# 010 Fear: Hoya + Sungjong

∞ INFINITE 100 FIC CHALLENGE ∞

Just exactly how much are you willing to sacrifice for something? Are you willing to give up everything you have for it? Or would you rather play it safe, scared of losing everything you have for something that might not be worth it in the end? These are the kind of choices that we can never avoid making. Why? Because life is a gamble. You have to risk everything you have.

 

Sungjong never in his life would have imagined that he’d be in this kind of situation. But yet, here he was, stuck choosing between his duty and his heart.

“Have you made your decision Sungjong-shii?” Hoya asked

Sungjong shook his head. “There has got to be another way out of this.”

Hoya placed a hand on his shoulder. “You and I both know that there is only one way Sungjong. We need to give them what they want.”

“No!” Sungjong snarled. “I am not allowing you to walk into enemy territory like that.”

Hoya sighed. “I wish we can fight them, but they outnumber us two to one. Going against their orders would mean practical suicide.”

“You are the best fighter I’ve had. I don’t want to have you on their side. And besides, you know too much.” Sungjong smirked.

Hoya clutched his heart in mocked pain. “Ouch, you wound me Sungjong.”

The latter shook his head, mildly amused. “How did I even manage to get involved in this?”

“Easy, you signed up for it.” Sungjong rolled his eyes at the other’s reply.

“I’ll think about a way out of this. In the meantime, I need you to make sure that things around here are going smoothly.” He said, standing up straight, his aura of authority suddenly filling up the room. Hoya nodded then left the tent.

The moment Hoya left, Sungjong immediately made up his mind. Hoya is much stronger, much younger, and more experienced that him. When he’s gone, he is certain that he’ll be leaving the troop in good hands. So with determination, he wrote back to the opposing army.

 

He received a reply sooner that he thought. They have agreed to take him in Hoya’s place. He was to meet with the guards tomorrow at midnight to him to the army’s headquarters where he would be executed immediately. Meanwhile, the opposing army were to pull back their troops and cease the invasion.

 

“Sungjong what is this about?” Hoya snarled as he entered Sungjong’s tent, holding a letter in his hands.

Sungjong looked up in alarm “What’s what?”

“This” Hoya said, half yelling as he threw the piece of paper in Sungjong’s table. “We’re surrendering?”

Heaving a deep breath, Sungjong turned to face Hoya, an air of authority suddenly surrounding him. “No, I am surrendering. You will take my place as general.”

“You can’t do this Sungjong, we are in a war here.” Hoya reasoned out, trying his best not to start pulling out his hair from his scalp.

“Hoya, sometimes we must choose what is best for everyone. We don’t have a choice here. If we chose to fight, a whole lot more people will die.”

“So you’re willing to die for them?” Hoya asked softly, knowing full well the answer to his question.

“Yes.” Sungjong breathed out. “I signed up for this.”

Unable to help himself, Hoya spun around and engulfing the younger male in a tight hug. “I didn’t. I’m afraid of losing you Sungjong. Please, don’t do this.”

Stunned, Sungjong remained stiff at first but soon returned the hug before pulling the other and holding him at arm’s length. “Sometimes, you have to face your fears in order to grow stronger.” He let out a soft sad smile. “We both know that you’re stronger than me Hoya. Face your fears, be brave.”

“I can never be as brave as you Sungjong.”

 

Hoya would be lying if he said he wasn’t afraid. Yes, he may be considered as one of the best, if not the best fighters of them but behind him would always lay a quiet, timid, boy who always knew what to do. Hoya was only the muscle in this body; it was Sungjong who was the brain. He merely executed everything but it was Sungjong who makes the orders. Now, with the younger boy gone, he’s afraid that he might not know what to do anymore.

 

 “There’s no changing your mind now is there?” Hoya asked once again as he entered Sungjong’s quarters.

The latter took a deep breath. “Not unless you’ve got a better idea.”

Taking a seat across the younger, Hoya looked at him intently “There’s always another way.” He said in a serious tone.

“No Hoya, there is a reason why they want you dead, it’s because they know you can tip the scales. I have requested reinforcements to be send as soon as possible. They should be enough for us to take back what’s ours.”

“But I...” he was cut off.

Sungjong placed his hands on either side of Hoya’s face, “Remember what I told you Hoya, be brave and face your fears. Our troops need you. You can do this. I believe in you.”

Embracing the younger one once again, he whispered in his ear “You are braver that you think Sungjong.”

“And so are you Hoya. Let your faith be bigger than your fear. You have to do this. For me. For us.”

“I will.”

 

It was 1 hour before midnight and Sungjong was becoming more and more restless by the minute. How can he be assured that they won’t come for Hoya after they’re through with him? How can he be assured that Hoya won’t get killed in this war? And how can he be assured that he can really do this? Now Sungjong wasn’t particularly brave, nor was he a very good fighter, so it was still a question for him how he became a general. He recalled way back when he was a boy that he wanted to be a healer. He wanted to make people feel better and that he wanted to save lives without using superior firepower. But now, here he stands, facing the biggest fears of his life. Dying.

 

Back when he was a kid, he would always remember how his father would always tell him that bravery is not about not being afraid of anything, but rather, gathering up the courage to face the things he was afraid of. But now, when he has finally come face to face with the thing he fears the most, things had begun to become clearer. He finally understood what true courage meant. Right now, he proudly admits that he was afraid, but he is willing to face it.

 

 


Date Accomplished: 06/ 06/ 16

Word Count: 1,119