Chapter 1

To Ignore the Heart's Cry

 

[Moon Geun-Young’s P.O.V.]

“Geun-Young, wake up!!!”

I heard a painful scream echoing through my head. I jerked my eyes open to see Shin Hye running hectically around my room.

“Where’s my other heel Geun-Young?” she looked towards me with those piercing devilish eyes. “Where is it?! Where is it?!” she screamed again.

It took me awhile to process what she was saying. I was definitely not a morning person. My eyes were starting to burn from the morning sun and my body was still asleep; somehow I managed to lift my arms up and point at the missing heel that was sitting on top of my messy make-up table. Then my eyes began to seal shut again.

“No wonders why I couldn’t find it,” Shin Hye sighed. “You need to clean up that mess of a table.”

I pushed her remark aside, “Why are you up so early anyways?”

“I told you already; I have to get to the café early today to set up for tonight’s performance.” Shin Hye slipped on the other heel and exited my room.

“Performance?” I murmured to myself.  “What performance?” I yelled out to her.

“If you come tonight, you’ll find out. You better get up in 15 minutes or you’ll be late for work,” she yelled back and I heard the front door slam shut.

I buried my face in the first pillow my weary hands grabbed hold of.
Park Shin Hye, the girl’s like a sister to me; she’s the only person that even came close to a family. We were both abandoned on the same night and grew up together at a foster home. We went to pre-school together, kindergarten, elementary, high school, and even college. Shin Hye was a psychology major in college and I majored in fine arts. After college we never really persuaded our careers. Instead, she works as  a manager at a cute little café, and I just work at an art museum, and at night we both hit the club as bartenders. We’re simple, and that’s how we connect.

[Park Shin Hye’s P.O.V.]

I hurried towards the elevator and took it down to the parking lot. I paced to my yellow Lamborghini, then I noticed Geun- Young’s black Hummer parked on the opposite side. Looking back at my car, I still can’t believe I let Geun-Young talk me into get a yellow car. Sometimes I think her creativity gets a little over her head. Brushing the thought aside I quickly jumped into my car and drive to the exit of the parking lot.

----------

As soon as I got out of the car, I caught sight of Jung Yong Hwa. He was leaning against the marble wall of the café building with a cigarette between his fingers.

“That stuff’s bad for your health hun,” I smiled at him.

“When I die you’ll know mom,” he said sarcastically, then chuckled.

I closed my car door and walked towards him.

I heard him stuck air in through his teeth, “Damn.”

“What?” I looked at him with curious eyes.

He threw his cigarette on the floor then put it out with his foot. Next thing I knew, he ran towards my car and started hugging and rubbing it. “It’s so y,” he said dreamingly.

I rounded my eyes at him, “You do this every morning Yong Hwa.” I walked into the café and heard him laughing hysterically outside.
“Idiot,” I smiled to myself.

----------

[Moon Geun Young’s P.O.V.]

It was Saturday morning and I really wasn’t too happy to be at work I thought to myself as I stepped into the elevator.

“Geun Young, hold the door!” one of my coworkers, Kim Moon Joo, was running for the closing elevator door.  Jeez, it’s early in the morning and everyone’s just screaming my name. I pretended I didn’t hear her and turned my head away.

“Ouch!” she had stopped the door from closing with her foot and quickly stepped in. “Really?” she asked glaring at me.

“What?” I responded in an annoyed voice.

“You couldn’t have held the door for me?”

“Ma bad.”

I noticed a stupid smirk form across Moon Joo’s face, “Yeah your bad. Good luck today,” she chuckled as the elevator doors opened, “you’re gonna need it.” Then she left, leaving me a bit dumbfounded.  I  followed behind her into the research area.

“Geun Young.” My manager came up from behind.

“Huh?”

“There’s gonna be a group of college students coming in to study the new artifacts that just got shipped in yesterday.”

“But they’re not on display yet,” I responded.

“I know, that’s why they’re gonna be in here,” he smiled.

“What?! It’s Saturday, why are there students here anyways?” I raised my voice.

“I don’t know but what I do know is that you’re in charge.” He patted my shoulder and left.

“I told you you’re gonna need some lucky today,” Moon Joo laughed. “I heard they’re really obnoxious,” and with that she exited as well.

“What a drag,” I managed to say, patted my forehead repeatedly.

----------

[Park Shin Hye’s P.O.V.]

It was 7:00am ; I looked at my cell phone then slipped it back into my blazer packet. The café had its daily Saturday routine where regular customers come in and out for their morning coffees. College students, couples, business people with their laptops, and stuck up girls who always travel in groups; at the DejaVu Café, we had it all.
Most of the employees, which have been double for today’s special event, were working on stage prop, lighting, and sound system. As for me, my job was to just hang around looking like I’m doing something until 7:00pm to open up the event. This is why I love working at the DejaVu Café, I get paid to do nothing, unless a special event happens. Every few months we have people renting out our entire place; even though the café could only hold around 100 people, it’s very cozy and everyone likes it for its homey feel. Events would include comedian nights, auctions, and mostly well-known musicians and bands. 100 tickets are usually auctioned off online or something, and when the day comes, this place is filled with people who have nothing better to do with their money. I sighed at the thought of the upcoming commotion tonight and sunk down on a couch next to me.

“I know, I can’t believe how lucky we are,” squealed one of the girls with a high-pitched voice who was prepping the stage.

“I heard he’s really cute,” the other one closed her eye dreamingly.

“We get to see him perform before he even becomes a real celebrity,” another joined in.

“And for free!” the high-pitched voice girl added.

Who hired these high school girls anyways I thought to myself. Then I felt hands massaging my two shoulders. I looked back and saw Yong Hwa.

He smiled down at me, “Why so tense noona?”

I turned my head back, rested my head on the couch, and closed my eyes enjoying my massage while it lasted. “What do you want?” I asked.

“What do you mean?” he said innocently.

“You really think I’d believe you’d give me a free massage just because?”

“Nothing ever gets pasted you huh?” he chuckled.

“What do you want?” I said again.

“Okay, promise you won’t yell?”

I kept silent. I wonder what this kid’s up to.

He continued, “Can I borrow your car?”

“Absolutely not,” I replied simply.

“Please please please?” he stopped massaging me, went round to the front of the couch, got on his knees, and grabbed my hand that was resting on the arm rest.

“There is no way in hell I’m trusting you with my car, end of discussion,” I responded and yanked my hand away.

----------

[Moon Geun Young’s P.O.V.]

It was about noontime as I heard loud chattering coming toward the research area where I was study a piece of painting. I lifted my head to see the glass door slide open and 24 students and a teacher from The Arts College rampaged into the room.
After the teacher had settled them down, they started roaming the research areas examining the artifacts and taking notes, well some of them.

The teacher walked up to me. He was a tall and looked to be a well-rounded guy about thirty years old? He smiled at me, “I know what you’re thinking. Classes on Saturday right?”

“Yeah,” I replied.

“I had them give up their weekend to do a final research paper,” he laughed.

“You’re terrible,” I joined him.

“Well they’re all yours for the moment. I’ll be back in 3 hours,” he said.

“Oh joy,” I said sarcastically.

He laughed again and turned around to leave.

I looked back at the students with lazy eyes and sighed. Suddenly I noticed one of the guys heading towards the vase that was set on a stand with no protected glass! My instincts told me right at that moment that this guy was up to no good. I quickly dashed towards him but it was too late, he’d already picked up the vase that was covered in a slimy substance for testing. He was laughing and joking with the vase over his head and didn’t notice it slipping out of his hands. “Oh no!” I leaped towards the 350,000,000 won vase that was now freefalling from the guy’s hands. Everything seemed to have moved slower but there was no way I could catch that vase. I shut my eyes and my hands just randomly swung for the vase, then the room grew silent. My eyes were still closed and my hands were definitely not touching a slimy vase but another pair of hands. I opened my eyes to see one of the students directly in front of me with the vase in his hands and my hands on his hands. I let out a relief sigh knowing that that vase was secure in the student’s sturdy hands and sat flat on my , patting on my forehead while I watched the student put the vase safely back on the stand.

 Then he walked up to me and bent down to my level, “Hey miss… uh…” he looked at the nametag secured to my shirt, “Moon… Miss Moon, are you okay?” he smiled.

I ignored his question and turned to the rotten guy who almost destroyed a 350,000,000 won vase. I pointed at him, “Yo kid! YOU WANNA DIE?!”

“Sorry I didn’t know,” he scratched his head.

I stood up, walked up to him and asked, “Are you not in collage?”

He gave me a stupid look, “Of course I am.”

“Then why can’t you read?” I turned to the vase and pointed at the sign pinned to the stand that read ‘DO NOT TOUCH’ and big bold red letters, “It says do not touch you moron!”

The whole class bursted out laughing. The student who saved the vase walked up to his colleague and spoke up for his embarrassed and speechless friend, “Please, forgive him. He’s not the brightest person around,” the savor smile brightly.

I was starting to be tired of being so worked up because of some stupid college students so I just turned around and walked back to my desk with a grim look on my face.