---/ 3 /

Azalea

The sweetest tune became my brother’s low growl and congratulatory taunt. I wish that reaction could have come because of my actions rather than my sister’s announcement.

After our brief conversation that morning, he insisted to go meet her together. With a severe desire to escape school for another day, I gladly accepted and didn’t know what I had gotten myself into until the actual family reunion. An unusual all-knowing smirk didn’t leave Yuna’s face as she almost exploded into giggles while speaking. It was obvious she was either enjoying herself too much or the news was of such positive importance that she couldn’t help not loosen a little.  We stood there, mortified in our seats, with my ice tea and his cappuccino losing their aroma. Leaving restless, my mind painted her white dress dancing beautifully in front of the Church building.

I was happy that she finally got proposed.

I was less thrilled that I would have to become family with the one that erased any chances with him. I hate it when there are so many acquaintances that there’s no connected dot without intersecting another.  Since I cannot peel my face off and become a smooth head with no distinguishing features, I would have to smile every time we’d meet, politely answer any question and then move on with whatever I had planned.

The ice tea from the coffee shop gave me an idea. I hadn’t had some at home in a while. Funnily, I couldn’t exactly call the ‘garage’ home. It was just a temporary solution until I’d take courage and plead for my father’s forgiveness. I had been a rude son in his eyes, one that did not deserve the comfort of a secure place. At least my of a brother proved he’s better than our father when he let me stay there.

But it still didn’t feel like home. It was still cluttered and the fridge was empty. I hadn’t eaten much these days due to depression. The TV my brother used to let run 24/7h was unplugged because I had no interest in the news, stock markets, in shows with absurd gags or short movies rolling in high rates. Heck, absolutely nothing attracted me. Everything was dull in view, monotone in construction and repulsive in demonstration.

I’m pretty sure I had described the way my violin sounded every time I tried to play it.

The biggest recital of my life was closing by and I couldn’t pick the instrument and unleash its power. Love was still there, somewhere carved in its wooden frame, yet I lacked the energy and will for it to flow through my veins. So, from the way I cooked a light lunch, the way I once more lazed around the living room without lifting a finger to clean it and the way I found the ceiling endearing, I knew there was absolutely no chance I’d return to the chamber of passion called music.

Again, was there really nobody to trade hearts with? A beating one would do, a bloody one too; a cut one from the agony of carrying all the deep scars that couldn’t heal, I shall accept that one sooner than anybody else. Because there’s nothing more horrible than to have something broken fixed in my chest without the desired functionality. No nail was strong enough to pin it back in its exact position.

My thumb pressed the phone’s middle button. The screen lit in a second, alerting me. I had to call the stranger.

One ring, two rings – they normally kept me calm but not then. I lost control immediately. When had I become so fearful? At least the conversation went smooth.

I learnt his name is Daniel.

Da-ni-el.

He learnt my name is Henry.

Hen-ry.

I don’t know what possessed me the instant I let out a muffled chuckle. And after I hung up and thought about our grand face-to-face interaction the following day, I grabbed onto my head and cried.

I want my old life back, my old self – not the one reflected on the dusty TV screen.

 

---

 

Another morning, another headache. It was becoming a habit I wasn’t pleased with. Clothes everywhere... I had to move them in my room. Books everywhere... I had to hide those too.

A car engine... voices arguing... other noises.

I had to rush and finish at least half of the cleaning. I couldn’t risk my reputation from day one.

A knock... a second knock...

, , it all!

I hurried to the door and almost tripped over my shoes.

A loud bang...

Heavily breathing and somewhat excited, I opened wide the door and beamed at the stranger.

We locked gazes and I couldn’t believe it.

A doe-eyed, dirty blonde guy with full lips tilted his head slightly to my left and grazed his majestic features with a smile. My fingers clutched at the door. It was the kid from the hospital, the one I left the apple juice box with. And it might be the sunshine outside, but there was something mesmerizing about him.

Though, there was only one line that bugged me... What are the odds?