Chapter Two, of Getting to Know Each Other

We Will Be Victorious

Hayi had never really been close with Hanbin. For one, he was in Class 2A while she was in 2C.

Hanbin was also quite the popular one in school. Not only because of Bbooral Chinggus, but also because of his history of being a child rapper. He'd featured in one of MC Mong's music videos when he was at the height of his fame with the help of 1 Night 2 Days. Hanbin even got to perform with him several times on music shows and got to meet other celebrities such as 2NE1 and G-Dragon, who'd been compared to him at one point.

However, he decided to go to a normal school just like everyone else and eventually settled into a normal lifestyle through his teenage years.

Seungri High had never been known for producing a lot of celebrity alumni ever since the years of its establishment. It's why there was considerable buzz when Hanbin came into the school last year. The buzz picked up when Junhwe came into the school this year but, unlike Hanbin who'd become somewhat of a model student because of his straight A's and perfect attendance, Junhwe became the opposite, either slacking off or sleeping in class and even cutting classes, that nobody expected any more from him after that.

Hanbin was far from being a model student though. With his partner-in-crime, Bobby, they're always off to pull the most memorable pranks on students and teachers alike. But they always never mean to hurt, so their antics are almost always forgivable.

Bobby was in the same class as Hanbin. When they first met, they didn't start in good terms. Bobby was considered as Hanbin's biggest rival at that time. They'd often have rap battles and diss each other over the internet. Now the two are the best of friends and are basically inseparable. Hayi heard rumors though. Rumors of a girl being involved in their supposed rivalry. Hayi suspects no one would ever get to know the whole truth apart from the two main characters in the story.

Hayi arranged the folders dumped on the secretary's desk into a pile. She was student assistant to the school secretary for that afternoon's free period. She'd always loved these moments when she got to work in the office. Maybe it was because of the environment, being surrounded with files and binders and office supplies. The peace and quiet was another perk. She also had access to a computer and the school internet the whole time.

But maybe the best reason of all was, she was always the first one to get to hear any news coming from the principal's office.

Hanbin had been called in by Principal Yang. Hayi tried to get herself as close to being within earshot as possible, while surreptitiously looking like she was busy with office work, moving files around.

"I've been hearing that you will be entering this year's contest again," she heard Principal Yang say, "as six people this time."

"Yes, sir," came Hanbin's answer. "You've heard it right, sir." 

Hayi tried to hold in a laugh. His tone of voice was almost... mocking. There was a sort of inside joke in the whole school because their principal had the same name as the CEO of YG Entertainment himself. Principal Yang always went around saying he was older than YG and thus had the name before he did, as if it was something for him to claim over.

"You're working on choreography for six people," Principal Yang continued, "in three month's time."

"We'll be working hard, sir."

"I'm counting on you to win, Mr. Kim Hanbin. Seungri High is counting on you." 

"We won't let the school down, sir."

"I've always thought you were something special, Hanbin, when you first came into the school," the principal went on. "Although you haven't been using your time here as rightly as I would expect. You may have the perfect grades to show for it. You may have taken Seungri High to second place in that dance competition," he paused for effect, "I'll forgive you for that stunt you pulled yesterday and all the others you've done in the past, Hanbin, only if you win." 

"We will, sir."

"Promise you won't be doing any more tricks this year?"

"I promise, sir."

"Well, if you need any help, anything Seungri High can do to help you prepare for the competition--"

"Actually, sir, we need a place to be able to practice...”

"Ah of course," there was silence for a while. Principal Yang must be thinking. "You know Seungri High is not as privileged as other schools when it comes to facilities so we make use of them to the best that we can. All rooms here are being used for specific purposes. There's not much room left for us to squeeze you in right now. The storage room you cleaned up yesterday should suffice."

"Thank you, sir, for your generosity. That would be more than enough."

"Ms. Lee Hayi." Hayi was surprised at the mention of her name. Principal Yang had called out from inside his office so she immediately turned and entered through the open doorway.

"I'm here, sir," Hayi bowed her head respectfully.

"Hanbin here will be dropping by every afternoon during weekdays to collect the key to the old basement storage room. I will be entrusting you with it."

"Yes, sir."

"About the weekends, sir," Hanbin started.

"Yes, unfortunately, you are not allowed on school grounds during the weekend. That is final. Ms. Hayi, go to the custodian now and ask for the key."

Hayi sneaked a glance at Hanbin who was looking back at her before bowing again. "I will be going now, sir."  

---

Hayi seated herself once again in front of the broken piano but they won't be using it this time. Hanbin and Bobby had brought in stereo speakers from the school's audio-visual room, as per approval from the principal, and the room was now echoing with the electronic beats coming from Hanbin's iPad.

Jinhwan was already decking out some silly dance moves in the middle of the room while Donghyuk tried to imitate him, laughing at the same time. Junhwe watched them with a blank expression, leaning against the wall with his hands in his pockets.

Yunhyeong was the last one to come in, hands on his knees and panting hard as if he had ran all the way here in a hurry. "Sorry. My friends were wondering how I managed to get myself into dancing with you guys. After all that happened, falling victim into one of Hanbin's stunts, and getting punished for it."

"We're putting a lot at stake here by including you in the team," Hanbin told him. "You know that, hyung."

"I know, I know," Yunhyeong answered. "I'll try not to be the black hole of the group."

"I think I'm the black hole of the group," Donghyuk said with a pout. "I made so many mistakes yesterday."

"Junhwe is the black hole of the group." Bobby declared from his position beside the speakers. He looked directly at Junhwe, who was on the opposite side of the room. "He's yet to prove his loyalty to us."

Junhwe just gave him his trademark glare in response.

"Let's not get into a fight before we've even started," Jinhwan calmly said, looking from Junhwe to Bobby.

"Okay, okay," Hanbin called out. "I'm glad we're all finally here together now. This marks the beginning of our practice sessions. I expect no one to be backing out." He looked at each and every one of them (except Hayi) in the eye, lingering a little longer on Junhwe. "I'm thankful that we have at least this much space to practice in, given our circumstances. The only problem is, where will we go during the weekends?" This time he looked at Hayi.

"If you're thinking of sneaking in during the weekends," Hayi said, "well first, we'd need the keys to the gates for that. And the keys to the front entrance. And who knows if the electricity will be up and running at that time." Hayi pursed her lips triumphantly as all six boys mulled over the thought. 

"Who cares about that right now?" Bobby finally spoke up. "We have three days of practice starting today, so we can worry about that when that time comes. Let's work on the actual dance first."

They all looked at each other, seeming to agree with Bobby's statement. 

"Alright, alright, let's get started with the choreography first."

---

"I won't be able to join you guys this weekend." It was the first time Junhwe had spoken up in three days that it took a while for it to register to them that he had actually spoken.

"Why?" Bobby of course was immediately suspicious.

"I just have...” Junhwe seemed to be looking for the word, "stuff going on this weekend."

"What stuff?" Bobby started walking around Junhwe and pointing at him. "This is a test of your loyalty!"

This was also the first time Junhwe turned to Hanbin helplessly.

"You have to tell them at some point, man," Hanbin just shrugged.

"What do you mean?" Bobby was getting excited, with the way he was screaming out his words. "Does this have something to do with that secret of his you told us?"

Junhwe heaved a big sigh and turned away from them, leaning an arm on the wall with his other hand on his waist. He looked down with another sigh then turned back to them. "Okay," his palms were held out in front of them. "You have to keep quiet about this." Everyone was quiet as they watched Junhwe get ready for the big reveal. "I'm a trainee at JYP."

"WHAT?!" There was a chorus of shouts as some of the boys even jumped up in surprise. 

"How can you have been a trainee at JYP all this time?! And nobody knew?!" Donghyuk looked at Junhwe incredulously.

"Everyone calm down, calm down," Hanbin's voice drowned all of theirs. "This is actually an advantage for us."

Jinhwan, who'd been standing the whole time with his eyebrows drawn together and eyes narrowed, slowly nodded. "Because we already have a member that the company have set their eyes on, the chances of us getting into said company is even greater when we win."

"But you said you wanted to get into YG?" Bobby pointed at Hanbin.

Hanbin shrugged then grinned. "If one company is already fighting to have us, what are the chances that the other two won't try to stake their claims?" 

Bobby finally laughed at the realization. "Hanbin, you punk, you are such a genius!"

"But is that really allowed?" Yunhyeong tried to add rationally. "If you're already a trainee, are you allowed to join competitions like this?"

"They encourage it actually. It gives them leverage especially when their trainees get recognition in these types of competitions," Junhwe answered.

"Wow, and here we always thought you never really cared about anything anymore," Bobby clapped a hand on Junhwe's back, earning him another first from Junhwe, a grin. It was heartwarming for Hayi to see him finally relax to them like this.

"So what are you doing this weekend?" Jinhwan asked Junhwe. 

"I've told them about joining the competition," Junhwe replied. "That's why I've been able to come and join you in the afternoons. But they said I'd have to keep up with the training sessions during the day and especially the weekends."

"That's why you're always missing from class huh," Donghyuk smiled at him. "Or either sleeping in class. And neglecting to do your schoolwork."

"Hey, it's not easy making people think you have no ambition in life when all you want to do is to prove them otherwise." When Junhwe was relaxed like this, he was also kind of talkative.

"How did you know about this?" Jinhwan turned to Hanbin.

"Actually, I just kind of put two and two together," Hanbin said. "Just, learning about his dancing past. And the fact that he's always missing in class but doesn't seem to cause any other trouble. Keeping a low profile. I just thought he definitely had to be a trainee."

"I guess you just kinda know huh?" Jinhwan smiled. "Having been a trainee yourself."

"You were a trainee too?" Donghyuk seemed surprised.

"Well he did become famous, didn't he?" Bobby told him.

"Nah," Hanbin was saying. "The company I was in was preparing me for a solo debut when I was in middle school. But it never got to happen. Then my parents had to pull me out of the industry because they got afraid of what my future would become as a rapper."

Hayi could trace just the tiniest hint of regret on Hanbin's face as he just stood there, looking into space, with the other boys staring right back at him.

"But you're not giving up." Junhwe glared at Hanbin. It was more than just a simple statement. It had the biting edge of a challenge being presented, one that seemed like he was waiting for B.I to accept.

"He's not," Bobby agreed, going up to Hanbin and flinging an arm around his neck. "We're not. I told you this guy is going to debut through YG. And we're gonna be the ones that will help him get to it."

"But I hope you don't just think that this is about me," Hanbin held up his hands. "This is all for us. I'm just hoping we're all going to get something good out of this."

"Yeah, I still want to be an actor, you know," Yunhyeong spoke up.

"How does this help you get to be an actor though, hyung?" Bobby asked, shaking his head.

"Haven't you heard of idol actors?"

"But idols sing," Bobby fired back.

"Well, I'm glad I can too," Yunhyeong smirked at him and then suddenly belted out into a song, leaving the rest with their mouths open in surprise. He actually had a pretty decent voice, Hayi thought to herself.

"And you're just full of surprises, aren't you, hyung?" Bobby finally said, all of them laughing and shaking their heads. 

---

"My throat is getting bad these days," Jimin complained as she rubbed and tried to vocalize.

It was Saturday afternoon and they had just finished a session with their vocal coach and were packing up their things to leave. Hayi clipped the new music sheets handed out to them into her binder and carefully slung her cute hello kitty purse over her shoulders since she was carrying her video cam today. 

"But I reeeeeally want ice cream," Jimin continued her whining.

"You are so bad, unnie," Lee Soohyun laughed at her. She was a middle schooler who attended the vocal classes with her older brother, Chanhyuk, who played the guitar. Together they made their own music and called themselves 'Akdong Musician.' Chanhyuk also happened to be in the same class as Hayi.

"I can't go out with you for ice cream, anyway," Hayi told Jimin. "I have to go... somewhere after this."

"Does it have something to do with Hanbin's dance group?" Jimin smiled at her knowingly.

"Oh, I heard about that," Chanhyuk looked up from putting his guitar into its case.

"You joined a dance group, Unnie?" Soohyun asked, looking confusedly from Chanhyuk to Hayi.

"No," Hayi shook her head and arms towards her.

"I heard she's helping out the dance group from our school that was a runner-up in a competition last year, am I right?" Hayi nodded her head. Chanhyuk scratched his head. "But, how are you helping them?"

"Just, doing this and that for them," Hayi said. "I'm not teaching them choreography, if that's what you're thinking though." They all laughed.

"That sounds interesting," Soohyun said brightly. "I'll look forward to seeing them onstage."

"I'm jealous that she gets to be around them," Jimin sighed. "I want to watch them practicing too."

They started walking out of the room and the building where they took their vocal lessons, going towards the nearest bus stop.

"Where are they going to have their practice today, Unnie?" Jimin asked out of the blue.

"Nice try, but I can't tell, sorry," Hayi giggled at Jimin's cute disappointed expression.

They all got onto the bus that stopped in front of them. Usually it was Hayi who got off the bus last, but this time she stood up from her seat by the window beside Jimin after only a couple of stops. "This is my stop for now," she told the others. "Bye, see you next week." They returned her wave as she finally hopped off the bus.

She checked the address on her phone before turning into the corner. It was a long walk but finally she stopped in front of a modest house with a small front yard bounded by a low brick wall. The gate was slightly open when she came up to it so she pushed it farther to get in and walked up the stone path towards the front porch. She looked around the yard, which was covered with grass and decorated with several potted plants. A hose, a bike, a beach ball and a red toy cart lay scattered all over the grass.

Hayi got up to the door and rang the door bell. "Good afternoon, Mrs. Kim. I'm Lee Hayi. I'm in the same year as Hanbin," she said as soon as the door was opened, bowing respectfully.

"Oh hello, Hayi. Come on in," Hanbin's mom smiled at her warmly. 'She's pretty' was Hayi's first thought as she entered the living room. "The boys are in the den upstairs," Mrs. Kim said as she closed the door. "I was about to bring up drinks and snacks for them."

"I'll help you," Hayi offered.

"Oh, don't worry about it. I already asked Hanbin to come help me. You can go upstairs," Mrs. Kim showed her to the stairs, smiling at her before disappearing into the kitchen.

Hayi looked up the stairs and started climbing it, landing in the middle of a small hallway. She heard noises to her right and found the first door open with the rest of the boys inside, sans Junhwe. He had to attend training at JYP like he said yesterday.

"Oh good, you're here," Bobby exclaimed as soon as he saw her. "Did you bring your camcorder?"

"You haven't started yet?" Hayi asked as she pulled out her camera from her bag and handed it to Bobby.

"Nope," Donghyuk answered her, lying on his back on a bean bag chair. "We arrived here around 30 minutes ago?"

"You didn't bring a tripod?" Bobby asked as he fiddled with her camera.

"No, it was kind of hard to take with me to vocal class today."

"You take vocal lessons?" Jinhwan asked from his position beside the home entertainment system, holding a remote. The huge plasma screen was currently displaying an idol group performing on a music show but there were no sounds.

"She told us before that she could sing, hyung," Yunhyeong answered for her. He was stretched out on the sofa, head propped on his arm and looking very much at home.

"Kimchi pancakes for everyone," Hanbin announced as he came into the room bearing a tray. Trailing behind him, holding onto his pant leg, was a little girl around two years old, carrying a stuffed bunny with her. His mom followed carrying a pitcher of iced tea. Hanbin placed the tray on the glass coffee table in the middle of the room, whisking away the little girl into his arms. "Everyone, this is Hanbyul. Say hi, Byul-ah."

The boys crowded around them, smiling, while Mrs. Kim carefully put the pitcher down on the table and watched them. "Hi, Byul-ah," the boys greeted in a chorus, waving at her. Hanbyul just buried her face shyly into Hanbin's shoulder, making them all laugh. Hanbin rocked her as he spun her around, gently patting her on her back. "Are you shy?" He asked her. 

Mrs. Kim took her from him, looking at her as she played with her bunny. "But you've seen Jiwon-oppa and Jinhwan-oppa before," she said, pointing at the boys. Hanbyul blinked her eyes up at them briefly before looking away, putting her index finger into and giggling at her mother, making them all laugh again. "Aigoo," Mrs. Kim hugged her. "Well, I leave you now to yourselves. I'll just be downstairs if you need anything."

They all bowed to her, thanking her while she raised her hand at them and nodded before leaving the room.

"Byul just woke up so she must have been surprised to see you guys," Hanbin said when they all turned back to themselves.

"She's so cute. I didn't know you had a sister," Donghyuk commented while Yunhyeong nodded. "I learn something new about you everyday."

"We learn something new about each other everyday," Hanbin corrected, smiling.

"At least now we don't have to try to keep ourselves quiet," Bobby said as he went back to setting up the video camera near the TV.

"But I'm thankful that your mom is letting us use your house as our practice area," Jinhwan told Hanbin. 

"We can't keep this up for long though," Hanbin said. "We need to find a bigger place to practice as soon as possible."

"We'll cross the bridge when we get there," Bobby said. He held out his arms as he stood up and backed away from the camera. "Okay, let's start the practice."

 
 
 
*Disclaimer: Seungri High is from School 2013. Hanbin's house in this story was made from my own imagination, so not real in case you were wondering. ^^
 
Author's note: I thought long and hard about putting in the "Junhwe being a JYP trainee" tangent, that it's taken me forever to update, but I have a reason for this which you'll find out soon in the next few chapters. It's a plotline that I want to get into and hopefully it works out for all of you guys.^^