Chapter One

What is Love

Chapter One

Sehun walked into the lobby of his company and stopped short. "What the is all this?" He asked in shock, gaping at all the pink streamers and hearts that covered the place. 

Chanyeol, his executive producer and close friend, snorted, "It's Valentine's Day, Sehun," he explained patiently. 

Sehun scowled at two people who had their arms around each other on his way to the elevators, "Yah! Quit that! Get back to work!" The two jumped apart and scurried away, not wanting to be under the wrath of the boss. Chanyeol gave them an apologetic glance. Sehun turned his attention back to Chanyeol, pressing the button for the elevator. "What's Valentine's Day?" He asked crossly. 

Chanyeol gave his great booming laugh but stopped when he realized that Sehun was dead serious. "You really don't know what Valentine's Day is, boss?" He asked, completely shocked and crestfallen. 

Sehun shot him a glare as he walked into the elevator, "Do I look like I'm ing kidding?" 

Chanyeol rolled his eyes and explained carefully "Basically, Valentine's Day is a holiday for love. It's a day to show your loved ones how much you care about and love them. Some people go all out. Others do a small, but significant thing. Few do nothing at all."

Sehun scoffed. "That's the stupidest thing I have ever heard. A holiday for love? Who created this ?"

Chanyeol sighed wearily and shook his head. "I give up on you, Sehun. Now speaking of Valentine's Day, can I leave early tonight?"

Sehun processed this. "Why?" He asked finally. 

"So I can go meet Baekhyun," Chanyeol said patiently. 

"Who's Baekhyun?"

Chanyeol stared at him, flabbergasted, "Are you being serious?"

"Yes," snapped Sehun impatiently. "Tell me why this Baekhyun is so important that you need to leave work early."

"Sehun, Baekhyun is my boyfriend," Chanyeol said quietly.

Sehun quirked an eyebrow, “Boyfriend?”

Chanyeol looked back at him with an unreadable expression, “Yeah, boyfriend,” he said quietly, “As in someone who I love very much and therefore will be leaving work early to spend Valentine’s Day with him,” he added.

Sehun gave him a weird look, “You’re willing to leave work early for this Baekhyun?”

Chanyeol sighed, “Just drop it, Sehun, you wouldn’t understand anyway.” With saying that, he stepped out of the elevator and walked toward his office. Sehun stared after him, what the heck did he mean by that? He thought angrily. Sighing, he made for his own office.

And was greeted with the sight of his vice president and best friend as well as OH Entertainment's dance instructor mashing his lips together with his wide-eyed secretary.

What the hell?” Sehun uttered. The pair sprang apart.

Kai’s wide-eyed secretary flushed and bowed, “I’m so sorry Mr. Oh!” he squeaked, before scurrying out of the room.

“What were you doing?” Sehun gazed at Kai with a mix of disgust and shock.

Kai straightened his tie and grinned crookedly at Sehun. “Kissing, Sehun,” he pronounced in a cocky voice, “You put your lips together with the lips of someone else. It’s fun, you should try it.”

“I know what kissing is,” snapped Sehun, “I was wondering what you were doing kissing in my office when you have work to do!”

Kai rolled his eyes, “Not everyone’s a workaholic like you Sehun.” He muttered. Sehun shot him a glare before placing his briefcase on his desk. Kai sighed. “Oh come on Sehun, cut some slack. It’s Valentine’s Day after all.”

Sehun groaned, “What’s so important about pink and hearts?” He asked, starting up his computer. He had a presentation to review.

Kai made some sort of a choked noise, “You’ve got to be kidding me, right?” He asked, perching himself on Sehun’s walnut desk, and helping himself to some of the chocolate that Sehun kept in a jar. Being Sehun’s best friend and the vice president of OH Entertainment gets its perks. Then Kai realized it was Sehun. “Right, you’re not kidding,” Kai sighed. “I should’ve known, you’re Sehun after all.” Sehun shot him what the hell do you mean look.

“Please get your off my desk,” Sehun said tonelessly, “I have work to do, Kai, and so do you.”

Kai rolled his eyes heavenward, “God, Sehun, you really need to get laid,” he said, before grabbing two big pieces of chocolate and ran off before Sehun could cuss at him. “Oh wait! You don’t know how!” He yelled as he closed his door. Kai laughed when he heard Sehun’s indignant sputters. He shook his head, whistling as he walked down the hall to his office. Geez Sehun.

Sehun stared at his office door. Kai is such an idiot, he sighed, shaking his head before returning back to his presentation.


It was around eight in the evening when Sehun finally finished his work for the day. He leaned back in his chair with a satisfied sigh. OH Entertainment's stock shares were quickly on the rise and investors were tripping over each other to invest in his company. Sehun wore a proud smile. Tomorrow, he had a meeting with the representatives of Lu Productions to discuss their recent investment and possible company merge. Sehun yawned and grabbed his briefcase. It was a complete shock when he was faced with silence and darkness the minute he opened his office door. There was no one working. There was no one there. What the…? His face automatically pulled into its customary scowl. And then he remembered. Valentine’s Day. He was beginning to hate the stupid holiday. Who has a holiday for love? He snorted, his nose scrunched up in distaste. And then his hip caught the corner of a desk. Biting his lip to refrain from letting out a howl of pain, he rubbed his hip, muttering curses underneath his breath.

“Boss…?” A soft voice sounded. Sehun looked up from his cussing to see Joonmyun, the kind-faced Human Resources director.

Sehun forced a grin, “Hey Joonmyun, what are you still doing here?” He glanced at him suspiciously. “Shouldn’t you be enjoying Valentine’s Day?” There was an unnecessary hard edge to his voice. Sehun didn’t know why he was so bitter.

Joonmyun’s eyes widened, “Oh…uh…My loved one isn’t here. I was just about to leave actually,” He said, a shy grin bursting from his lips when he mentioned “loved one.”

Love. Sehun was beginning to hate that word. It was because of that stupid word that there was a stupid holiday. And because of that stupid holiday, everyone had abandoned their work, leaving early. Now Sehun remembered why there was a bite to his voice.

Sehun scowled, “Oh alright,” he said dismissively.

 He his heel, choosing to ignore the soft “Have a good evening, boss,” from Joonmyun.

He drove home, feeling angry and he didn’t even know why.


Beijing, China

"You can’t be serious, Luhan!” Yixing gaped at his best friend. His crazy best friend, apparently. Who had decided to give him complete control overseeing the new group that they were debuting. Yup. Crazy was definitely high up on Yixing’s list to describe Luhan.

“I’m completely serious, Yixing,” laughed Luhan as he settled back into his chair, folding his hands behind his head. “I expect great things from you and our new group.”

“But Luhan, the entertainment industry will be thrown in an uproar,” Yixing said desperately. “It's always been you. I'm just the guy in the background.”

Luhan shrugged, the picture of ease, “So?”

“So? So?! How will the public react?” Yixing argued.

Luhan sighed, “You’re going to be fine, Yixing. I know you've been wanting to put out that album you wrote, and this is going to be the perfect opportunity to get yourself out there as a producer and composer. Once we sign that deal with OH Entertainment, everything’s going to be so easy. We'll be the biggest partnership in the entertainment industry across Asia. No one will care about who's in control of the new group,” he grinned.

Yixing gave in with a sigh. The idea of being known as a producer was appealing. "I'll give it my best," he decided.

“Hey,” Luhan patted his shoulder cheerfully, “That's all I ask. You're going to do great,” he promised. "Quit worrying."

Yixing offered him a tiny smile gratefully and studied Luhan. “Get some rest tonight,” he finally said.

Luhan nodded. “You too, Yixing. I’m just going to review my notes for tomorrow.”

“We have that meeting with OH Entertainment to talk about the deal tomorrow.” Yixing reminded him.

Luhan raised an eyebrow, “Thinking of anyone?” he inquired.

Yixing’s face flushed. “It’s been a while, Luhan, you know that. I miss him.”

Luhan hmmed in response, “Joonmyun didn’t go anywhere, you know.”  He bit his tongue to stop the nasty words popping onto the surface. Because Lu Productions was based in Beijing, it usually meant that Yixing could only see his lover bimonthly at most.

“What is it?” Yixing asked, watching him closely.

Luhan cursed mentally; Yixing had seen through his façade. “Nothing, I didn’t say anything.”

“You thought it,” Yixing said accusingly. He sighed, “Look Luhan, what happens with my relationship is my business. And I know you have like this phobia of love or something, but please, out.”

Luhan forced a grin at him, “Sure thing, Yixing, just focus on the meeting tomorrow rather than Joonmyun, ok?”

Yixing sighed “Alright. Good night Luhan, see you tomorrow. Don't forget, early flight in the morning.”

“See you tomorrow, Yixing,” Luhan said softly. Yixing nodded and closed the door quietly behind him. Luhan got up and stretched.

He poured himself a glass of brandy and wandered over to the window. The lights of Beijing peeked at him and Luhan’s lips quirked up slightly. Though Luhan never admitted it, he actually preferred their Seoul headquarters much more than their Beijing base; because of that, Luhan often found himself coming up with excuses to go to Seoul. There were more than enough times when he actually considered moving their base permanently to Seoul. But since he had to account for the people under him, the move never happened. He sipped his drink thoughtfully as his eyes wandered over his office. He smiled. It was a good choice to let Yixing be in charge, he thought. Then his gaze landed on his desk calendar. The 14th. Of February. Luhan’s lips thinned. Out of all the holidays, Luhan hated Valentine’s Day the most. His lips curled back at the thought of flowers and hearts and the broken promises of love. Love. Luhan scoffed. As far as he was concerned, love was a dangerous and nonexistent thing. His own father had fallen victim to it. His father had been living in the unrealistic dream that everything was beautiful and perfect with his lovely wife by his side. That lovely wife, in turn, had run off with another man, leaving her husband heartbroken.  Luhan’s father had been so depressed that he drowned himself in alcohol, sinking deeper and deeper in its clutches until he finally let Death claim him. Luhan had been ten at the time when he had found his father’s cold, dead body in his office. From then on, he had been handed off to random relatives who just wanted his father’s hard-earned money. Luhan had acquired his father’s company at the age of twenty-one, becoming one of the youngest CEOs in the world.

Luhan sighed and set his glass down. It doesn’t do well to dwell on the past, he told himself. With another sigh, he turned to reviewing his notes for the meeting tomorrow.


Author's Note:

What did you guys think? Comment below! And don't worry, I haven't neglected my other story. I have finals this week, so I wanted to introduce "What is Love" to you guys before I disappear with my textbooks and flashcards for like two weeks (urgh...)

If you're new (HI! WELCOME! ) please feel free to check out my other story (--------> HERE)

Alright guys, off to studying I go!


Subscribe! Comment! Vote! Feedback is always welcome! (^_~)

Thanks guys! ^_^