One

Chug and Cluck

The soft murmurs and shout out to each other feels different with Kyungsoo than with anyone else. It has been like this every morning, the same damp, cold air of the narrow street directing to their institution, the same feeling of uneasiness. A problem occurred and it was ubiquitously common--- the “I don’t have enough funds for studying,” “We do not have much, we are poor,” problem. The trial itself was hands-down light and easy to unravel, if and only if you have the determination to study and of course, the reasonable tuition fee of the run down school. But the biggest hurdle was--- to hide the ridiculous fact that he is working as a chicken mascot. The funny thing was, he is called a “chicken”. A very suitable characteristic, too.  Huge bulging eyes, that is unusual for his nationality but then it has a mark of being one of it, too, and it looks like he will run out and half-wittingly scream his lungs out for help.

 

Not too far from his situation, similarly alike, another student is having the very same dilemma. A too-huge-too-tall-for-his-age boy freaks out--- every time he goes to school. Chanyeol, is all ears to whatever nonsense his schoolmate muses to the other schoolmate who seems to be his friend. Afraid that it is him that they are talking about, he, who works as a mascot. Even though he doubts that he probably exist in their everyday life. He, who desperately needs every penny to pay the freight that the school needs from him.

 

The sun slowly drifts into the sky. While Kyungsoo changes into his chicken suit, Chanyeol does the same. Cussing and musing profanities as Chanyeol puts on his huge beer mug suit. What is the best quencher with chicken? Some cold, tonic alcoholic beverage—beer, for adults of course. It tastes ugly for some teenagers, and it tastes of heaven and rainbows, mostly.

 

He finishes the distribution of worn out parchments labeled with their bar’s name and its discounts. The city’s red-light district seems busier and louder this evening. Retreating back inside, he found his co-worker intensely gazing at their manager, probably listening at the grumpy old man’s scoldings. He crouches toward them slowly, and he was wrong. Their manager points at a certain table inside the drink bar. Following where, he sees someone. Looking out of place and at the same time pales while sitting next to his—Chanyeol presumes, his colleagues. 

 

He doesn’t know the latter, but then his eyes cannot deceive who is he looking at right now, A student in our school, perhaps, he muses inwardly.  He kicks the disheveled thought. As if on cue, his manager nudges him and whispers something in his ear. How disgusting, Chanyeol frowns mentally. “Would you care for a drink with your boss and your boss’ friend and your boss’ friend friend.” He says, and adds “and of course this buddy over here, too” pointing at his co-worker.

Chanyeol despises the alcoholic beverage, oddly strange because the guy in the chicken mascot certainly despise the liquor, also. Despite Kyungsoo’s  rightful age, he has swear on the River Styx to not glug, chug or even sip any alcoholic beverage.

Nodding in agreement, he follows his boss’s pace toward the table wherein the chicken mascot rests. Both of them still have their mascots on (without the headdress on, of course), which is already steamy and sticky from sweat. Both of them thinks the same thought. Excusing themselves for a while. Both of them goes to the locker room.

 

Steady and nervous pace toward the run down locker, while a thankful event has happen to break the ice, Chanyeol’s perspiration gets into his eye. He winces in pain. Alarmed Kyungsoo was. They ran quickly, runs the tap water, he helps the wimpy boy— satisfied he was as the latter wipes his eye with the back of his hand, though it seems Chanyeol was embarrassed at his manly actions.

His subconscious snorts at the earlier incident. He was surely embarrassed and that—he has no idea why, but it seems that he fancies Kyungsoo to be fascinated at him. A soothing voice pulls him back from his reverie.