Chapter 2

Something in the Mist

I woke up and my eyes scanned my surroundings to only find myself wrapped under the duvet in my own room. Chanyeol must've picked me up and tucked me in.  

 

The second I realized where I was, it was then I noticed how quiet it was, eerily quiet. The silence does not usually bugs me since we live somewhere far from the city and the area is everything but loud.  

 

It's peaceful and cars rarely pass by our house. We've been living here for … I didn’t keep track on the years but I know that it's a very, very long time. Most of the residents in the area are old people and I rarely see any teenagers or kids running around the area. Maybe I rarely see them because I seldom come out of the house. But whatever, the main point is we are probably living in some deserted village at the end of the earth in a place that nobody knows. 

 

That's how quiet it can be around here. 

 

But this time, the quietness is making me nervous. There's something in the silence tells me nothing good is going to be happen.  

 

And nothing good did happen.  

 

I walked towards the door and tried to open it but it was locked. I tried to hear if Chanyeol had some guests coming over but it was quiet. I gulped and scrambled off to the bed, afraid of what's going to happen. 

 

The reasons why Chanyeol would lock me up in my room are ,  

 

1) he has friends over, but that's definitely not the case since I did not hear any unfamiliar voices outside. 

 

 2) the Ahjumma is outside, cleaning our house. but I doubt that's the reason why I'm locked up because it's almost midnight and the Ahjumma comes in the afternoon.  

 

3) he's mad at me. And that's more likely to be it. 

 

The sounds of footsteps made me cover myself under the sheets and shiver in fear. He's coming nearer and nearer and I heard a click. The door opened, allowing some light into my room. 

 

He's mad. He didn’t even make an effort to hide his anger. As soon as he came into my room, he glared at me and stomped his way until he stood right in front of me. 

 

"Chanyeolwha--." I tried to talk to him but he grabbed my hair and pulled me off the bed. "You lied." He said before throwing me off onto the floor. My head was pounding and I stayed on the floor as he pinned me down with his glare. 

 

"Guess what I found out." He  was drunk, I could smell it. He crouched down in front of me and grabbed my face so that I would face him. "Did you, or did you not go out of the house yesterday?" He tilted his head while waiting for my answer. 

 

I wanted to deny it but he spoke up again. "I'll hurt you if you lie again, Alana."  He used my full name and that meant he's furious-as if it's not obvious alreadyWords can't be spoken as if I was frozen. The bruise that I got yesterday were still there and it still hurts, he's making it hurt more by pressing his hands harder and harder by the second. "Chanyeol, it --- " I can't even talk properly and he became impatient.  

 

"You're not answering me." He let go of my face and stood up from the floor to close the door. I managed to step a few steps away from him but I had no where to run. He grabbed a handful of my hair and pushed me on the bed. 

 

"Did you or did you not go outside without my permission?" I was already crying by then and everything hurts so bad I just hoped everything will end quickly. 

 

"I … "I hesitated. "I was hungry and there was no food and I just ---." I gasped when I felt a sharp pain on my left cheek. He once again grabbed my face with one hand after slapping me, hard.  

 

"When did you go?" He asked, this time more calmly. "A-At night, before you came home. N-No one was there, the store was c-completely empty , I did not make any eye contact with the grandma there …" I kept on rambling until he sighed. 

 

"It's dangerous out there, Lana." The pressure he had on my face lessened. "I was not home, and it was night. Anything could've happen to you."  

 

"But there's nothing dangerous about this place." I argued but stopped. "Listen.to.me." He grit his teeth and every word he said were dripping with anger and frustration. "Tell me what you need and I'll buy them for you. Don’t go out of the house just simply because you're hungry. We have phones for a reason." 

 

He wiped away my tears and pulled me in for a hug. "I'm sorry, Yeol." I whispered and he rested his chin on my head, my hair. "You're making me worried, Lana. I hate that."  

 

"I know." I said even though I did not understand a single thing that he make me do. He's literally keeping me out from the whole human kind. 'It's dangerous.' He says every time and I know that’s not the reason why.  There's something that he's hiding away from me. 

 

I knew it from a long time ago that I have been suspicious about all of this and I care, I do want to find out, I do want him to let me go out to see the world whenever I want to, I want to do those things that normal teens do .. but I can't. I would've done it if I can ages ago.  

 

It has come to the point where I don’t even give a anymore. Chanyeol's all that I have got and all that I need. I just need to keep myself away from things that makes him mad and we'll live a happy life. 

 

 

 

The next morning I was woken up feeling my face being dabbed with a wet cloth. As expected, Chanyeol was holding a white towel in his hands -wait is that blood?- He was dabbing my face, the blood was probably from yesterday's incident. 

 

He brushed the strands of hair away from my face and my left cheek. The bruise was getting worse, I can feel it. He simply touched my cheek and I could already feel a sharp pain.  

 

"Go back to sleep. I'm almost done." He said and I did as he told.  Chanyeol was still mad and I'm smart enough to not do anything that'll make him more angry.