Prologue

Something in the Mist

With the amount of light in the room, I almost could not see anything inside of  the room and everything seemed to be in black and grey in color. Everything were blurry and I took seconds to figure out my surroundings. 

 

My ears perked up the voices, unfamiliar voices from outside of the room. With careful and slow steps, I walked towards the door in hope that I could at least go out and see whose voices it belong to but as expected, it was locked.  

 

Of course he would lock it. I sighed and leaned against the door. I pulled my legs close to my chest and rest my head on top of my knees.From hearing how loud their voices were and the sounds of glasses clinking, I could easily know they were drinking.  

 

A small smile crept up on my face as I heard a familiar laughter that I love. As soon as the smile disappeared though, a tear fell, replacing the small happiness inside me with sadness. When was the last time I hear him laugh as sincere as that? When was the last time I laughed as sincere as that? 

 

I didn’t realize how much time passed with me sitting there, crouching in front of the door, drowning in my own sorrow. It was when I noticed that it was dead silent that immediately scrambled up and tried my hard  to go under the duvets as fast as possible. 

 

I could hear his footsteps, getting louder and louder. Even if there was a thousand people walking outside, I could easily pick out which one is his. His footsteps are the sound that I fear the most. The sounds of keys hitting each other makes my heart pounds a hundred times faster, if that was even possible.  

 

The door clicked open and I stiffened under the covers. His weight pushed down the mattress slightly as he sat down right next to where I was lying down. 

 

 I felt his fingers traced my forehead down to my nose and he stopped right under my bottom lip. He brushed off the strands of hair from my face with his other hand and I felt his breath not that far from my lips. I tried hard not to scrunch at the smell of the alcohol. 

 

"Oh, you're home?" I asked nonchalantly just right when his lips barely touched mine.  

 

He smiled and pecked my forehead instead. "You're already up? Go to sleep, baby. It's still early." 

 

"It's fine. I could just use the time to make you breakfast." I tried to sit up but he held me down. "You don't need to do that. Rest, hmm?"  

 

I don’t even need rest. I've gotten as much rest I needed when he locked me in this room for hours. "I need to clean up and--" He grabbed my face with his right hand and clenched his teeth. I gasped and tried hard to avoid from looking into his eyes. It sends shivers down my spine.  

 

"Are you disobeying me, honey? I said, sleep." Not wanting to add oil into the already burning fire, I obediently lay down and he sweetly smiled while pulling the duvets up to my chest. 

 

He leaned down to give me a kiss. It was unavoidable this time and I let him do so. "I'll wake you up for breakfast, hmm?"  

 

As usual, before leaving me, he turned to the nightstand beside my bed and opened a pretty pink box. He turned the spring and right after he stopped ,a  song I've grown to hate started playing in the background .From where I was laying I could see a small doll turning around in the music box. 

 

"Goodnight." He whispered before closing the door, leaving me all alone in the darkness again.