The Pain of Being Parted

The Twilight of Our Love

The sun's rays slipped through the blue curtains of a summer meadow-painted room, and fresh air found its way in through a slightly open window, letting in the scent of grass and exotic flowers. The vividly fresh scent of blossoming flowers filled a twenty-four-year-old man's nostrils, awakening his soul. His eyes fluttered open and squinted as the soft morning light kissed his face with cordial welcoming, as if whispering to him, the beginning of a brand-new day, a new start—the beginning of endless possibilities had begun.  

However, he didn't welcome it. He stayed in bed as a deep feeling of loneliness and emptiness washed over him. These feelings had been invading him ever since his wife had deserted him. He gripped his heart, causing it to pang with a hollow ache. He briefly squeezed his eyes shut and in a deep breath, trying to fortify himself before he sat up. His eyes roamed around the room as if he was looking for his wife.

"Jiyeon, where did you go? Where are you now? Are you alright?" He sighed and ran his fingers through his short dark-brown hair, his brown eyes narrowed in frustration. 

Baekhyun and his wife had known each other since they were young; he used to play with her older brother—Park Chanyeol. Baekhyun was only three months older than her. Their houses were close to each other, and their love story began when they were in senior high school. She'd always bring him into a meadow to watch the evening twilight whenever he asked her out on a date. He couldn't deny that sometimes he got bored of dating in the same place, but he didn't complain. Just seeing her happy was enough for him. 

After they graduated from Seoul University and had decent jobs, they finally got married. They lived happily in a small rental house near their parents' houses, and they decorated their room with a nature theme. The ceiling was painted a bright blue sky with white fluffy clouds, while the walls were embellished with beautiful summer meadow scenery. His wife loved the natural world and spent a lot of time outdoors.

Baekhyun had been teaching math at Cheongdam Middle School whilst his wife had been a teacher at Seoul Elementary School. In his eyes, she had always been a good wife. She had always woken up before sunrise to clean the house. Once she had finished, they would go outside to the patio. They would cuddle up as they sat side by side on the bench, watching the sunrise. Seeing the sunrise had always made them feel as if there was a bright new day ahead of them. It was lucky to witness such a natural miracle. They went back inside the house when the sun had woken from its deep slumber. They cooked and had breakfast together before taking their baths. That was their morning routine before they went to work.

Unfortunately, five months after marriage, his beloved wife left him. As he looked back into their marriage life, Baekhyun was sure they never had a huge argument, only small ones like when he wanted to bring her into the hospital, since he noticed that his wife seemed to be having health issues. His wife looked a little pale, had bruises on her arms and legs and had a fever. However, she stubbornly refused, saying that she was just so tired, and she would feel better after taking the fever medicine and vitamins. He was sure that she would throw a tantrum if he continued urging her to go to the hospital, so he quickly stopped doing so. He knew his wife well. She became so stubborn when she felt she did the right thing. That night, she gave no hint that she would leave him, because after a tiff with him, she seemed to be acting normal. They slept peacefully in bed clasped in each other's arms.

He found his wife was gone at dawn. Jiyeon had been gone for three months now. Baekhyun couldn't recall how many times he had visited the place they used to spend the time together and asked her family and her best friends about his wife's whereabouts. However, she'd never been seen there again, and both her family and friends had never given him an answer. Instead, her brother had suggested him to find another woman better than her. It didn't make sense, how could Chanyeol suggest him to betray his own sister? The best day in his life was the day he married her. The best thing in his life was her. It was impossible for him to do so—he loved her with every breath he took and every beat of his heart. 

Not knowing his wife's whereabouts put him in the feeling of guilt and anger. Every moment spent away from her felt like a thorn digging deep into his heart. He missed her at night as he looked up at the stars. He longed for her during the day as clouds covered his sun. 

"Jiyeon, why did you leave me? Did I do something wrong?" Tears rolled down his face.

Baekhyun squeezed his eyes shut, swallowing hard not to let more tears fall. After taking a few deep breaths, he went to his window, opened it and looked out. It was such a beautiful Sunday morning. The sun was shining brightly; the air was as fresh as the wintry waters of a mountain river. Clouds were slowly moving eastward leaving behind the clear blue sky, and birds were chirping as they flew by. Joy was everywhere. However, to him, it seemed today would be like any other—a dark and miserable day. His happiness had been flushed out as sorrow seeped into every tiny crevice of his soul. He couldn't enjoy the beauty of nature as he used to. He felt like nature had lost its beauty.

Jiyeon, I know how much you love me. You love me as much as you love watching the evening twilight, as much as you love staring at the evening star. I'm sure someday you'll come back to me. I won't stop waiting. I'll wait till the end of my days, until death comes for me. I'll wait for you for eternity. I'm forever devoted to our relationship. My beloved wife, I miss you so much. Baekhyun his wedding ring before he gazed up steadfastly into the heaven, imagining that his wife was looking up at the same sky somewhere with a bright smile.