Chapter 3

To Ignore the Heart's Cry

 

[Park Shin Hye’s P.O.V.]

The event at DeJaVu Café ended at around 11 o’clock. I waved the employees goodnight and walked to the Hummer where Geun Young was waiting for me. As soon as I opened the door the radio boomed into my ears and for a second I thought I’d went deaf. I quietly hopped in the car and turned off the radio, “Are you crazy?! You want to break my eardrums?” I glared at Geun Young who was now pulling out of the parking lot.

She only ignored me and switched the radio back on.

At that moment I wanted to smash her head against the stirring wheel but instead I just reached to turn the radio off again.

Before I could even touch the ‘off button’ she took one of her hands off the stirring wheels and grabbed onto my wrist, preventing me from proceeding with turning off the unbearable music. “What?!” I yelled.

Again she ignored me. She freed my wrist and turned down the music herself. Didn’t turn it off, just down.

“What’s wrong with you Geun Young? Have you been getting high?” I questioned.

I noticed her look at me from the corners of her eyes then concentrating back on the road. “I’m just tired alright. Can you just shut up and let me drive?” she sighed.

I rolled my eyes and looked out the window. Such a when she’s grumpy. I wonder if that Gi Kwang had anything to do with bringing down her mood… oh yeah! It must be that Gi Kwang kid I thought. I looked over at her and smirked. I tried to put the pieces together in my head, so this kid dedicated a song to Geun Young… a love song… someone actually likes her? Of all the girls in Korean, this talented little pretty boy likes… “You!” I said out loud and pointed at Geun Young’s face causing her body to jerk by surprise.

“What the hell is wrong with you, I’m trying to drive.” Geun Young slapped my hand away from her face. “I swear sometimes I think that little world of yours in your little mind is gonna get us both killed one day.”

Having someone like Geun Young scowl at me make me feel so... inferior, I thought and sunk low into my sit.
I fell asleep through the rest of the ride.

“We’re here.”

I slowly opened my eyes to catch Geun Young get out of the car. Rubbing my eyes, I got out of the car after her and followed her into job number 2.

I looked at Geun Young, she seemed usually tired today
I felt quite tired myself; had a rough day today to actually fall asleep in the car. Usually when Geun Young’s driving I’d be wide awake to hold on to dear life and yell at her to slow down. I guess the crazy fan girls at the event earlier really shook me up a bit. I looked at the entrance of job number 2. The bright dazzling light on top of the entrance read ‘Chaos Night Club’, sounds peaceful and friendly doesn’t it? The entrance was filled with people; groups of guys who are trying to hit up some bitties for the night, and groups of girls that are trying to get all the attention. There was way more people today because it’s a Saturday night and everyone wants to get ed up. Me and Geun Young both knew there was no way we were gonna get in through the front so we decided to take the back door. As soon as I walked into the club, I felt the music embrace my body, not like the music in the car that was bashing my ears. My energy seemed to slowly come back to me.
Me and Geun Young headed to the locker room and changed into our uniforms; black short shorts, white beater, black vest, and red heels. Whoever came up with this uniform was obviously a guy. Oh well, at least it makes my legs look nice.

“Does this make my look big,” Geun Young turned to look at her behind.

“What ?” I laughed.

“Haha you’re funny,” she said sarcastically and walked out.

I walked out minutes later after tying my hair into a ponytail. I came to the bar and saw Geun Young already mixing drinks.

“Kamikaze and Dirty Martini for my friend,” two guys walked up and sat at the stools at the bar.

“Kamikaze and Dirty Martini!” Geun Young  called out to me.

“Gentlemen,” I came with their drinks minutes later and placed the Kamikaze down on the counter. I was about to do the same to the other drink until one of the guys reached out for it and grabbed my hand as well.

“Thanks gorgeous,” the guy winked at me.

I was ready to vomit in my mouth but I held it in and only forced a smile at him.

He still didn’t let go of my hand and now his friend next to him was laughing hysterically.

I hate crowded Saturdays that bring in erted bastards.

Then Geun Young walked up to me. “Sir, my friend here really has to serve other customers as well, so if you don’t mind letting go of her.” I heard anger in her voice.

“But she hasn’t finished serving me yet,” he smiled over at me, making me want to punch him in the face.

Geun Young gave a devilish smile which warned me to end this quickly before she does. I moved my hand that was still holding onto the drink, slashing the content in the glass onto the guy’s face causing him to back away and fall out of his stool. Everyone who witnessed the scene bursted out into laugher.

“You !” the guy got up off the floor and immediately security rushed in and dragged the guy out of the club leaving his friend sitting there stunned.

“Dirty bastard,” Geun Young smirked. “Good job Shin Hye,” she patted me on the back and got back to work.

Things like that were so normal at places like this that everyone just brushed it off and got back to what they were doing.

----------

[Moon Geun Young’s P.O.V.]

It was almost 2am when I looked at my cell phone; the club was still packed though, the dance floor filled with people. I turned around and leaned my elbows on the counter with my back facing the dance floor. Looking to my right and saw Shin Hye chatting with the manager of the club… more like flirting, I laughed to myself.

“Perfect Pour please,” someone called from behind me.

It was definitely a guys voice, sounds quite familiar too. It’s rare to heard a guy actually say ‘please’ now a days. I turned around to see who it was but I couldn’t identify his face because we were so close. Our faces were only inches away from each other. As we both moved our faces away…

“Moon!”

Oh god, I thought to myself and quickly turned away, heading to make the Perfect Pour. I hoped that when I turned back around a different person would appear before me. But of course that didn’t happen. I turned back around to find him with his arms and on the counter and his head resting on his arms just smiling at me. “Your Perfect Pour,” I placed the glass down in front of him and he straightened up… still smiling at me.

“Why?” I glared at him.

“Huh?”

“Why are you like a little leech? First the art museum than the café and now here.”

Gi Kwang shrugged, “Fate?” he took a sip of his drink.

I crossed my arms over my chest, “You’re kidding right?” If I wasn’t me, for a moment I would think this kid was dead serious I thought to myself.

“Don’t you believe in love at first sight Geun Young?” he smiled sweetly.

“How’d you find out my name?”

“I just asked one of the waitresses at the café. Don’t change the subject now Geun Young.”

A smile slowly grew on my face. I got you now you little pop star I thought as I caught sight of what I was looking for. “No I don’t believe in love at first sight, but you know what I don’t believe in?” I asked

I saw confusion show up on his face. I leaned in closer to him with the counter between us , “I believe in games, or in this case, bets,” I smiled.

His face grew pale like a ghost, “What do you mean?” he tried to force calmness in his voice.

“Just a little to your left on the second floor, there’s a group of people joking, laughing, observing,” I moved away from him now. “I use to be in college too kid. I use to love betting money too,” I chuckled.

I started to notice color coming back to his face, “Ok, you got me,” he smiled. “ Right after the guys saw you in the museum, they were talking about how hot you were-”

I eyed him.

“-yeah. So they were talking and one of them came up with the idea of betting money on who could get you. And-” he paused.

“And?” I asked.

“6,000,000 won to the one who could get you in bed,” he said quickly in one breath then buried his face in his hands.

It was as though my brains couldn’t quite process what him just said but after a moment of silence from both of us I bursted out into laugher. I laughed so hard I fell on the floor.

“You are ok?” Gi Kwang leaned over the counter and looked at me holding onto my stomach on the floor.

“I- ow- uh- oh- my-” I tried to get the words out but couldn’t control my laugher.

Finally, I calmed down using the counter to support my body off the floor. “So who are the other idiots in the bet?” I managed to say.

“Well one of them was from this morning, Yang Yoseob, you know the one who touched the vase.”

“Seriously?”

“Yeah well he kinda just gave up after what happened at the museum.”

“At least he has some brains. And the other one?”

“The other one is Yong Jun Hyung, he wasn’t at the museum today but he was at the café with me.”

“No idea who you’re talking about. Guess it doesn’t really matter anyways.” I shrugged. “Go back to your friends and tell them I already know so don’t come bugging me.”

“No!”

“What?”

“I can’t do that or else I’ll be fined 6,000,000 won for telling,” he cried.

“So basically, the only way I can make sure those pests you call friends don’t bother me is if I… sleep with you and let you win?”

“Yeah!” he scratched his head, “I mean… huh?!”

I laughed, “Oh Gi Kwang, I’ll sleep with you when pigs fly,” I smiled and patted his cheek causing him to turn bright red. I looked at my cell phone, “Oh look, my shift’s done. Night lover boy,” I winked at Gi Kwang and walked away.

“Wait. Is that a promise?” he called after me.

This kid really is a clown, I thought, “I guess it is,” I replied and disappeared into the crowd.

----------

[Park Shin Hye’s P.O.V.]

We finally got back to our condo. “Long day,” I yawned as I took off my heels.

Geun Young on the other hand, kicked her heels off spending it flying onto the coffee table spilling a pile of magazines on the floor. “Very long.”

“You’re gonna clean that up right?” I walked to the kitchen to grabbed a bottle of wine from the frig and a stemware glass.

“I’ll think about it,” she threw herself on the couch.

I headed over to my ball chair by the curtains and settle down with my wine. Then I picked up the remote on the chair and clicked ‘open’, the curtains automatically flung open revealing the huge window at showed the entire city.  One of the things that Geun Young didn’t drown out in her creativity was choosing this penthouse condo that had the perfect view over the city lights. A lot pricier than other places we’ve stayed before, but money’s not a problem for two girls who have high paying jobs and no family to worry about. It sounds almost perfect. I sipped on my whine then looked over at Geun Young who was now fast asleep on the couch. “Geun Young!”

“Huh? What?” she sat up immediately. “What’s today?”

“Sunday” I replied in awe.

“No work? No work.” She answered her own question.

“Yeah no work. Go feed the snakes,” I demanded.

She got up and walked to the cage with her eyes still closed. Oh my, this girl is sleep walking.
I shook my head. Not at her sleep walking but at the thought of having pet snakes. Of all the animals to have as pets. We could’ve gotten a puppy or something like that, but nooo it had to be snakes. Really big snakes, I shivered at the thought. And I just remembered it was my turn to take the snakes to the vet for their routine check up at 9am. I looked at the clock, 3:30am, I have a few more hours I sighed.