Chapter 12

Chasing Dreams

The sun was setting and with it came a low breeze.  It was a bit chillier up in the mountains and Raymond was thankful that Charmaine had the sense to pack him a light jacket to ward off the biting wind.  It was close to 7:30 pm and Raymond had one more scene to partake in before wrapping up for the night.  He sat in his chair while he waited for the crew to adjust the lights and go over last minute details of the scene.  He found his eyes looking around for Charmaine and when he didn't see her a frown formed on his face.  Just as he began to rise from his chair to physically go look for her, he spotted her at a distance.  She was standing with a few of the crew members sipping stale coffee left behind from lunch.  She was animated in the conversation and every few seconds she would break into a wide smile.  The smile made her entire face glow and Raymond couldn't seem to pull his gaze away from her enchanting smile.  As if feeling his eyes on her, Charmaine suddenly turned his way.  The instant their eyes met Raymond's heart increased in rhythm and he quickly looked away.

"We're ready for you Ray," the director called out to him.

Raymond jumped out of his chair and hurried over to where his co-stars waited for him.  He caught a glimpse of Charmaine trotting off to a nearby rock with her cell phone in hand.  Judging by the happy smile on her face Raymond knew she was going to call that guy Kevin Cheng from last night to firm up their plans for the evening.  He guessed correctly when she spoke softly into the phone followed by a blissful smile, before she ended the call, dropping her phone back into the back pocket of her jeans.

 

"Okay Ray, this scene is very simple.  Linda is about to jump off the cliff but you pull her back.  All I want is for you to hug her tightly from behind and say, 'I love you.'"  The director looked between Raymond and Linda and asked, "You think we could do this in one take?"

"Sure," Linda said with enthusiasm as she readied herself in front of the cliff.

"Not a problem," Raymond agreed and took his stance a few feet away from her.

The director walked over to the cameraman and with a loud shout, "Action!"

On cue, Raymond immediately grabbed Linda's shoulders and pulled her back away from the cliff's edge.  As instructed, he wrapped his arms around her fiercely and said, "Don't leave me."

"Cut!" the Director shouted.

Raymond realized his error and smiled apologetically at everyone.  "Sorry, my fault."

Linda cast him a sympathetic look and said, "We all mess up every now and then.  Even for someone with your experience," she added the latter with an impish grin then went back to her place in front of the cliff.

Raymond looked over at the Director, "I'm ready."

The Director retook his chair by the cameraman and once again shouted, "Action!"

Raymond mirrored the exact movements he made only minutes ago.  Once his arms were securely around Linda, he bent his head and said, "I can't live without you."

"Cut!" the Director shouted as he strode towards them.  Looking with concern at Raymond he asked, "Is everything alright?  It's not like you to mess up a small line like this one."

Raymond again smiled apologetically and patted the Director's shoulder.  "I'm sorry.  I'll get it right this time," he said with confidence and everyone believed it.  However, an hour later, and still with that one scene unfinished, everyone's impatience was starting to show.  Linda was openly scowling at him whenever the camera wasn't rolling and Raymond pretended not to notice her displeasure or the displeasure of the production crew.  His eyes skirted around for Charmaine and he found her perched on the hood of her car with a frustrated expression as she stared down at her cell phone.  Raymond bet she was debating whether or not to cancel her date with Kevin.  Given the late hour and knowing very well that Charmaine did not like to hold people up, Raymond knew she would cancel any second.  He almost chuckled out loud when he saw her speaking softly into her phone.  Turning his attention back to the Director he said jovially, "I promise I'll get it right this time."

The Director eyed him skeptically and with a heavy sigh went back to his chair.  "We'll try it again and hopefully this time will be it.  Ready… Action!"

Charmaine replaced her phone back into the back pocket of her jeans.  She felt bad for cancelling out on Kevin at such last minute but who would have thought that Raymond Lam would screw up over a one line take.  If she hadn't been looking forward to a night out with Kevin and then saddened that she won't be able to make it, she would have took joy in seeing His Majesty fumble his lines, not once, but over and over again.  Looking over at the filming scene she was surprised that everyone has now disbanded and was packing up their equipments.  She grabbed one of the lighting technicians who was passing by her, "Are we done?"

"Yes!" the young technicians answered gleefully.  Leaning in towards Charmaine, he whispered, "And about time too.  I'm starving."

Charmaine laughed and after bidding him a goodnight she hurried over to where Raymond was waiting for her.

"Where were you?" Raymond snapped the moment he saw her approach.

Bending to begin with her own packing, Charmaine replied tersely, "I was on the phone and didn't realize you guys were finished."

Raymond zipped up his jacket and picked up one of the duffel bags that Charmaine had just packed.  "We've been done for over five minutes and you were too busy chatting on the phone to notice."

Charmaine heard the sarcasm in his voice and giving him a glare she said tightly, "I was not chatting on the phone but in fact cancelling out on a dinner date because YOU can't seem to get your line straight."

"Listen guys," the Director suddenly appeared beside them.  "I hate to interrupt your… huh… disagreement but you guys better hurry and pack before the rain starts pouring."

Raymond tilted his head up to the darkening sky where he could still see a shadow of the sun across the horizon.  "What rain?"

Just as his words were out there was a clap of thunder followed by a torrid of heavy rain.  The Director quickly made a tent over his head with his hands and dashed in the direction of his car, "I'll see you guys tomorrow," he called out without even turning his head to look at them.

Already soaked from head to toe, Charmaine continued to shove Raymond's clothes and items into the second duffel bag.  Out of the corner of her eyes she saw Raymond standing there watching her with an expression she can't make it.  Infuriated that he wasn't helping her and instead standing there and letting her do all the work, she yelled, "Can you give me a hand here?"

In one fluid motion, Raymond zipped up the bag and threw it over his shoulder along with the first one.  "Instead of yelling at me, why don't you open the car doors so we can get out of this rain."

Charmaine made an angry huff but nevertheless did as told.  She jumped into the van and soon Raymond was in as well.

"Did you pack an extra set of clothes for me?" Raymond asked, his eyes already scanning the interior of the van to see if there was another bag lying somewhere.

"It's under the seats behind you," Charmaine said as she took a bunch of napkins and began dabbing at her clothes in an effort to dry herself.  She was drenched and no amount of napkins can dry her at this point.  She would just have to wait until she gets home to get out of these wet clothes.

Sitting behind her, Raymond rummaged through the bag he just pulled out until he found what he was looking for.  "Here," he said gruffly.

Charmaine turned in her seat to look at him and was surprised by what she saw.  In his outstretched hand was a pile of clothes and a nice thick towel, both of which looked invitingly dry to Charmaine.  "What?" was all she could manage.

Raymond rolled his eyes as if needing to explain was a hassle to him.  He waved the items and snickered, "You're wet aren't you?  Dry yourself and change into these."

Charmaine hesitated, unsure of whether to take up on his generous offer.  There must be a hidden agenda somewhere behind his generosity and she wanted to know what it was beforehand.  Looking at him warily she asked, "Why?"

Instead of answering her, Raymond shoved the towel and clothes into her hands and hissed, "Stop being so suspicious of my every gesture.  Just change so that we could leave."

Charmaine hugged the clothes to her body, thankful that she won't be stuck wearing these uncomfortably wet clothes for the duration of the drive back into the city.  Then another thought occurred to her.  "Where am I going to change into this?"

Raymond locked his eyes on hers and with a lazy smile said, "In here of course."