Last Chance

Last Chance

"I don't know how you're going to do it, but you are going to forget that boy!"

"I'm your mother. I know what's best for you."

"You're going to get married Joo. Wake up! You can't keep holding on to the past."

"You have a new man in your life. Move on."

"Go out with him. Get to know him more. He's perfect for you."

"You are going out tonight with him young lady! No excuses!"

Her mother's words kept replaying in her mind as she sat on her bed with a pillow in her hands, starring at the clock. He'll be here in an hour. She sighed.

She wiped her silent tears and walked to the bathroom to get ready, not wanting to cause anymore trouble. She had caused enough.

"Joohyun! Are you ready yet?" Her mother called from downstairs.

"Ne, I'll be down in a while." 

 

Joohyun's POV

Eomma was calling me already. Aish, she's never patient isn't she? I washed up and put on a simple dress before touching up some powder to cover up my red nose. Then I walked downstairs and saw eomma waiting for me.

"Darling, you look lovely." She said while grinning at me. Just then the doorbell rung. Eomma's face lit up brightly and she ran to open the door. I sighed heavily before faking a smile towards the door as she swung it open.

"Hello Mrs Park." He greeted. My smile faded. 

"Hello Jonghyun! This is my daughter, Park Joohyun."

He extended his hand towards me and smiled sweetly. "Nice to meet you again, Joohyun-ssi."

 

Author's POV

Joohyun took his hand and shook it, still a little bit surprised. This was the guy she saw who sat beside her at the aeroplane.

"Hello, Jonghyun-ssi."

The two of them share a small conversation before heading out. He brought her for lunch and then a walk in the park. But nothing unusual happened. Nothing special, nothing sweet. It was just a normal day, getting to know someone new. Well, at least it was for Joohyun.

Jonghyun tried all he could to make a spark happen between them. Of course he would. This was his future wife going out with him. But it looked like she wasn't playing along and he just kept disappointing himself. 

 

Jonghyun's POV

I tried everything. What is wrong with her? It's like she doesn't know that we're getting married. I mean, I'm sure she knows right? 

Her mother told me so much about her. I guess I fell in love with her already, just listening to her mother's stories of her. She is beautiful. But why isn't she as cheerful as what her mother said she would be? 

Should I ask? Or maybe I should wait till we get to know each other even more.

 

Author's POV

"What are you talking about!? I am her mother! I know what's best for her."

"But dear, you must understand. She isn't a child." Joohyun's father tried to reason out.

"Her choice does not please me. Look at Jonghyun. He's a darling. Why can't she pick out someone like him?"

"She loves that boy, Kibum. He's a good kid you know. I've met him."

"I don't care. He looks just like his useless father." Joohyun's mother sneered.

"Our daughter is upset. Don't you care for her happiness? She can't live with someone she doesn't love."

Her mother silenced, just before they heard the door knock.

"I'm back.." Joohyun came in with her bored fake-smiling face. "Where is your fiancé?" Her mother questioned. 

"He went home. I waved him goodbye outside just now." She replied while walking up the stairs to her room. Her parents gave each other questioned looks and then looked back at her.

Days passed the same way. Everyday Jonghyun would come over to pick her up, they'd go out for lunch or dinner, then a stroll somewhere else, then back home. Joohyun was used to it already. She even started to feel closer to Jonghyun, but that's as close as they got. No special feelings at all. 

All Joohyun could think of was of Key.

How she missed him so much. How she wanted him beside her so badly. How she wished she never left him.

 

Jonghyun's POV

Okay, I gotta look my best. Mrs and Mr Park invited me for dinner, this time Joohyun will be there. I need to impress her. I looked at myself in the mirror, turning left and right to see myself properly in my tuxedo. Not bad. 

I clicked on my car keys and drove to her house, thinking of ways to get Joohyun to cheer up.

"Oh hello Jonghyun! Come in dear, come in. Joohyun will be here in a while. She's just getting ready." Mrs Park greeted me happily once I arrived. She made me sit down on the couch next to her husband, and started talking about how excited Joohyun was about tonight.

I don't think that was true. I mean, Mrs Park probably just wanted me to feel happy. Mr Park on the hand, seemed quiet. 

"Right, I'll be getting some drinks. Will be right back okay?" Mrs Park hummed as she got up and walked to the kitchen. The atmostphere was a little bit awkward so I decided to strike up a conversation with the quiet father.

"We'll, Joohyun is taking her time huh?" I joked.

"Hm? Oh yeah. She is." Mr Park answered a little hesitantly.

"I doubt she's as excited as what Mrs Park said she was." I tried to joke again.

"I doubt it too."

Uh, was he serious? I kept quiet for awhile, before gathering the courage to ask.

"Was she always this, uh, this less cheerful?"

He looked at me suddenly. His eyes, they looked somehow, sad. "You noticed?" He asked back. What did he mean by that?

"She used to be the most happiest girl in the family. Our little angel. Then she fell in love." He spoke softly. I blinked a few times at him, not fully understanding his words. Did he mean that she used to have another fiancé? 

Then he continued. "My wife won't be happy if she knew I told you this, but I guess, you need to know. I wouldn't want you to judge her wrongly." I placed my hand to my chest. "No no. I never did."

"That's good then." He sighed, then kept quiet. "Um Mr Park." I slowly said. "What, um, happened to her?" He glanced at me, giving me a strange look, then rested back at the couch.

"She went to Korea for her studies for about three years. That's when she met this boy, Kibum, or who she calls, Key." He explained. "They fell in love. At that same time, our family was broke and I was in need of a new job. Key's father was the owner of a huge company. So I sent a résumé there. He rejected it. My wife was furious and hated Key because of what his father did. 

I never hated them, it was just my wife. It wasn't even their fault. My resume wasn't convincing enough, what can he do about it? What's more, Key is just an innocent boy. He and my daughter were so in love. But because of my wife, they had to leave each other. I feel bad for her Jonghyun."

I looked at him as years started to form in his eyes. The pain he felt for his daughter.

"She never wanted this arranged marriage. She never wanted to leave Korea. All she wanted was a happy life with the person she loves. But all her dreams were shattered. That's why she's like this now. She hardly smiles, hardly laughs, hardly even talks to us properly anymore."

I caught myself in a daze, thinking about what Mr Park told me. Suddenly I heard footsteps down the staircase. Joohyun.

"Hello. Sorry I'm late." She greeted with a smile.

A fake smile.

 

A/N: Hey! Omg, so sorry this took so long to update! I really had to think ALOT  for this chapter. This was a hard one since I was trying to make it short and simple. :3 

But thank you for being patient. And thank you so so much for not unsubscribing. :'D 

Please feel free to comment. I always reply comments. :D and up vote please. It really makes me feel happy for all the support given. :3