One: His Young Heart

A Fanboy's Heart

 

People say that you should win on a million-dollar game show, you should become the president of a hegemon country or become the king of the world in order to be considered lucky. All of these things didn't happened to me, but still, I can say that I'm fortunate. I'm fortunate enough to cross path with someone like Seo Ju Hyun one time in my life.

I grew up in Haidian, a district in Beijing that is near to the urban core with my parents and grand-parents. I always go to Zi Zhu Yuan Park when I was young because I love seeing its scenery. I always bring my dad's camera to capture the reflection of the sky on the lake.

"Han? Where are you going, little boy?"
My grandmother asked when she saw me packing my backpack and wearing my red cap.

"I'm going to the park, nainai." I answered while zipping my bag.

"You are just 7, sunzi! You should go with your uncle, I've heard that he'll take your cousins in the park." She held my hand as we made our way to my uncle's house that's two houses from us.

They're already outside so I ran and hugged his leg. "Shushu! Can I come with you? I also want to go to the park." He bent down and ruffled my hair before saying, "Ofcourse you can! Just promise that you'll behave." I nodded and waved my hand to my grandma and walk with uncle and with my two cousins.

Zi Zhu Yuan Park is not far from our house, we reached it after 10 minutes. My cousins excitedly run to see the rivers while uncle put down his bag and put out a big blanket. "For picnik," he said to me when he noticed that I'm staring at him while he is unfolding the blanket.

"I'll help you, shushu." I then put down my backpack on the blanket so that it won't fly. He puts out an umbrella and I helped him settle it. After we fixed everything, he called out for my cousins. They run their way to us and grab some sandwiches that uncle had prepared. I put out dad's camera before grabbing a sandwich. I look at uncle and saw him taking pictures of us. "Shushu, can I go on that side? I just want to take pictures." He nodded but told me not to go far. I wore my cap and run to the other side.

The view is really fantastic! I first got here with my parent when I was still 4, I didn't quiet appreciate the place because as a child I was full of tantrums.

"This is paradise!" Someone shouted from my back and I turned to look at her. She's not from here, not just because she's speaking a foreign language, but because, she's too beautiful to be here. "Ah! I'm sorry." She said shyly after she realized that she's not alone. I knitted my brows together because I can't understand her. She widened her eyes and brings out a booklet entitled 'Learn Chinese The Easy Way.' After scanning several pages, she stopped and read the text. "I'm sorry. I'm from Korea, i'm JuHyun and we are just having a vacation here," she flips the pages again and read what's written again "This is a cool place, it's like a paradise." She closed the book and shyly smiled at me. I also smiled at her.

She's still smiling and I click my camera. She covered her face but it's too late because I already captured her smile. She shyly tucked her hair behind her ears. "Name?" She said the word like testing it inside . I smiled and said, "Lu Han." She smiled, showing her cute small teeth to me. "Luhan? Han! Like Han river. Han river gives me comfort so are you Lu Han river." She giggled and I knit my brows again because I really can't understand her. I just laughed, pretending that I understand.

"I'll keep this." I said and lift my camera up because I know she'll not understand it. I want to keep her smile because I know I won't see it again. She's just a tourist and just visiting and after this she will leave and will never come back. Maybe she'll come back here in China, she maight be out of sight by then.

"Seo Ju Hyun!" Someone shouted and we both looked at the woman catching her breath. She knelt down and ruffled Ju Hyun's hair. "I told you not to go far. I thought I lost you." She heaved a sigh of relief when Ju Hyun hugged her. She stood up and looked at me before giving me a chocolate. "Thank you for being here, little kid. If you're not here, she might have ran far." She said and pinched my cheek. I just smiled because I didn't understand what she has said. She held her daughter's hand and while they are walking, Ju Hyun turned and waved at me. I didn't waved, I just smiled maybe because I don't want to say goodbye.

 

 

That was my last memory of her, of my first crush slash first love. I kept her picture inside the pocket of my toddler shorts, the one that I'm wearing that time. I kept it inside my closet, I hid it really well so that no one can see it. School is starting again and I hate it. I can't play video games and watch some comedy shows because homeworks nedds to date me again. I hate going to school and I also hate staying in the house, I don't understand myself either. I got down and sit next to grandma to eat breakfast.

"You'll graduate soon Han." I gulped the milk all at once when grandma said it. I just smiled and nodded and headed my way out. I don't really like talking about school, the idea of going to school, finishing it then going in a school again depressed me. The word school itself can make me choke myself to death.

I'm studying in Beijing Shida Middle School, it's an ok school, well all the schools for me are ok. I don't like giving out opinions about school because I hate the word itself. It's my last year in this school, I'm relieved but when I think that I need to enter college, it makes me feel nauseous.

"The Lu!" I acted like I want to punch him when I heard his voice but he just laughed. It's my bestfriend, Ken. He always tell everyone that he's half American but nobody believes him. Who would believe him anyway? He's so asian in everyway. "Lu boy! We're clasmmates again and that means I'll pass my math again!" He tapped my shoulder and everyone in the hallway is looking at us now. "Close your noisy mouth. You cause trouble a lot." I said but he just shrugged his shoulders. "They're looking because we are worth the look." I just hissed at him and run towards our classroom.

"Your seat is waiting Lu." Kevin whispered to me and he made his way to some of the guys to talk about girls, he's the type who will talk to anyone who can give him names of good-looking girls.

I always choose to sit near the window because the sky heals me everytime the lessons get tough.

"Han! Thank you for letting me borrow." My classmate Angela said as she hands me back my dvd copy of Secret. "Thanks." I put the dvd inside my bag as she sat next to me. "The movie's really good. It made me cry." I just laugh with her then our teacher came in.

Kevin speed his way at the back of me and whispered, "Angela likes you. Her friend, Fei told me. You are one lucky Lu." I just acted like it's normal but I can't help but look at Angela. "Now, now, you should ask her out." I really want to punch my friend right now. I turn to him and give him a smug face.

The week went by pass and now it's a Saturday, I can play video games or watch some comedy shows but Kevin came here early in the morning and asked my parents if he can take me out because we need to practice soccer, which is not true. But I just let him because I don't know, I just feel like going somewhere. Kevin bought his car and I sit on the passenger's side. While he's driving, we passed by the park and it made me wonder, where is she now? Will she visit again?

"Angela called and she's inviting us to her birthday party today." Kevin said that made me turn to him before saying, "Birth day parties are for babies." We both laughed and I turn the radio to get us some good feel. 

We reached Angela's house and I'm surprised that she invited just her closest closest friends. Well, Angela's quite popular in school that's why she has a lot of friends, and I never thought that I can be one, one of the closest closest to be exact. "But we didn't even bought a gift." I whispered to Kevin but he just shrugged and whispered back, "I have a gift to her and it's you." And then he flashed his way to Angela and her friends. I followed right after and I greeted Angela. "Happy birth day, Angela. I'm sorry I haven't bought a gift." She just smiled and hug me while the others kept on teasing us. "Thank you for coming here." She said when she broke from the hug.

"Let's first take a picture." Angela announces when one of her friend said that she needs to go now. "Han, can you take our picture?" I was shocked when she handed me the camera, I couldn't reject her so I did. She smiled on the camera before then Kevin moved beside me to whisper, it's his hobby. "That smile is for keeps." He said before I clicked the button and capture the photo. "Thank you Han." She said and I just smiled.

I looked a Kevin and I know he's teasing me to Angela. I'm about to come near him but Angela stopped me and asked me again to take her picture, this time she's alone. "1,2,3 say cheese." I said and pressed the button.

I wanted to whisper back to Kevin and tell him that this smile isn't my kind of keeps. The smile for keeps is the smile of Ju Hyun, the girl on the park who made me fall in love with her instantly. If I showed him her picture, I really think he'll also like her. I heaved a long sigh and whispered in my mind, 'Where are you? Please visit China again.' 

Kevin drove me home and stayed to watch a comedy show with me. While we're in the middle of watching, he suddenly stopped from laughing and faced me. "Lu who was that girl again? Your first love?" I smiled when I heard the question from him, that's what I want. I want him to be the one to open the topic about her.

"I'm just curious because you don't look interested in Angela a while ago. I'm thinking maybe you haven't got over your first love." My smile gets wider as I hear him talk, a serious Kevin Li is indeed fascinating. "She's Ju Hyun. No relationship and stuff. Let's just say, she's my love at first sight." He slumped back on his seat and threw a chip on my face. "What the hell? Come on Lu! Just try getting to know Angela. She's not that bad, she's a goddess for pete's sake!" I want to say that I can't because she is not Ju Hyun and her smile is not for keeps, but I don't want to argue with this man anymore that's why I just said "Yep I'll try. I'll hang out with Angela more."

 

 

 

Photograph of Ed Sheeran suits this story so much

Comments are LOVED ♥

ps. I love SeoHan hihi :)