Chapter Six: Stories Over the Campfire

We Will Be Victorious

They finally got to the bridge that went across the creek. Hanbin stopped in the middle, perching himself on top of the railing, spreading his arms wide with his face turned upwards and eyes closed. "Ahhh~" he sighed contentedly.

"That was a picture perfect moment there," Yunhyeong joked, forming a rectangle with his thumbs and index fingers.

"Oh right!" Bobby exclaimed. "We forgot to take pictures!"

"Let's take pictures before we leave tomorrow morning," Jinhwan smiled.

"This was really nice," Donghyuk commented. "Thanks to your parents, really," he indicated towards Hanbin.

"Let's do this again some other time," Hanbin told them. "Maybe after we win the dance competition." He smiled his adorable crooked smile.

"With Junhwe this time," Jinhwan said.

"Oh yeah Junhwe," Bobby clung to the railing as he leaned back, his feet on the edge of the bridge. "That guy needs a break from training."

"I wonder if they get trainee outings or bonding times, stuff like that," Yunhyeong said.

"I'm sure they do," Jinhwan said. "They're formed into groups and have to live with each other right?"

"I can't imagine him being in the same group as that BamBam guy," Bobby said. "They don't look like they were that close at all."

Hayi couldn't imagine Junhwe being in any other group. She was so used to seeing him practice every weekday afternoon with these five boys. If he was really training to be in a group with BamBam, she realized that he would be competing against his actual 'teammates.'

"I don't know what Junhwe could be thinking about these days, having to practice with us one moment then training with his other group the next. Who knows that could be doing to their group dynamics," Hanbin commented, clearly thinking the same thing as Hayi. "I just hope he doesn't let us down in the end no matter what," he shrugged.

“I know he won’t,” Jinhwan looked at each one of them. “Come on, let’s go back to the campsite before it gets dark.”

The sky had turned into a beautiful orange hue as the sun slowly dipped into the trees that lined the whole camping area opposite the creek and the mountain cliff.

When they arrived to where their tents were located, Mr. Kim asked the boys to help him gather wood to set up a campfire while Mrs. Kim asked Hayi to help her with preparing the seaweed soup to be cooked over the fire.

Dinner consisted of pork and beef barbecue that night, along with the seaweed soup and the leftover kimchi. The boys enjoyed taking turns grilling the meat with Hanbin’s father, joking and laughing with him at the same time, while Hayi watched over Byul as her mom cooked the soup.

After dinner, Mr. and Mrs. Kim took the opportunity to go on a nighttime stroll around camp with Byul while the boys plus Hayi huddled around the campfire in a semi-circle. Jinhwan was on one end with Hayi to his right. Beside her was Hanbin then Donghyuk then Yunhyeong with Bobby on the other end.

It wasn’t particularly cold during that spring night in the month of May, but watching the fire gave them a sense of comfort as the crescent moon above gave them a sliver of light against the dark sky dotted with stars and the trees behind them cast shadows over their tents.

The creek remained peacefully calm and the eerie sounds of nighttime prowlers mixed with the familiar noise of fellow campers all around them. 

It was Donghyuk who suggested that they tell each other scary stories to see who got scared the most.

“Huh,” Bobby scoffed. “How scary can the stories be?”

Hayi actually enjoyed sharing scary stories with her friends. It was one of their favorite pastimes back in middle school and it was always Hayi who made her friends scare the most with her stories. She looked forward to see how the boys would react to the scary stories.

“You know how I'm the president of our class right?" Everyone nodded at Donghyuk. "And you know how as the class president, I have to be the last to leave the room before the everyone goes to PE class, or the lab, or the music room, stuff like that, right? To make sure the room is in order, or that nothing or no one is left behind...” Donghyuk continued. “But whenever I take that one last sweeping look at the room before I switch off the lights and finally close the door, I can’t help but feel like there is still someone there… Even though the room is empty…”

A cold shiver ran up Hayi’s legs and arms as the mental image of what Donghyuk had just described was conjured up in her mind. Or could it just be the cold breeze blowing in, causing the flames from the burning wood to sway and her companions to huddle their knees up closer to their bodies, rubbing up and down their arms to warm themselves?

“I know what you mean,” Yunhyeong said after the brief moment of silence. “After our practice every afternoon, I would then go back to our classroom to finish some schoolwork or finish up on studying before heading home. When I finally turn in for the day, it’s usually already around eleven p.m. And when I walk out of the class, most of the lights in the school have already been closed down and I have to walk through the dark corridor to get to the stairs."

"Ah, that's one of the worst," Donghyuk cringed, trying to cover up his ears from what Yunhyeong was about to say next.

"You just get that feeling, like somebody is looking at you as you pass by, or just waiting for you down the hall…”

A collective shiver seem to run through the group, which this time Hayi knew was definitely not from the cold. Hayi also noticed Bobby scooting a little closer towards Yunhyeong, a nonchalant expression on his face. She tried her best to stifle the grin that was forcing its way up her lips.

"I feel that way too every night we finish practicing. You know how we’re practing at the basement of the school, and at an old storage room at that,” Donghyuk added.

“Well, I’m glad we haven’t experienced anything so far,” Hanbin commented, looking at the others.

“We’re too focused on our dancing to notice,” Jinhwan smiled.

“Do you think Junhwe gets scared at this kind of stuff?” Bobby joked, chuckling to himself. Only halfheartedly, Hayi noted.

“That kid just has to glare back at the ghost and the ghost would be the one to get scared of him,” Yunhyeong answered, everyone else laughing along.

“Eyyy,” Bobby shook his head. “Who wants to bet?”

“I’m with Yunhyeong,” Jinhwan called out, pointing to said person.

“Me too,” Donghyuk said, raising his hand.

“Hanbin and Bobby stared at each other for a moment before Hanbin finally spoke. “Me too.”

“Fine, more money for me then,” Bobby nodded, hands pointing towards himself. “Let’s scare the out of that kid on Monday.”

They all laugh.

“Hayi, you’ve been quiet the whole time,” Jinhwan said all of a sudden.

Everyone turned to her so she was forced to say something. "I actually really like scary stories,” She told them.

“Really??” Donghyuk exclaimed.

“Yes, my friends and I would always tell each other a lot of scary stories just for fun. I’m originally from Bucheon. It’s just a small city so rumors tend to go around. Our middle school is one of the really old ones. Some of its buildings were built around the Japanese imperialist era. There are a lot of stories of kwishin roaming around the school.”

“Did you actually see one?” Donghyuk seemed to be the only one really fascinated with the idea of school ghost stories. Jinhwan and Yunhyeong just regarded her with calm interest, smiles etched on their faces. Bobby and Hanbin, meanwhile, either had their head down or were fidgeting with fallen leaves and twigs on the ground.

“Well, there’s actually..” she started softly.

Donghyuk leaned forward, straining to hear what she had to say.

"The most popular story is that of a kwishin that is said to lurk around the third floor of our, well my then, school building, where the corridor ends near the science labs. It's said that the land near that area used to be a cemetery."

Everything seemed to become even more quiet as Hayi went on.

"Our classroom had been on that very same floor, just two doors down from the labs. The entrance to the labs is usually closed down with iron gates. It was a common rumor that the place used to be a prison holding cell, hence the gates. Some also say that the labs were built so the Japanese could do their weirdest and creepiest experiments there."

"The Japanese really did have those weird experiments back in those days," Donghyuk commented.

"That scene, with the metal bars with the chains around the handles and a huge lock, of course gave way to stories of a girl in bloodied uniform standing behind the gates and holding onto the bars, her face covered with her hair. They say that she was one of the victims of those experiment, that she was locked in there and left to die."

Donghyuk involuntarily shivered. "I don't ever want to see that image ever."

If Bobby could sit on Yunhyeong's lap, he would have already done so with how close he'd gotten to the older boy. Yunhyeong didn't pay much attention, with his legs crossed, elbows on his knees and chin propped on his hands, listening intently. Bobby's left leg was pressed apain against Yunhyeong's right, Bobby's right leg propped up and right arm on his knee. His left elbow was digging almost close to Yunhyeong's groin,

Just then, Hayi happened to see Hanbin's mom and dad with Byul coming back from their walk just a short distance away. She looked around the boys to check if they too had noticed, but it seemed only Jinhwan and Hanbin did as the others were still engrossed with her story. She cleared and continued.

"I don't know how it started, but my classmates would also say that they would often hear a child's laughter somewhere in that place. I don't know why, it sounds so random."

The others must have caught on by now because there were hints of smiles on their faces, all except Bobby who was busy trying to look nonchalant about this and focusing on his nails. Byul and Mrs. Kim were literally a few steps behind Bobby now.

"They also say that whenever the gates are opened and they have to pass through to get to the labs, they always feel a faint touch on their shoulders, as if someone is calling their attention. But when they look around, no one is there..."

Hayi watched as Mrs. Kim brought her daughter's arm up behind an oblivious Bobby. Byul's hands briefly touched Bobby's right shoulder, making the boy literally jump up from his position.

“OH MY GOD THAT SCARED ME!”

Everybody broke down laughing.

Bobby looked down at Byul with hands on his chest while the little girl stared back up at him, going back and forth to her mom in confusion. Mrs. Kim was laughing and apologizing at the same time.

“That was the best!” Donghyuk held a thumb up while he wiped away the tears in his eye.

“That was really great timing, Mrs. Kim,” Jinhwan complimented Hanbin’s mom.

“Ah really,” Yunhyeong added through his chuckles.

“That was great, Hayi,” Hanbin told her amidst the laughter.

Bobby stared at them in bewilderment.

“Bobby absolutely hates scary stories,” Jinhwan stated, as if owing them an explanation. “Among us three, he hates it the most.”

“YOU GUYS WERE IN ON THIS??”

“And he was trying to act all cool and stuff,” Hanbin pointed at his best friend, laughing hysterically.

“I caught on to what Hayi was planning when I saw Mrs. Kim creep up behind Bobby,” Donghyuk said.

Mr. and Mrs. Kim joined in on the laughter.

“You kids were listening so intently to Hayi’s story that you didn’t notice us at first. Then I remembered, didn’t Jiwon hate hearing the ghost stories when Hanbin and Jinhwan started talking about it before?” Mrs. Kim shared to them.

So Jinhwan and Hanbin already knew that Bobby was afraid of ghosts. Still Hayi felt triumphant at being able to successfully reveal this little tidbit about Bobby.

"Okay, kids, time to get ready for bed so we can put out the fire now and not cause a forest fire," Mrs. Kim told them, clapping her hands together.

"Mom," Hanbin whined but he obliged and stood up. He really didn't have a choice. He may be the group's leader but, with his family, he was still his mom's son.

Everybody else got up and started laying out the sleeping bags in the tent. Hayi got changed into more comfortable clothes for sleeping inside the tent she was sharing with Mrs. Kim and Byul. After that, the fire was put out and tents zipped up.

Hayi laid on her side on the edge of the tent, Byul already sleeping snuggly between her and Mrs. Kim. She gazed up at the small open flap on the side of the tent, revealing a sliver of the night sky outside along with leaves and branches flapping against the breeze.

She smiled a contented smile as she thought about counting the stars to help her fall asleep...

She woke up the next morning to the sound of birds chirping, water splashing and distant laughter pleasantly ringing into her ears like chimes tinkling against each other. A cold breeze wafted in through the open outer flap of the tent, gently caressing her cheeks, and she breathed in with her eyes closed, smiling at the wonderful feeling it gave her.

The sun was not yet visible when she finally got out of the tent. The dawn brought a nice bluish hue to the surroundings. Mrs. Kim was busy frying eggs on a pan, the fire burning again on the wood they had left the night before. Mr. Kim was also busy preparing for their breakfast. The boys were out on the creek, playing with Byul.

"Good morning, Mrs. Kim. Good morning, Mr. Kim," she greeted as walked up to sit beside Hanbin's mom.

"Good morning, Hayi. Did you have a good sleep?" Mrs. Kim asked her.

"Yes."

"Go join the boys and wash up while we finish up here."

"Yes."

She trudged towards the edge of the creek, smiling as she watched Bobby pick up Byul and place her on his shoulders.

"Oh, Hayi-noona is here," Donghyuk pointed out.

Jinhwan immediately splashed her with water.

"Hey! I only need to wash my face!" She yelled, shielding her eyes with her arms.

"You have plenty of time to get those clothes dried up later," Jinhwan reasoned as he continued to rain her down.

She let out a very girly squeal and laughed.

They went back to their campsite, all soaking wet and still grinning, to have their breakfast. After that, it was finally time to pack up though and they spent the last moments taking pictures, recording their memories.

"Thank you very much for bringing us camping, Mr. and Mrs. Kim," Jinhwan said when they had finally gone back to the Kims' family van, readying the camping gear to loaded back onto the back.

The other boys also joined in on the thanks. "I feel really grateful but also kind of sorry that you had to go through all this trouble for us," Yunhyeong said.

"Oh, it's no trouble at all," Mr. Kim said. "You can definitely join us again next time."

"Come to Jeju next time," Jinhwan said with a smile.

"I hope we also finally get to see that Junhwe boy that you talked about," Mrs. Kim said.

"We'll try," Hanbin told her. "I don't know, but it might be hard."

They finally drove off from the Gwangju camping site, Hayi looking back at the mountain cliff as it slowly disappeared into the horizon and got replaced with trees, open fields, and eventually houses and buildings. She was the first to be dropped off in front of her apartment building and she bowed and waved as she watched the car drive away into the distance.

She smiled to herself and turned to go inside.

---

She rode the bus to her vocal coach's office building that Sunday afternoon after the camping trip. Since she missed yesterday's scheduled lesson, her teacher allowed her to make up for it today.

The building was low-rise with a rather serious looking grey brick facade but it was set near the outskirts of uptown Seoul and were surrounded with modest but upscale shops, cafes and restaurants. Her vocal coach held classes just on the second floor of the building so she always took the stairs.

The door to the room was glass but blurred out so one can only see outlines from the inside. Hayi rang the doorbell beside it that also shows her face to the people inside. "Come in, Hayi-sshi." Her vocal coach's voice crackled through the intercom.

She opened the door and was surprised to see Goo Junhwe sitting in front of her vocal coach's piano.