Chapter 4

Something in the Mist

Chanyeol's fever died down the day after and he continued with his crazy schedules again. The weeks after were bearable, they were a few glares and shouts but not to that extend where he would hit me. So life's good. 

 

I tied up my hair into a messy bun and put on an apron. I started to take out the ingredients needed and laid it out on the counter.  

It was the weekend and I decided to bake a cake for Chanyeol. I was watching TV and cake sounded so delicious so I'm baking one. Let's just cross our fingers and hope I won't burn down the kitchen. 

 

 

 

Flour was everywhere, I managed to crack 1 out of 3 eggs correctly without mixing the shell into the batter, my hands were smudged with butter , I spilled half of the vanilla essence onto the counter, the sprinkles-I don’t know why I took that out- but they're all over the floor. I'm just thankful that the milk was still safely placed on the corner of the counter. It'll just be annoying to wipe milk if it gets all of the floor. 

 

I turned around to get a mixer and I guess I spoke too soon when my hand accidentally pushed the carton of milk off the counter and it burst as it touched the floor. "I'm doomed." I grunted.

  

I looked up as I heard a chuckle coming from the door. "What are you doing, baby?" He asked with a smile as he walked towards me. "I'm trying to bake you a cake." I frowned and he hugged me from behind. "Do you even know how to?" He asked and that hurt my pride a little.  

 

I nudged his stomach. "I'm learning." I whined and he chuckled making my neck tickle since he was burying his head at the crook of my neck. "You smell like butter mixed with egg." Chanyeol muttered after he kissed the spot on my neck. "Is this sugar?" He asked out loud. "Why is there sugar on your neck, honey?" Chanyeol laughed as he stepped away from me and looked at the batter that I was stirring. 

 

"You do know that we have to separate the shell from the egg, right baby?" He teased as he picked out a shell that I missed from the bowl. I jokingly glared at him and crossed my arms. "I'm not doing this anymore. You go make a cake yourself." 

 

He still laughed as he grabbed my shoulder and dragged me to the bedroom. "Go and wash up. I'll clean up the mess." "But let me finish baking first." I protested but he held me in place. 

 

"We'll bake together but you'll have to wash up first, okay." I reluctantly agreed and went into the bathroom to clean myself up. I came out of the bedroom feeling refreshed in clean clothes and neat hair. Chanyeol just finished wiping the counter when I walked in. 

 

"Come on, I'll teach you." He beckoned me to come closer and tied the apron around me. We decided on making two cakes, each of us baking our own.  

Chanyeol keep on getting on my nerves by messing with my batter. "Don’t do that, Park Chanyeol! That's not fair." He clutched onto his stomach as he laughed, enjoying my misery. "You're mean." I glared at him before taking out the egg shells from my bowl.  

 

"Oopps, sorry." I smirked at him as I 'accidentally' poured water in his batter. "I guess you need to do the batter again." Chanyeol had his jaw dropped. "You didn’t." I laughed at his face. "I just did." I said, feeling accomplished with myself.  

 

I gasped as I felt something cold being smudged all over my forehead. "You dumb head, I just showered." I yelled at the giant and the only reaction I got was his laugh. "Oopps, sorry." He mocked. His face changed when he saw how I grabbed the nearest egg. 

 

I raised an eyebrows as he backed away from me with a terrified look on his face. "Don’t run away." He had nowhere to go and was stuck in between me and the refrigerator. He seemed like he gave up on running and dejectedly sighed as he closed his eyes, waiting to be egg-ed. I laughed in victory and stood on my tip-toe to smash the egg on his head.  

 

"You like this?" He asked and I nodded happily. I wiped the egg that was flowing down from his head. "You still look dashing to me."You're not getting away with this." He grumbled as he trapped me in his arms and dragged me towards the counter. "No, no, no, no, honey, no, no." I yelped as he dumped, his ruined batter all over me. 

 

My jaw dropped and wiped the batter from my face. "That's it. You're dead, Park Chanyeol!" I grabbed my bowl and ran after him. I made a mess just by walking around but I don’t care, Chanyeol is going to get a taste of my wrath.  

 

I entered the living room but he was nowhere to be found. I froze on my spot and looked around. When I was about to turn around, I was suddenly tackled in a really tight, with Chanyeol's arms wrapped around my middle, lifting me up. 

 

The bowl smashed on the floor, breaking into pieces but Chanyeol didn’t even care about it as he lifted me back to the kitchen. "That tickles." I giggled as he continued on poking my sides. "That's what you get for trying to get me." He laughed light-heartedly. 

 

Both of us were drenched with batter since I rubbed some off on Chanyeol. "Now I need to shower again." I grumbled as I looked down on my clothes. With ease, he lifted me off the counter and into the bathroom. "I can help you with that." Cheekily, he said. 

 

 

"Baby." I opened my eyes to see a warm pair of eyes staring back at me. My lips stretched into a soft smile as I saw how he flashed one of his, warmly. "Wake up and eat your dinner. I'm going out with my friends, so get out when you hear the door click close, okay?"  

 

He helped me sit up and fixed my hair for me. "Cute." He laughed but I made a face. He kissed my forehead once and gave a peck on my lips. "Stay safe." And he went out of the door. 

 

I use the hairband on my wrist to tie my hair up and walked towards the switch to turn the lights on. I heard the main door clicked close and I immediately went out of the door, already hungry. 

 

As expected from Chanyeol, he prepared everything on the table, from the rice to the utensils. I started to dig in. Since my hair was loosely tied, the hairband fell off, leaving my hair all over the place as I ate.  

 

I didn’t even hear the door being opened. But what I did hear was footsteps. 

 

 And it was not Chanyeol's 

 

I froze, with the chopsticks in midair. I need to be as quiet as possible. The footsteps weren't going near to the kitchen to I'm safe. The footsteps was getting further and further away until I chocked on the food that was in my mouth.  

 

I uncontrollably coughed, surely attracting the intruder's attention. I stopped coughing, it dies down after I drank water. Only when I looked up from the mug did I notice a stranger, a man, looking right back at me with widened eyes. 

 

"Minhye?" He muttered in disbelief. I furrow my eyebrows as he stood still, still staring. "Is that you?" He asked but I did not answer. I can't. 

 

Chanyeol will kill me. 

 

And this time, another footsteps were heard and it was Chanyeol's.

 

I quickly put my head down, with my hair act as a curtain, covering my face. "What are you doing here?" A deep voice called out. "Oh, hyung-nim, I was just---" The man paused. "I didn’t know you had a sister." He said, unsurely though. 

 

"Do you not know that it's rude to go into someone's house without permission?" I had to stay still and attract no attention with my movements or whatsoever. "It's just that …" From the gaps of my hair I could see the said man glancing at me before sighing. "I just … I thought , she's someone else. Someone I know."  

 

"No, she's not." The tall guy said curtly but the latter continued. "But they look so alike … it's been years … or was it just my imaginations?" He meekly laughed. "This is what happens when you lost the one you love." He glanced at me once more, "It makes you go crazy." He muttered. 

 

I could see how Chanyeol gulped and literally cursed the younger guy out, kicking him outside of his house. 

 

When Chanyeol came back, tears were already streaming down my face, afraid of what to come. Afraid of what he would do to me. 

"Chan, I---" Unexpectedly though, he did the least expected, he hugged me.  

 

He buried his face into my hair, breathing in the sweet scent of my shampoo. I could really feel his nails, burying on my waist but I did not care as I returned the hug, as tight as he was. "Chanyeol?" 

 

"I thought I was going to lose you." He said, from his voice I could know that he was crying. "I won't. And I'll never." I cupped his face in my hands as I looked into his eyes. "You know that the best, right? I would never let go of you, or would I ever let you do so." And that came from the bottom of my heart. 

 

"This is why I don’t want you to interact or meet with people." He shook his head and pulled away from me. "It's not safe here, anymore. We need to move." My eyes rounded at the suggestion and straight away stood up after him. "What do you mean , move?" 

 

I followed him into my room as he started to pull out a luggage and put my clothes in it, carelessly. "Chanyeol? Park Chanyeol!" He was being panicky and out of control. That was so not him. 

 

"You're not safe, do you understand me! We need to move." He kept on muttering how 'they're going to find out' and 'I don’t want to lose you.' and something along those lines.  

 

I was extremely confused at the sudden change of attitude in my boyfriend but I kept my silence as I sat on my bed, watching him run around, packing up so that we could move on to our new house. 

 

 

I felt fear rising in my body as I sat on the passenger seat with my legs up, hugging a music box. The music that I've grown to hate was playing in the background as the little ballerina doll inside twirled around until the music stopped. 

 

I was having a massive headache. I've been trying to figure out why was Chanyeol being so weird … and freaky. It was just one guy and he said so himself that he has mistaken me for someone else. It's not like he would take me away from him or something. Plus, there's no reason he would, I have never seen him before in my whole life. There's absolutely no reason to. 

 

But something was bothering me ever since I met eyes with that man. He doesn’t seems familiar but he felt like it. He felt like someone I'd known my whole life. The warmth in his eyes, the dark brown pair of eyes, it felt familiar.  

 

'Minhye.' He muttered longingly at me earlier.  

 

I didn’t want to admit, but I nearly answered him, as if it was an automatic reaction of me to answer every time I was called out 'Minhye' , as if that was my name. 

 

I gave up on trying to find out what Chanyeol was hiding from me ages ago but this time I couldn’t keep still, especially when I know what to search for. 

I looked at Chanyeol as he intertwined his hand with mine, soothingly caressing the back of my hand. I stared at him suspiciously, he wouldn’t do that, right? 

 

He's not someone to kidnap people … right?