness. With eyes slightly adverted and mouths cresented upwards they found themselves slowly feeling the rush that was found only in the middle of darkness, when no one is around and yet anticipation was what perked the interest of many in the depth of night.

"The names Shaun. Shaun Evaristo."

The sudden sound of his voice startled Janelle into doing nothing more than nodding her head in surprise.

"This is the part where you introduce yourself."

Smiling to herself she extended her hand.

"Janelle Monae.Pleased to meet you."

Their blunt exchange continued as Shaun lead Janelle into the lobby of the hotel that was beautifully decorated with luxurious pieces of furniture and decorative vases as well as lamps and other trivial details that enabled the lobby to feel nothing less than wealthy.

Gesturing for her to have a seat Shaun proceeded with their conversation.

"So I'm guessing this is your first time in Korea right?"

"Yeah, I'm here helping out a friend. You?"

"Hm. Well this definitely isn't my first time here and I guess my reason plays along the same lines as yours."

With that he gave a small smile  before he continued conversing with her about nothing in particular. Their relaxed conversation was filled with giggling laughter and memories of being struggling college students.

"Has your major helped you with current career?"

Janelle paused as she thought of how to answer his question.

"For the most part, yes."

Before she could return his question his phone buzzed, signaling that he received a text message. While he checked over his phone Janelle made the decision to steer clear of topics that would invlove their careers for she refused to highlight herself as a singer. Not for the fact that she was timid about stating her profession but for the soul purpose that she was accompanying Bruno on his tour, thus it was his duty to ensure that the public knew of his musical guest when he wanted them to, not for her to speak out and say.

"Sorry about that."

Turning his attention back towards her Shaun gave a slight smile as he encouraged her to continue their late night talk.

"Do you have to leave?" Monae ignored his look of surprise as she took notice of his attire. He wasn't dressed like someone who just awoke from a sleepless slumber, he was fully clothed and looked ready to be mingling amonst the streets of the city known as Seoul.

Catching her eyes as she finished her inspection of him, he grinned as he reasured her that his clothing was the result of getting home late.

Accepting his answer she began to continue their small talk with a question of her own.

"So what floor are you residing on if you don't mind me asking?"

She watched as his smile faltered slightly before answering her question.

"I'm on the 11th floor, why?"

"Oh. I'm on the 9th floor, but the thing is, when we met in the elevator you were going down . So that means you do have somewhere to be correct?"

Reassuring her that he was only leaving for the sole purpose of getting coffee made Janelle ponder his reply until his phone buzzed with the sudden attack of text messages.

The laughter that bubbled from her as she lightly clutched her sides danced off the magnificant tile walls, creating that of an echo that gave music to the eerie hotel lobby.

Standing to leave Janelle reached to shake his hand, thanking him for a lovely evening and early morning. Taking her outstretched hand he shook it while mumuring that he really did get dressed for coffee.

The sulking look on his face proved to be too much for her as she found herself letting go of her joy that eventually inflicted itself upon Shaun as both their voices danced throughtout the darkened lobby.

"I'll see you around Shaun, bye and thank you."

With that she waved goodbye to him as he exited the hotel and headed down the street. Once he was out of sight Janelle turned and found herself stepping into the open door of the elevator, the energy she once had was now gone as she felt her eyelids fluttering; wishing to be closed.

..............................................................................

The smell of coffee always put him in a good mood as its strong aroma seemed to find its way into his senses and liven up his spirit. 

"What took you so long to get here? I sent you like twenty messages."

Shaun chuckled to himself as the voice of his friend inturpted his thoughts.

"I was getting coffee."

He didn't have to turn around to see the look of confusion on TaeYang's face as he knew what everybody else in Seoul did.

"But they're aren't any coffee shops opened this early Shaun."

The only response TaeYang got was a slight nod of agreement from him. Shaking his head TaeYang just summed it up as Shaun's weird personality.

"Well since you have your coffee now lets finish the dance routine we started, I came up this move I wanted to test out."

Giving his okay, Shaun finished the last of his delicious drink and followed after TaeYang. His thoughts brieftly wondered back to Janelle Monae as he felt a smile creep on his face.

"This is going to be one interesting visit to Korea."

 

 

 

 

.............................................................................................................

Just to show you that I am for the most part back.

Me life has been rather shaky lately so ive been m.i.a

However there is no excuse!

Just be reassured that things will start to take off within the next two chapters I believe.

I'm am seriously so very sorry for this short update and this long hiatus. Miahne!!

MIAHNEEEEEE!

AIERU

>.<