XIX Liar Liar Pants On Fire

The Happy Ending

Dara didn't sleep. She couldn't sleep, not after what just happened that morning. She just lied in her bed all day, thinking about their argument. No matter how much she replayed it, all she got from the argument was that Jiyong trusted her ex instead of her, and that he wanted space.

"Trust him? Over me? Is he even serious?!" She verbally exclaimed that afternoon when she got tired of just replaying their argument, although she knew she was alone in her room. It still hurt her, no matter where Jiyong is coming from. How could he possibly trust him over her?

"Where did he come from anyway? Ugh." She was seriously getting frustrated with this Jiyong-Joseph thing. Talking to Joseph was the best solution she thought about, but she didn't even have any way of contacting him. Plus, she didn't think it was such a good idea either. Knowing Jiyong and his anger, if he found out that they met even if it was to talk about this thing would make him go ballistic.

Thinking about it, she could somehow understand where believing him for a while would come from. It was true that she lied before, and even if it was for his own good, he must've thought that she was really capable of keeping something from him. What she didn't understand was why he was so angry. You'd think he would be angry at Joseph for trying to break their relationship (because that's what this looks like, especially since he lied about him and Dara) but why did he still believe him over her after she said her side? Why was he so angry with her? That's what she really wanted to understand.

Not tonight, though. Clearly, not anytime soon. She needs to give Jiyong time to cool down and honestly, she needs to give time for herself to cool down too. There must be more to this than what they argued about this morning, and whatever that was needs to come from Jiyong himself.

There was a knock on the door which almost made Dara jump. After a few knocks, Minzy emerged from the door.

"Eonni, we have to go to the YG building. Sajangnim called us for a meeting, it's about the comeback and the concerts," the maknae said, cautious that she might have disturbed her eonni.

"Okay. I'll just get ready then I'll meet you in the living room."

And so with a heavy heart and body, Dara changed her clothes, fixed her hair, applied a little make up, and faced the outside world, even though she didn't really feel like it. But, life goes on, and she's got work to do, fans to satisfy. Sometimes, that's what she hates about her job. There are days when she just feels like locking herself in her room and hate the world and all, but she can't because the publicity she gets from her job surrounds her with millions of eyes viewing her daily life. Just a snap of a photo where she looks like she's frowning, or her smile doesn't reach her eyes, gives the biggest scandal. Which really makes her think about how good she and Jiyong have been with keeping this whole relationship a secret.

Then again, there might be no secret to keep anymore, she thought. But she shook that thought away. She loves Jiyong with all her heart, and if there's one thing she's sure of about their argument that morning, she will love him through good days and bad. It might take a while to fix this whole mess since Jiyong seemed to really be carrying a lot of burden he has yet to tell her, but she will never give up on what they have. Especially since she knows Jiyong never gave up on them when she almost did.

And so, she took a deep breath, plastered a fake-but-almost-real smile (one does not simply have a job like hers and not master the fake-but-almost-real smile), and headed to the YG building with the 2NE1 girls.

------------------------------------------

Jiyong woke up to a dark room, his head throbbing. He doesn't know what time it is and he doesn't really care. However, his throat was burning and really needs some water. Forcing himself, he stood up and went to the kitchen. While getting some water, he happened to glance at the clock and read that it was 8 in the evening. He opened the refrigerator and opened a bottle of cold water. At first, the last thing he remembered was arriving in the YG building with his Big Bang members to talk about the plans for their new album and couldn't remember what happened after that. As he took a gulp of the last contents of the bottle, all the events since yesterday evening came back to him: leaving the YG building earlier than the others to quickly get back to Dara and Haru; bumping in to a guy who's apparently been waiting for him to come out and finding out it was Dara's ex-borfriend; having a long, anger-inducing talk about how Dara's been lying to the both of them and her seeing Joseph behind his back; going to the Han river to think angrily about what he had just hear and staying there until the wee hours of the morning; going back to Dara and Haru and getting angry at the sight of Dara, leading him to sleep in the couch; very awkward breakfast with Dara and Haru; the argument after they left the Lee's apartment; Dara telling him to "clear his head" when it's obviously her that needs the clearing of the head; going home and drowning himself with all the stocked alcohol he has.

He looked at the sink and found all the empty bottles he apparently devoured: 10 bottles of soju. He then wondered how he couldn't have threw up with that much of alcohol, but then again he thought he must've really needed the drink. Almost instantly, all his anger towards Dara came back. How could she lie? After everything he's done for her, after everything they've been through... He thought when he got her back, everything would finally be okay. For a while there, he thought everything would finally be perfect. Heck, they even started talking about their future, which was a really big progress considering they almost never got back together (he always knew he'd get her back, though). How could she do this to him?

 

Jiyong excitedly ran out of the YG building. He parked outside this afternoon since he was already running late for their meeting. As he was heading to his car which was parked across the street, a man called him. He turned around to look at the owner of the voice.

"Are you Mr. Kwon Jiyong?" The strange man asked him in english.

"Yes, why?" He asked back. He found it a little strange that this man suddenly came out of nowhere at that hour. He didn't want to be rufe though, especially since the man was obviously not Korean.

"I've been waiting for you to come out, I thought you never would. I was afraid I might miss you." He said. Even in the dark, Jiyong could see how relieved the man was for not missing him.

"Are you a reporter from another country?" He asked. The guy was really starting to creep him out now.

"No, Jiyong. I wish I were, but I'm not. I guess you won't be too happy for the reason why I'm here either." Now he just made it to a whole new level of creepy.

"I don't understand," he responded.

"Can we talk? I think it's better if we go somewhere you can sit down."

"I'm sorry but I really have to be somewhere right now." He was about to turn his back when the strange man surprised him with what he said next.

"Are you going to meet Dara?" He asked.

"Excuse me?" He said, take aback. Nobody except from the YG family and a few close friends knew they were seeing each other. Whoever this guy was clearly knew something.

"So you two are still seeing each other? I thought you must've broken up for good."

"Who are you?" Jiyong asked, his tone getting ten times serious now.

"Let's go somewhere first where-"

"I said, who are you?" He cut him off. All of a sudden he was right in the guys face. They were almost the same height so it wasn't hard to look him straight in the eyes and let him know that he is dead serious now.

"I'm Joseph, Joseph Bitangcol. I'm from the Philippines. I came here to tell you something."

"Joseph?"

"Dara's..."

"That Joseph? What the h3ll are you doing here?" He was starting to get angry now. How did Dara's ex-boyfriend appear out of nowhere all of a sudden? What if it was Dara he would've ran into instead of him? Wait, could he have already met Dara?

"Look, I don't want to fight. If anything, we should be patting each other's backs right now. We've both been lied to."

"What the h3ll are you talking about?"

"I told you, let's go somewhere first. Somewhere you could sit down. This could be a lot to take in."

"No. I don't want to go anywhere with you. You can tell me whatever you want to tell me here."

"Okay, if you say so. Dara's been lying to you. She's been lying to me too. The last time you two broke up, she contacted me. She said she had a hard time finding out how to contact me and she was glad I still stayed in touch with some of our friends in the Philippines. She said she needed someone to talk to and she was really sad that time. Said you two had just broken up again, she thought it was for good that time. I tried to comfort her, tried to be there for her because I though she really needed a friend and someone who wasn't friends with you as well. We talked a lot. I though I've been helping her with that, but she said she needed to see me. I tried to stay away from her because I know she still loved you, but she really insisted I came for her, so I did. I came here 3 months ago. We started seeing each other. I thought you really were broken up and I thought I found the second chance I've always been waiting for, so we met secretly every day since I arrived. She didn't want anyone to know so I couldn't even meet her friends. It was only last weekend when I found out she's been lying to me all this time. I decided to secretly surprise her, but I saw her riding that car. I followed her to see who she was with, and I later found out it was you. It was then that I realized she was still with you this whole time. I don't know how long you two have been back together, but I really didn't know. All this time, I though she really was picking me again. I couldn't have been so wrong." Joseph laughed bitterly at the end.

Jiyong was out of words for a moment. He wouldn't believe what he was hearing. He didn't believe what he was hearing. Dara couldn't do that to him, even if she did want to. No, she wouldn't even want to. This man is insane.

Out of anger, Jiyong's fist landed with a loud thud on Joseph's face. The latter was shocked, holding his cheeck with both hands and staring wide-eyed at Jiyong.

"What the h3ll, man?"

"You think I would actually believe you? How dare you even try to make me believe Dara is capable of doing anything like that? Dara is a sweet girl, and she could never do what you're telling me."

"I knew you wouldn't believe me, so I brought this. Those were the pictures we took the first time I got here, okay? Those were taken at the hotel room I was staying in. Her hair is blonde there, so that's proof it happened just a few months back. Look, I didn't want to do this, okay? But you really needed to know this man. She's been cheating on the both of us. You need to face the truth man."

"How dare you-"

"Whoa!" Joseph caught Jiyong's fist before it landed on his face again. "Look, if you still don't believe me go check for yourself. Last November 16-17, she asked for a short break. She said she needed to go somewhere with her mom, but nobody knew where she went. Her mom was at home that time. That was when I arrived. That was when these photos were taken. You can go check for yourself."

Jiyong started to get weak on the knees then. He swatted away Joseph's hand which was still holding his fist then. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. This man was pretty convincing with what he was saying, and he even have those pictures. He could go check those dates he were saying, but deep down he felt like he wouldn't be saying that if he knew he could just go check if it was true.

"I'm sorry man. I know you really love her, and I do too. Bu, she lied to us," Joseph put his hand on Jiyong's shoulders. Angry, he pushed Joseph's hands away and without another word, he turned around and headed to his car.

Once seated, he started to drive mindlessly. He didn't know where to go, he didn't care. He needed to get away, needed to clear his mind. He needed what he just heard to sink in. He glanced at the photos on the passenger's seat, the photos Joseph had given him earlier. The photos of the two of them in a hotel room.

He can't believe Dara lied to her.

 

He can't believe Dara lied to her! He really didn't see this coming but come to think of it, she really would've been capable of doing that. After all, she had all the motive she needed. Jiyong held a very dark past from her, and this could easily be her way of getting back at him. But Dara's so sweet... She couldn't have done anything like this.

She just did. And what hurts more is she did it behind his back. It would've been easier to accept if she just left him altogether. It would have been easier if she didn't make him believe there could still be a someday for them after all's been revealed. He should've just let her go. He knew he wasn't good enough for her, but her doing this to prove that is the worst. He never believed Dara would be capable of doing this before, but everyone with a past like him would no doubt be able to do something like this. It was too stupid of him to think she could just get her back that easily! He should've just accepted that there really is no future for him and Dara.

The worst part is he still loved her. So much, it hurt him when he snapped at her that morning and the whole duration of their argument. But he also couldn't help his anger. He still love her so much, but he just couldn't let what happened go. And after she denied everything that morning despite him saying Joseph already told him the truth, he got angrier. She's already caught red handed but she still innocently denied it. Does she really think he could fall for her lies?

He almost did. She looked so helpless, so angry that he thought she could do anything like that to him. She felt betrayed. For a moment he questioned why he was believing a man he barely know over her, the girl he loves and has loved forever. He wanted to believe her. But he knows she's lying. She's done it before, she can easily do it again. And he has evidence. As much as he wanted to believe her, she was lying.

Why can't it ever be just a normal love story for them?

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------

a/n: Who do you think is the one telling the truth? Do you think Dara is really cheating on Jiyong with Joseph? Do you think Jiyong was a fool for believing Joseph? Hmmmmm.