Chapter 3

Gone

 

     A day had passed. Hyoseon, who was left alone yesterday, felt the worry for Chanyeol. It slowly kills her when she thinks of the fact that she didn’t exactly know what happened. Now it made her yearn more to have a pair of eyes. 

     

     Slowly she tries to walk and search for the wall where Chanyeol had told her to stay. When she could finally feel and touch the wall, she stood still, and neared herself, her ears placed near the wall. 
 

     She couldn’t hear anything. 
 

     "Chanyeol-ah." She called. 
 

     She waited, but there was no reply. Her worry remained. What happened to him? 
 

     "Chanyeol-sshi." She called again, but still silence reigned. 
  

     Yes. Chanyeol was aware that he was being called by Hyoseon. But then, his body still felt the pain caused by the injected medicine; it had attacked him again. There he is, so alone, still sweating. He couldn’t talk back, because if he’d attempt to say one word, it would just be painful. How much more if he's say a sentence? He would be suffering like there’s no end. 
 

     All he could do is speak in his mind, not able to verbally say it. He’s exhausted, and tired. However, Hyoseon's voice made him feel he’s not alone. Does she care? Yes she does. She may not know what he’s suffering with, but she cares a lot. And she missed him already. 
 

     Hyoseon didn’t stop, she’s almost feeling teary. Various things appeared in her mind. Though she couldn’t determine them, she’s sure it concerns Chanyeol. 


     In the midst of her determination, Baekhyun arrived to her room. He was surprised to see Hyoseon standing on the corner, sensing something on the wall. He called her and accompanied her back to her bed. 
 

     "What did you do there?" he willfully asked as he held Hyoseon, slowly lying on the bed. He held the blanket higher. She remained passive. 
 

     She's worried. 
 

     Baekhyun looked at the wall clock, it's already 9pm. He looked back at his sister, who was unusually sad tonight. 
 

     He brushed her hair away from her face, and looked at her in anguish. "It's already late, Hyoseon-ah. You should sleep now." 
 

     "Goodnight, oppa. I'm sorry." 
 

     "Kinchana." He replied and planted a soft kiss on her forehead. 
 

 

 

     After a few minutes, when Baekhyun was sure Hyoseon's already asleep, he sneaked out of the room to check something. 
 

     The plate says, 'Park Chanyeol'. He glanced at the door. Slowly, he took steps. When he placed his gaze on the glass, he saw a male patient lying on the cot with dextrose connected on his body. 
 

     He remembered Hyoseon calling that name earlier. Why was she calling him? Are they friends? Have they met? 
 

 

*** 
 

     "Good morning, my dear sunshine." Hyoseon heard an unfamiliar voice. 
 

     Was it Chanyeol? 
 

     "Chanyeol-ah?" 
 

     "Chanyeol?" 
 

     "B-Baekhyun oppa." She said again, the excitement in her mind was gone. How she wished it was Chanyeol. 
 

     She already missed him. It has been two days already. 
 

     "What time is it already?" 
 

     "8am." Baekhyun replied, with a slightly bothered expression. He looked intently at her, even though he knew he couldn’t get anything. Is she hiding something? None. 
 

     "Don’t you have classes?" 
 

     "It's Saturday, remember?" He said, she knew his schedules. 
 

     "Saturday?" Hyoseon repeated. Tuesday's two days ahead. Time flew fast. 
 

     "Yes and on Tuesday will be your operation. Are you excited?" Baekhyun felt the excitement himself. 
 

     For Hyoseon, it was all that mattered. A pair of eyes, a very wonderful and would be the best gift she'll receive throughout her life. She smiled, since it's almost D-Day. 
 

     But Chanyeol haven’t visited her. 
 

     "Oppa." 
 

     "Hmm?" 
 

     "Can I ask you.. a favor?" 
 

     "Sure.. what is it?" 
 

     "I want to.." 
 

     "You want to?" 
 

     "I want to feel my friend's presence." she finally uttered, nervous that Baekhyun might disagree. 
 

     "Friend?" 
 

     "Chanyeol." She said plainly. She stood up, carefully, walking towards the wall where she could hear his voice. Baekhyun followed her, careful that she might stumble. 

     

     "He's on the other side." She added. 

 

     So he was definitely right about his guess. That Chanyeol guy was really her friend. 


     He was a bit glad that she had found a friend, but he didn’t expect in a place and situation like this. Though he doesn’t really know why she'd want to, he still proceeded to the other room. 
 

     There was a nurse accompanying Chanyeol on his bed when he arrived there. The nurse saw Baekhyun and gave him a smile, telling him to wait for a while. 
 

     The nurse left, and Chanyeol passively looked at Baekhyun, who was standing at the door. Chanyeol already got a feeling this man is Hyoseon's brother, yet he wasn’t nervous at all. 
 

     "Good morning." He said. 
 

     Chanyeol slightly bowed. 
 

     "Are you.." Baekhyun checked the plate again before adding, "Chanyeol?" 
 

      "Yes." He replied, quite having an idea on what will happen next. 
 

     "Chanyeol... I'm Baekhyun, Hyoseon's brother." 
 

     Chanyeol shyly smiled. Something's up. 
 

     "I'm here to tell you that... my sister wants you to visit her in her room." 
 

     Chanyeol felt happy, at the same time sorry. Happy, because at least, Hyoseon had remembered him. Moreover, she wouldn’t look for him; not unless she had treasured the friendship. Sorry, because he couldn’t be a good friend for her. He is sick. He is a hopeless being. Any time, he might be gone, and he thinks of it now that he felt like the attack in his body felt more painful than ever, and had not recovered yet even if three days had already passed. 
 

     "Could you.. could you grant her request?" Baekhyun asked, careful that it might not sound pleading. 
 

     "I would like to, Mister. But as you can see.." he paused and tried to show a wider yet meaningful smile. 
 

     He's not yet feeling well. 
 

     "I'm sorry." Chanyeol didn’t want to say it but he had no choice. As much as he wanted to see her, he couldn’t do anything to fulfill her request.

 

**

 

     Chanyeol was bedridden. He wasn’t paralyzed; but he felt so lazy to get up. He was lying on the bed, facing the window, showing the wonderful outside world. He felt more insecure with others' lives. He couldn’t get out

 

     He couldn’t get out and appreciate the things. He couldn’t enjoy his life; and he couldn’t live normally. Why is life unfair for him? He’s kind.

 

     The door flung open, but he didn’t mind. He was guessing it was his nurse, so he just waited for her to let him do what should be done.

 

     “Chanyeol.”

 

     He was sure it wasn’t the nurse’s voice. He looked back, and hastily got up when he saw Hyoseon making her way to him, with Baekhyun accompanying her.

 

     “Hyoseon-ah, why are you here? You should’ve stayed—“ he paused when her hands caught his face.

 

     “Chanyeol-sshi.” She said, and Chanyeol glanced at Baekhyun, then he gave him a smile before walking out from the room.

 

     Hyoseon felt tears forming on her eyes. She perceived his shoulders, and she pulled herself towards him for an embrace.

 

     “I missed you.”

 

     Chanyeol’s heartbeat raced. He smiled, caused by the sudden feeling, and hugged her back.

 

     “I’m sorry. If I haven’t come to your room.”

 

     “Hmm.” She replied, this time she smiled. “I finally felt you.” She released herself and touched his arms, quite astonished, “You’re cold.”

 

     “Uh-huh.” Chanyeol dryly laughed at her notice.

 

     “Did you take medicines? Are you fine now? Quite fine?” Hyoseon consequently asked, and it made him laugh a bit.

 

     “I’m fine.” That’s all he could say, when in fact there’s a lot more.

 

     That day was complete, yet sad for both of them.

 

***

 

     Monday.

 

     Chanyeol had been attacked again. This time, he passed out. The sickness had worsenn, and he needed to be operated as soon as possible.

 

     Hyoseon was worried. She had felt his suffering. Her only friend, who was sick. Had suffered in his worst. Her heartbeat raced, not able to keep calm. Tears were falling and her heart would skip a beat every time she hears him groan. The groan was loud; it was painful. If only she was there; even if she were of no great importance, at least she could help a little, for his sake.

 

     Until the day for her operation had come, she was uneasy, she remembered the chaos yesterday on Chanyeol’s room; a lot of voices murmuring, Chanyeol’s unending groans, metals clinging created by the cot being dragged, rushed footsteps. What happened to him?

 

     Baekhyun thought she was crying because of anxiety. He comforted her, trying to stop her tears from falling.

 

     “Hyoseon-ah, you need to be strong. A new life awaitss you, dongsaeng-ah. Be strong to handle the operation.” He said as he planted a kiss on her forehead.

 

     Their parents arrived and also gave her words of encouragement.

 

     When the doctors had finally delivered her in the operating room, the feeling of anxiety came. She felt and heard her heartbeat, as she felt a lot of hands touching her face.

 

     The doctor tried to let her lose the feeling of nervousness. “Hyoseon-ah, who do you want to see first after the operation?”

 

     She was blank; her heart was in , and she was inevitably sweating. She muttered the first name that appeared in her mind.

 

     “Park Chanyeol.”

 

     His voice echoed in her head as she was hallucinating, feeling she had lost her senses and passed out.

 

     Two days later, Hyoseon was moved to another room, on the upper floor of the building, for final examination. She didn’t bother to think of anything, except for the fact that she could see the world soon. The operation had still left a scar on her; the pain was still remembered, but nothing’s more exciting than the time she could finally use the sense of sight.

 

     Good news. Good news everywhere. Her family, including her, was happy for the result. It was successful; there were no complications, no health problems that might hinder her life’s next chapter. As Hyoseon had waited for the next days to come, she couldn’t erase Chanyeol in her mind.

 

     Did he know she was still there in the same hospital, and that she survived? Did he remember her? How has he been?

 

     She hoped he still did. She hoped he’s fine now.

 

     The doctor arrived and after some talks with Hyoseon’s parents, he went to Hyoseon and slowly removed the bandage wrapped on her eyes.

 

     She was excited, as well as the people inside.

 

     “Okay. You may now open your eyes.”

 

     Hyoseon’s heartbeat was audible. It’s beating fast. She slowly opened her eyes, and in an instant, she was surprised. Astonished. Amazed. She couldn’t believe it. She had seen everything strangely.

 

     She wandered her eyes around, checking if she had really seen everything in reality. She touched the pillow beside her. She looked at her hand. Everything’s just surreal.

 

     She glanced back again, the doctor giving her a mirror. She saw her face. She seemed well. She smiled, and she couldn’t explain the happy feeling.

 

     Her brother, Baekhyun, called. She looked at him, and she couldn’t tell another thing besides the word ‘handsome’.

 

     “Oppa.” She said as she stood up, and walked unusually, not spreading her arms and feel the things around her anymore.

 

     “Hyoseon-ah.” Baekhyun called out, and pulled her for a hug. He was happy for her, they are all happy for her.

 

     She embraced them one by one, even the doctor. She was ecstatic that day.

 

     While she felt the happiness within the atmosphere, someone knocked on the door.

 

     “I’m sorry to interrupt you but...” the nurse, who seemed in panic, fixed her gaze at Hyoseon. “Miss Kim Hyoseon.” She forced a smile, but her eyes showed sadness.

 

     Hyoseon tried to recall who she was through her voice, “Nurse Chamois.” She said, and a wide smile appeared on her face.

 

     But the nurse had lost her smile, and sighed to hide what she really felt.

 

     Hyoseon embraced her, and she hastily hugged her back. She was happy for her; but the news she had with her pulled her back from being happy.

 

     Hyoseon remembered something; since the nurse’s already there, “Where’s Chanyeol?”

 

     The nurse paused, controlling the urge of the tears coming out. “That.. That’s why I’m here. I need you to come with me.”

 

      Hyoseon looked at her family, and the doctor, waiting for their approve.

 

     Baekhyun felt something’s up. He was worried, too, for he knew a little about Chanyeol, as he’s sure it’s something concerning his sickness. He nodded. The doctor, though hesitating, also agreed. Also her parents.

 

     They took the stairs down to the third floor, which is just below the floor she was staying.

 

     Nurse Chamois stopped in front of the door. Hyoseon wondered, what’s happening? Just as she was about to ask, she heard a lady sobbing, calling for Chanyeol from inside the room.

 

     The nurse had already silently cried. She, too, felt sad. Hyoseon slowly took steps towards the opened door. She slowly sneaked. She saw the woman, crying severely. When she finally reached the doorstep, she couldn’t believe what she saw.

 

     Is that Chanyeol?

 

     But she couldn’t recognize it. The body was fully covered with a white cloth.

 

     “Chanyeol suffered too much the past days. He gave up, unfortunately.”

 

     Hyoseon was shocked.

 

     In this very day; the day her new life has started, is the same day a close friend had left. Is he dead? Is he gone? She neared the covered body, and as badly as she wanted, she wanted to pull the cloth up, but she failed to do it.

 

     “Chanyeol.” She muttered, the sobs of the woman echoing inside the room. The lady breathed heavily, continued crying as she ran away from the room in grief.

 

     “Chanyeol-sshi.” She called again, but he didn’t answer.

 

     She slowly knelt down, her hand reaching his face. She closed her eyes, gently feeling his face, recalling his features through the first and last time she touched his face.

 

     A tear rolled down from her eyes.

 

     It was indeed Chanyeol. He’s dead.

 

 

---