It's Not Easy Being Soojung

Family Ties

Dinner at the Jung Household

“Is Sooyeon coming over for dinner?” Mr. Jung asked as they started to eat.

 

“I’m afraid not, she just came back from their tour and I bet she is tired.” His wife sadly informed him.

 

“Sungha, how about that new video you uploaded? Is it doing well?” Mr. Jung referred to his youngest child.

 

“Yes Dad, it was even barely a day before it hit a million! Most of the comments were praises but there were haters of course. But nevertheless, manager hyung informed me that if this continues, there is a chance of another tour next year!” the family’s maknae excitedly showed off to his parents.

 

“Great job, son. I might as well add another customized ‘Taylor’ guitar to your collection.” Then he beamed a proud smile to his only boy.

 

“Assa!”  

 

“How about you Soojung? Anything interesting happened in school?”

 

“I aced two of my tests today.” Soojung nonchalantly replied.

 

“Two? Yesterday you mentioned about having three exams.”

 

“I got B in History.”

 

“Well, you should do better next time. You better step up your game if you want to follow any of your siblings’ footsteps.”

Soojung scoffed at his statement. “I bet if I post a video of me stripping on the internet, it will hit a million in less than three hours.”

 

“JUNG SOOJUNG!”

 

“I lost my appetite. I’ll be up in my room.” She replied not minding how red her father is from rage. She continued walking up to her not forgetting to look back at the dinner table as she reached the top staircase. She saw her mom trying to calm down her father and as she shifted her gaze to her brother, she just gave him a weak smile as she saw the worried look on his face.

 

Soojung or better known as Krystal had a hard time living in between of two perfect siblings. She’s the middle child, and that doesn’t help in the situation at all. Her mom is always protective of her younger brother Sungha. At the age of sixteen, he’s already a global sensation. Ever since he discovered his skills in playing guitar, he started taking and uploading videos on Youtube which became his platform to his status now. He is a self made superstar. Her older sister Sooyeon or famously known as SNSD’s Jessica, trained at SM Entertainment ever since she was nine. She is a member of 9-member girl group So Nyuh Shi Dae or Girls’ Generation. At first their Dad didn’t approve of her doing such an impractical job but when Jessica and her group proved themselves, earned recognitions, won awards and did concerts around Asia, Mr. Jung finally gave in and supported her princess. The problem is Krystal’s parents were to focused on their own favorites that they sometimes forget about her, their other child. She’s not a gifted guitarist nor a member of a super famous girl group, she’s just a regular high school student.

 

Don’t get her wrong, Krystal loves her brother and sister very much, to the point that they are the only ones she considered family. It’s just that she just sometimes gets jealous of the attention they’re getting even though she knows they don’t do it on purpose.

 

KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK!

 

“Can I come in noona?” Sungha’s head popped in her door.

 

“Yes of course. What is it?” she said while patting a vacant space on her bed.

 

“Are you okay?” the worried look on his brother’s face. “You didn’t finish your dinner.”

 

Krystal smiled at his concern. He maybe young but he definitely knows what’s going on. “I’m fine Sungha-yah. I’ll get some food in the kitchen if ever I get hungry.” She ruffled her dongsaeng’s hair.

 

“I’m not only concerned about that noona, .. uhm” he hesitated to continue.

 

“How’s Dad?”

 

“Well, he has calmed down now. Look, I’m sorry for showing off about the video and the tour.” He scratched his head.

 

“Why are you saying sorry? You know I’m proud of you right?”

 

“I know. But still, if I hadn’t talked about it then maybe Dad would have praised you for acing your exams.”

 

“Two of my exams.” She corrected him. “I guess I’m not just good enough for him yet. Don’t worry bro, I’ll make him proud someday. And sorry for spoiling your dinner.”

 

“Not at all. I ate quite well. By the way, have you told Jess-noona about the results of your exams? She was nagging me last night not to make too much noise in practicing so you could concentrate in studying.” The boy pouted remembering how her older noona practically stayed all night on the phone just to make sure he’s not making too much noise.

 

Krystal’s heart warmed hearing how her siblings cared for her. They are the best thing she could ever have. “Come here.” she opened in her arms for a hug. “You know I’m your biggest fan right.”

 

“I know. And I’m yours and Jess-noona’s biggest fan too.”

 

The night ended with Sungha giving her Krys-noona a kiss on the forehead before saying goodnight and heading to his own room.