Chapter 7

Chasing Dreams

The morning came too soon for Charmaine.  Shielding her eyes with her hand from the blaring sun's ray she yawned and stretched herself out.  She had yet another long day ahead of her and still reeling from the events from yesterday, she grudgingly swung her legs off the bed.  She didn't know how much longer she can put up with Raymond Lam and his despicable behavior.  The man was insufferable, an egotistical bastard and have no disregard for those around him.

After being told to drive the car around to pick him up, Charmaine waited almost a half hour before he finally appeared.  He staggered out of the club with Miss young and beautiful in his arms.  Without a look her way, the two of them got into the van and began kissing and pawning each other as if she was invisible.  Stunned by their openness, Charmaine kept her eyes averted and hurriedly slipped behind the wheel.  Just get them back to Raymond's place and she'll be rid of him for the night.  That was the original plan until the and panting started.  Shocked by their level of indecency, Charmaine dared a quick glance at the rearview mirror and what she saw made her heart stop.  Here she was driving down the highway while Mr. Big Shot Celebrity and his catch of the night were going at it in the back seat.  The backseat of HER van!  So shock was she by what was happening she lost focus on the road and nearly hit a passing car.  This was too much for her to handle.  Never had she been subjected to this type of behavior or obscenity.  Enraged, Charmaine floored the gas pedal and made a sharp turn down the ramp.  The abrupt turn caused the couple in her back seat to fall onto the floor.

"Ouch!" Raymond shrieked when his head bumped against the back of the driver's seat.

Charmaine continued driving steadily the rest of the way towards Raymond's place.  She heard them scrambling on the floor to get up and suppressed an urge to giggle.  That's what they get for putting her in this situation.  She knew she was being petty and maybe even a bit childish but it felt good to exact some payback on His Majesty for a change.  Turning a few corners and not hearing another sound from them, she darted a quick glance at the rearview mirror and her breath caught in .  Raymond Lam had quietly slipped back onto the seat without her knowing and he was looking at her in such a way that Charmaine wished she hadn't done what she did.  Looking fretfully away from his piercing gaze, she pulled the van to a stop in front of his building.  Still without looking at him, she muttered, "You're home."

Miss young and beautiful immediately slid the door open and jumped off.  She leaned against a street lamp while she waited for Raymond

Charmaine could feel Raymond's gaze burning the back of head and still she refuse to look at him.  In a much stronger voice she repeated, "You're home."

"I heard you the first time," Raymond gritted, his voice firm and cold.  He suddenly leaned forward in his seat and stuck his face in front of Charmaine so that she was forced to look at him.  "You think that was funny?" he asked with false sweetness.

Charmaine heard the underlying fury in this tone and felt fear creep into her.  She wondered would he physically harm her.  That was ridiculous!  Raymond Lam may be a snobby celebrity but she doubted he was some sort of sadist.  Of course he won't harm her!  Accepting her own reasoning, she smiled innocently at him and said timidly, "I don't think I know what you're talking about."

"You don't?"  Raymond asked, again in that false sweet voice that instead of assuring her had the opposite effect.

Charmaine didn't know why but she was beginning to feel uneasy by the cold intense way he was looking at her.  "I-It's late.  Y-You should really go home."

Raymond suddenly smiled.  "Yes, it's late.  We all need some rest."  He jumped off the van.  He placed a hand on the handle of the door and began sliding it close but stopped halfway.  "We'll continue this discussion tomorrow.  Have a good night."

And that was how the night ended for Charmaine.  Thinking back to it, Charmaine knew trouble lay ahead for her today.  From all the time she spent with Raymond Lam she knew he was not a forgiving person, and neither is he one to forget something so easily.  He was definitely going to settle the score with her and Charmaine would have to prepare herself for the worse.  But what could be worse than what he's already done to her.  Making her serve him like some sort of ancient palace maid and not to mention the voyeurism he subjected her to last night.  Nope, it can't get any worse.

"Charmaine, Jazz is on the phone for you," Natalie called out from her closed bedroom door.

Jazz!  He's calling to inform her that he's coming back to work.  The news brought a genuine smile to Charmaine's face and feeling like her old cheery self again, she stepped out of her room to answer the call in the living room.  "Jazz!  I'll give you his schedule and…"

"That's not what I'm calling about," Jazz interrupted, his voice coarse and choked.

"Are you alright?" Charmaine asked immediately.  "Is Auntie…"

There was a moment's pause before Jazz spoke again.  "She's not in any danger right now but she has to undergo another surgery.  Although the first surgery was successful in removing the tumor from her body but the doctors here in Hong Kong don't have the confidence to remove the tumor from her brain.  She has to go to London for the second surgery."

Charmaine heard the misery in Jazz's voice and felt a lump in .  Swallowing it down she asked softly, "Is there anything I can do to help?"

"There is, and that's why I'm calling.  I know you don't like assisting Raymond Lam but I've tried calling everyone I know and no one is available.  Can you continue assisting him until I return from London?"

"I will," Charmaine forced herself to say.  She didn't want to but for Jazz's sake and his peace of mind, she'll do it.  "How long will you be gone for?"

"The surgery is scheduled for the end of the month and after the surgery she would be in intensive care for some time.  I don't know exactly how long but I'm guessing two to three months."

Two to three months?!  Charmaine screamed in her head.  How was she going to put up with Raymond Lam for that long?!  Nevertheless, despite her inward objections, she said, "I'll do my best to make sure he's pampered in the same way he was by you before you took your leave.  I promise you."

She heard Jazz sob softly on the other end and then he said with emotion, "Thanks so much Charmaine.  You're a great friend."

Charmaine smiled to herself.  The feeling of being able to help someone in need overrode the unpleasantness of the job ahead of her, even if that unpleasant job meant being stuck with Raymond Lam for a few months.  "Anything for a friend.  I wish Auntie good luck on her surgery and a speedy recovery."  They hung up after saying goodbye and the promise to keep each other up to date on everything.

Looking gloomily out the window, Charmaine didn't hear Natalie sit down beside her.  "Why do you look as if you're going to die soon?" Natalie inquired.

Charmaine turned to look at her friend and said bleakly, "Maybe because that's how I'm feeling and will be feeling for the next few months."

-----------------------------------------------------

Raymond came out of the shower with a towel tied loosely around his hips.  He picked up his watch from his dresser and looked at the time.  She has ten minutes to get over here and she better not be late.  Just thinking about Charmaine Sheh irritated him.  He had never met anyone so headstrong and stubborn in his life.  And her lack of respect for him irked him the most.  He spent a restless night debating on whether to order Jazz back to work.  He knew he shouldn't but he seriously can't stand Charmaine Sheh any longer.  It was only after he made up his mind that he WAS going to call Jazz back to work that he finally fell into a dreamless sleep.  He had still been sleeping when Jazz's unexpected call woke him up.  He listened without a word to Jazz's emotion rambling about his mother.  Feeling a heaviness in his heart, Raymond told Jazz to take all the time he needed to care for his mother.  He even lied about getting along with Charmaine so that Jazz could rest assure while caring for his mother.  Now that the deal was done, Raymond felt the full impact of his decision, made solely based on emotions rather than what was practical.  Practical meaning not having someone whom he despises work for him.  But it was too late and there were no other alternatives.  No sense in dwelling on it.  He pulled out a shirt from his closet but before he got a chance to put it on, he heard the doorbell.  At least she has the decency to arrive on time, he noted sourly and went to open the door for her.

Charmaine heard the soft click of locks turning and lifted her lips in a small smile.  Since she was stuck with him she might as well make the most of it.  The door opened and she greeted, "Good morning…" she trailed off when she saw the white towel hanging extremely low around his hips.  Looking anywhere but at him, she stammered, "You're not dressed!"

"How observant of you," Raymond remarked dryly and leaving the door open walked away.

Charmaine stood paralyzed outside his apartment for a few seconds.  What's wrong with her?  It's not as if he was totally .  He has a towel covering him.  Feeling foolish for overacting, she stepped inside and closed the door softly behind her.  Not seeing him anywhere she called out, "I picked up your suit."

"I'm in the bedroom.  Bring it in," Raymond called out.

With her fingers hooked around the curve of the hanger she walked into bedroom and stopped.  Raymond was now completely , and through the full length mirror he was standing in front of, their eyes met and held.

With her heart thundering against her chest, Charmaine thought she heard Raymond say, "Tell me if you see anything you like."