Itsy Bitsy Teensy Weensy Yellow Polkadot Bikini

I'm EXO's Stylist?!

I sat next to manager-ssi on the couch watching Inkigayo reruns, when I heard a loud voice behind me.

 “C’mon Minnie! We’re going shopping on our free day!!”Tao explained with glee. Chenyeol, Sehun, and Kris followed closely behind. 3 of them wore matching, excited expressions, while the other sighed and rubbed his hands together. (I bet you can guess who that one was.) I smiled sadly, and replied, “That’s sweet guys, but I don’t have any money.” Kris half-smirked and gave me a knowing glance. I already knew he would be the one paying under the aegyo of his dongsaengs. “That’s okay unnie! We can pay for you- you know, as a thank you present for your amazing work!”Sehun replied. I laughed under my breath as Kris threw his hands up in the air with a bewildered expression.  “I’m not made of money, folks,” he attempted to protest- unsuccessfully. Manager-ssi shifted on the couch. “I agree with the boys, Minnie. As our stylist, you have to work for your image as well as theirs. And we don’t want the public thinking we’re low-budget…” he said, motioning toward my current attire. I feigned an offended look, but I knew what I was wearing: my faded gap skinny jeans, a 4.99 black tank top from forever 21, and panda slippers. When I looked back at the boys and manager-ssi, a warm blush rose on my cheeks. “Here-spend it wisely” Manager-ssi handed over what looked like $500 USD and rose to his room. “Have fun!”

My jaw dropped, “I can’t accept this!” I yelled after him. “No refunds!” he yelled back. The boys chuckled, “Well, go get ready! Hurry! We’ll be in the car waiting for you.” Tao shoved me toward my bedroom. With only a few minutes, I pulled out my best styling tricks. I threw my tangled hair into a messy bun and pinned a black velvet bow in. I also reached for my favorite knee-high black boots with gold clasps and a maroon blazer with lace detailing. I dabbed on some eyeliner and blush, grabbed my phone and lip balm. After a brief hesitation, I also slipped on the water drop ring Suho had given me; then, I took it off, and put it back on again. Coco Chanel probably wouldn’t have approved (and who mixes gold with silver?!), but the cold metal of the ring sent warm tingles throughout my body at the memory of him.

As I hopped into the car, I surge of excitement pulsed through me- I was going shopping with EXO! I wondered where we were headed.

“Wow! Minnie-noona looks so pretty, even in boring clothes!”Sehun explained when he looked up from his phone. “Shut up!” I laughed as I punched him playfully in the ribs. “I’m the reason you aren’t wearing boring clothes!” “Ow! That hurt!” he protested with a pout, “Your ring is sharp!” that’s right! I was wearing the ring Suho gave me; would it be okay if the other boys saw?

“What, let me see that ring!” Chanyeol exclaimed as he reached across the car. “That looks like- (oh no, I mentally flinched)-like, Suho’s water symbol.” “It does, doesn’t it?” I fibbed. “Huh, I actually found it when I was shopping last weekend.”

“Liar!” Sehun and Tao exclaimed together, “You just said that you didn’t have money for shopping!” Damn it, these beautiful, adorable, intelligent boys. The car was suddenly quiet, even the radio was turned down. I could feel my cheeks burning under everyone’s stares-especially Kris’s. His mouth was turned in his perpetual smirk, but his eyes screamed, “I’m lost! I’m confused! Don’t hurt me, I love you!” I swallowed hard and forced myself to look at the others before I confessed. “Okay, you got me. Suho gave me this ring the first day we met, because he knew I didn’t feel welcomed and wanted to make me comfortable. You know, since he’s the leader and all…” I knew they didn’t buy it, but they stopped pestering me- for now.

“We’re here” the chauffer announced as the guys scrambled out the door. “Which store first?”Chanyeol pondered. “Gucci!” Tao yelled with an adorable smile, “Please?” Wow, he was good with his aegyo. “No no no!” exclaimed Sehun, “I want to get bubble tea with Minnie- she’s never had any!” “Guys focus”, Kris’s manly voice boomed from behind us. “We’re here for Minnie, remember. We’re going to the stores she likes.” “Gee, thanks you guys. But I’ve never been shopping in Korea. What stores are good?”

We ended up in a store with the cute name of “Lemon Cookie”. I was cracking up at the boys childish antics, and genuinely flattered by their excitement and attention. “You think I could pull this off?” Tao said as he posed behind a loud, rainbow colored tutu dress. “No, but I could,” replied Sehun, “I think it matches my hair quite well.” “Too much color…”Chanyeol stuttered, “Feeling dizzy…” I laughed at them and grabbed the dress from Tao. “By the way, no. Your coloring doesn’t match.” I told him, but he had already grabbed 3 more dresses and shoved them at me. “Here try!”

I was pushed into a teeny dressing room by a persistent saleswoman-who ignored my protests. I sighed as I glanced at the dresses, and decided on my favorite. It was dark blue- almost black with cute little cap sleeves and a knee-length hemline. It seemed relatively conservative, until I put it on and noticed the back was completely missing. Well, not exactly. It was an edgy, ribbed, cage-pattern cutout. “Wow!” Exclaimed the guys as I stepped out. “You look hot!” “So pretty!” “You’re getting that!” Sehun insisted, “And try these on too!”

After 2 more dresses and a pair of patterned skinny jeans, we were almost ready to go. “Wait, try this on!” Kris shoved a tiny yellow bikini in my face. “Kris, what am I going to do with a bikini in November?” “Nothing, just try it on for us.” he said with a seductive eye brow wiggle. I blushed furiously, while the others laughed and high-fived him. Then, we hit up another store called yes-style and I got a pink shirt and cute little sweater with a panda on it, in Tao’s insistence. Before we left, we also got some bubble tea for Sehun, and it was yummy! Like an iced sweet chai tea latte with little mochi gummy balls!

Oh, and the boys spent the whole car ride home singing “itsy-bitsy, teensy-weensy, yellow polkadot bikini”. Their beautiful voices plus that amazing song was the biggest contradiction in my life. I wasn’t sure whether to applaud them or punch them.