Last Chance 2

Last Chance

Three months have passed. It was late November.

The engagement had taken place already, celebrations were done, everything was going smoothly. Except for Joohyun.

"Oh darling, your wedding is going to be in only another 2 days. Cheer up already! Jonghyun will be here in a while." Her mother chirped amusingly, while Joohyun just huffed.

Not long after, the sound of a car door slam was heard. Joohyun got up and walked out of the door to see her fiancé leaning on his car with his shades on. He was wearing a dark blue shirt with a black jacket and had his hands folded as he smiled at her. Long story short, he was smoking hot.

Unlike any other girl, Joohyun didn't really notice his looks and just casually said 'hi' before entering his vehicle, leaving him disapointed, again. Pouting, he got into the drivers seat and drove them to a cafe he liked.

Joohyun and Jonghyun had been meeting each other, going on dates and having fun times together for a long time now. It's not that Joohyun never liked him, or kept making moody faces at him. But she had never felt anything towards him that was more than friends. Jonghyun, on the other hand, never stopped trying to make her fall for him. He was always determined to make her happy, just as how Key had.

 

Joohyun's POV

We took our seats at this nice cafe. Jonghyun said that he liked the coffee here cause it reminds him of his hometown in Korea. We sat infront of the window, so we could see the view. It was snowing just lightly, making the view beautiful.

"So, shall I order?" He asked. I nodded. "Order for me too. I have no idea what to eat here." 

Then he got up and walked towards the counter. As I watched him go, my mind started to drift. Thinking about him. Jonghyun. He's a good man. 

I was amazed at how patient he could be. During the first few dates we went on, I swear I would have gave up if I were him that time. I was dull, moody, inconsiderate and just plain boring. I didn't think about his feelings. I only though about Key. He must have hated me so much, for being so mean.

But he never got mad, never scolded me, never even showed a little bit of anger towards me. I'm sure I've been such a disappointment to him.

He came back, sitting down and looking at me snap out of my daze. "What were you thinking about?" He asked, grinning. "Me?" 

I smiled. What charms he had. "Oh please. You're so full of your self." I teased casually, making him chuckle. Once our food arrived, we ate while talking about normal things, life, events, just like normal. 

"So. Two more days." He suddenly stated. I silenced. "How do you feel about that?" He asked. I looked down and shrugged. "I guess I'm quite prepared, so I don't feel much."

He placed his hands on mine, rubbing the ring on my finger. Our engagement ring. "Really?" He asked as I looked him in his eyes. Those soft brown eyes that felt so warm. Why did they look so assuring? Is it because they reminded me of Key? 

My eyes stung as tears were forming. I quickly faked a smile before pulling of my hands from his, not sure what to say. "Let's go somewhere nice."

Jonghyun blinked at me. Then nodded with a thin smile, understanding my awkward situation. 

 

Author's POV

Her mother looked at Joohyun in awe. 

"Darling." She gasped. "You look beautiful."

Joohyun smiled at her mother, then turned to the mirror to see her own reflection. She did look beautiful.

Her gown had laced long sleeves that ringed at her middle fingers as more silky material hugged around her hips, showing her perfect curves. Her skirt was silk overlapped with layers of laces and cotton, making it look puffed and fluffy. It was dress anyone would dream of.

She smiled at herself, though she couldn't help but let a single tear drop roll down her cheek. How she wished Key could see her in that dress. He would have smiled widely at her and tell her how lovely she looked. 

"You look like a bride any man would be lucky to have. Jonghyun is certainly a very lucky man." Her mother mumbled to herself.  Joohyun stepped towards her and hugged her. "Thank you."

The crowd started to build as more guests arrived. Joohyun's mother went out to greet everybody as they came in, while she sat alone in her room just after her makeup was done. 

"My bride looks stunning." 

She turned around to see Jonghyun, who just entered the room, closing the door behind him while smiling at her. He wore a classic tuxedo handsomely with a red bow tie and had his hair done in a fashionably attractive style. She got up to face him as he eyed her from top to bottom, grinning. 

"You look amazing Joo." He said, making her smile. "I always am, aren't I?" She teased. He chuckled at her cockiness. 

"I'm just worried somebody else would try to take you from me because your so beautiful." He joked back. She smiled again. "Who could in America?" 

He shrugged. "How about in Korea?" The words blurted out from his mouth. Her smile faded, then she looked down. Jonghyun mentally slapped himself a few times after realising what he just said. Pretending as if he doesn't know, he pulled up her chin so that she was looking at him. "Something wrong?"

Joohyun shook her head and turned away to take in a deep breath. 

 

Jonghyun's POV

I saw her taking in a deep breath before looking at me and smiling. Her fake smile again. Damn it Jonghyun. Why are you so stupid? I scolded myself. 

Looking at her, her sad face, her breaking heart, her invisible tears, I knew too well. She wasn't happy. No matter how hard I've tried, she was never happy. And I'm pretty sure, she will never be happy. What can I do?

"Joohyun."

She looked at me innocently. 

"We're.. Getting married. Today."

She looked down and nodded silently.

"Are you.. Okay with that?"

She kept silent.

"Joohyun." I placed my hands on her cheek, pulling her to face me. I saw them. Tears.

"You're going to be my wife. My lifetime partner."

More tears.

"Are you sure about this?" I asked while looking into her eyes.

"I...I don't know." She finally confessed. I quickly pulled her into a hug as her tears started pouring out. I knew what she was thinking. She was thinking about him. She still loved him, I knew it. If I could make her happy, there would be only one thing I could do for her. And even though it may sound crazy, or impossible, I would do it for the sake of her happiness.

She wiped her tears and pulled out from the hug. I looked at her and smiled. Placing my hand under her chin, I pulled her into a soft, gentle kiss, assuring her that there nothing to worry. She had the softest most sweetest lips that made me go crazy for a moment, but I had to let go. She opened her eyes slowly, and fake smiled at me again. 

"Go." I simply said. Her smile disappeared and she frowned in confusion and blinked at me. I held up my hand, showing a ring. Her ring. She stared at it for a moment then at her own hand. "Our engagement ring."

"It's off. Now just run and go." 

"What? Where?"

"To Korea. To him."

She kept looking at me, frowning like I was crazy.

"This is your only chance Joo. It's now or never. I can buy some time before your mum finds out your gone. I'm sure he'll be waiting for you. Key." I told her. Her eyes widened, trying to figure out if what I said was true or a dream. "I've got some cash in my wallet I left in your house. Go take it and buy your ticket quickly before you miss the flight. The last time I checked, the flight to Seoul was at 1.30pm."

A smile formed on her lips slowly as she tried to process the words I said to her. At last, a genuine smile. My heart skipped a beat when I saw her happy face light up. Never had I seen her so happy before. It was truly beautiful. 

"Jonghyun. How.. How can I thank you?" She squealed while hugging me. "Just have a safe flight. That would be good enough." I replied. "Now go." I gently pushed her towards the door, smiling.

Suddenly the door opened.

"Dad.." Joohyun whimpered. "I.."

"You're leaving?" Mr. Park questioned. I didn't know what to say. The both of us kept quiet. Her father put his hand on his daughters shoulders, his eyes twinkling with tears as he smiled at her. "Joohyun-ah, if this is what you really want.. Then go."

We both looked up at him and smiled. Joohyun smiled wider and hugged her father in joy. "Thank you appa! Thank you so much!"

"I can't bear to see my daughter marry someone she doesn't love. I'm so sorry I couldn't defend you from your mothers decisions. I guess, this is the best I can do. Be happy my dear." He blessed her while she hugged him harder. "I love you appa. Thank you. I promise I'll never let you down."

"Now go, before your mother finds out. Go safely." He rushed and opened the door for her. 

I watched as she went out cautiously, carrying her gown with her, then the door closed. That was the last of her I'll ever see I guessed. I just smiled to myself. This is going to one hell of a day for us then.

 

Author's POV

Joohyun ran out of the door and down the staircase, making sure nobody could see her. Just a few more steps down, she stopped, looking through the rails. A couple walked pass her and she froze. Luckily they were so caught up in their conversation that they didn't notice her. 'Phew, that was close.' She thought.

She quickly and lightly tiptoed down the remaining steps and out of the building, through the second exit where there wasn't many people. 'At last, I'm out.'

But getting out was probably the least of her problems. 

 

Joohyun's POV

Damn it. This is super weird. I'm out here, at the side of the road, wearing a wedding gown. How am I supposed to get home now? 

My determined side of me fought back. I'm getting home no matter what. I grabbed my skirt, pulling it up to allow some space for me to move and started waving my hands, trying to hail a car. People must think I'm crazy.

After what it seemed like hours, though it was only 10 minutes, a car finally pulled up infront of me. Yesss! 

"Runaway bride?" A friendly voice spoke jokingly as he tuned down the window. A young man, amazingly korean, roughly around my age smiled at me. I looked inside to see him better and saw a girl beside him. His girlfriend I guess? I smiled.

"Yeah, you could say that. You think you can drop me off at my house?" I responded. He moved his head, gesturing me to get in the car. I smiled in appreciation and got in.

"Where's home?"

"Not to far." I said before showing him the way to go.

"I'm Lee Taemin by the way. And this my girlfriend Shin Soyoung." He introduced awhile Soyoung waved at me. What nice people. I thought before introducing myself to them.

"So what's the story? Groom went all crazy?" He asked. I just smiled to myself, trying to contain my laugh. 

"Not really. It's pretty complicated."

"We're all ears." Soyoung grinned at me. I smiled back. Well, come to think of it, I never stopped smiling since I left the building.

"Well, if you really want to know, I was seperated from my boyfriend and forced to marry somebody that I didn't love." They both gasped. "That's why I ran away. Well, not actually. The groom was okay with it, and he told me to go."

"So now, you're going home. Won't your parents find you there later?" Taemin asked. I giggled. "Who said I was going to stay there? I'm just going to get my things, then I'm heading to the airport with my own car."

"Airport?" They both chorused.

"Yeah. My boyfriend's in Korea." 

The couple gasped again. "You're one person I'll never forget Joohyun-ssi." Taemin said in awe, then got interrupted by his girlfriend. "So you'll be flying there as soon as you get the tickets huh?" I nodded in reply. 

Once we reached to my house, I quickly opened the door and thanked them before stepping out. Then I ran into the house and quickly started rummaging through my closet. I got a big luggage bag and dumped in all the clothes I could find in it. 

After a few minutes, I came downstairs with the heavy luggage in my hands, struggling with my long gown at the same time. It's a miracle I didn't trip. Just before going out, I spotted Jonghyun's wallet. I grabbed it and pulled out his cash, mentally thanking him again and ran out with my car keys in my hands.

But before I could click on them, I noticed that Taemin's car was still waiting outside.

"Hey!" Soyoung called out. "Airport parking payments are really expensive you know." I smiled. Damn, they're really nice people.

Taemin drove me all the way to the airport and our conversations were never boring. The three of us talked as if we were already best friends. Well, we mainly talked about my 'runaway bride' story. I was cool with that.

We finally reached the airport and he helped me with my luggage. I gave him and Soyoung both a hug before thanking them bunches. They kept telling me that it was no problem and finally wished the best for my love life. I'll never forget them.

I ran to the ticket counter, still struggling with my gown, and having all eyes on me. 

"Excuse me. When is the next flight to Seoul, Korea?" I asked desperately. The counter lady looked at me wide eyed up to down, then grinned. She must think I'm crazy. "The flight to Seoul, Korea will depart at 1.30pm, miss."

I looked at the time. It was 1pm. "Do you still have tickets?"

 

Key's POV in Seoul, Korea.

The clock ticked beside me. That was the only sound I could hear since the house was so empty. Since she left. I guess I went crazy on the first few weeks of her absence. I remember my friends saying I'm crazy. I remember drinking every single night, and waking up in the morning on the bathroom floor. My hair grew, my eyes had dark circles, my mind wasn't straight anymore.

I guess it took me sometime to come back to my senses. 

It had been 3 months now. I was it 4? I don't know. I just, never got to get her out of my head. My one true love. 

I sighed, getting up from the couch to get a drink. I opened the frige to find some soda, but it was empty. Only a bottle of beer remained at the corner. "Might just as well completely empty the fridge I suppose." I mumbled.

I took the beer in my hands and grabbed a glass then walked back to the couch. Sitting down, I slammed the glass and bottle onto the coffe table infront of me and popped the bottle open. 

After pouring the glass full, I carried in the air for a toast. "To being alone." I said loudly, making my voice echo through the house before gulping the whole drink down in one shot. Well, almost a shot.

Halfway through, I though I heard a loud knock on the door that startled me. I jumped slightly, spilling the beer and coughing. , who the hell is that?

Wiping my mouth with my sleeve, I carelessly got up and walked to the door angrily. I mean, who wants to see me now? And whoever it is, they better get ready for a grumpy nag from me.

I swung open the door, and I swear, I swear I saw her infront of me. What's more, she was in a wedding gown, panting like she's just ran a mile.

I frowned. Really frowned. My stupid head is playing tricks with me again. Must be the beer. Ignoring my sense of sights, I asked. "What is it?"

She looked at me with her glowing eyes, tearing up fast. "Oppa.." Her little voice squeaked. My eyes widened.

"J..Joohyun?"