#017 Ephemeral: Dongwoo + Woohyun

∞ INFINITE 100 FIC CHALLENGE ∞

Death has always been a mysterious thing, you will never know what it’s like, you will never know how it feels, you will never know what’s in it, until you have experienced it yourself, and by then, it would have been too late to tell the tale. You won’t be able to turn around once you have come face to face with death. But dying has its own way of making you see things you’ve never seen before. You see the beauty of things you often take for granted. Death makes life so much more beautiful.

 

Woohyun realized how beautiful life is a little too late. How beautiful the flowers would bloom during spring, how the sun shined brightly during the summer, how the wind would blow and sweep the falling leaves during autumn, hw the snow would gently fall to the ground, everything was so much prettier now, he watched it all intently as he laid on his bed, weak and dying; the sickness slowly consuming him, eating him, destroying him from the inside.

 

Dongwoo just stood there, tears flowing down his eyes. He felt so helpless, unable to do anything but stood there and whisper sweet words to his lover while holding his hand, a desperate and feeble attempt to ease the pain. Watching, that’s all he does. Watch as countless of needles poked and prodded him, watched as life slowly seeped out of him. Watch as Woohyun would smile at him and tell him that everything will be over soon.

 

Sitting beside the hospital bed, Dongwoo his lover’s hair, Woohyun looked up at him and smiled in response.

“Dongwoo-ahh, let’s stop this.” Woohyun whispered, eyes closed.

“What is it my love?” Dongwoo asked, his cheek.

“I’m tired Dongwoo, I want to rest.”

“Would you like me to turn off the lights for you? I’ll go outside so you can rest.”

“No, Dongwoo, enough of this. Please. I’m tired and I want to go home already. Please Dongwoo.” Woohyun pleaded.

Smiling, Dongwoo planted a soft kiss on Woohyun’s forehead. “Okay my love. Now get some rest. I’ll be outside.”

Woohyun nodded and closed his eyes, soon falling into deep sleep.

 

Woohyun opened his eyes to the sight of his lover gazing at him, smiling gently.

“Ready Woonie?” He asked cheerfully

Confused, Woohyun scrunched his eyebrows together, “Ready for what Woonie?”

He placed a soft kiss on his lover’s lips. “We’re going home.”

The younger brought a hand up to the other’s face. “Thank you Dongwoo.” He whispered softly.

Dongwoo smiled and brought his face closer to Woohyun and pressed his lips against the other.

“I love you Woohyun.”

“I do too Dongwoo.”

 

Woohyun smiled at the familiar beige walls, the smell of lavender, the warmth and coziness of their house. Memories started flooding in Woohyun’s mind, he smiled, remembering the time when Woohyun first invited him over to his place, how they started out sitting awkwardly facing each other and thanks to Dongwoo’s quick wit, they were able to break the ice and their night soon progressed filled with laughter and nonsensical thoughts.

“Dongwoo-shii, let’s go to the park tomorrow. I want to see the sun.”

“Alright Woohyun. Now let’s get you settled down first and then I’ll prepare dinner for us.” Dongwoo said as he placed a swift kiss on the boy on the wheelchair and wheeled him over to his bedroom.

 

Days passed and Dongwoo never left Woohyun’s side. They went to all the laces that Woohyun missed the most, to the places that meant the most to the two of them, places that are special to him.

 

“Dongwoo-ahh, do you know why I enjoy watching fireworks so much?” Woohyun asked as he gazed at the night sky and watched as lights flashed and different colors illuminated the dark horizon. “It reflects life.” Woohyun added as Dongwoo turned his attention to him. “Once it starts, we ignore it and take it for granted but once it draws to a close, that’s the only time we appreciate its beauty. We get too focused in other things that we tend to not realize that the most beautiful things don’t last forever. I guess life is cruel that way, just when you’ve on the brink of enjoying everything, that’s when it’s taken away from you. I think that’s what makes life more beautiful, don’t you think? Knowing that it doesn’t last long.”

Woohyun looked at Dongwoo as he finished talking, Dongwoo just stared at him, tears spilling down his eyes, Woohyun motioned for him to come closer. Dongwoo knelt down and came in eye level with Woohyun.

“Dongwoo-ahh, promise me you’ll live this life happily. Live this life for me. Live smiling, and live without regrets.”

 

Days continued to pass and Woohyun was becoming worse and worse. His body continues to weaken, his immune system is crashing, he can no longer go outside, much less get out of bed. Each day that passes by, Dongwoo slowly began to appreciate what’s left of Woohyun’s time. Day by day as Woohyun’s time dwindled down to nothing, the time he spends with his loved one continued to increase. Every day, it was impossible not to see Dongwoo with him. As the breaths he took slowly decreased, the moments that took is break away increased along with it, thanks to Dongwoo. The latter always made sure that every moment of Woohyun’s days were worth remembering. He longed to make life more meaningful for the younger male. He wanted him to feel that he’s loved, He wanted to make him feel special.

 

The day Woohyun died Dongwoo’s world just crashed. He could still remember it. It was the darkest day of his life the moment he woke up to find the love of his life unmoving. It seemed that everything just stopped when he saw that he was no longer breathing. He felt as if life was a waste when he realized that his heart was no longer beating. He didn’t want to life anymore when he realized that his lover was no longer with him. The only thing that was holding him back to life was Woohyun’s words “Life your life for me.”

 

Sitting on the cold floor, Dongwoo had finally realized what Woohyun was talking about. As his breaths shallowed and slowed down, the more he appreciated every breath he took. As his heart beat slowed down, the louder his heartbeat would seem. Glancing down at his bleeding wrist, he smiled as he felt his blood flowed down and out of the wound. Before blackness enveloped him, he thought of Woohyun and the things that he would always tell him. He closed his eyes and tears slowly stained his face.

‘I’m sorry Woohyun. I just can’t do it. I feel so useless and meaningless without you. I know you don’t want me to waste my life like this but it’s no use. I finally understood what you’re always saying. Everything is so beautiful now. Everything seemed more meaningful, all the memories that we share. It’s all beautiful now Woohyun. And I’m glad I’ll get to see you again.’

 

 


Date Accomplished: 07/ 02/ 14

Word count: 1,188