The Story of Kim Myungsoo's Life

Because It's You

 

 

It was a fine afternoon with the sun shining so brightly while the wind was blowing softly. Under a shady tree, there was a guy enjoying his afternoon nap, ignoring the fact that he should be in class about an hour ago. This guy was the typical troublemaker walking around in school, giving troubles to the teachers. He was not a bully, nonono, gosh don’t misunderstand him. He was a decent guy, alright. It’s just that he was the type who wasn’t interested at all in studying. He came to school whenever he felt like doing so or whenever he had enough of his parents lecturing him like he was the worst son in the whole universe. Well he thought his parents should be thankful for having such as good looking son as him...heh. Today is Wednesday, since the foods in the school cafeteria tasted good on Wednesday, he never skipped school on Wednesday mind you.

 

Hey, even he was two hours late today, the teachers should be thankful that he actually came to school okay....Plus it was their faults that they’re so boring till the great Kim Myungsoo had to leave the class. Oh, they should be thankful that he left, or else the girls in the class won’t pay any attention to the teachers because they were too busy swooning over his hotness.

 

“Kim Myungsoo.”

 

Suddenly his afternoon nap was interrupted by a sweet voice calling his name. He can recognize that voice anywhere. Who wouldn’t recognize the voice of a person you grew up with and possibly....harboring feelings with?

 

“There you are. Everyone is looking for you and you’re taking your afternoon nap here? Typical lazy myungie...tsk tsk tsk.”

 

The familiar girl poked his right cheek as soon as she sat beside the guy who seemed peacefully sleeping.

 

 “Go away midget.”

 

With his eyes still closed, he told her to go away as cold as possible, or at least he tried to sound like one. He wasn’t stopping her from poking his cheek though. His body was off-limit to anyone except her.

 

“Oh, you mean...don’t go princess. Awww you don’t have to say it, I get what you mean.”

 

The girl playfully cooed, pinching his cheeks in the process. That action made Kim Myungsoo sat up at that instant while trying to brush off her little fingers from his face.

 

“Lee Jieun!”

 

He yelled, trying to raise his voice an octave higher...and he ended sounding like a dolphin. Well you can’t blame him. His crush was so so so close to him, even having a skinship with him.

 

“Aigoo myungie is so cute...hahaha.”

 

This certain clueless girl had no idea how much her little touch affected the guy in front of her as she continued to squish his cheeks.

 

“You better stop pinching me now. It hurts you midget!”

 

Yea yea yea as if it hurt so much. He can easily brush her off but this guy just didn’t try hard enough to do so. Heck he didn’t even want to try.

 

“Call me princess first and then I will let you go.”

 

“Princess my foot...you’re a midget.”

 

“Hey, I am 163cm okay. Have you seen any midget taller than me?”

 

“Whatever you’re saying, you will always be a midget to me.”

 

“You’re just being sore because I used to call you a midget when we were kids, right? Stop holding a grudge you cold kiddo. You used to be shorter than me when we were kids.”

 

Jieun scoffed at him, putting a pressure to her pinch that caused Myungsoo to yelp. He started to pinch her soft cheeks in return, trying not to hurt her much in the process. Kim Myungsoo was such a softie like that and Lee Jieun...was his soft spot.

 

“And the fact that you stop growing now is the reason why I called you a midget and you can’t call me a midget anymore because I’m taller than you now.”

 

Myungsoo smirked oh-so-handsomely at the petite girl in front of him, enjoying her reaction when he started to squish her cheeks back. She looked so cute...and Kim Myungsoo had to mentally slap himself numerous times in attempt not to kiss her right there and then. Myungsoo was a guy with a good self-control or else how do you think he survived being with her all these years without making any suicidal attempts such as kissing her senseless or hugging her whenever he felt like doing so?

 

“Hey, I’m still growing okay. What makes you think I already stop growing? I still drink milk every night. You, just watch out because I may grow taller than you. Just wait.”

 

The girl grinned happily at him, her big clear eyes turned into crescent shape when she smiled, making her looked so lovely in Myungsoo’s eyes. Oh this girl was always lovely in his eyes. His lovely Jieun. He just loved everything about her. Sure, Jieun was one of the prettiest girls in their school, having many suitors who never failed to make him jealous and he was so glad that Jieun turned them down. He remembered a guy from Jieun’s class named Wooyoung who persistently asking her out and Myungsoo really thought that he will lose Jieun to this guy because damn, that guy was so fine but Jieun eventually turned him down, saying that she wasn’t ready and it’s impossible for her to accept him for unknown reason. The poor guy changed school a year before their senior year in high school. People were saying that Wooyoung’s family migrated to United States but Myungsoo highly suspected that he was just too broken-hearted. He still shivered when he remembered the way Wooyoung glared at him before he changed school. What was his problem, really?

 

“Yah did you hear me?”

 

Myungsoo was out of his trance when Jieun poked his cheeks, trying to grab his attention. That was when he noticed that he stared at her for too long and he lost his mind somewhere in the process. He focused his gazed on her lovely eyes again. Jieun already had her hands off of his face and now her hands were on his hands that were still comfortably placed on her cheeks...and that was when Myungsoo got flustered and he immediately removed his hands from her face.

 

“Thank God you finally let me go. My cheeks are all numb now. Why are you pinching me so hard anyway? Gosh if this left marks, you’re so dead. I don’t even bring my BB cream today and I have presentation after this and you know how I hate doing presentation. My teacher is the worst......”

 

Jieun rubbed her slightly redden cheeks while continue rambling all she wanted. Jieun was always so talkative when she was with Myungsoo and Myungsoo will always listen quietly to her. They were always like that. Jieun was quite a chatter-box while Myungsoo will only talk when necessary. Basically, jieun did all the talking and Myungsoo did all the listening.

 

Again, Myungsoo lost in his trance while quietly enjoying the view beside him. Jieun was undeniably a pretty girl but he didn’t fall for her just because of that. They knew each other since forever because their families were good friends with each other. Jieun was his enemy at first. He used to get so annoyed by her presence. When he was little, he was so jealous of Jieun because his mother liked her so much. His mom kept talking about how nice she was as a kid, how cute she was, how smart she was and how his mom wished that she had a daughter like Jieun instead of a hard-headed and bratty son like Myungsoo. Hell, Jieun was the true definition of ‘mom’s best friend’s daughter who you don’t want to be compared to’. And yeah, a petty guy like Myungsoo felt insulted to be compared to a girl like Jieun. He didn’t even want to remember how rude and bad he was to her during their childhood days.

 

But all his prejudice disappeared when they were in middle school. There was this huge misunderstanding happened where Myungsoo was accused of stealing a classmate’s expansive phone. Heck the accusation was so ridiculous because Myungsoo can just buy it if he wanted to because his parents were rich and Myungsoo was the only child. Unfortunately that darn phone was found in his bag when the teacher checked his bag in front of the whole class, including Jieun. Myungsoo was left helpless and no one believed in him even though he strongly denied it. That incident still left scars in his mind till now, it was so bad. The teachers thought he stole it for fun since he was a rich kid, his friends turned their back on him and worst, even his parents thought he really did that and they even planned  to send him somewhere to get a counseling in case he had a mental problem regarding his life. He felt betrayed by everyone around him and he almost considered to end his life but there was this only one person who kept telling that she believed in him. It was Lee Jieun. At first he thought that she was just mocking him. Why would a goody two-shoes like her siding him? Plus he always treated her like a stranger and he was always so rude to her. She never left him even though he kept screaming at her, telling her to leave him alone. He did tell her to leave but he honestly didn’t want her to leave when he needed someone the most and she fortunately understood him without him telling her that. It was like she knew what he really felt despite all his façade.

 

And she stayed with him till the end. They started to investigate the stealing case together in order to clear his name. Jieun, being the brainy she was, figured out a way to trap the real culprit and they managed to trap him. It turned out that he was one of Myungsoo’s enemies in school. They had always been rivals in football club and that guy was annoyed that the girl he liked was having a crush on Myungsoo instead. It wasn’t that Myungsoo gave a damn about the girl anyway. That shameless girl kept pestering him but then she disappeared all of a sudden when Myungsoo was accused of stealing.

 

They finally managed to clear Myungsoo’s name and everyone were apologizing to him, including the girl who claimed to have a crush on Myungsoo and the major cause of that unfortunate case in the first place. She was the most popular girl in the school yet Myungsoo brushed her off like she was nothing and he began to stick to Jieun like a glue. Jieun even had to push him away so that he mingled with other boys and girls in their school but Myungsoo ignored her attempts. He simply told her that he lost his faith and trust on other people and having Jieun by his side was enough. He didn’t need other people, including his parents and he truly meant it. No matter how much other people tried to enter his life, he just pushed them away. Only Jieun was allowed in his life.

 

Myungsoo stared at the girl sitting beside him. She was now talking about her girl best friends maybe, he didn’t listen much because he was too distracted by the way her soft hair being blown by the soft wind, slightly brushing his cheeks, the way she smiled and how her scent was  making his heart doing weird flips inside. And it all reminded him of the first time his heart doing weird flips like this.

 


 

“Yah you won’t be able to get a girlfriend if you continue sticking to me like this. Go and get yourself new friends. It wouldn’t hurt anymore, trust me myungie.”

 

He remembered her saying that to him when they were enjoying their time watching a football match from the bleacher. After the incident, Myungsoo didn’t play football anymore because yeah, he was traumatized and he can’t face his teammates and acted like nothing happened because that would be a lie. Even though they apologized for not trusting him but Myungsoo was beyond hurt by their actions.

 

“Jieun, I need time and I told you before, I don’t need anyone except you. Besides, you can be my girlfriend if you want.

 

 He playfully smirked, observing her reaction. And he thought he saw her getting flustered for a split second before she composed herself and acted normal again.

 

“Seriously Kim Myungsoo...Is that a proposal? Because I expect a more romantic proposal at a fancy place from my first boyfriend you know. So in conclusion, your proposal is rejected. You can try again next year though.

 

Jieun playfully patted his head, messing his hair in the process. Myungsoo knew that she was trying to mess his hair so he quickly did the same thing to her as well. There was a strange feeling emerged when his fingers brushed her soft hair, a completely foreign feeling to him but he decided to ignore it and continue ruffling her soft hair. It was a good feeling, being so close to her.

 

“Well, it’s your lost. I’m the hot Kim Myungsoo and you rejected me? Sorry girl but I only proposed once. This is not Kpop Star where I can always apply for the next year when I failed and you’re not BoA.” 

 

“Awww so you’re not going to propose again? That’s too bad. I’m anticipating a fancy proposal from you next time.

 

“Yeah you wish. The cool Kim Myungsoo doesn’t have time for thing like that. Either you take it or leave it.

 

They kept teasing each other like that, laughing at their silly hairs and Myungsoo had never felt so happy and contented like that. They finally decided to stop messing each other’s hairs and Myungsoo was helping Jieun to fix her hair when he suddenly had the urge to ask her a question he had been dying to know the answer.

 

“Jieun...

 

He called her softly as he looked at her.

 

“Um...

 

Jieun hummed as she fixed her slightly messy hair. She quickly looked up when she noticed Myungsoo didn’t continue his word. When their eyes met, Jieun noticed his changing expression. After staring at each other for a while, Myungsoo finally mustered up his courage to ask her that question.

 

“Why you...decided to believe in me back then? You know, I was always so mean to you...yet you-----

 

His words were cut off by Jieun, it was like she knew what he was trying to say. She always knew it.

 

“Because it’s you.

 

“I don’t get it.

 

“Don’t ask me why. I just...believe in you Kim Myungsoo.

 

That was her answer. Short yet it was meaningful to him. Myungsoo still didn’t understand it but he decided that he won’t ask anymore. He just liked the sound of it...’because it’s you.

 

And what she did next almost gave Myungsoo a heart attack. First, his heart almost stopped beating as he held his breath and when he finally managed to breathe again, he was so sure his heart was going to explode by making weird flips and beating so fast. Her peach scene was suffocating him, in a good way and he just can’t stop freaking out at that time, thinking that he might die on the spot. Those ridiculous things happened just because Jieun gave him a simple...hug.

 

When she pulled away, he didn’t know where to hide his face because he was so sure that it was red in colour. He looked everywhere except her eyes and Jieun had to cup his face, making him looked straight into her mesmerizing eyes. That was when he realized how pretty her eyes were and he was so lost in them.

 

“Myungsoo, as much as I believe in you, I hope you will start believing in other people as well. It’s okay to be hurt sometimes because that’s life, don’t be a coward and avoid it. Face it. And always remember this. You have me, Lee Jieun and I will always believe in you. So, myungie fighting!

 

She smiled widely at him and he can’t help but grinned at her. He let her words sunk in and left it deep in his heart. Yeah, he was going to remember this forever. When he saw her lovely smile, how he wished that she actually accepted his proposal earlier and he was already thinking whether her should ask her again next year and next year after until she said yes to him.

 


 

“Kim Myungsoo!!!”

 

Myungsoo snapped out of his long trance when Jieun violently shook his shoulders in attempt to wake him up and bring him back to the current situation. Myungsoo faced Jieun, taking notice of how long her hair grew since their middle school days.

 

“Hello Kim Myungsoo. Are you there? What’s wrong with you?”

 

Jieun waved her hands in front of Myungsoo’s face, getting annoyed with the fact that Myungsoo’s didn’t listen to her stories at all. Seriously, in an hour she had told him so many stories already but it turned out that he was so busy day dreaming about something else. If only she knew that all he had been thinking about was her. Well how was she supposed to know that when the boy himself didn’t say anything about what he really felt about her? Yeah after all these years, Kim Myungsoo still didn’t propose her again after his first failed attempt during middle school. Now that he knew what he really felt about her, the boy wasn’t confidence enough to confess because he was too scared of the consequences. He thought Jieun friend-zoned him and anyone can imagine how hurt it was to stay on that zone. However, he can’t afford being rejected by her the second time either. The first time was okay since he said that as a joke but if there was a second time, it won’t be a joke anymore and he could be seriously hurt if she ever rejected him again. That’s the story of Kim Myungsoo’s life. ? You bet.

 

“You should go. Lunch break is already over and your class will start soon. Good luck for your presentation.”

 

“Huh? You actually heard about that part. I thought you didn’t listen to me at all.”

 

“Hey, I did listen for the first 15 minutes okay.”

 

“Seriously Myungsoo, stop day dreaming and let’s go to class. It’s good for your chicken brain.”

 

“I’m not that stupid. Stop underestimating me midget.”

 

“I will stop when your ranking is higher than me.”

 

“Stop luring me. It won’t work. Just go to your class and let me continue my nap. I have enough of you ruining my afternoon nap.”

 

“Don’t sleep too much, you will get lazy and dumber you know. That’s a scientific fact.”

 

“Okay Einstein, go away.”

 

“That wasn’t from Einstein. It was from------”

 

And Jieun continued her lecture, with Myungsoo biting his lips trying to suppress his wide smile. He knew Jieun will stay with him there for a little longer. She will convince him until he finally gave up and follow her to class and he knew that he will finally give up and follow her because...it’s her.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: First chapter...posted! I welcome any critisms and comments^_^