Chapter 13

Chasing Dreams

It was so typical of him to make a lewd suggestion like that.  Narrowing her eyes to slits, Charmaine made a hissing sound and said with derision, "If you think I'm going to provide a free peep show for you, then you're out of your mind!"

"I didn't suggest it for the reason you just given," Raymond replied and giving her a glance over he continued dryly, "You don't appeal to me.  You could be standing and flaunting yourself in front of me and I wouldn't even give you a second glance."  He saw the fury leap into her eyes and quickly added, "I only thought you'll be more comfortable driving in dry clothes."

Accepting his explanation but still ticked off by his insult, Charmaine grudgingly asked, "And how am I supposed to change with you here?"

Using his thumb, Raymond gestured at the row of seats behind him.  "Back there.  Now would you stop wasting time arguing with me, and quickly change so that we can get out of here before the rain gets any harder and you won't be able to drive at all."

Charmaine debated on whether to take his advice and looking out the window it does look as if the rain will only come down harder.  If that happens, driving conditions will only delay their return to the city.  More important, she wanted to get out of her wet clothes which hung on her like a wet sponge.  It would be extremely uncomfortable driving in them since the ride back to Raymond's place would take over an hour.  Giving him a hard glare she nevertheless walked to the row of seats behind him.  "Don't you dare turn around," she warned and kneeled on the floor, keeping her eyes glued to the back of his head.

Raymond leaned back and stretched his legs out in front of him.  "I wouldn't dream of it," he said snidely and took out his phone and began playing with it.

Feeling somewhat in control, Charmaine quickly removed her wet tee shirt and dropped it on the floor.  Her jeans were a bit more difficult to remove but after some struggling she managed to get it off.  She darted a quick glance at Raymond's head and sure enough, he was still looking down in front of him, probably playing games on his phone.  Taking the large fluffy towel Raymond had given her, Charmaine got up from her knees to sit on the seats and began patting herself dry.

Raymond lifted his eyes to the rearview mirror and had a perfect view of Charmaine in the row of seats behind him.  She was sitting horizontally across the seats, her knees drawn up while she ran the towel up and down her legs.  Although he couldn't see everything but it was enough to know that she possessed curves in all the right places.  He wondered why he didn't notice it before.  She had now finished drying herself and was pulling on his clothes.  He saw her frown when she unfolded his old tee shirt.  It was big on her and the material was far thinner than the type he sees her wear.  Nevertheless she pulled it over her head and picked up the next item which happens to be an old pair of sweats.  When she was fully dressed gain, Raymond quickly lowered his gaze back to his phone and pretended to be immersed in his game.

"I'm done," Charmaine said and walked around him back to the driver's seat.  She dumped her wet clothes and his towel into an empty plastic bag.  She noted that Raymond didn't say a word and out of curiosity she turned around to look at him.  "I'm going to start the car now," she announced just for the sake of saying something.

Raymond looked up at her, his expression unreadable.  He was still trying to shake off the image of her toweling herself and how ily appealing she had looked from his mind.  "Yeah, fine," he mumbled before quickly averting his eyes.

What's the matter with him now?  Just minutes ago he had been concerned about her comfort and now he's acting all aloof with her again.  Charmaine can't seem to keep up with his many moods and trying to gauge what they were was vexing and exhausting, both of which she didn’t have time for or even cared enough about to figure out.  With a shrug, she turned her attention back to the road in front of her and started the car.  As she backed out of the space she threw a furtive glance at the rearview mirror and suddenly pressed hard on the brakes causing Raymond to lurch forward hitting his head in the back of her seat.

"Ouch!  Why did you do that?" Raymond yelled, his hand clutching his head.

Shifting the gear to park, Charmaine turned in her seat to glare hotly at him.  "You were watching me change weren't you?"

Looking away from her accusing eyes, Raymond said offhandedly, "You're crazy!  Just get me home."

"You were watching me from the rearview mirror!" Charmaine bit out as anger flooded her cheeks turning them a pink hue.

"I was not!" Raymond denied vehemently lifting his eyes back to hers.  Charmaine had no idea of the vision she presented to Raymond at this second with her damp hair that curled in waves around her face and his thin tee shirt revealing more than concealing.  She looked positively stunning and he never seen any woman look that y without even trying to.  He couldn't seem to take his eyes off her.

Seeing the direction of his gaze, Charmaine quickly crossed her arms over her chest and snapped, "What are you looking at?!"

Embarrassed at being caught staring, Raymond looked away and sighed with impatience.  "Listen, I've already told you that you don't appeal to me.  So stop with your drama and take me home."  He then removed his jacket and tossed it to her.

Looking inquiringly down at his jacket, she asked warily, "What's this for?"

"To cover yourself since you're so afraid of exposing yourself," Raymond replied sarcastically and just as his words were out he plugged earphones into his ears and abruptly looked out the window.

Without any further words, Charmaine hastily slipped into Raymond's jacket and zipped it all the way up.  She shifted the gear back to drive and took a glance at the rearview mirror.  She was taken aback to find Raymond looking at her through it and as soon as their eyes met, he quickly looked away.

-----------------------------------------------

Kevin stood outside of Natalie's office and waited for her to acknowledge his presence.  After a few seconds when she still didn't notice him, he loudly cleared his throat.  That got her attention immediately and he smiled, "I hope I'm not interrupting anything."

"Of course not," Natalie smiled in return.  She closed the file she had been reading and motioned for him to come in.  "Why are you still here?"  She made a quick glance at her watch, "It's past 8:00 pm already."

Kevin chuckled and sat down in front of her.  "You're not the only hardworking employee in this company you know," he teased.

Natalie could not help but like Kevin.  He was friendly and had a good sense of humor.  Not to mention extremely handsome and charming.  He was a good match for Charmaine and Natalie sincerely hoped that her initial efforts in getting them together would succeed.  "What brings you here?"

"I was actually on my way out when I notice that your office lights were on.  So I thought I take a peep and see if you're really still here."

Glancing at the file she had closed only moments ago, Natalie said forlornly, "I have so much work to do that I practically spend all my time here.  It's sad but the truth.  Sometimes I don't even get the chance to eat."

"That's not good," Kevin remarked and stood up from his chair.  Holding his arm out to her he said, "Come on, let me buy you dinner.  After that, if you want you can come back and finish some of your work."

Natalie stood up but didn't take his arm.  Instead she looked at it curiously and asked, "Why would you offer to buy me dinner?"  She saw Kevin blush and thought she had an idea.  With a smirk on her face she taunted, "Are you trying to fish information about a certain friend of mine's?"

Kevin laughed, "I knew you were smart!"

Natalie laughed along with him, placing her hand on his arm.  As they walked to the elevators, she said, "Information will cost you a lot more than a mere dinner."

Kevin grinned and lowering his voice he said, "I'm willing to pay any price as long as your information will help in my pursuit of your friend."

Natalie nodded her head in approval.  "That's what I like about you.  You know what you want and you make a go for it."

Stepping off the elevators, Kevin said with humor, "Now that I know what you like, let's move on to your friend.  Tell me what she likes."