Chapter 1

Gone

 

[NOTE! Here's the theme song for this fiction. Enjoy! ;)]

 

 

 

     Certain steps could be heard from outside. Hyeseon's heart felt a sudden excitement. She puts down the book which she had read using Braille, as she was listening to the overheard conversation on the living room. The wind blew through her bedroom windows, letting her feel the chill that spring season has produced. Finally, she thought. This was the day she's been waiting for since it was announced by her parents. What will she be feeling as soon as she'll reach the institution they’re talking about? Truth to be told, she’s excited. she had been staying in this house for the past years, seldom going out and breathe the natural air freely. For her, life’s boring. She can’t do everything without sight. She couldn’t make friends, which isn’t a big deal, since she has her brother who loves her very much; but she still wanted to interact with other people. She couldn’t get away from her room without purposes and permission. She was like an amputated being; worse than a person who stays in a jail. But anyhow, her family loves her and does what’s best for her. 


     "Hyoseon-ah?" there was a sudden knock on the door, and she could hear it open. She hid her smile and waited for her brother to draw near her. 


     "Hyoseon-ah, you're excited right?" Baekhyun sat beside her and smiled. Hyoseon showed the curve on her lips again and muttered 'Yes'. She's been telling them she's excited. She's excited to see the world. 


     "Come with me, the doctors want to see you." 



*** 

    

     Chanyeol felt excited after the medication. His unusual sickness attack happened again. Every time this would happen, he just wanted to die immediately. He just doesn’t want to suffer anymore. His mother will be informed about this, and he'll feel worse. He would just be scolded and he hates it. 
 

     Sweats were dripping from the sides of his forehead, dextrose is again connected to his right hand. He's breathing heavily, lying on the hospital bed like an exhausted runner who threw himself on a field. He knew, he'd be like that for the next two days. 
 

     Abruptly, amidst the silence, he heard people talking on the other side of the room, besides his heavy breathing. His body still felt the numbness he should feel after the antibiotic was injected on him, and all he could do was just listen to the conversation, and it's clear enough for him to hear the words, "she'll be staying here for two weeks for final examination." 
 

     Out of all statements, that was the most audible, and he felt the unexpected thing called curiosity. Wow. He'll meet another sick friend. He calls every person sick if they'll be staying in the hospital like him. The last time, he remembered, his friend who stayed on that room died with Leukaemia months ago. Does that mean that next patient suffers the same sickness? 


*** 


     Hyoseon still found the new place strange. From its smell, its ambiance, her new bed, the air-condition sound, they all make her feel uneasy. The doctors, as well as her family, oriented her already. For the sake of a pair of eyes, she didn’t complain. She liked to be alone somehow, but having her brother's presence would be better. For the past eighteen years, she wasn’t used at being accompanied always. She's more of an independent girl despite her disability. She still has her other senses though and she's wise enough to make use of them. 
 

     "Just press this button if you need help." Baekhyun gently placed Hyoseon's hand on top of a button beside the bed. She mouthed yes as she was familiarizing the object. "I'll be going to my class now. I'll be back this 5pm okay?" 
 

     "What time is it already?" 


     "3pm." 
 

     "Arasseo." 

 

     Baekhyun pecked her forehead and left. Hyoseon bid him goodbye, and when the place silenced, she smiled. She maintained her posture. Since it's now her third day in the hospital, she still couldn’t contain herself from thinking random things. Is her mother pretty? What about her father and brother? Are they good-looking? Does it resemble their voices? If yes, then she thought of herself to be ugly. She has an ugly voice. But her brother has an angelic voice. Does that mean he looks like an angel? 
 

 

     Chanyeol woke up from his nap. He felt his body already. Now he's fine, after the medication. When he got up, there's no one in the room except him. Did the nurses checked him up already? He glanced at the clock, 3:00pm. Yay! The daily observation is 2:30pn. He grinned and wiggled his finger like a toddler. 

     

     Then he felt lonely all of a sudden. 
 

     He missed his mother who hasn’t visited him for a week now. "Maybe she's just real busy." He muttered to himself and shrugged. This is his way to feel himself relieved. 
 

     Then he remembered the patients who arrived two days ago. He glanced at the wall, and tries to find some voices within the silent place. He heard nothing. Is she asleep? He thought. He stood up and decided to go to the other room and check the new patient out. Within the two years, he learned to make friends with other patients, and most of them had already gave up on their sick lives. 

 

     He slowly sneaked out of his room. No one's outside. He reached the door of the next room. He placed his head against the little glass of the door. He saw a lady sitting on the bed, her back turned from where he was standing. He has silky wavy hair; Chanyeol described. She was sitting upright, and he was thinking if this is really the lady that was confined in there. 
 

     He slowly turned the knob and opened the door, wandering his eyes around. No one was there besides her. He slowly took steps, and when he almost reached her, she spoke. "Oppa?" 
 

      Chanyeol didn’t move from his position. Hyoseon, as well, didn’t move. 
 

     "Baekhyun oppa, I thought you have gone to school." 
 

     Chanyeol cleared his throat. 
 

     "Hi?" Chanyeol tried to act, slowly walking towards her who was on her still position. 
 

     "Hello." Hyoseon replied, her heart pounding unusually. "Who are you?" she asked politely, her hand slowly reaching for the button. 
 

     Chanyeol saw her hand, and he felt confused on why she wasn’t looking at her. He slightly bent his body in front of her, but it seems she haven’t seen him. 
 

     Chanyeol straightened up and waived his hand in front of her, but she remained passive. When he saw that she was almost pressing the button, which he knew was for emergency, he immediately moved her hand away. "Whoa whoa whoa, I'm not gonna do anything bad." 
 

     "Who are you?" Hyoseon asked again, a bit terrified. 
 

      "I'm Chanyeol." He continued, and he realized he was actually speaking to a blind lady. Like an ignorant being, he gently stood in front of her, observing her. It's actually his first time to meet a blind person. She looked normal for him. 
 

      "Chanyeol. Nice to meet you." Hyoseon was stuttering, but she continued anyways. "Are you my brother's friend?" 
 

      Chanyeol thought about her question. If he'll say no, then there's a possibility she'll press that button with the annoying sound. If he'd say yes, then he's lying. 
 

      "I'm a patient here." 
 

     "Patient? How did you get into my room?" 
 

     Chanyeol smiled as her face expression turned into a confused one. She wasn’t scared; she was curious now. 
 

     "I'm staying in the next room beside yours." He explained. Chanyeol was currently admiring her face. He found it cute as she was listening to him, "Every patient who come and go become my friends." 
 

     "We're neighbors." 
 

     "Uh... yeah, that isn’t the right term but..." he gave up thinking, "Yeah neighbors. So.. can we be friends?" 
 

     Hyoseon smiled at the question. For the first time in her life, someone asked her to be a friend. Hyoseon could feel a sudden joy. She immediately felt glee, even if she had just met this Chanyeol guy now. She could feel he's nice. 
 

     "I'm Hyoseon. Byun Hyoseon." 
 

     "Nice to meet you, Hyoseon-sshi." 
 

 

 

-----

First chapter's up! I'm sorry if I really typed it late. kkk~