Chapter 2

To Ignore the Heart's Cry

 

[Park Shin Hye’s P.O.V.]

It was closing time and everyone was running hectic getting ready for the incoming guests. At this time the café was gleaming with shimmery lights. Freshly roasted coffee and baked sweets that just come out of the oven lingered in the air. Then the front door swung out, our special guest and his band marched in. Of course as the manager, I had to do the honor of showing them to their reserved section.

I sighed as I walked up to them, “Good evening Mister… Lee.”

“Oh just call me Gi Kwang noona,” he smiled.

At least the kid had matters, I thought. Noona? Do I really look that old? Noona…
“Well then come this way Gi Kwang… and the band,” I finally got back to reality.

“He’s so respectful!” the waitresses giggled. I gave them a quick glare and they got back to their business immediately.

The rest of the band went to set up on stage while Gi Kwang was tuning his guitar.
Seems like my job is done for the night. I thought I’d call Geun Young to see if she was heading over yet. Soon as I stepped out to the back entrance, a black Hummer pulled up. Geun Young stepped out of her car and started looking around the employee parking lot.  “What are you looking for Geun Young?” I crossed my arms just observing her.

“Hun… where’s your car?” she had a confused look on her face.

“Oh my car? I let Yong Hwa borrow it.”

“WHAT?!” she freaked out, “How can you trust that guy with your new car?!”

Then I wondered to myself. I can’t believe I let Yong Hwa borrow my car. Why did I let him borrow it again…?

[Park Shin Hye’s Flashback]
“Please please please?” he stopped massaging me, went round to the front of the couch, got on his knees, and grabbed my hand that was resting on the arm rest.

“There is no way in hell I’m trusting you with my car, end of discussion,” I responded and yanked my hand away.

As I was about to get up and leave he grabbed onto my legs, “Shin Hye please!”

“Why the hell do you want my car so bad,” I raised my voice.

“Because…” he hesitated.

“What!”

“I have a date today and I told the girl I had a Lamborghini and now I have to show up with a Lamborghini tonight! Please save me!”

I couldn’t hold it in, I bursted out laughing so hard I lost my balance and tumbled on top of him who was still hold onto my leg. After I managed to get back on my two feet and laughed my way to my handbag with him following behind me say “Noona please! Noona!” I reached into my handbag, grabbed my car key and threw it to him; still unable to control my laugher.

He grabbed hold of the car key then ran to me and put his arms around me, kissing me uncontrollably on the cheeks saying “Thank you, thank you, noona! I love you!” Then ran for the car.

“Yeah and if I find even a little speck of dust on my car, I’ll come for your head Yong Hwa!” I yelled after him.
[End of Flashback]

Oh yeah so that’s what happened, I thought to myself. Then I noticed Geun Young staring at me curiously.

[Moon Geun Young’s P.O.V.]

I stared at Shin Hye curiously. I wonder what she’s think about; she always blacks out like this, completely in her own little whacked world.

“What?!”

“No-nothing,” I responded abruptly. “We going in or not?”

Shin Hye held the door open for me to go in. Of course, I always came in through the back kitchen door, so as soon as I stepped into the busy kitchen, my nose was intoxicated by the strong smell of coffee… and I loved it!

“Hey Geun Young,” Mr. Kim called out to me. I know there are many people with the last name Kim but Mr. Kim is the only person who I’ll address to as that. Mr. Kim is a baker at DejaVu Café; I heard he’s been working here for almost thirty years. No wonder why he has such amazing skills. He’s so loving, like a father I never had, I smiled at the thought.

“Quit your goofy smiling silly girl and come give me a hand,” he said with a brilliant warm smile.

“Yes sir!” I laughed and hurried to him.

“Geun Young, don’t get into trouble. I’m gonna go out and greet the guests now,” Shin Hye exited the kitchen.

“Yeah yeah,” I mocked, make Mr. Kim laugh. Shin Hye always treats me like a little kid, and it’s funny because I’m older than her… ok maybe not. I wouldn’t know because… we were abandoned! Nevertheless, we do celebrate our fake birthday on the day we first met each other.

----------

[Park Shin Hye’s P.O.V]

After leaving the kitchen, I noticed people started to pile into the café. Two waiters were at the front door collecting tickets and the rest were seating people. Then I looked through the glass of the café and saw a photographer taking pictures into the café. He pointed his lens at me and for the second the flash nearly blinded me. Immediately, I pulled over one of the waiters.  “Tell that photographer out front to leave. He’s not allowed to take pictures without permission.”

“Yes ma’am,” the waiter hurried outside.

Minutes later, the waiter came back to me with the photographer behind him.

“I told you to tell him to go away, not invite him in,” I scoffed.

“He says he’s the photographer for the culinary arts magazine. Remember? The one whose suppose to feature us in their new article next month.” The waiter explained.

“Oh yeah,” I finally remembered Yong Hwa telling me something about this. “I apologize,” I directed it towards the photographer.

“No problem,” he smiled. “By the way, my name’s Kim Hyun Joong; I’ll be coming in and out the next week for snapshots of the famous DeJaVu Café.”

“Oh well then be my guest Hyun Joong. But the kitchen is restricted today due to the commotion.”

“Okay, I understand. Now if you’ll excuse me,” he said and went off taking pictures of… everything.

By this time, most of the guests were settled into their seats and the host started making his way to the stage.

----------

[Moon Geun Young’s P.O.V.]

“Geun Young, can you do me a big favor?” Mr. Kim turned to me.

“Huh? What?”

“Everyone’s a bit busy at the moment; could you please bring this order to table 4?” Mr. Kim asked, handing me a tray with coffees, parfaits, and fried ice creams on it.

“Uh sure…” I hesitantly took the tray and left the kitchen. I really hated doing these kinds of things, I thought. However, since it was Mr. Kim who asked. I couldn’t refuse. I looked around and caught sight of table 4, but before I could even take another step, Shin Hye stopped in front of me.

“What the hell are you doing out here?” she scolded.

“Can’t you see,” I lifted the tray to her face.

She sighed, “Give it to me, I’ll do it.”
Before she even touched the tray, someone called out to her. “Manager! Come here.” One of the waiters at the front door seems to be having some trouble.

“Coming!” she replied. She looked at the piece of paper on the tray that said ‘Table 4’. “Table 4?!... Take the order there and don’t mess it up,” she rolled her eyes and ran to the front door.

What’s her problem, I thought. “It’s just table 4,” I murmured to myself as I made my way to the table.
As soon as I got to table 4 my body froze. At the table sat a girl and three guys, and one of the guys was…

The familiar looking guy looked up at me, “Hey!” he said surprised. “You’re that uh… what’s your name?... Miss Moon from the museum earlier today,” he exclaimed.

“What are you doing here kid?” I asked annoyed as I placed their order from the tray to the table. “Didn’t your friend cause me enough trouble today?” I looked up at him.

“What else would Gi Kwang be doing here lady?” The girl sitting at the table rudely interrupted, “of course to perform to-“

I gave the rude girl a death glare and made her shut up. She just took her coffee, sat back and quietly sipped on her drink. How dare she call me lady? If anything, this chick looked older than I did!

The Gi Kwang kid chuckled, “Like my friend said, I’m here to perform tonight,” he smiled. “Wow, you work at the museum and a café Miss Moon?”

“I don’t work here,” I said coldly. I still couldn’t get over the fact that his friend almost gave me a heart attack earlier today.

He looked me up and down then laughed, “If you say so Miss Moon, but sure looks like you work here.”

I was wearing an apron, holding a tray, and I’d just delivered his order. I guess the kid had a point. “Whatever kid,” I brushed it off and walked to Shin Hye who was standing on the opposite wall of the stage.

“What took you so long?” Shin Hye questioned.

“Don’t ask,” I replied. At that moment the host introduced, “Please put your hands together for the one and only Lee Gi Kwang!” Then a round of applauses filled the café from 1st to 2nd floor. “Have you ever even heard of this kid Shin Hye?” I turned to Shin Hye.

“Well not really but since the event was planned, I heard the employees talking about how he’s on his way to fame after he graduates college or something like that.” Shin Hye looked at me than back on the stage.

When I looked back on stage, Gi Kwang was settled on a stool with a guitar in his hands. Then he adjusted the microphone and started to talk, “How’s everyone tonight?” “Good!” the crowd screamed. “Oh? That’s good,” he smiled. What a cheesy nut head I thought. “I’d like to thank everyone for coming out here tonight. So the first song I’m gonna be singing is an original song I wrote not too long ago and it’s called ‘At First Sight’. Also… I’d like to dedicate this song to someone who told my breath away today.” The crowd of crazy teenagers now went wild. Gi Kwang gave a shy smile and continued talking, “I’m not really sure how I should address this person but I’ll just call her Miss Moon,” that Gi Kwang kid now looked straight at me and so did Shin Hye. Then he began to sing.

“Why was he looking at you? What the hell did you do?” Shin Hye nagged me in the arm. “Miss Moon?”

“Me?! What?! I didn’t do anything! He’s crazy!” I responded. My head seemed to be spinning in circles now. Was this kid trying to play jokes on me now? Why am I so unfortunately to encounter such ridiculous people? I think I’m going insane! I closed my eyes and patted my head hoping this Saturday madness would just end.