The Story of Lee Jieun's Life.

Because It's You

 

 

It was a breezy evening. A pretty lady wearing a baby blue floral dress matched with white cardigan casually strolled down the street with a cute, small poodle dog leading her way. Little Miss Perfect, you can call her that. She was pretty, smart, kind, polite, down-to-earth...well, you name it all. She had a reputation of ‘mom’s best friend’s daughter who you don’t want to be compared to...ever’. She was ahjummas’ and ahjusshis’ favorite girl. They even started scouting her as their potential daughter-in-law when she was a kid. She was popular among boys as well, receiving confessions here and there. However, she turned down everyone politely, stating firmly that she wasn’t ready. Well, that wasn’t the only reason.....

 

Today was a very special day to her. She had to make sure that everything went well according to the original plan. From A to Z, she had it all planned carefully so that everything will be perfect. Her cute dog barked when they finally reached at a familiar apartment. She hushed her dog, taking it in her arms as she punched in the familiar security code of his apartment. She had them memorize ever since the first day he moved into the apartment, which was about two years ago. She quietly went straight to his bedroom, knowing very well that he would be there. Tsk typical sleepy-head, he must be sleeping at this hour. That guy can sleep for the whole day on weekends. And she was right...as soon as she entered his room, she found him snoring under his blanket. The girl can only shook her head watching him sleeping like a lazy koala. Hey, koala was indeed lazy. And cute, mind you.

 

“Okay myungmyung, do your job now.”

 

The girl cheekily grinned at her dog before she put him down on the bed where a certain clueless guy was sleeping like there’s no tomorrow.

 

* *

 

The guy started to stir when he felt something wet on his face.

 

“Ugh stop.”

 

He muttered groggily, feeling pissed by the sudden interruption. He was having the best moment in his life. Who the heck was daring enough to interrupt him at this hour?

 

“I said stop!”

 

He finally snapped and opened his eyes when the interruption didn’t stop.

 

“KYAAAAAAAAAAAAA  HOLY TAKE AWAY THIS DISGUSTING THING FROM ME!!!!”

 

He screamed loudly, scooting away from the dog as soon as he opened his eyes only to notice the dog was his gorgeous face. That was when a familiar addictive laughter rang throughout the room, snapping Myungsoo out of his sissy moment. He shot a glare at the familiar girl standing not far away from his bed. She was having her good time laughing at him.

 

“Lee Jieun!”

 

He murderously growled. If looks could kill, the girl would be so dead by now.

 

“Oh God Kim Myungsoo, you should have seen your face just now. It was epic!”

 

Jieun continued to laugh hysterically, clutching her tummy that started to ache due to excessive laughter. Not that she minded though. It was one of those rare moments to witness Kim Myungsoo acted out of his normal, cool and cold façade. She regretted not taking a video of that epic moment so that she can use it to black mail him later. That would be great.

 

“Stop laughing midget. Now take this thing away from me before I personally flush it down the toilet.”

 

Jieun toned down her laughter as she quickly took her dog away from the murderous Myungsoo. She patted her dog’s head affectionally as the dog comfortably rest in her arms.

 

“Aww Myungsoo, don’t be so mean...myungmyung loves you to. Right, myungmyung?”

 

She grinned at her dog as it curled into a ball cutely in her arms. She innocently smiled at Myungsoo when she noticed he was glaring at her dog. Tsk this guy had such a bad temper. Even though Myungsoo disliked dogs, she knew he won’t have the guts to hurt her ‘myungmyung’ though. After all he was the reason why ‘myungmyung’ was still with her until now.

 

“Ugh stop calling that thing myungmyung. How dare you associated my glorious name to that thing? That is such an insult.”

 

Myungsoo huffed in annoyance. It completely pissed him off when Jieun told him that she gave her dog that name because she thought her dog resembled him a lot. Like seriously? That girl had a serious problem with her eyes, Myungsoo thought.

 

“And how dare you said that. You should be honored that I picked your lowly name for my cute myungmyung.”

 

“That ugly dog ugh. Stop bringing it here. I swear if you did that one more time, I will flush that thing down the toilet or drown it in the bathtub or put it into a moving washing machine or---------”

 

The pissed off Myungsoo continued blabbered while ruffling his hair in frustration. Jieun smiled at his exaggerated outburst. She knew he hated it when someone interrupted his sleep and he will blabber non-stop when he didn’t get enough sleep. Not having enough sleep? Yeah right, he spent half of the day sleeping and he was still sleepy? Talk about being lazy.

 

Jieun watched as he yawned cutely, ruffling his already tousled hair. His voice still sounded sleepy and hoarse as he continued blabbering about her myungmyung, yet it sounded y in her ears. Jieun can’t help but admire his morning-supposed-to-be-evening look...he looked so cute and innocent blabbering like that. She already saw him in that look so many times as she was used to barge into his room, forcing him to wake up yet it still gave her a tingly feeling. She blushed hard when he suddenly removed the blanket from his body, revealing him in his black wife beater and...boxer. That boxer gave her a shock since Myungsoo usually wore a loose pant went he slept. Jieun quickly went towards the window, pretending to be busy removing the curtains out of sunlight’s way when Myungsoo left his bed to grab a glass of water on a table near his bed, unaware about the fact that he was wearing a boxer in front of this shy shy girl. Oh the nerve of this guy. He wasn’t fully out of his sleepy state yet. And Jieun had to stay in front of the window for quite some time, praying that the blush on her face would disappear quickly as she breathed in and out simultaneously. Lee Jieun was so embarrassed right now, mind you. And if you still didn’t have any clue why she was behaving like this...

 

YES, she was in love with the guy wearing a boxer in front of her right now, her ex-enemy aka best friend since middle school aka Kim Myungsoo.

 

Jieun was still busy trying to calm down, her back facing Myungsoo when the clueless guy finally noticed that he was wearing a boxer. He spat his drink as he saw his reflection in the vanity mirror.

 

 

He chanted in his head as he quickly grabbed a loose pant nearby and shoved his legs in it, pulling it up to his waist in a split second. If there was any competition of ‘who could wear a pant the fastest’, Kim Myungsoo could easily win it with this record. He took a glance at Jieun’s back, hoping that she didn’t notice him wearing a boxer just now. That was so embarrassing. Yeah they were so-called bff, but come on...they weren’t really that. He cursed himself for wearing a boxer that day. But the heat was unbearable last night since it was summer night and yeah...what an embarrassing day.

 

“Um I’ll take a bath first.”

 

Myungsoo muttered before he quickly made his way to the bathroom, unfortunately he tripped over his long loose pant on the way. He managed to wear it very fast but he didn’t wear it nicely though.

 

“Damn.”

 

He cursed shortly. Jieun quickly turned her back when he heard a thud on the floor, followed by a curse. It was him, falling on the floor so un-glamorously. She silently heaved a sigh of relief when he saw him already in his long pant. She ran to him when he heard him groaned. That must be hurt.

 

“Yah are you okay? Gosh be careful. That’s why I told you not to sleep too much. See, you become dumber.”

 

Jieun nagged as she held his arms, helping him to get up. She rubbed his sore legs without looking at his face. She was worried about him, alright. Our little miss perfect always freaked out when something bad happened to Myungsoo. She was too busy worrying, unaware about the guy flinching at her touch as he widened his eyes, looking down at her.

 

“I-I’m okay.”

 

Myungsoo stuttered as he immediately grabbed a hold of her hands, stopping her from touching his legs. He was a guy and he was sensitive down there okay. The oblivious Jieun looked up to look at him and for a few seconds, she thought that she saw his face flushed before he immediately walked away from the scene, heading towards the bathroom while holding back his pain, avoiding her judging eyes. He was too embarrassed to stay there for too long with her. Jieun confusedly stared at his retreating back, wondering what was wrong with him. She was suddenly reminded of his image wearing boxer just now and she felt her cheeks reddened again but she decided to just brush it off. She was good in hiding her feelings for him or else how do you think she survived all these years being with him without obviously swooning over him straight in front of his face when he was being the real sweet Kim Myungsoo only in front of her? Yeah...tell me about it.

 

“Myungsoo, let’s go somewhere today. Dress nicely because I’m going to treat you to dinner at a real good place tonight. Try not to dress like a Grimm Reaper okay.”

 

Jieun knocked on the bathroom’s door, hoping that he can hear her. She frowned when Myungsoo didn’t say anything. In fact she can’t hear anything from the bathroom, it was silent.

 

“Kim Myungsoo!!! Don’t tell me you sleep again inside there. You better wake up now!”

 

Jieun raged, thinking that Myungsoo was asleep again inside. Heck that guy can sleep everywhere.

 

“N-No I’m not sleeping midget. Stop shouting and wait for me outside. I will be out in half an hour okay.”

 

Myungsoo finally said and Jieun stopped knocking on the bathroom’s door. She finally walked away when she heard the sound of water running from the bathroom. She headed towards the living room with her ‘myungmyung’. Jieun started tidying up the magazines and mangas that were scattered on the table. She scowled at this one magazine that was supposed to be about cars but there were also many pictures of y models wearing bikinis and other y outfits posing with the cars. Jieun rolled her eyes. Was this the reason why Myungsoo always covered up his magazine each time Jieun tried to look at what he was reading? Pft...Guys and their raging hormones...

 

As she finished tidying up the table, she walked towards another table beside the flat screen television. There were a lot of pictures in that table, mostly their pictures together. Jieun smiled looking at those pictures. She was smiling so brightly in those pictures while Myungsoo was always with his awkward smile. She loved it when he smiled though. She was in love with him, of course she loved everything about him. She found everything about him was very charming. Heck, she even loved his conceited side. That guy was so good looking, that was undeniable and a well-known fact. As far as she can remember, he had always been so good looking ever since he was a kid. He was popular among girls since their childhood days. He remembered girls fighting over him even though he didn’t really care about them and the same thing happened in elementary and middle schools. He was THAT popular. He was still famous in high school but since he was so cold to other people other than Jieun and his few other friends, girls were intimidated by his aura and they were only admiring him from afar. Well, who would have the guts to confess to a guy who glared at you even when your eyes accidently met with his?

 

What about Jieun? No, she didn’t fall in love with him because of his good looking face in the first place. In fact, she almost hated him during their childhood days.

 

Reason? Because he used to be so mean and rude to her and she thought he hated her as well. So, she might as well hate him for that, right? It was kids’ rule...If you hated me, then I will hate you as well. Period. Even up until now she still didn’t know why he hated her so much back then. He always changed the topic when she asked him that, he just refused to answer that question.

 

She remembered when they were little, they always met each other because their parents were good friends since their college days. Their parents even sent them to the same schools, hoping that they would be good friends as well. His parents were so nice to her, especially his mother. However she always noticed him scowling at her whenever his mom praised her. Then he started being so mean to her. He pulled away her chair when she was about to sit, causing her to fall on her bottom and that hurt so damn much. There were many more; he always pulled out her hair when their parents weren’t looking, he cut her dolls’ hairs, he made random doodles on her drawings, he purposely spilled his drink on her new shirt, calling her names and yeah there were too many more to remember. And Jieun finally had enough. That boy obviously hated her and she decided to hate him as well. Jieun once told her mom about it but her mom hilariously thought that maybe...Myungsoo liked her, that was why he kept being mean to her. What a joke, Jieun thought. She may be young at that time but she can already differentiate between like and hate.

 

Don’t you ever believe it when people told you a cliché love theory about someone liking you when they kept teasing you.  Good for you if it was true but hello, there was this fine line between teasing and being plain mean and rude. In Jieun's case, Myungsoo was completely being mean and rude to her. If someone did that to you, you had to accept the reality that they were just not that into you or worst, they probably hated you. As simple as that. Believe in Jieun’s judgment.

 

“He was so mean to me back then.”

 

Jieun talked to herself, shooting daggers at Myungsoo’s photo as she remembered how mean he was. It was all in the past but Jieun can’t help but cringed at the memories. He even called her pig when they were in elementary school because she was a bit chubby back then and she stopped eating for days because of that, trying to lose her weight. She only started to eat healthily again when Myungsoo eventually apologized to her. She knew he was forced by his mother but still, she was satisfied that he apologized to her and he stopped calling her names since then. They were practically strangers after that, ignoring each other’s presences. Jieun thought she will hate him forever but the unexpected thing happened during their first year in the middle school...

 

“Stop staring at my photo like that. I’m having goosebumps now.”

 

Jieun’s train of thoughts was interrupted when Myungsoo finally walked into the living room after an hour, fully dressed.

 

“Correction...I wasn’t staring, I was shooting daggers at your photo. You’re 30 minutes late Kim Myungsoo. Seriously, stop taking too much time, you took longer time than me to get ready. And what are you------- ”

 

Jieun’s words trailed of as she focused her sight on him, scrutinizing him from head to toe. He was all black, except his skin and lips’s colour....Black eyeliner, black shirt, black leather jacket, black jeans and she bet with all her money she got left in her purse which was quite a lot, he will complete the look with a pair of black boots as well later. She sighed dramatically after that. She was used to this look and she loved him in anything but for tonight, she really hoped that he will wear something more...lively?

 

“I told you not to wear like a Grimm Reaper. You are scaring people off Mr. Grimm. Can’t you wear something in blue, grey or anything other than black? It’s only for tonight.”

 

Jieun tried to persuade him as Myungsoo scoffed.

 

“Scaring people off? I can only see girls turning their heads more than necessary just to take a good look at me again. I look like a Grimm Reaper? Oh you mean the hot one?”

 

Myungsoo smirked as he arrogantly sat on the couch, waiting for her counter attack. Jieun can only roll her eyes. She was so used to this conceited guy and she knew there was no way he will change his outfits. It was his style and he was so proud of it. She decided not to say anything about it anymore. It will only frustrate her more.

 

“Fine Mr.Grimm. Just wear whatever you want. Just please, behave for tonight okay. Don’t be rude, don’t make any troubles, be polite, stay calm, watch your words and eat.”

 

Jieun listed seriously, counting with her fingers. Myungsoo just stared at her weird behavior. What’s so important about tonight?

 

“Why are you getting so serious all of a sudden? We are only going to eat outside like usual and you are going to pay. What’s the big deal? You’re even asking me to wear something in other colour than black which is ridiculous.”

 

“I-It’s nothing. I told you that we are going to eat at a real good place tonight. S-So, we must dress nicely.”

 

Jieun answered him nervously, she can’t let him know anything about her plan yet...or else he will ruin everything. Today’s plan was so important to her because it was all about his happiness. She can’t afford to fail tonight.

 

“Is that why you are wearing a pretty dress, which is so rare of you and did I see make up there, on your face? You look pretty though, which is unbelievable.”

 

Myungsoo playfully teased, staring at her longer than necessary. Jieun quickly looked away to hide her visible blush. Damn the blush, they were going to reveal everything to him at this rate. She almost lost in his eyes when he stared at her just now. Okay Jieun, kept calm and acted normal. Jieun chanted as she began heading towards the door, urging Myungsoo to get going because she didn’t want to be late for their dinner.

 

“Let’s get going. We should not be late for the dinner, it’s impolite to do so.”

 

Jieun changed the subject swiftly. She was good at that. She had years of experiences doing that to Myungsoo after all.

 

“It’s not that anyone is waiting for us, it’s just the two of us...So, what’s the hurry? Did you invite anyone else to tag along?”

 

Myungsoo got more curious about Jieun’s sudden plan. He knew her so well to notice that she was hiding something big from him. He noticed her spacing out a lot these days and he had been dying to know why because he was worried about her. Oh, he had always noticed her blushing and changing subjects a lot of times before but he concluded it was because Jieun was originally a very shy girl. It was normal for a shy girl like her to behave like that around guys. That was why he always enjoyed teasing her like that just to enjoy her cute reactions. And this guy had no idea that Jieun only acted like that when she was around him. Tsk what a dense human. Yeah, both him and her. If you know what I meant...

 

“O-Of course it will be just the two of us like usual. Why would I invite anyone else when I’m going to pay for the bills? Don’t be ridiculous. I just don’t want us to be late b-because...I already made a reservation! Yeah...”

 

She trailed off. She did try to sound convincing but knowing her so well, Myungsoo didn’t buy that. LIAR, he thought. He knew she was planning something else but he decided not to push her and just played along with her. He will know it eventually. He enjoyed watching her flustered reaction though.

 

“Oh Okayyy...I’m just asking, why are you getting so worked up? Relax. Hey, are we going to eat at famous restaurant, hotel or something? You even made a reservation. Are you really going to pay?”

 

“Sheesh why are you asking so much questions? Just shut up and follow me. Don’t ask so much or else I will cancel this dinner and we will just eat ramen at your house. You want that?”

 

“Fine midget. I will just shut up.”

 

Jieun wiped off her imaginary sweat. Darn this guy was really making it hard for her to answer his never ending questions. She looked at him as he wore his boots quietly and she was right, it was black again. Jieun slipped on her beige wedges, bending her knee slightly to fix the strap. She looked up as she finished, only to meet Myungsoo’s eyes that were staring down at her. Her eyes were on his lips level, forcing her to look at them as he inched closer to her. She gulped as her heart was thumping so hard and she was so scared that he might hear it. She held her breath as she felt his breath lingering on her face. She can smell his familiar Hugo Boss perfume and it suffocated her, in a good way. They were THAT close and Jieun was at a lost for words to say anything about it. She just froze there.

 

“Thanks to that wedges, you become taller today.”

 

Myungsoo finally breathed out as he playfully smirked at her. He nonchalantly walked away after that, leaving her dumbfounded there. Jieun exhaled dramatically as she glared at his retreating back. That guy was such a tease. She swore she will end up getting a cardiac arrest because of him one day.

 

“Yah midget. Aren’t you going to move? We shouldn’t be late, right?”

 

Myungsoo called out for her when he noticed that she didn’t follow his steps. He knew she was still shock by his daring move just now. Heh she was lucky he had such a good self control or else he would go all the way into kissing her senseless. Jieun started to walk towards him, glaring at him all the way as Myungsoo innocently smiled at her.

 

“Kim Myungsoo...what was that for?”

 

“What? I’m just being the awesome me.”

 

“Haha what a joke. It’s not funny okay.”

 

“Why are you mad anyway?”

 

“I am not.”

 

“Yeah right.”

 


 

The Dinner.

What about it?

Actually, it was more of family dinner. Jieun, being an angel she was, had invited Myungsoo’s parents to join them. By the way, yeah they had a dinner at a hotel and it was Myungsoo’s parents who paid for the bills, not Jieun. She planned it all with his parents because she knew, Myungsoo had not seen his parents for months. They only interacted on the phone, with his parents lecturing him most of the time. She knew he missed them but he pretended like he didn’t give a damn about them. Myungsoo’s parents were busy people and ever since Myungsoo moved out of his parents’ house to live alone in his apartment, he rarely went back to visit them. It was always his parents who had to come to his apartment in order to see him. Due to an unfortunate incident in the past, he knew Myungsoo was still hurt by his parents’ actions. They didn’t trust him and he felt betrayed. He distanced himself from them and it was hard for his parents to reach him. However, she knew they were not totally broken yet, they just bent and they can still fix things up and learn to love again. Jieun had been trying for years to make him forgive his parents and she knew it was slowly working. He only needed some more bonding sessions with them to completely heal. If his parents tried hard enough, they will get their son back. That was why Jieun arranged this dinner between them. She even told his parents to keep asking him out even though he kept refusing them. Myungsoo was indeed stubborn but she knew better that he was soft inside.

 

The dinner was great. At first, Myungsoo didn’t talk much, but Jieun knew he secretly enjoyed it. Jieun did most of the talking on his behalf and she enjoyed spilling his secrets to his parents. In the end, Myungsoo ended up blurting out unnecessary comments about her in attempts to shut her up, drawing laughter from his parents as they were amused to see Myungsoo and Jieun quarrelling childishly.

 

“Myungsoo has this one magazine about cars but there are lot pictures of girls wearing bikinis in it.”

 

Myungsoo choked on his drink hearing that. Seriously, saying that in front of his parents?

 

“Y-Yah midget, it is normal for magazines to have that kind of pictures.”

 

“Oh really? I thought only Playboy magazine would have that kind of pictures.”

 

“You are so clueless. Just shut up!”

 

She knew his parents were glad to see Myungsoo like that. Myungsoo wasn’t the best son in the world, he always made them worried and they can’t help but lectured him most of the time but still, he was their only child. They would trade anything they had for his happiness, even their life. The dinner ended with Myungsoo’s parents giving him a family hug. Myungsoo was awkward as his hands dangled stiffly by his sides but she noticed his unforgettable expression. He was touched. And she was glad.

 


 

“You planned it all earlier, don’t you?”

 

Myungsoo broke the silence when both of them quietly settled themselves at the back seat on the bus with Jieun sitting next to the window. Their sitting arrangements were always like that. Them, sitting at the back seat side by side, with Jieun sitting next to the window. They used to argue about who should be sitting next to the window but Myungsoo will always be the one to give up. Jieun was a good debater, mind you.

 

“What? I told you it was just a coincidence. And your parents happened to be there. So, might as well join them. The more, the merrier.”

 

Jieun smoothly lied, faking her innocent smile. She knew Myungsoo won’t buy that anyway.

 

“Stop lying. I’m not that stupid.”

 

Myungsoo scoffed as he flicked her forehead. Jieun gasped as she quickly rubbed her forehead.

 

“Ouch. Okay fine. I lied. Happy?”

 

“Very much.”

 

“Yeah I bet you are happy. So, thanks me for the great dinner now.”

 

Jieun demanded as she nudged him. Myungsoo shot her a look before he turned away from her.

 

“Stop talking nonsense. I am happy because the food is nice.”

 

“Aww don’t be like that. Just admit it. You’re touched, right?”

 

Jieun continued to nudge him, enjoying her time teasing him. Myungsoo ignored her as he crossed his arms over his chest, pretending to sleep.

 

“Are you going to sleep? Oh come on...stop sleeping all the time. You are just the same as myungmyung, my dog. Sleepy head.”

 

Myungsoo’s head snapped towards her as he heard that. He almost forgot about that ‘thing’.

 

“Hey, speaking of that dog, did you leave it at my apartment? what if that thing pooped or something?”

 

Myungsoo widened his eyes at the thought. he freaking can’t stand dog’s poop. He thought it was disgusting. That was why he disliked animals in general. Jieun rolled her eyes at his exaggerated reaction.

 

“Don’t worry. My myungmyung is a good dog. He already ate and pooped before I bring him to your apartment. Stop exaggerating. Myungmyung is a smart dog okay.”

 

“You better be sure about that, midget.”

 

“I’m 100% sure.”

 

“Yeah right.”

 

And Myungsoo was relieved as he prepared himself to sleep when Jieun called him softly.

 

“Hey myungie...”

 

“What?” He muttered.

 

“Why don’t you move back in with your parents?”

 

“Why that all of a sudden....”

 

“Just because. I just don’t want you to be lonely. Aren’t you feeling lonely living alone? You are still young...You should be living with your parents at this age.”

 

“I don’t have time to be lonely. You come to my apartment almost everyday, remember?”

 

“Geez I know that and you should be thankful that I come to cook and clean for you okay. But what if I’m not there for you anymore? You will be all alone then.”

 

Jieun’s voice trailed off as she stared at Myungsoo’s closed eyes. Myungsoo’s eyes shot open when he heard that. He turned to look at her straight in the eyes and he soften as he saw the concern look in her eyes.

 

“What’s wrong with you today? Stop saying things like that. You are not going anywhere and that’s final.”

 

“But myungie, I can’t be with you forever. You need other people in your life and-------”

 

“Just stop it, will you? Or else I will get real mad. You don’t want me to get mad Jieun. Trust me.”

 

Myungsoo raised his voice slightly. He hated the sound of her leaving him. That won’t be happening and she will stay with him forever. He wanted to believe that. Jieun was taken aback by his sudden outburst. She almost flinched hearing his tone. Myungsoo rarely used that tone on her. She knew he only used that tone when he was mad. Jieun quickly averted her gaze from him as she stared at the floor. Her eyes glistened with tears, threatening to fall. Her face was all red because she tried so hard to hold them back. She hated to burst his happy bubbles but she knew she had to tell him that. She wanted him to know and accept the fact that she can’t stay by his side forever and he needed other people in his life.

 

Myungsoo noticed her changing expressions and he immediately regretted his tone before. He flailed his hands in the air, not knowing what to do when he saw her sad face. He panicked for few seconds before he grabbed her shoulders, turning her to look at him. He stared at her red face and slightly pouty lips...he automatically smiled looking at how cute she looked. And he did what his heart felt like doing as he wrapped his arms around her, hugging her tightly.

 

“Jieun, don’t be sad. I’m sorry okay.”

 

His super soft tone managed to melt Jieun’s heart. Darn this guy always knew how to mess with her fragile heart. Jieun had to bite her lips to suppress her wide smile. She was on cloud nine right now. She loved the way he rubbed her back softly, trying to console her. His scent automatically calmed her down. Jieun put her hands on his chest, trying to put a distance between them as she was scared that he might notice her rapidly beating heart. Strange...but she thought she can feel his heart beating at the same speed as hers, perhaps faster. As soon as she did that, Myungsoo quickly pulled away from her, his face was all flustered. Jieun stared at him in confusion as he looked away from her. He suddenly fished out his phone and earphone from his pocket and he randomly shoved one of the earphones in her left ear and the other one in his right ear. Jieun blinked at him.

 

“L-Let’s just sleep.”

 

He stuttered, not looking at her. Jieun stared as he closed his eyes and a familiar song started to play. It was her favourite song, ‘It’s You’. She didn’t know he had this song saved in his phone. He used to say that the song was annoying when she used it as her caller ringtone. This guy was so bipolar, Jieun thought. He always criticized everything that she liked but he ended up liking them in the end. Bipolar Myungsoo.

 

Jieun smiled when Myungsoo rested his head on her shoulder. He was always like that. Myungsoo changed the position of his hands, putting them on his lap. That was when Jieun noticed a small scar on his left hand. Jieun stared at that slightly visible scar as she was reminded of the reason why it was there in the first place. It was because of ‘myungmyung’...her dog.

 


 

Jieun was in middle school when her parents gave her ‘myungmyung’ as birthday gift. It was such a cute puppy back then. Jieun was beyond happy but unfortunately she didn’t really know how to take care of it and she lost it one day. She was supposed to take it out for a walk but it ran away from her. She thought of all the bad thing that may happen to that poor puppy because it was so small. She headed towards the main road, hoping that it won’t be there but she was unfortunate, it was there, in the middle of the road. To make it worst, there was a car speeding towards the puppy. She ran towards it as fast as she could but she was far from it and she knew she won’t make it. Just when she was about to give up, a boy suddenly appeared, grabbing the poor puppy off the road. She watched as he quickly ran out of the car’s way but unfortunately, he tripped and fell to the road side, scrapping his knees, arms and hands in attempt to protect the puppy. He was lucky that he managed to run away before the car hit him. It was a close call. The driver loudly honked and cursed at the boy before speeding away, leaving the scene.

 

Jieun ran towards the poor boy but she stopped in her track when she saw his face. It was Kim Myungsoo, her enemy. She didn’t know why but she quickly hid herself behind a lamp post. She knew she was supposed to go and thank the boy for saving her puppy but she didn’t have the guts to do so. She knew how much he hated her and she thought their feelings were mutual at that time. She quietly observed him from there. Yeah, she kinda hated him but she hoped he was okay. He was her puppy’s savior after all.

 

“Hey ugly. What were you doing in the middle of the road? You were lucky that I was there or else you are a dead meat by now.”

 

She heard him said as he smiled crookedly at her puppy. She saw him winced in pain after that and she cringed looking at his wounds. The wound in his hands looked serious though. She suddenly felt guilty. It was her fault that she didn’t take care of her puppy properly. And now she caused him a trouble.

 

“Yah puppy, did you run away from your owner? Be thankful that I saved you. Grow up well and be a good dog when you grow up...and don’t poop too much.”

 

Myungsoo patted her puppy’s head after he safely placed it at the bus stand nearby. He walked away after that, limping all the way. Jieun watched him from afar guiltily. After she was sure that he was already far away from there, Jieun came out from her hiding place and sprinted towards her puppy. The puppy looked at her innocently as she did a quick scan, checking whether it got hurt or not. Fortunately, it was perfectly fine. Thanks to Myungsoo who sacrificed his body to protect it from getting hurt.

 

“Puppyyyyyy why did you do that? You know how worried I was?”

 

Jieun sobbed as she hugged her puppy. She was so relieved that it was fine. She watched adoringly as the puppy quietly rested in her arms, feeling the warmth of her hug.

 

“You know what puppy? I think I found you a new name.”

 

Jieun grinned at her puppy as she remembered the way Myungsoo bravely saved her puppy just now. He looked so...cool. Jieun was really touched but she just didn’t believe what she saw at first. She always thought of Myungsoo as someone so mean and rude. As far as she knew, Kim Myungsoo was a cold bastard. He wouldn’t even care if someone got drown in the pool and he can even laugh at them. She remembered him laughing at her when she fell into the pool during their elementary school trip and it was such an embarrassing moment in her life. Heck her first crush was even there as well. She was lucky that she knew how to swim because she used to attend the same swimming classes as Myungsoo when they were little.

 

With him being her puppy’s savior, she started having a second thought about him. He wasn’t that bad of a guy he appeared to be if he had that inner animals’ lover deep inside him. From that moment, she knew that she won’t hate him anymore. She thought maybe, she should give him a second chance and start appreciating the other side of him. Since she owed him her dog’s life, she was determined to pay him back one day. She even left a note, signed as anonymous and a bottle of orange juice in front of his house the next day, expressing how thankful she was and she promised to pay him back later. She never acknowledged this but she developed this tiny little crush on him since then.

 

That was the reason why she chose to believe in him when he was accused of stealing a classmate’s phone a year later. Myungsoo may seem like a troublemaker but after observing him for quite a while, she knew he didn’t do it, he was framed. She witnessed how everyone turned their back on him and it was heart breaking. She wanted him to know that she believed in him. So, she mustered up her courage to approach him and convince him to investigate the case with her. He didn’t believe in her at first. Why would his enemy help him?

 

“I thought you hate me?” He said.

 

“No. I don’t hate you at all.” She confessed.

 

Well, she used to...but not anymore.

 

When the case managed to be solved, Myungsoo miraculously started sticking to her like a glue. He was always with her and Jieun started to notice her heart making weird flips and her face doing funny blush whenever he was near her. It was a suffocating feeling yet she was happy. She was devastated when there was this one popular girl in their school approached Myungsoo, asking him to be her boyfriend. Jieun knew the girl was the reason why Myungsoo got framed in the first place but darn, the girl was so pretty and hot. Any guys could kill to have her as a girlfriend. Plus she will look great with Myungsoo. Jieun thought Myungsoo will finally leave her side and be with the hot girl but she was completely wrong. Myungsoo chose to stay with her and Jieun was secretly happy that Myungsoo rejected the girl. Yeah it was quite mean to be happy about it but can you really blame her for that? She was in love with him as well.

 

So, after all these years, was she still in love with him?

Duh yeah, wasn’t it obvious? It was even too late for her to take that love back. There was no turning back. She may be a coward for not confessing but she was originally a girl with lack of self confidence. Asking her to confess was a bit too much especially when she had been his best friend for years. She remembered when he playfully asked her to his girlfriend back then, she almost jumped and said yes but as much as she wanted to do that, she knew he was just joking.

How can she be so sure that he wasn’t feeling the same?

He proposed her to be his girlfriend for the first time as a friend, as a joke...so, if he didn’t propose again the second time, that only meant he still saw her as a friend. She was so sure that he friend-zoned her. She was just a friend back then, now and perhaps forever...

That’s the story of Lee Jieun’s Life. ? You bet.

 


 

“Oi Agasshi!”

 

Jieun snapped out her long thought when she heard the bus driver calling her. She looked at him as he signaled her to get off the bus since they already reached the final stop. Jieun quickly shook Myungsoo’s shoulder to wake him up.

 

“Myungsoo, wake up.”

 

Myungsoo rubbed his eyes as he confusedly looked around.

 

“Where are we?”

 

He asked groggily.

 

“The final stop. I think we missed a stop. Now let’s get down before that bus driver yells at us.”

 

Jieun looked at the bus driver who looked quite pissed right now.

 

“ did we sleep that long?”

 

Myungsoo cursed as he stood up abruptly.

 

“Y-Yeah I guess so.”

 

Jieun hesitantly admitted. Well, she wasn’t sleeping. She was just...busy thinking about him.

 

“Come on. We have to walk back quickly. It’s getting late and I don’t want your parents to kill me. But you trust me, right?”

 

Myungsoo winked as he offered his hands, urging Jieun to hold it. Jieun smiled as she held his hand. She let his fingers intertwined with hers and she held them tight. Yeah, she was going to trust him forever. Because...it’s him.

 

 

 

 

A/N: Chapter 2...posted! I welcome any critisms and comments^_^

So, who do you think is at fault for this whole annoying 'i thought you friend-zoned me' saga? lol

Thanks to all the subscribers, readers and commenters...Love you all for lifting my inner writer spirit haha

 

Teaser : Final chapter will be longggg...so beware. It may be posted tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. Please anticipate it <3

 

Fun Facts: 

-According to Microsoft Words, I consume 20 pages for this chapter \0/ 

-The song 'It's You' is a song from Sung Si Kyung ft IU. It's such a sweet song. Go and listen to it on Youtube if you haven't heard of it yet. I can't help but think that this song is so relevant to this story tehehe. 

-If you notice, I used inspiring words from 'He's Just Not That Into You' movie and lyrics from 'Give Me A Reason' song by Pink ft Nate Ruess. lol

-Korean Education System: Kindergarten ----> Elementary aka Primary School ----> Middle School -----> High School -----> College/University.