CHAPTER 4

Perfection's Definition Must Be You

It’s officially been a month since Sehun transferred to the school. Everyday is a new adventure filled with him looking at the class president from afar, and sometimes, just teasing him for the fun of it. If Sehun had to say so, he would say that the Class president and he have gotten very close over the course of the month. Of course, said President would still turn on his heels whenever he spotted Sehun, but at least Luhan didn’t sprint away anymore.It was more of a speedwalk which allowed Sehun to easily catch up, his lanky legs covering a larger distance. Luhan, even if he didn’t realize it himself, seemed to enjoy talking to Sehun, it was very much great progress.

All in all, Sehun thinks that the President is very cute, and would like to know him more. He feels that they’re going to have a bright future ahead of them.


 

-


 

“So I was wondering if you would want to go to my house this weekend.” Sehun asked, casually leaning against the President’s desk. After school, Sehun insisted that he walk Luhan to his school office. With a shy nod Luhan accepted, but he thought that after they arrived, Sehun would leave; he didn’t expect him to stay in the room, watching him as he did his work.

Tapping his pencil on the paper, Luhan contemplated the suggestion for a while. Just when he was about to open his mouth to say no, Baekhyun jumps in with a shrill of “Yes! I would love to go! If Chanyeol goes I’ll go. Isn’t that right, Chanyeol?” Since when did Chanyeol enter the room? Luhan asks himself. He was about to protest at Baekhyun’s sudden agreement, maybe throw a paperweight at him, but Sehun had already begun speaking.

“It’s actually just a pool party, so more people the better.” Sehun smiles over to Baekhyun, but he turns back to look down at Luhan. He hooks his finger under his chin, making him look directly into Sehun’s eyes. “So will you go, Luhan?“

“Of course Luhan will go!” Baekhyun perks up. “He’s just too shy to say ‘yes’. Isn’t that right best friend?” There’s a mischievous glint in Baekhyun’s eyes, and Luhan wonders what’s going on in his head. Then again, there’s always that look in Baekhyun’s eyes.


 

“Yes, I’ll go. It doesn’t hurt to have some fun once in a while right?”  Luhan places his pen down, pulling his chin away from Sehun’s finger to lean back into his chair with his hands folded on his lap. He doesn’t know what made him say yes, but a little time off wouldn’t hurt, right? Besides, the weather was cooling down, and who knows when the next opportunity to swim would come.

“Ah!” Luhan widens his eyes, leaning up to pull on Sehun’s blazer to get his attention. “I don’t know where you live.” Unconsciously he pouts, and this makes Sehun chuckle, standing up from his place on the desk. He walks to the window behind Luhan, gazing outside, and looking at the tree where he once had a nap with Luhan.

“How about we all sleep over tonight? The party is tomorrow right?” Baekhyun perks up. Luhan sends him a glare, mouthing the words Do Your Work. Baekhyun tries his best to ignore what Luhan says, mouthing back I am, you’ll thank me later, and continues on. “I mean, all we have to do is get our clothes for tomorrow, and we can just sleep over. Is that okay, Sehun?” Baekhyun had that tone to his voice that was dripping with honey, a tone that people simply do not refuse. Plus, he was giving signals with his eyes to the host, making sure that Sehun understood his intentions.

Ah, Sehun really does love Baekhyun, but not as much as he loves Luhan. And he loves Baekhyun very platonically, not in the way he thinks he loves Luhan. And he loves Luhan a lot. “I don’t see why you guys can’t. My parents would love to meet you guys.” But when Sehun says that, his eyes burn into Luhan’s. The latter has to look away from the intensity of the gaze, wondering what the that could mean.

“So you wouldn’t mind dropping me off home while I go get my clothes?” Luhan questions, turning back around to look at Adonis who stands by the window. As if on point, Luhan’s heart skips a beat, his face flares up, and he turns away. These weird phenomenons have been happening ever since Sehun and he have been getting closer. As much as Luhan was averse to admitting it, he couldn’t deny that they have been getting closer over the past month. He guesses that’s what happens when a certain someone keeps trying to follow you and you let them. Dear god, and wasn’t Oh Sehun a persistent person.

“Of course I wouldn’t mind. I would love to meet your mom too. I want to thank her for bearing such a wonderful son like you.” A chorus of oooooh’s fill the room, although only Baekhyun and Chanyeol were present (those two have really loud voices it seems), and Luhan is at a loss for words. It seems that he has forgotten to mention, that ever since Sehun and him have been getting closer, smooth words like these have been escaping his mouth more often. Which means that Luhan has found himself lost for words more often, and he wasn’t sure if that was a good thing or not.

“Seems like Sehun’s getting ready to meet his mother-in-law.” Chanyeol calls out, reaching over to high-five Baekhyun.

“Chanyeol!” Sehun and Luhan yell out at the same time, faces red with embarrassment.


 

-


 

Luhan was feeling jittery sitting in the headmaster’s-- Junmyeon’s (he insisted he call him that outside of school premises) car. When Sehun had first brought him to Junmyeon’s car, the man already waiting inside, Luhan had almost balked, foreseeing the awkward air that comes with driving in a teacher’s car. But he couldn’t walk away, Sehun had already opened the door and was waiting expectantly for him to enter.

After that, he had hoped that he would be sitting alone at the back, and he wouldn’t have to deal with Sehun’s presence beside him. But his hopes had been dashed by a grinning Junmyeon.

“Sehun, sit at the back and keep Luhan company.” So Sehun does keep Luhan company, but the latter was hoping that he would sit in the back by himself so he can save unnecessary feelings from coming out.

It wasn’t helping that Junmyeon was asking Luhan questions about his little brother.

“How’s he doing in school? Is he misbehaving? If he’s misbehaving, don’t be afraid to come to Big Brother Junmyeon--”

“Stop it!” hisses Sehun, reaching around the headrest to hit Junmyeon on the arm. “You’re embarrassing me…”

“You’re lucky we’re off campus, if not I would have given you eternal detention for assaulting your headmaster,” the oldest retorts cheekily “Isn’t that right, Luhan? Wouldn’t you give Sehun a lifetime sentence to detention with you?”  Luhan shrinks back in his seat, he’s actually just really shy….and nervous.

“Sehun’s not that bad si-”

“Continue that word and you’re not president next year.”

“I mean. Sehun’s a really good friend, Junmyeon...hyung.” Luhan felt like he had aged years with Junmyeon’s sudden statement, and he could feel the tremors shaking his body.

“Hyung,” whines Sehun. “You’re scaring Luhan now.” Junmyeon turns in his seat, and Luhan has the urge to scream out keep your eyes on the road oh my god, chuckling at the sight of Luhan.

“You know I was joking right? I can joke too.” Sehun and Luhan look at him incredulously, but he doesn’t see it.

“Sure you can,” deadpans Sehun, earning a glare from Junmyeon.

The rest of the car ride to his house was spent in a similar fashion, Sehun and Junmyeon bantering over something insignificant as Luhan just listened on. Occasionally, he would speak up to give directions, to point them in the right direction, but other than that he stayed quiet, still too nervous around Sehun and his older brother.

When they pull up Luhan’s driveway, he was mentally preparing the speech he was going to give his mom when Sehun and his brother come walking through the door. He knows that he can’t start off with ‘Hi Mom, this is my headmaster, don’t worry I’m not in trouble.” Junmyeon would have his head for not introducing him as hyung, and he couldn’t risk it.

When he rings the doorbell, there she is, in her apron. She greets Luhan with a bear hug before noticing that there’s people behind Luhan. “OH! Son! You didn’t tell me we have guests! Who could these fine gentlemen be?” Taking a deep breath, Luhan refuses to be shy in his own house.

He points towards them, “The one in the same uniform as me is Sehun, he transferred from England last month, and the man beside him is his brother, Junmyeon.” Mama Lu’s face brightens up as she walks through the threshold to hug them too. She doesn’t understand the meaning of personal bubble, but she likes to accept everyone as her own “child” of sorts. At this moment, Luhan wishes that she was too busy to greet Sehun but alas his eyes just widen in horror as she makes herself comfortable with the two

“My my, what a handsome boy you are. You have those pretty colored eyes.” Her small palms are on Sehun’s cheeks, giving them tiny slap before pinching them. “Hello, madam.” He smiles down at her, giving her a hug of his own. “Oh god, you have those British accents that Luhan loves! No wonder he brought you home! Are you his boyfriend?”

Shoot. Kill.  Dead. Luhan widens his eyes in horror. He wasn’t expecting this to happen. Not this. Anything but this. He blinks his eyes, willing for the scene in front of him to change. However with every blink that he takes, the scene is definitely not changing. Sehun laughs, and Luhan just wants to bury himself six feet under.

“No, ma’am. I’m just his classmate.”

“Ah, you got my hopes up. I wouldn’t mind having a fine boy like you as my son-in-law.” She says before turning to Junmyeon. “You must be his brother! But you don’t look anything alike.” Luhan officially thinks that it was a very bad idea to bring Sehun and Junmyeon-hyung  home.

“We have different fathers, ma’am, we get that a lot.” He says with a smile. Oh. Luhan didn’t know that either. He engulfs her into a hug, making her forget the question she was about to ask.

“So mom.” Luhan tries to get her attention after Junmyeon let her go.  "I was wondering if I could sleep over Sehun's house tonight."

“Are you sure he’s not your boyfriend?” she raises an eyebrow at his question, but it doesn’t look as if she’s getting to refuse. In fact, she looks overly happy that her son was finally making more close friends.

"Positive! I'm sure Sehun doesn't see me like that anyway." He doesn't notice the look Sehun has on his face. Crestfallen. And in Luhan’s mind, I’m sure he doesn’t see me the same way. I see him.”

Luhan’s mother looks skeptical, looking back and forth between Sehun and Luhan. “Mhm.” Her eyebrow still raised. “I suppose you can stay over Sehun’s house. Is it only just you?”

“Nope, Baekhyun and Sehun’s cousin, Chanyeol are coming over too. So it’s like a mini party because they’re also having a pool party tomorrow. Can I go to that too?”

“As long as Sehun’s there to take care of you, then I don’t mind at all.” Mama Lu turns to look at Sehun in the eye, “Make sure nothing happens to my baby okay?” She gives him a pointed look that makes Sehun and Junmyeon gulp loudly. The mother lion must not be played with.

“You can put Luhan’s life into my hands, I swear to protect him.” Sehun declares with a definite resolution.

“You sure, Luhan?” She asks once more, gesturing to the man beside him. “He seems like a keeper.”

“Mom,” Luhan groans, “please stop embarrassing me.”

“Go pack your stuff Luhan, I’ll keep them company.”

“Just please don’t embarrass me when I’m gone too.”


 

-



 

Luhan forgoes his school uniform, opting to wear something more comfortable and casual. He wants to make a good impression on Sehun’s family too. He doesn’t want to look too casual, and comfortable, so he wears skinny jeans and a cardigan over his vneck. Simple enough.

Luhan walks down the stairs, bag fully packed, to hear boisterous laughter erupting from the kitchen. He hopes that his mother isn’t embarrassing him more than she already has, asking him countless times if Sehun was his boyfriend. Reality check, Sehun isn’t. And he so does not like Sehun that way. He thinks he doesn’t at least.

When Luhan walks into the kitchen, it’s what he doesn’t expect. Instead of him being the topic, it seems like it was Sehun. The tips of his ears were red, and he was burying his face in between the palms of his hands. It seems like Mama Lu and Junmyeon enjoy bringing forth embarrassment to their family. Yet, it’s an endearing sight to see when Sehun’s face is as red as the cherry tomatoes Mama uses for cooking.

“When Sehun was little, before he went to England, he would always run around the house with his underwear over his head. I wish I could show you a picture, but they’re all at home. Maybe next time, Mama.” Mama? Just exactly what happened while Luhan was gone that, not even Sehun, but Junmyeon was calling his mother ‘Mama’?  

Luhan walks into the kitchen,trying to save Sehun from embarrassment (and maybe himself too, he was sure that his mother and Junmyeon were swapping stories of Sehun’s and Luhan’s childhoods). He stands next to him with an expectant look plastered on his face. “I’m ready to go!” Sehun looks at him with a smile, they really have been getting closer. What a miracle. Sehun looks up at Mama Lu. “I think we’ll be going now, Mom.”

“Mom? Why are you guys calling her mom?” Luhan’s forehead crinkles subconsciously, and everyone else in the room chuckles.

“Oh come on, Luhan. Don’t tell me you’re going to deny this boy of heaven. He’s already my son! I accept you,” She turns to Sehun, clapping her hand on his shoulder. “You’re welcome here anytime, Sehun.” Said boy grins, turning to Luhan.

“Hear that? I think I’ll have to visit mom more often.” Luhan can practically see the mischievous glint in his eyes, and he has to resist to roll his own. After all, his mother was still watching them like a hawk, and any form of interaction would be interpreted as them being all couply.

“I’m just kidding, Luhan you don’t have to be this gullible. Right, Sehun?” Mama Lu winks towards Sehun who winks back at her. Luhan shivers, still unsure of their true intentions. But what he does know is, he wants to leave. Right now.

“I think we should get going now. It’s getting late, right Junmyeon hyung? Luhan emphasizes the last word, of course it would work on Sehun’s older brother!

“Of course, wouldn’t want to keep our other mom waiting. Thank you so much, Mama!” Sehun and Junmyeon walk up to hug the petite lady goodbye. Once parted, she looks expectantly at Luhan. “Where’s my hug?”

Right right, Luhan walks up to her, and also gives her a kiss on the cheek. “I’ll behave! I’ll be a good boy.”


 

She waves them off, “yeah yeah, as long as Sehun’s next to you, I’ll make sure you don’t behave badly.” It sounds innocent enough, but Luhan knows his mother; she means it, and if he loses Sehun (in her words), she would probably skin him alive.

-

The car ride to Sehun’s house was just as awkward as the car ride to his house. He really doesn’t know what to say to keep a conversation going, but he’s also thankful that he doesn’t have to say anything to them. They seem to be enjoying the silence too, or maybe it’s just Luhan who does. Either way, he’s thankful. The silence makes him think more about what he should do when he arrives at Sehun’s house.

Lost in his thoughts, Luhan didn’t even realize that they’ve pulled into a driveway, until Junmyeon turned the car off and Sehun was opening the door, calling his name softly.

“Luhan, we’re here.” Luhan gulps, mentally preparing his greetings for Sehun’s family. How did he manage to do it so well? Ugh. Of course, Adonis can greet other people’s parents without feeling awkward. Maybe his family is filled with gods and goddesses. It’s a likely possibility since they’ve made Sehun into this wonderboy.

“Okay,” Luhan nods getting out of the car, closing the door with a loud bang. He follows silently behind Sehun and Junmyeon to their front door. Junmyeon keys in the door, unlocking it. There’s this heavenly smell that wafts out from the house, and Luhan’s stomach grumbles. It smells delicious. “Mom?” Junmyeon calls out, taking off his shoes. Sehun follows suit, placing their shoes on a nearby rack. Neat, everything from the doorway was already neat.

“In the kitchen!” a bright voice calls back, and the hissing sound of cooked food can also be heard. Junmyeon makes his way to the kitchen, leaving Luhan and Sehun by the doorway. Luhan takes his shoes off, and places them in the corner where all the others are.

“You can put your bag right there, Luhan. You’ll be sleeping with me in my room later.” Oh. That sudden revelation made him freeze on the spot. “Is something wrong?”

“Err-- No, of course not,” mumbles Luhan, but Sehun could see right through it.

“Don’t worry, Baekhyun and Chanyeol will too.” Luhan visibly relaxed, but maybe he had let down his guard too soon. “We’ll have the bed and they’ll take the inflatable on the floor.”

“We? Bed?” He questions a little too loud. And before he can get a response, Junmyeon returns, walking behind a middle-aged woman, who Luhan assumed was their mother.

“Mom, this is Luhan, Sehun’s new friend.” Junmyeon introduces. Luhan was expecting to be greeted with a curt “hello”, but it seems like their mother would be best friends with his own if they were ever to meet. “You’re Luhan? The one our Sehunnie likes to talk about over dinner?” Luhan can tell where Sehun’s handsomeness came from, and it’s definitely from his mother. She’s beautiful.

“You’re so pretty, Luhan! I can see why our little Sehun loves to talk about you.” Luhan seems to have a made a face, a cross between being mortified and completely embarrassed. “No no don't worry they’re all pleasant words. Maybe even declarations of love.”

“MOM!”

“I’m just kidding. He just says you’re a very nice friend, and you’ve had the patience to show him around school. My my, go put your stuff upstairs. I’ll call you guys when it’s ready.” She walks closer to Luhan, hugging him before whispering in his ear, “We can talk more about this at dinner.” Luhan just laughs nervously until Sehun tugs on his sleeve and starts making their way upstairs to Sehun’s room, bringing his attention back to his earlier worry.

“Sorry, my room’s slightly messy.” Sehun pushes the door open, and it’s everything but messy. It’s grand. It’s fit for a Prince. Luhan side glances towards Sehun….yes definitely fit for a prince. “Just wait for a bit, make yourself comfortable. I need to go get the inflatable for Chanyeol and Baekhyun--”

Just then, Sehun was interrupted by hysterical laughter which seemed to be coming from Luhan’s bag. The President scrambles to the bag, whipping out his phone which was now saying ‘Luhan baby, it’s me, Baekhyunnie calling!~’ in Baekhyun’s distinct squeal.

“Nice ringtone!” Sehun shouts out from wherever he was, eyebrows raised in amusement.

“Baekhyun recorded it on my phone one day I guess. I was too lazy to change it back. It’s a good idea too, so I can know when to pretend I’m not answering.”

“What?” Luhan says into the phone, falling back onto Sehun’s soft, soft, bed covers. He puts his phone on speaker so Sehun can also hear.

“I don’t think I can make it today.” Luhan sits right up, looking around in disbelief. This can’t happen. “I don’t feel so good…” Baekhyun sounded genuine enough, but there was still a suspicious feeling gnawing at Luhan.

“What did you do?” He questions, curious but not really wanting to know what stupid thing his best friend had managed to do.

“Here I’ll give the phone to Chanyeol.” At this time Sehun comes back, taking a seat next to Luhan on the bed.

“What’s wrong?” Sehun says into the receiver.

“Oh! Sehun! We ate a lot of food, and we can’t even sit up. But I think we ate something bad too.”

“No way! That street food splurge down in Chinatown was in no way ‘bad’,” Baekhyun cuts in. “Although maybe multiple sodas we had reacted badly with it…” he mumbles.

“Were you guys on a date before coming here?” Luhan asks. He’s met with silence, before a groan is heard through the phone.

“I need to go poo,” whispers Baekhyun, and then the line cuts off, leaving a speechless Luhan and a slightly amused Sehun.

“Do you think there’s something going on with them?” Sehun looks at Luhan mildly interested.

“You should have seen them before you came over to Korea. They were so disgustingly flirty.”

“Well then, I guess I’m glad it’ll just be us two tonight,” says Sehun with a grin. Crap.