Chapter 2

Gone

 

     Since then Chanyeol would visit her in her room during his free time; right after his daily check-up, which is incredibly the same time Hyoseon would be left by her brother. 

     

     "What's this?" Chanyeol took the book-like object from her bedside table. He has been noticing a lot of things he haven’t seen before. He held it up, and realized his stupidity when he remembered his question. "Aish." 


     "Kinchana." Hyoseon mumbled and chuckled. Chanel’s at it again, staring at her. 
 

     "Chanyeol-ah, can you please give me the book?" 
 

     "Book?" 
 

     "Yes. The one with the gritty texture." Chanyeol looked at what he's holding and found out it was actually a book. 
 

     "So this is a book..." he muttered, flipping the pages. 
 

     "I can’t understand this." 
 

     Hyoseon laughed a bit as she searched for the book with her hands. She assumed Chanyeol was beside her when she heard his voice; she reached for something, and she didn’t notice she held on Chanyeol's arm. 

     

     Chanyeol got surprised at the sudden contact. He gently reached the book to her. 

 

     Her hands were cold. 
 

     "What story is that?" 
 

     "Thumbelina." 
 

      Chanyeol observed as Hyoseon started to touch the book, and he got astonished with the kind of ability she has. 
 

     Chanyeol felt the awkward atmosphere slowly hovering, and he felt the urge to say something. "Do you have any other story?" 
 

     "None." 
 

     "So you’ve been reading that book for the past days?" 
 

     "Kind of." Hyoseon smiled but for Chanyeol it was pretty boring. 
 

     "Wait for me." he said and walked out of the room. He took one of his books he owned, the thick books he had been trying to finish. 
 

     "Chanyeol?" Hyoseon called when she heard footsteps coming. 
 

     "Hyoseon-ah~" it was her parents. 
 

     "How are you, Hyoseon-ah? Aigoo. You're cold. Are you having a fever?" 
 

     "I'm fine, eomma." She said and smiled. 
 

     Her mother touched her face and planted a kiss on her forehead. "I missed you so much. Have you eaten your meals already?..." 
 

     Chanyeol heard the voice on the other room. He smiled as he puts down the book. Somehow he felt happy for her, that she has still her parents. Also, he felt a little bit of envy. How he wished his mother's also there, never getting tired of cheering him up. Now he felt lonely. He wished his unusual sickness would just attack again so he would feel like dying for the nth time. 


*** 


     "What happened to Aladdin?" 
 

     "He was cursed to death." He said mightily. Actually Aladdin never did die; Chanyeol loves to make story endings because he's too lazy to finish them and find out what had really happened in the end. 
 

     "That's horrible." 
 

     Chanyeol nodded and controlled his laugh. He was amused at how she believed in him. 
 

     "Why are you laughing? Doesn't the story make you sad?" 
 

     "Nah~ I've read it a lot of times already." 
 

     "You're cool." 
 

     "Me?" 
 

     "Who would be besides you? There's just two of us here." she sarcastically said, accompanied with a soft laugh. Chanyeol stared at her and was charmed again. 
 

     "You're funny." 
 

     "Only when I'm with my brother." She replied. 
 

     "Your brother must be amazing." 
 

     "Oh yes he is, he's the nicest brother ever." She humbly said, but it was actually blabberish. 
 

     He smiled at how cute she was. Since their conversation is becoming boring, he thought of another thing to do. 
 

     "Hyoseon-ah." he said as he held her wrist. "I've got to let you see.. I mean find out something." He said and slowly dragged her towards the corner of the room. Hyoseon happily agreed, since he's a friend, she believes he won’t do harm. 
 

     Hyoseon touched the wall in front of her, gently feeling its cold texture. 
 

     "Stay there, arasseo?" 
 

     "Yes." she replied as a smile appeared on her face. She stood there, feeling a bit of excitement. 
 

     Chanyeol ran outside and into his room. He silently senses where Hyoseon was standing on the other side, but he slightly lost contact. 
 

     "Hyoseon-ah?" 
 

     "Chanyeol-ah." He heard her. He smiled and neared on the part where he heard her voice the loudest. 
 

     He gently knocked on the wall thrice, "Hyoseon-ah." 
 

     "Chanyeol." she replied from the other side, "Where are you?" 
 

     "I'm here." He said as he nears his ear on the wall, "I'm in my room." 
 

     There was silence on the other room. His smiled faded, "Hyoseon-ah?" 
 

     "Won’t you come back here?" 
 

     Unexpected question. It gave him stomach butterflies. Yes it was easy to assume though. But maybe she was just scared. Maybe she was just plainly asking; but whatever it is, he felt something strange during that time. 

     

      He went back to her room and accompanied her back to her bed, even if it really wasn’t necessary. As weird as it seems, he likes to hold her. 

 

*** 


     "Chanyeol-ah." 
 

     He grunted while still feeling the urge to sleep. He loves to sleep; that's his favorite part of the day. Who doesn’t like it anyways? 
 

     "Chanyeol. It's late already. My brother had gone to his classes.. Do you want to share another story for me?" 
 

     He seemed irritated as he opened his eyes, wincing at the light that shone across his window to his face. He got up and cursed as he found out it's still 7:30in the morning. Then he realized who was calling him. Though it's still isn’t time to go out, he sneaked his door open and proceeded to Hyoseon's room. When he found her near the wall, he gently covered her eyes, and she panicked as she was feeling whose hands were those. Chanyeol was stupid to think of doing that even if he knew her aren’t functioning at all. 


     "Good morning." he spoke, his hands still covering her eyes. 
 

     Hyoseon gave up on tapping his hands and awkwardly greeted him back, still her arms slightly spreading apart from her body, feeling for some objects that she might get hold of. 
 

     Chanyeol held his hands away from her eyes and went to face her, "Good morning, Hyoseon-ah!" he beamed at her, like it's as if she could see his dorky smile. 
 

     Hyoseon imagined his face with resemblance to what she thinks of her brother. Technically, she only knew few boys in her life. 
 

     "You’re handsome." 
 

     "Uh?" Chanyeol was flabbergastered, he waived his hands in front of her, but she wasn’t reacting. 
 

     "Chanyeol?" she asked, surprised, her smile was gone. 
 

     "How can you tell I’m handsome?" 
 

     "I can feel it." she smiled again, relieved that he’s still there. 
 

     Chanyeol thought, and accepting it as a 'real' description of him, he thanked her. 
 

     "Do you have another story?" 
 

     Chanyeol forgot to bring his book, but he decided to tell her another story which he made himself. The title of the story was 'Gone', a story about best friends who doesn’t know each other's deepest secrets. The girl was secretly in love with the boy, yet the boy was secretly dying because of his sickness. 
 

     "So what happened to Dara?" this was Hyoseon's nth question, she was just interested with the story that even if it had ended already she still kept on asking. 

     

     "She continued her life and just forgets her Jiyoung who died for her." Chanyeol explained, a bit sad for his selfmade story. Actually, the story was based on how he felt, it quite reflects his sad life. 


      "Your stories are always sad." Hyoseon commented while both of them went back to the cot. 
 

     "Yes. I love sad stories." He said, though a bit of his heart was aching, because sadness had always been a part of his life. 
 

     The door opened and a nurse arrived, pushing a cart with piles of trays of foods being piled up. 
 

     "Oh~ Chanyeol-sshi. Why are you here?" The nurse seemed amused when she saw him. 
 

     "Annyeong, Nurse Chamois!" He bowed and smiled. "You seem so fine again. Uh, I just hope your sickness wont attack you today." 
 

      "Uh..." dry laugh, "Deh." 
 

     Hyoseon got a bit surprised when she heard it, but didn’t bother to ask, she knew it wasn’t the right time and it's not her right either. 
 

     It was actually the first time she had felt the curiosity about Chanyeol's sickness. 
 

     "Your breakfast will be delivered in a split second!" The friendly nurse announced to them. Chanyeol bit his lip when an idea came in his mind. 
 

     "Nurse Chamois. Uhm.. Uh.. Can I.. Can I.. eat with her here?" He said, almost a whisper. The nurse gave him a small smirk, getting a hint of what he is up to. Nurse Chamois was his nurse several months ago and was transferred to another ward, and she knew Chanyeol is harmless, and his disease isn’t contagious. She agreed to his request, since she knew Chanyeol had been the friendliest patient in this hospital. She gave him two trays of meal and decided to give her task to Chanyeol on that day when he insisted. 

 

     As they were eating, Chanyeol couldn’t stop from glancing at Hyoseon every minute, to check if she had eaten well. As for Hyoseon, she seemed fine, and continued to eat well. In the midst of silence, Hyoseon suddenly dropped her spoon. She was flabbergastered, she couldn’t chew what's in as she slowly puts the tray aside to stoop down in dismay. She was sure Chanyeol was looking at her. In disgust. When Chanyeol saw this, he immediately stopped her from her aim and volunteered to get the spoon. 
 

     "It's already dirty." He declared. 
 

     Hyoseon frowned. She haven’t done eating, she had only eaten one fourth of her meal. Whereas for Chanyeol, he was almost done. 
 

     He chewed the last beef and after setting his tray aside, he took her spoon, washed it on the faucet and took her bowl of rice to get a spoonful of it, "Say ah." 
 

     Hyoseon hesitated to open . She was ashamed of her clumsiness. Baekhyun wont baby her like this either. "Chanyeol-sshi, let me---" 
 

     "What if you'll drop the spoon again?" He asked, as if he was the nurse. A smirk appeared on his lips, "Now say ah~" 
 

     She was left with no choice. 
 

     She slowly chewed, every crunch of the food hurting her small pride. As for Chanyeol, he felt the joy of feeding her. 

*** 

   

     For days they have been together, few hours a day. However, only a few know this, and Hyoseon's family wasn’t included. Well, they will know if they will see, and there's no harm in that. 
 

     They’re just friends. 
 

     Hyoseon's first friend besides her family. 
 

     "What happened to the beast then?" 


     "The townspeople chased him until he reached the end of the broken bridge and he fell and then.. poof! He died." 
 

     "That's horrible." Hyoseon commented on his story, his own version of Beauty and the Beast. 
 

     "Yeah." Chanyeol laughed a bit. This is the fifth story he told her throughout the days they had been together. 
 

     "It's sad, as usual. Chanyeol-sshi, don’t you have stories that has happy endings?" 
 

     Now the conversation was a bit serious for her, but for Chanyeol, he just wanted to giggle in front of her for actually believing those stories. "I don’t believe in them." He plainly said, used to be asked with that question. 

 

    "What? Happy endings?" 
 

     He nodded and suddenly felt the sadness. When he remembered she couldn’t see, he mouthed, "Yes." 
 

     "And why is that?" 
 

     In an instant, a lot of memories entered his mind. Why? There are a lot of reasons. He doesn’t want to tell it to her, that those were bittersweet memories; those were shameful moments. His life’s useless. He’s useless. 

 

     Hyoseon deliberately waited for his response, not knowing it gave him quite impact. 
 

    He couldn't tell what he’d been; what happened to him before, what he had experienced, what he is suffering with, what he really wanted; every single reason. He’s afraid she would judge him; he’s ashamed. He knew Hyoseon might do that. Though he’s sure she isn’t that kind of girl, but still it might happen and he doesn’t want that. 


     It would be rude if he’d tell her that it's none of her business. 
 

     "Because I'm, coz I'm dangerous. Aaaaah~ I'm a BADMAN (with matching sound effects)." He chanted, softer than the normal beat of the song. 
 

    Hyoseon laughed at his reply, she had known the song because of Baekhyun. 
 

     "You look a lot like my brother." 
 

    "You mean we behave in the same way." 
 

    Both laughed. 
 

    Chanyeol had stopped, but Hyoseon haven’t. 
 

    She was happy. 
 

     Chanyeol could see it through her smile, a genuine one. 
 

    For the past years, he haven’t been as attached with someone like he is with Hyoseon. He was always happy when he's with her, though they meet at the same setting, for those ten days, he had developed something special towards her. 

 

     Chanyeol felt his chest tightening all of a sudden. He held onto it, pressing it, trying to ease the pain. He slightly groaned, as he semi-curled, the pain getting worse. 
 

     Hyoseon got alarmed as she slowly turned her body, her arms searching for Chanyeol. She heard his groans. 
 

     "I'll be back, Hyoseon-sshi." She said as he got off from the bed and ran out of the room. 
 

     Chanyeol's sickness had attacked him again.