CHAPTER 6

Perfection's Definition Must Be You

As the seasons changed, Luhan no longer had the time to think of his Prince Charming, but there was a certain Charming Prince that occupied his thoughts at times. With third year rapidly approaching, there was only one thing on his mind, and that was raising some money for the tons of school books and supplies that he knew he would need. And for college, since it’s coming at him like a train on tracks. 

It was with that thought in mind that he took up  a part-time job at a nearby cafe, working mostly evening or night shifts after school. It was where most students from the school worked as they were accommodating about hours and pay. It was tiring, on top of his presidential duties for the student council, as well as the typical homework load of a high school student but he pushed on through because it wasn’t the worst  job out there, and the pay he got would certainly be enough that he wouldn’t have to work during his final year. 

It was actually a job he secretly was excited to do. He loves the smell of freshly brewed coffee, and the smell of sugar wafting through his nose from the cakes. A dream job, but the dream was far from it. Sure, the things he imagined were some of the things that he got to experience at the cafe, but the majority of happenings made him cringe.

The noise levels were through the roof, even though he took the later hours of the day, people still had a lot to chat and gossip about it seems. And the customers… most caused no trouble, ordering and leaving with no fuss, but of course there had to be the regular fussy customer that threw fits over the smallest of things. It gave Luhan headaches, but thankfully he had dealt with many situations as President of the student council, and he persevered. 

Baekhyun and Chanyeol often visited, going on their disgustingly sweet dates. Luhan often finds himself staring at them a little too long. He wishes that there was someone who would be so brave enough to take him out on dates too. Those are the lucky ones who find their other half so early on, the ones who’ve been right there all along. His thoughts flicker to a certain someone every so often, but he never thinks of him for too long.

The bell rings, signaling that a new customer has entered the establishment. Luhan takes a deep breath before looking upwards at the new customer. 

Blond hair, blue eyes, dazzling smile that leaves him often breathless. He shakes his head, ridding himself of those thoughts about Sehun. “Good afternoon, sir. What can I get for you today?” And behind Sehun, he can hear the clatter of Chanyeol and Baekhyun. “The gang’s all here today,” Sehun comments, then quickly scans the menu.

“I think there’s something wrong with the menu.” Luhan widens his eyes. “What’s missing from the menu?” He carefully asks. “I don’t see your name on it.” Luhan resists the urge to bash Sehun’s head onto the cash register. His mouth twitches slightly. He can’t make a big debacle at work. “Sorry, I’m priceless. A rare delicacy.” 

“I guess I’ll have to settle for a strawberry cheesecake and chocolate bubble tea.” 

“How sweet.” Baekhyun coos from behind them. “How unofficially official, right Chanyeol?” Luhan rolls his eyes, punching the numbers in for his order. “That would be ten thousand won please.” 

“No discount?” 

“I don’t give discounts to fresh English boys. Your order will be on the other counter. Thank you, sir. Next.” 

“Aww, poor Sehun, that’s very discriminating of you, Luhan.” Luhan glares at Baekhyun from behind the register, wondering how much trouble he would get into with the boss.

“The usual for you then, I take it?” Luhan punches in the numbers for the priciest cakes and drinks from their menu, and gives a sugar-coated grin towards Baekhyun when the Vice President notices the total price of everything.

“How mean. Chanyeol, will you pay today, please? Luhan’s being a sour lemon.”

“I thought we already established that on Saturday’s I pay for your meals all day long?” 

“Oh yeah, thanks again, babe.” Luhan resists the urge to puke when Baekhyun pulls Chanyeol down for a kiss.

“Cut the crap you two. You’re in public, just get your stuff from the next counter and move along. You’re holding up the line,” sighs Luhan, waving them away as he massages his scalp. 

“That’s not how you treat customers, Luhan~.” Jongdae, this year’s third year president singsongs. When he passes by Luhan’s cash register, he pauses, noticing who exactly the customer was. “Byun.” He tuts. “On second thought, if it’s Baekhyun, you can continue.” And flutters away like it was nothing. Chanyeol tugs Baekhyun away, laughing slightly. Luhan hears a little bit of their conversation. Something along the lines of “See Baekhyun, you shouldn’t be rude to people.” He chuckles, but moves on to the next customer waiting.

“Hello, may I take your order?” Bubble gum popping, the ends of their hair curled, such eyebrows. Luhan has seen these girls in school before, but never actually got the time, or the patience to talk to them. More popping, as the girls scan through the menu. “Excuse me? You’re holding up the line…” The customers rolls their eyes, paying him no attention. This is one thing Luhan hates about working, you either have customers who are angels, and you have those who will be the complete opposite: plain rude.

“Holding up the line?” One of them scoffs, the other two following like minions. Luhan resists the urge to speak out. He doesn’t need anymore negativity in his life. “Red Velvet cupcakes, three; and three peach mango ice teas.” The way the leader replies had Luhan gritting his teeth in annoyance, punching in the numbers with more force than necessary. 

“For here or to go?” he manages to ask without venom, but his smile is forced.

“For here. Drop it off at our table. Keep the change.” She drops the twenty thousand won bill on the counter and  leaves. Luhan looks up at the ceiling, sending a silent pray to up above. “Give me the patience to not kill anyone today. At least Jongdae’s the one dealing with bringing orders to the tables.”

But as luck would have it, Jongdae went out for his break right after meeting Baekhyun, and Luhan was tasked with the remaining orders to be sent to tables. He grimaces when he picks up the tray for the three girls, making his way over to the table with heavy steps. He tries to balance the tray on one open palm, while the other hand serves the girls.  

He sets all of their cupcakes down in front of them with ease. It was the drinks that gave him a hard time to deal with. He sets the cups down slowly, one by one. He slowly lowers the tray to his waist level to grab the last cup. But when he sets the last cup down, it slips off the table due to Luhan carelessly placing it haphazardly. 

The liquid contents spill onto the girl who was giving him attitude earlier. She lets out an ear piercing scream, that resonates throughout the cafe. Her t-shirt was soaked in brown liquid. Deep in his mind, he was thinking, “Serves you right.” But Luhan scrambles to get his cloth, trying to help her wipe down. 

“Stop! Stop!” She screams, grabbing the cloth from Luhan’s hold, wiping herself down instead. “Don’t touch me! A person like you would never know anything about class!” Her yells have garnered the the attention of everyone inside the cafe. Luhan’s too stunned to say anything back. Just when she starts yelling again, Sehun interrupts her. “Excuse me. What’s the problem here? Did my boyfriend do anything to offend you?” 

The word easily slips out of Sehun’s lips, but everyone’s too focused on the scene to even care that he just referred to Luhan as his boyfriend. “Problem? Can’t you see?! Your boyfriend spilled my tea on me!”

“I did not! It slipped off the table! Sehun!” Luhan looks desperately toward Sehun, hoping that he’ll believe his words more than that woman’s. The other two girls look at their wet friend, giving her tissues to dry herself off with. They’re all grumbling and glaring at Luhan, who’s fuming on the inside now. 

“He spilled the drink on her. We saw.” They purse their lips together, giving a look that makes Luhan’s blood boil. The world is clearly not on Luhan’s side today. 

“Bull--” Luhan’s ready to snap, but a hand to his waist stops him. He looks down to see Sehun’s arm pulling his body towards him, and Luhan can only gawk as Sehun speaks in Luhan’s place.

“If you have a problem with my boyfriend, why don’t you say something that actually has proof. If he was going to spill it on your friend on purpose, why didn’t he just throw it at her face?”

“But Sehun! Just because he’s the president, it doesn’t mean that he’s always in the right!” the girl says, then quickly retreats. “Wait. What do you mean Luhan is your boyfriend?” 

“What does it matter to you?” 

“Because someone like you belongs to one of us! Not him! Not someone who makes you do all his dirty business.” 

“Dirty business?” Sehun raises an eyebrow. “What goes on behind our closed doors is none of your business. If you don’t have anything better to do than just insult my boyfriend, I’d advise you all to leave.”

“And as manager of student employees, I am not advising you all to leave, but I am telling you to get out. Now.” Everyone turns to Jongdae, who seems to be back from his break. “Girls, if you please, I’ll show you the door.”

Sehun turns towards Luhan, checking if there’s anything wrong with him. “I’m okay, I’m okay. The cup just slipped off the table. They were moving it around, and their arms knocked it over.”

“Your finger is bleeding.” Sehun points towards glistening red, small but noticeable against Luhan's skin.

“Oh.” Luhan just stares at his finger numbly, not really bothered to go and get the first aid kit. “It’s tiny.”

“It must have happened when you tried to gather the glass before I came in to help. “ Sehun holds on to Luhan’s wrist, bringing the latter’s hand closer to his face. Luhan just watches curiously as Sehun brings it closer and closer, until he feels Sehun’s lips around his finger, tongue at the cut. He gasps at the slight sting, but is too shocked to pull away.
 
“Whoa whoa whoa. Please lower the PDA in here.” Jongdae walks back just in time to see Luhan’s finger still in Sehun’s mouth. Luhan can hear the snickers from across the room, courtesy of the infamous annoying couple. He pulls his finger away from Sehun’s mouth, only to remember the warmth in it. He wipes the excess spit on Sehun’s shirt. 

“It’s not what you think.” Jongdae smiles at Luhan, walking closer and throwing his arm around his neck. His breathing is loud in Luhan's ear, who suppresses the urge to push Jongdae away.

“Little Luhan, you never told me you were dating the transfer student.” Jongdae knocks their heads together. “Don’t worry, I ship you both together. Selu! Selu! Selu!” He cheers on. 

Luhan harshly pushes him away this time, uncaring of manners, scowl evident on his face. “We’re not dating. We’re not together. We don’t have the slightest of attraction for each other. Isn’t that right, Sehun?”

Sehun looks taken aback. “Huh? Yeah…we’re not dating…” His voice soft. Jongdae scoffs, throwing his arms around the both of them again. 

“Don’t lie to me, s. Everyone in this room can tell that the between the both of you is strong.” If there was one thing that Jongdae was known for, it would be for his tongue that knows not the limits of crude. “He visits you almost everyday, and stays here until you’re off shift.” Jongdae sifts his focus between the two people in his hold, seeing their faces turn pink with time. “Oh…” He says. “I see.  Well, I’ll go get a mop. You guys clean up your act.” 

Luhan’s left standing in a partially filled room with people who’ve just witnessed the most embarrassing moment of his life. He heaves a sigh, bending down to collect the glass once more. “Here I’ll help.”

“No, Sehun. You’ve done enough. Just...go.” Luhan can hear the tiredness in his own voice. 

“Alright, then. I’ll call you later.” Sehun sounds unsure, but he’s still smiling gently.

“No, don’t. You don’t have any reason to. I’m fine.” Luhan can tell that he’s taking out the frustration he feels because of those girls on Sehun, but he can’t help it. It’s just so… embarrassing. For Sehun to declare something like that, without a care in the world, it made no sense. Even if it was to help him out of a sticky situation, Sehun said something like that so easily, without knowing how he feels either. 


Jongdae comes out with the mop, cleaning the mess that was left. “You can leave now, Luhan. I’ll excuse you for today.”

“Sehun! Why don’t you take Luhan home?” suggests Baekhyun, Chanyeol nodding as well. “Just to make sure those girls don’t cause trouble.”

“Sure--”

“No. I want to be alone for a while, I’m fine. I’ll see you guys at school.” Everyone watches as Luhan unties his own apron, leaving it on the table. He pushes through the glass doors of the cafe, feeling the crisp Autumn air surround him. He looks up at the sky, seeing the clouds accumulating. 

The multicolored leaves lay scattered on the floor. Just like them, Luhan’s feelings for Sehun fall with every leaf of autumn, leaving himself exposed for everyone, but him, to see. And as each day passes, the coldness of winter nears, and there’s nothing left to protect himself from falling for Sehun, even though he himself said not to, when he first met him.

Luhan wonders why he’s being so difficult about this, why he can’t just admit that he may have a small crush on Sehun? It’s not like it has to be love, or something that’ll last forever… But maybe that’s exactly why. Why he can’t feel this way. Because he knows that it does mean something.

Luhan endures the influx of customers. He knows that people love to go there to warm up with coffee, and pumpkin spice. Ever since that incident though, Sehun has not once returned with Chanyeol and Baekhyun. He doesn’t dare to question where he is anyway. It’s not like he doesn’t see Sehun at school; but even then, there’s this feeling of distance between them, even when they’re both in the same room, even when they’re sat side-by-side.

“Your boyfriend isn’t here today too?” Jongdae would ask. Luhan would ball up a paper towel, throwing it into his face. “Not my boyfriend.”

“Not accepting reality.” Jongdae replies, rolling his eyes. “Drama king.” 

“Am not.” Soon the bell rings, another customer enters. This time, the familiar sound of laughter fills his ears, familiar yet a sound he hadn’t heard in what felt like forever. Luhan looks up to see Sehun and Krystal. His heart feels like it’s been shattered into a million tiny pieces, with no hope of it being put back together. He hasn’t been speaking to Sehun lately too, since their homeroom teacher made everyone shuffle seats. He blames that for his lack of knowledge regarding Sehun and Krystal’s relationship. He didn’t even know that they were acquaintances, much less close acquaintances. 

Krystal was the transfer student that arrived the year before Sehun, from the States. The States is a pretty far place from the UK, so Luhan can’t see how Sehun and Krystal would know each other. 

But he’s not going to lie. He thinks they look so good together, yet he can’t help but think that maybe Sehun would look better with him instead. He still regrets the day he pushed him away, though it was unintentional.

“Hello, my I take your order?” Luhan tries to act normal, as if this was any other couple that had walked into the store. But it was hard, so hard, to do that.

“Two of the usual set, please,” says Sehun, and Luhan’s heart hurts because he still remembers what Sehun used to order. 

“I’m sorry? I don’t remember, sir, since you haven’t come in a while.”

“Ah…” Sehun chuckles awkwardly, biting his lips. “Two strawberry cheesecakes and two bubble teas.”

“Wow, still the same childish taste from years ago I see,” laughs Krystal, holding onto Sehun’s bicep. “But I like it.”

“For here or to go?” Luhan can’t help the venom that leaks into his voice, the anger as he barks out the order to Jongdae. 

“For here,” replies Krystal, smirking as Sehun stares at Luhan in confusion. “I’ll go get us a table while you pay, okay Sehun?” Sehun nods as Krystal walks away, turning back to Luhan as soon as she had sat down.

“I’m sorry for not coming in a while--”

“It’s understandable. You’ve been busy, as I see.” Luhan gestures toward Krystal. “I didn’t know you both knew each other.” Luhan checks that there are no other customers behind Sehun, he takes the liberty to talk to him, trying to squeeze out something from him. Sehun adjusts his scarf, looking at Luhan meekly.  

“Yeah we kinda do. A lot more than you think.” There’s a fondness in his expression that’s difficult for Luhan to decipher, but the pain in his chest just intensifies.

“Here’s your order.” Luhan slams down the reciept down in front of Sehun, gesturing to the next customer in line. “Next!”

“Wait--”

“Please, sir, you’re holding up the line. Next!” Luhan says exasperatedly. He’d rather not deal with anything remotely close to Sehun right now. He doesn’t want to think about him. At all.