ONE

Smile Again {indefinite hiatus}
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I'm not sure this is a world I belong in anymore. I'm not sure that I want to wake up.” ― Gayle Forman, If I Stay

~~~

I awake, only opening my eyes slowly, and not moving anything else besides my eyes. I blink a few times, trying to adjust them to my surroundings and the bright lights. I'm still in my room, only this time, I am confined to my bed instead of the balcony's railing.

I moved my head slightly to look outside, but see that the curtains have been drawn shut although I can still make out that it's now daylight out. Still though, the closed curtains now hinders my view of my balcony and the world outside. The open, free world outside. I guess they finally realized the hazardous part of it, and probably barred it from me exiting outside again. Doesn't matter, there's plenty of other high places to see the city's landscape.

Lost in my thoughts, I didn't hear a knock until I heard the click of the door turned. I guess they decided to input the locking system, too. I hear the knob turned ever so slowly, before it actually opens all the way through. I turn my head to face the ceiling as the person walks in.

I knew it was one of the helpers; no one else enters unless they have to check up on me. Always checking up on me. Why wouldn't they though? It was their job to do so. They were getting paid, so of course they would come and check up on me. They needed to make a living to support themselves and their love ones. Kind of sad, really. This is the society of today's world we're living in.

The person speaks, but I paid her no mind. If I keep quiet and still, then they always go away with a sigh and leave me be. They report that I'm still alive and breathing and haven't done anything stupid and the likes. I hear no footsteps retreat or the bedroom door's lock clicked. Not this person though. I guess there's a first time for everything. Not like it would matter to me. I've been in this state for far too long to have someone come yank me out of it and set me straight. Nothing will make me wake up from this phase I'm going through. I know because they've tried many attempts, but nothing. Not sure if to say that's unfortunate or not.

Anyways, she clears and tries ag

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter