Chapter One or the Beginning of it All

We Will Be Victorious

Lee Hayi couldn't believe how in the world she managed to end up in detention with six other boys, but here she was with them, forced to clean up an old storage room in the basement of the school until their parents came to pick them up.

The minute the school principal left the room and closed the door, Goo Junhwe immediately flopped himself on an old dusty severely-vandalized desk and laid his head on his arms as if to sleep. This earned him some scolding from his hyungs but he refused to budge so they just left him alone, muttering to themselves what a pain in the he was.

Kim Donghyuk found an old piano buried underneath a pile of empty cardboard boxes and excitedly seated himself in front of it, playing out a simple broken tune that seem to reverberate in the large musty room.

"You play the piano?" Kim Jinhwan asked him, standing beside the younger boy and leaning a hand on the rough wooden surface of the almost-antique instrument.

"Of course he can," Kim Jiwon, or Bobby as he liked himself to be called, answered instead, as he jumped and pretended to slam dunk on the rim of a basketball stand. He'd already removed his school shirt, stripped down to his white tank top, making Hayi blush a little at the sight of his rather well-built arms. "With a class president like him? Of course he would've had taken piano lessons. Maybe even violin lessons. Cellos. Harps. Stuff like that."

"Nope, I just play the piano," Donghyuk told Jinhwan, smiling good-naturedly, before resuming to play a song with the broken piano.

"Can you play SHINee's Stand By Me?" Jinhwan asked.

"Hyung?!" Kim Hanbin's voice and body emerged, seemingly from the shadows, with a look of terror on his face (actually he had disappeared into a closet earlier, mumbling about going to get a mop). "How can you know that song?!"

"Oh come on, Hanbin, everybody knows that song." Jinhwan's statement was affirmed when the melody began playing out with the help of Donghyuk's practiced hands. "And besides, it's the song I sung when I auditioned for SM."

"For which you didn't pass, thankfully," Hanbin rolled his eyes. "It means you're not meant for that kind of music, obviously."

"Hanbin thinks he's going to get accepted into YG someday," Bobby teased, immobilizing the boy into a headlock and rubbing his knuckles on top of his head in a seemingly endearing way, his characteristic charming eye-smile forming on his face. Hanbin managed to shove him aside, scowling and caressing the sore spot on his head.

"Well, he's already a pretty talented rapper, writing his own lyrics and producing his own music," Jinhwan said, smiling. "He just needs to work a little more on his dancing probably."

"Hey, I did not call for a bully-Hanbin day," Hanbin raised both his hands at them. "And what are you talking about, Jinhwan-hyung, you know I dance much better than Jiwon-hyung." He side-eyed the boy in mention, smirking a little.

Bobby pretended not to hear. "If there's anyone here who's going to be accepted into SM, it'll probably be Yunhyeong-hyung," he announced, pointing to a foreign-looking boy who'd been casually standing to the side, watching them with a smile.

Song Yunhyeong held up his hands like Hanbin and said, "Don't look at me, I just want to be an actor."

"Goo Junhwe can dance," Donghyuk's voice piped up. Everyone turned to the boy who remained unmoving from his position on the desk chair. "I heard that he used to perform Michael Jackson dance moves all the time for events back in middle school," Donghyuk continued. "And that he even got on SBS Star King too because of it."

"Oh yeah, I think I heard about that," Jinhwan nodded his head.

Hanbin and Bobby seemed to regard Junhwe with a new kind of interest, but then Bobby shook his head. "Yeah, but look at him now. Won't even talk to anyone. Coming to school looking like he doesn't give a about anyone or anything."

There was a moment of silence as Junhwe remained as still as a statue. Hayi cleared . "Are you, um, going to compete again on that, uh, interschool dance contest?" She asked in a small voice, trying to break the tension in the air. She was talking about the three, Hanbin, Bobby and Jinhwan-oppa, who called themselves "Bbooral Chinggus" when they joined last year's competition. They unfortunately lost to five boys from Jungsang High School.

The boys looked at her blankly, as if she just appeared out of thin air and hadn't been there the whole time. But this got them looking excited again and she inwardly sighed with relief as she sneaked a glance back at the sleeping boy.

Junhwe had sort of been the reason why they all had been sent to detention as punishment. The trio, Hanbin, Bobby and Jinhwan, were adding the finishing touches to their annual school prank in the hallway closet beside the principal's office during first period. Hanbin was the mastermind for this as usual, with Bobby as his righthand man. Nobody really knows why the usually kind Jinhwan goes along with them on stunts like this, but he did.

Junhwe meanwhile had been trying to sneak away quietly from class, as usual. Unfortunately he stepped into one of Hanbin's y traps a little too prematurely, setting off a chain of spectacular and funny shenanigans that could still be celebrated as the best school prank of the year.

Donghyuk, being the class president, had followed Junhwe to tell him off and became a victim of one stunt.

Yunhyeong had the misfortune of going into the bathroom that was part of Hanbin's elaborate plan.

And she, Lee Hayi, was the icing on the cake. Literally. With the principal as the cake.

In the end, the principal decided to punish everyone "involved" in the prank as a warning to the younger students who would dare to have any inkling of a plan for next year's pranks.

"The prizes this year are even better." Hayi returned from her thoughts to listen to what Jinhwan was saying. "First place might get a chance to get into one of the Big Three. Representatives from YG, SM and JYP will be present to watch the groups performing."

"It's why the stakes are also higher," Hanbin said seriously. "It's not just a simple competition between normal high schools anymore. Even schools that specialize in the arts will be joining."

"No way," Donghyuk responded in awe. "Can you imagine competing with the School of Performing Arts or the Seoul Arts High School? The performances this year will really be daebak."

"Is that really fair?" Yunhyeong put his two cents in.

"I can kind of understand it. Those are schools that idols usually go to, that's why the companies are getting involved," Jinhwan said. "But maybe they are also looking for new talent?"

"That's why we have to win this," Hanbin told them, looking from Jinhwan to Bobby. Bobby gave him a nod of support. "We have to show them that we are the best of the best. So that we can have the companies come begging for us instead of the other way around."

"Whooo!" Donghyuk cheered, clapping. "That's the spirit, Hanbing-hyung! You'll make Yang-seonsaengnim proud, even after getting him creamed like that today."

The others laughed, cheered and clapped along with him. But Hayi could see that Hanbin's attention was now focused on the one boy that was paying them no interest back.

"Hey, Goo Junhwe!" Hanbin shouted, quieting the others down. "I know you've been listening the whole time and not sleeping at all!"

Everyone waited with bated breath at Junhwe. Finally, he rubbed a hand on his hair in annoyance and sat up, not looking at them but to the side, eyebrows meeting together in a pissed off look. Hayi glanced from Junhwe to Hanbin and was surprised to see Hanbin with his lopsided smile.

"You're going to join my team if you don't want me spilling your secret to the whole school." 

The other boys glanced at each other at this revelation.

"Huh? Secret? What secret?" Bobby asked. He was also switching glances from Hanbin to Junhwe.

Jinhwan, meanwhile, was staring at Hanbin intently. "Hey Hanbin. Blackmailing isn't fair."

"Actually, if you knew his secret, you wouldn't think it's blackmailing at all--"

"Alright, alright, I'll join you," Junhwe finally said, standing up and glaring at Hanbin. He always looked like that though, so Hayi couldn't really tell if he was really glaring or not. "But you'll have to include Donghyuk too."

"What? Me?" Donghyuk exclaimed, taken aback, his eyes rounding up with innocence as he looked up at Hanbin who was regarding him in puzzlement.

"He told you he heard that I used to dance?" Junhwe said. "Well, I know for a fact that he also took dance classes apart from his piano and singing lessons."

"Singing lessons?" Everyone's attention was now on Donghyuk. It was Junhwe's turn to smirk. It's spill-your-secrets day today, Hayi said to herself.

"Ah ha ha," Donghyuk was waving his hands in front of them. "Those were a long time ago, back in elementary school. Who knows how I sing and dance now?"

"Hyung, can you sing and dance too?" Bobby turned to Yunhyeong to point at him accusingly.

"I can try," Yunhyeong grinned at him.

"Hey, if we're onto secrets, I can sing too," Hayi shared, raising her hand. "But I can't really dance though."

Hanbin shook his head. "Wait, wait, let me think, let me think." Everyone waited as Hanbin stood there, head bowed, eyes closed and hands to his temples.

"Okay, okay," Hanbin finally said. "I want to see this so-called 'talent' that Junhwe is supposed to have--"

"Hey you're the one who's making me join your team in the first place--"

"And I want to see you, Donghyuk, and you too, Yunhyeong-hyung, dance," Hanbin finished, pointing from Donghyuk to Yunhyeong.

"Ah, I haven't danced in a long time so don't make fun of me," Donghyuk said, standing up shyly.

"I haven't danced ever," Yunhyeong said in turn, "So feel free to make fun of me whatsoever."

"Yunhyeong-hyung, I didn't know you were this funny," Bobby was laughing so hard. "I always thought you were this stuck up princely flower boy."

"Alright, alright, let's clear out some of the stuff here so we can have some space to dance." Did Hayi mention that Hanbin can be so bossy?

Within the next hour, most of the stuff have been pushed to the back of the room, with the floor sweeped and mopped and polished that the boys can basically roll around on it. Who would have thought that they would be completing their detention so dutifully?

Hayi watched from her position by the piano, she'd been assigned as the music player for the day, as the boys turned the rest of detention time into a dance session.

Junhwe turned out to be really good in dancing. He was almost the best among them. Hayi could see Hanbin getting a little green-eyed with envy. But Hayi thought Junhwe's moves came off a little to strong while Jinhwan moved lightly but smoothly.

Jinhwan taught them the choreography they did last year. Yunhyeong caught on pretty easily, which was a surprise, but Hayi could still get the sense that he was completely new at dancing when placed together with the other boys.

Donghyuk can still dance after all and followed the choreography well, but he made the most mistakes when all six of them danced together. When it was just Hanbin, Bobby and Jinhwan dancing together, Hayi could see how much the three cared for each other and knew each other very well that they moved as one.

Maybe with time and practice, all six could be as one too.

The door suddenly opened, stopping the boys in mid-practice, with Hayi hurriedly standing up and moving away from the piano. Their principal, Mr. Yang Hyunseok, entered, looking around the room with a solemn face. Then he turned to them, "Your parents are waiting, you may go."

---

"Unnie, unnie, I heard you got detention yesterday," Park Jimin grabbed Hayi's hand with both of hers, her lower lip jutting out in a cute pout to her. "But did you know that Hanbin added three more boys into his dance group? You must've known because you were there with them."

The news sure spread fast. Maybe because all six of them were hanging out together now, which surprised the whole school. Maybe because of Junhwe who never really cared much about school stuff before. And the fact that he was kind of known for his dancing before. 

Of course, class president Donghyuk and who-was-this-Yunhyeong being added into the mix was a mystery to them too.

"I didn't know," Hayi opted to answer. "We just cleaned up a storage room for detention then went home. They must have talked after."

"Hanbin must have heard about Junhwe's dancing past," Baek Yerin, who was Jimin's best friend, said. "I've only ever seen those Star King episodes, but he seemed really good and so confident."

"I saw the clips of him auditioning for JYP," Jimin shared. "He was kind of good but nothing special."

"Oh and you're so good?" Yerin teased.

"But Donghyuk and Yunhyeong-oppa?" Jimin prodded. "Who would've expected? We haven't seen them dancing before."

"I've kind of seen Donghyuk before," Yerin said in a small voice, putting her index fingers together. "I was in the same dancing class as him back in primary school."

"Oh, so he must be good too."

Yerin just shrugged in reply. "Who knows how he is now? We were just kids back then and honestly, he wasn't all that good."

"You're so mean, Yerin," Jimin laughed with her. "I'm going to tell him what you thought of him during class. He must've thought the same back then."

Hayi glanced over at the six boys eating together in the middle of the cafeteria. A lot of other students were looking over at them. Junhwe was his usual surly self, quietly picking over his food. Bobby was eating like he had six stomachs. Jinhwan was telling them something, making Yunhyeong spill something from his mouth and Hanbin and Donghyuk laugh out loud.

Hayi couldn't help but smile to herself, then immediately realized what she was doing and composed herself.

"The competition is during the summer," Jimin was saying. "That's three months away from now." She held up three fingers thoughtfully. "That seems like a short time. Can the six of them really prepare something amazing within that time?"

"I believe in Hanbin-oppa," Yerin smiled dreamily.

"Aish, you," Jimin gave her a playful shove. "But really, I heard the group from Kirin Art School were really good. And they're an arts school that JYP have donated a lot to."

"Don't forget the boys from Jungsang High."

"Winner, they called themselves? Ah, what do they have when all the arts schools come in?"

"But they did win last year. Bbooral Chinggus have to defeat them first before thinking about the newer, better competition."

"They aren't Bbooral Chinggus now with Donghyuk, Junhwe and that oppa in the group, are they?"

Actually, they're Team B now, Hayi wanted to tell them. Hanbin thought of the name. Junhwe snorted as soon as he heard it. "Team B.I, you mean."

"Hey, be respectful or you're going to be doing squats over there by the wall," Hanbin warned him. B.I was the name Hanbin used when writing his raps and posting them over the internet. "Well it can stand for that, since I'm going to be your leader anyway. But it could also stand for Bobby. Or Bbooral Chinggus. But honestly, it was supposed to mean the best team."

The rest nodded their approval. And that was the story of how Team B came to be.

---

"You have to come with us during practice." Hanbin came up to her desk that afternoon, earning her some looks and whispers from the other girls in class.

"What?" She asked him in surprise. "Why do I have to?"

"Well, Junhwe is still as hostile as ever and I don't know if I or Jinhwan-hyung or even Yunhyeong-hyung will be able to stop Bobby from hitting him, if that ever happens," Hanbin reasoned out. "Which I know will never happen if there's a girl around. Well, you specifically, because you've already been there with us."

"That's your reason?" Hayi asked. Hanbin was squatting in front of her now, hands holding onto the edge of her desk.

"Yes and here, look, I'm begging you," Hanbin got on his knees and lowered his head onto the floor into a bow. "Please come."

Hayi looked around the room nervously, at the shocked looks of her classmates. "Okayyy, you can get up now."

He perched on her desk again, gave her a smile and said, "Thank you." He then got up and left the room.

Hayi lowered her head into her arms in embarassment. Ugh, what a pain. Her punishment wasn't over yet. Noo, she was still in detention. Was she dreaming? She instinctively pinched herself on her arm. Ouch that hurt.

 

*Disclaimer: Jungsang High School is the name of the school in Shut Up Flower Boy Band, and Kirin Art School in Dream High